Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice: Become a teacher

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Treppen

Because they are likeable and interesting people, and for some subjects like history or science knew their subject very well. Very little to do with teacher training.

Also it's not like they're filtering out the bad teachers. It's like picking straws which one you're going to get. You know French or the Science syllabus backwards and forwards and you're set.

A better analogy to me seems more like taxi-driving or multi-drop driving when you are only familiar with personal driving. I'm sure it takes a while to get good, but at the end of the day it's the same game.

Your talking about mere content knowledge. You can get most of that on wikipedia.

Teachers need Pedagogical content knowledge add some child/adolescent psychology and simmer with a background in sociology while you're at it.

You're telling teachers on here that they don't know their own job as well as you do.

Even Dunning–Kruger would be scratching their heads at the hurlers on the ditch in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Treppen wrote: »
    So you reckon it only becomes cushy at point 12?

That's obviously not what I'm saying. I'm saying that if I could transfer across at the same level of seniority i'd change, in a heartbeat. Even though it would involve a substantial paycut, the holidays and work life balance would be worth it.

However, I like many people, wouldn't be able to justify/afford two years out of work to be in full time education, to be then effectively starting at the bottom of the career ladder again. It's a huge barrier to career change, one that the "if teaching is so handy, why don't you do it" brigade fail to acknowledge.

That barrier still doesn't mean that teaching isn't a relatively cushy number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Your talking about mere content knowledge. You can get most of that on wikipedia.

Teachers need Pedagogical content knowledge add some child/adolescent psychology and simmer with a background in sociology while you're at it.

You're telling teachers on here that they don't know their own job as well as you do.

Even Dunning–Kruger would be scratching their heads at the hurlers on the ditch in this thread.

At this point Treppen, I'm just laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭griffin100

A simpleton is easily amused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

What are the prospects of some 25 year old with an arts degree become a teacher? How do you do it?

• Advertisement

Austria! wrote: »
    What are the prospects of some 25 year old with an arts degree become a teacher? How do you do it?

Primary?
    Secondary?
    What subjects?
    What location are you living in?

Prospects.... Pot luck but can depend on the above

If it's primary and you have male genetalia ...Do you or have you ever played county?

Know anyone?

Do you own a town or chipvan?

I don't think your mummy would appreciate that sort of carry on in my class...
    ... and I'm well aware of what mummy appreciates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Biggest bunch of moaners, and they make FANTASTIC money considering the 12 hour weeks and 4 months holidays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Secondary school teachers work hard for 114 days of the year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

If it's primary and you have male genetalia

Curious - how would this help prospects?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

That's obviously not what I'm saying. I'm saying that if I could transfer across at the same level of seniority i'd change, in a heartbeat. Even though it would involve a substantial paycut, the holidays and work life balance would be worth it.

However, I like many people, wouldn't be able to justify/afford two years out of work to be in full time education, to be then effectively starting at the bottom of the career ladder again. It's a huge barrier to career change, one that the "if teaching is so handy, why don't you do it" brigade fail to acknowledge.

That barrier still doesn't mean that teaching isn't a relatively cushy number.

There are without a doubt plenty of more stressful careers than teaching, but would not go so far as to call teaching "cushy".

I made the decision to enter teaching after 5 years in industry (Chemical company in England) so was in late 20's but still young enough to make the change but old enough to take things like stability, work life balance, pension etc into account.

It is a bit rich listening to people in their 30s or 40s moan about how easy teaching is but too late for them to make the change.

Exactly when did you find out that teachers got good holidays. when did the realisation hit?

Teachers, like everyone else made career choices based on a lot of factors.

In terms of "cushy number" I have worked in industry, building sites, farms, but in terms of stress and tiredness a hard day teaching is well up there.

Saying all that, some teachers do like to moan a bit too much.
    If you're suited to the career, teaching is a good job, not cushy, but good.

Curious - how would this help prospects?

Google " Why are so many GAA players becoming teachers? An Irish solution to an Irish problem "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

167 actually.

167 actually.

I work evenings lunchtimes and weekends too. Then there's a few courses I do myself on Saturdays and during the summer.

Not flat out but I find it hard to remember a time when I came home and didn't open the laptop and start with tests and prep.

Sure the holidays are good, but that's it.
    I wouldn't advise any student to do it unless money wasn't a worry for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I went to college with a lady who pulled a right fast one when she qualified. She basically taught for about 5 months across 5 years (5 out of 60 months) and got paid for the lot!

Maternity leave, holidays, sick pay, etc etc.

Now there's an excellent gig. I

I'm all for workers rights, and hey your union type might jump down your throat at the thought you'd chip at those, but the fact here is this:

Someone is having a laugh here; and someone has to pay for it.

Which camp are you in?

Fact is most don't even know which one they are. So many people floating about thinking "sher it doesn't affect me".

Good god people. Good god. People give out about boards.ie going down the gutter, but I'll tell you if there is one thing to be proud of about boards (right after captain midnights posts) it's that boards stands tall as the forum to call out the bullsh't that goes on in the Public service and the brass necks of those within the union movement.

myshirt wrote: »
    I went to college with a lady who pulled a right fast one when she qualified. She basically taught for about 5 months across 5 years (5 out of 60 months) and got paid for the lot!

Maternity leave, holidays, sick pay, etc etc.

Now there's an excellent gig. I

I'm all for workers rights, and hey your union type might jump down your throat at the thought you'd chip at those, but the fact here is this:

Which camp are you in?

Fact is most don't even know which one they are. So many people floating about thinking "sher it doesn't affect me".

Good god people. Good god. People give out about boards.ie going down the gutter, but I'll tell you if there is one thing to be proud of about boards (right after captain midnights posts) it's that boards stands tall as the forum to call out the bullsh't that goes on in the Public service and the brass necks of those within the union movement.

What, She got 5 years out of having a baby?

I don't remember that gestation period for humans.

I smell bs

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hey, dude! :) _/

I smell bs

Ah use your brain will you. She had more than one baby.

Between maternity leave, mid term breaks, sick leave (maternity related perhaps), and summer holidays etc etc, all the bells and whistles, she worked ballpark 5 months in 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I smell bs

Presumably she was banging out the babbies.

Back in my day, some 20 years ago now, there was a teacher in our school that had a few fortuitously times pregnancies that meant she was on near permanent maternity leave. Back for a couple of months, then off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

😂😂

It’s 167 days of contact time plus 33 Croke Park hours and 46 hours S&S which equates to another 4 weeks work.

Teachers in ireland have never had as any hours of work and have never had as many deductions on their pay slips.

It’s a good job and I enjoy it.

I wouldn’t and couldn’t do it if I didn’t enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

How did I miss this thread?

How did I miss this thread?

Don't worry therell always be dogs in mangers

Ah use your brain will you. She had more than one baby.

Between maternity leave, mid term breaks, sick leave (maternity related perhaps), and summer holidays etc etc, all the bells and whistles, she worked ballpark 5 months in 5 years.

So what's wrong with having babies, Should female teachers be sterilised or something?

Are they not allowed to be sick either?

Jaysus the bitterness is fierce in this one.

Presumably she was banging out the babbies.

Back in my day, some 20 years ago now, there was a teacher in our school that had a few fortuitously times pregnancies that meant she was on near permanent maternity leave. Back for a couple of months, then off again.

What, women having the cheek to take maternity leave?

Well, I, never!

Shur don't they have two boobs, she could have used them just right after giving birth and been in mammy's precious' class the next day.

Poor diddums... It's obvious this lack of education has effected you very badly.

Ja want some grinds to catch up?

So what's wrong with having babies, Should female teachers be sterilised or something?

Are they not allowed to be sick either?

Jaysus the bitterness is fierce in this one.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with taking maternity leave. It's paying her the full wage for the time off AND giving that level of holidays on top of it. And the wage itself. Teachers are way overpaid. Way, way overpaid. Something is seriously wrong if you can work no more than 5 months in 5 years and get paid a full wage plus pension when the country barely had a washer in it's arse pocket. And that wasn't even good enough for them, they went on to f"ck over their younger members to keep the gravy train going. It's insane and not something which is financially prudent. It's pure thuggery from the unions.

The three months off school was originally designed so kids could help on the farm. How outdated is that?
    Good Friday was a day off so country people could travel home as it took about 5 hours to get to Mayo from Dublin at one point. Again how dated is that? 30 grand straight out of college, or 50 grand on a FTE basis, plus pension. We don't teach finance in this country at an early age for a reason. But we do teach finance at some stage, and the game is up for these f*ckers in the next 10 years as the younger people they screwed over filter through.

Examine why Trump got in in the States. Without any deep analysis the underlying theme is the same. Young people disenfranchised and locked out of economic participation by the older generation and those pulling the levers of power. In the States it's certain people. In Ireland it's the unions and the public sector generation in the 45+ age category today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

They no longer get holidays on top of mat leave.If mat leave runs during the holidays it is just mat leave now.
    My company paid my mat leave as do many others, private and public.I think you're barking up wrong tree there to be honest.
    I do think secondary schools could move to work through the month of June nowadays though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

myshirt wrote:
    Examine why Trump got in in the States. Without any deep analysis the underlying theme is the same. Young people disenfranchised and locked out of economic participation by the older generation and those pulling the levers of power. In the States it's certain people. In Ireland it's the unions and the public sector generation in the 45+ age category today.

Its interesting that since the deunionisation of our economies over the last couple of decades, wage inflation has remained low, stagnant in some cases, precarious employment has increased, severally in some cases, and inequality has grown dramatically. Maybe there is something with all this collective bargaining after all!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It's not that they think it's going to be easier, they say that it IS easier. The one individual I mentioned sacrificed 10 years of progression in construction, where he commanded a wage in excess of €55k, to start again, at the bottom, as a teacher. He was under no illusion that he would have to go to the bottom of the ladder, but that lost earning opportunity vs his existing developed career was a price he was willing to pay for the easier life and the holidays - the perks of the job.

By the time it dawns on people just how handy teachers have it, it is simply not viable for them to essentially junk the career they have built to start teaching. So when people say "if you think teaching is so great, then why don't you do it", it's not an argument at all. If I could however swap my current job with teaching at point 12 on the permanent scale, then yeah, I,like most people in ordinary 9-5 jobs would jump at that.

If you had worked in construction, particularly through the recession, you would not even think of where you were on the wage scale before you decided to change career.

It wasn't just how great a job teaching was.It's because they take your whole life in construction, and you can't lose your job in teaching (unless you put serious effort into it), the way you can in an instant in construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭square ball

shesty wrote: »
    They no longer get holidays on top of mat leave.If mat leave runs during the holidays it is just mat leave now.
    My company paid my mat leave as do many others, private and public.I think you're barking up wrong tree there to be honest.
    I do think secondary schools could move to work through the month of June nowadays though.

But do you get a paid 3 month holiday if you returned from maternity leave a week or two before the end of the school year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

There's absolutely nothing wrong with taking maternity leave. It's paying her the full wage for the time off AND giving that level of holidays on top of it. And the wage itself. Teachers are way overpaid. Way, way overpaid. Something is seriously wrong if you can work no more than 5 months in 5 years and get paid a full wage plus pension when the country barely had a washer in it's arse pocket. And that wasn't even good enough for them, they went on to f"ck over their younger members to keep the gravy train going. It's insane and not something which is financially prudent. It's pure thuggery from the unions.

The three months off school was originally designed so kids could help on the farm. How outdated is that?
    Good Friday was a day off so country people could travel home as it took about 5 hours to get to Mayo from Dublin at one point. Again how dated is that? 30 grand straight out of college, or 50 grand on a FTE basis, plus pension. We don't teach finance in this country at an early age for a reason. But we do teach finance at some stage, and the game is up for these f*ckers in the next 10 years as the younger people they screwed over filter through.

If its so good why dont you become a teacher?

Advertisement