Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It's a travesty if Kleyn is skipped to the front of the queue despite only qualifying for Ireland a few days before his first cap.

I wonder will Kleyn stay around Ireland when he's retired?

What do you classify as skipped to front of queue?

Not sure what difference it makes if he stays in Ireland when he retires? Whats your opinion on ROG and the other explayers who have moved abroad for coaching jobs?

Pool Permutations:

Pool A
    Ireland win all pool games
    Japan to beat Scotland

Ireland, Japan qualify

Pool B
    New Zealand win all pool games
    South Africa to beat Italy

New Zealand, South Africa qualify

Pool C
    England win all pool games
    Argentina beat France

England, Argentina qualify

Pool D
    Australia win all games
    Wales beat Fiji

Australia, Wales qualify

Quarter 1
    England v Wales

Quarter 2
    New Zealand v Japan

Quarter 3
    Australia v Argentina

Quarter 4
    Ireland v South Africa

Semi 1
    England v New Zealand

Semi 2
    Australia v Ireland

Final
    New Zealand v Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

So we only have to beat South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, consecutively then...........

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Pool Permutations:

Pool A
    Ireland win all pool games
    Japan to beat Scotland

Ireland, Japan qualify

Pool B
    New Zealand win all pool games
    South Africa to beat Italy

New Zealand, South Africa qualify

Pool C
    England win all pool games
    Argentina beat France

England, Argentina qualify

Pool D
    Australia win all games
    Wales beat Fiji

Australia, Wales qualify

Quarter 1
    England v Wales

Quarter 2
    New Zealand v Japan

Quarter 3
    Australia v Argentina

Quarter 4
    Ireland v South Africa

Semi 1
    England v New Zealand

Semi 2
    Australia v Ireland

Final
    New Zealand v Ireland

...... suggest you head down to your local turf accountant and put some dough on that .........

Don't overdo it though!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    He was the best 10 in World till Christmas.....

Agreed, which is why I asked specifically about 2019.
    Hard to tell after as he was restricted with injury.....Also he played a lot of rugby prior to Christmas so it would suggest it was planned by IRFU.

He had a bad game against Wales which of course got the usual crowd going after him.

Not sure what you mean by this. Are you suggesting he should be immune from criticism when he plays poorly?
    Apart from that Toulouse, France, Scotland(before going off), Munster he was excellent

The Scotland game, he played 24 mins. The Munster game he played 25 mins, coming on when the score was 19-9. Toulouse and France, he did play well.
    In Pro14 final took bang early on but in second half ran the team very well before been taken off. Still a 7 out of 10 performance.

All in not too bad....

What do you think?

Personally think it's probably his poorest half season of rugby for 3-4 years, maybe going back to Matt O'Connor. We know his ceiling tho, so hopefully he can get back to that form for the RWC.

(But dismissing someone because they haven't seen one of his game seems silly to me).

• Advertisement

Stander was hugely effective at 6 and I did mention this for a while now.

You also laughed at the notion of Kleyn being selected and suggest Donnacha Ryan would be selected before that happened, but I don't see you bringing that up.

aloooof wrote: »
    Agreed, which is why I asked specifically about 2019.

Not sure what you mean by this. Are you suggesting he should be immune from criticism when he plays poorly?

The Scotland game, he played 24 mins. The Munster game he played 25 mins, coming on when the score was 19-9. Toulouse and France, he did play well.

Personally think it's probably his poorest half season of rugby for 3-4 years, maybe going back to Matt O'Connor. We know his ceiling tho, so hopefully he can get back to that form for the RWC.

(But dismissing someone because they haven't seen one of his game seems silly to me).

He didn't play for Leinster when MOC was coach...He was in Racing.....

I did ask the poster what they thought of his other performances? yet to get a reply......

Quick look at some player ratings in the final and I see 42 got average of 6.2 for Sexton, other websites gave an 8 out of 10. So I think my 7 out of 10 is about right.

You also laughed at the notion of Kleyn being selected and suggest Donnacha Ryan would be selected before that happened, but I don't see you bringing that up.

How long ago was that post? What exactly is the point of dragging up posts from months ago?

Check my posts from recently and I have mentioned numerous times I would like Stander at 6 and Conan at 8....

Kleyn is travelling now so best of luck to him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

PinaKolada wrote: »
    It's probably been done to death but I've been away and missed the selection and Wales games so haven't seen or heard much of the discussions around it.

But how in gods name is Kleyn in the squad? I'm watching the Wales game here and the only time he's visible is when he's giving away penalties. He offers nothing in the line-out. His work rate isnt anywhere close to the forwards around him. He's been nothing but average since he recently qualified to be capped.

I'm just baffled as to how he's managed to get into the squad ahead of players who've proven their worth in international games when he's like a poor man's Quinn Roux. Tough and does a job but without Rouxs work horse attitude.

Its the weirdest selection I've seen since Michael Bent.

Joe Schmidt selected him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

oh for christ sake - weve been hearing hes a big game player all season to camouflage how average he has been - he could be bloody Michael jordan in the lineouts and I still wouldnt pick him

You cannot pick a player who literally does nothing but take a couple lineouts per game he has one of the lowest tackle/carry numbers i've ever seen on an international backrow and other backrows also do lineouts, carry and tackle you gotta be able to do all three

hes been a passenger for most of the season, having one good game every hundred is not enough to guarantee you spot in the no.1 ranked international team in the world...

Name another country in the top 5 he would start for........none so he shouldnt start for us

Reward the players who got the result last week and lets give some time for Stander, Conan and VDJ to gel together and become a better unit

Is that you Rhys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

God Almighty Luke Fitzgerald is a drongo.

Has he named his bloodriders? How long is his hair?

Why? What’s he up to now

Has he named his bloodriders? How long is his hair?

By the drongo phrase I guess he is in summer bay annoying Alf Stewart

Just reading his stuff about the possibility of Ringrose benching. Worse than the decision to drop Toner. Ringrose came through the system. Not his fault he hasn't kicked on. Not his fault he misses tackles when it's someone other than Henshaw he's outside. Ad nauseam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Just reading his stuff about the possibility of Ringrose benching. Worse than the decision to drop Toner. Ringrose came through the system. Not his fault he hasn't kicked on. Not his fault he misses tackles when it's someone other than Henshaw he's outside. Ad nauseam.

Is this a joke? It’s nothing like the toner decision. You’ve three world class centers and two look to be in good form and one looks to be struggling a bit. Ringrose is probably the best of the three but if he’s 10% of he’s not starting, nothing to do with him coming through the system.

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Is this a joke? It’s nothing like the toner decision. You’ve three world class centers and two look to be in good form and one looks to be struggling a bit. Ringrose is probably the best of the three but if he’s 10% of he’s not starting, nothing to do with him coming through the system.

Sorry I was summarising Fitzgerald 's rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Luke Fitz isn't far off joining Gemma O'Doherty at this stage :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I've unfollowed him across all media after the Kleyn ****estorm. He has absolutely nothing of any use to say outside of a few interesting stories from back in the day, but those are becoming less and less relevant as the people he played with retire. Hot air.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Do people take Luke Fitz seriously? I just assumed they didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Do people take Luke Fitz seriously? I just assumed they didn't.
    I do like the interviews with current players, but he's just so fond of the sound of his own voice that I can't see past the crap anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,909 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I stopped listening to Fitz due to his incessant whining about Joe Tomane. Looking back now it's quite ridiculous how much he singled Tomane out for criticism, especially in the games where he actually played well.

Reminded me quite a bit of some posters on this forum actually.

He didn't play for Leinster when MOC was coach...He was in Racing.....

I did ask the poster what they thought of his other performances? yet to get a reply......

Quick look at some player ratings in the final and I see 42 got average of 6.2 for Sexton, other websites gave an 8 out of 10. So I think my 7 out of 10 is about right.

Got my timeline messed up, but still think it was his poorest half-season since his return to Leinster (particularly in an Ireland context). And you don't need to have seen every minute he's played to come to that conclusion, that was my only point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Got my timeline messed up, but still think it was his poorest half-season since his return to Leinster (particularly in an Ireland context). And you don't need to have seen every minute he's played to come to that conclusion, that was my only point.

I agree he’s been below par second half of 2019 but I don’t think anyone at Leinster or the IRFU will be surprised or concerned. He was playing for Leinster earlier than usual last season in order to peak for NZ. It’s not surprising he dipped after that. The knocks he was carrying wouldn’t have helped either.

He looked strong on his return last Saturday. One or two rusty moments but all being told, encouraging performance. He’ll be ready to go for Scotland barring no training ground mishaps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Sorry I was summarising Fitzgerald 's rant.

Makes so much more sense coming from him haha

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

What time the lads departing at today? Assume they will take a short flight to London then direct to Tokyo rather than the Dublin options of two medium length flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

andymx11 wrote: »
    What time the lads departing at today? Assume they will take a short flight to London then direct to Tokyo rather than the Dublin options of two medium length flights.

Someone in the Aviation Forum said that they’re flying on Japan Airlines flight JL44 which departs Heathrow for Tokyo at 19:15 this evening.

Based on that departure time I’d say they’ll leave Dublin around 15:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Flying Japan Airways direct. Not sure whether its the lunctime or late afternoon flight

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Kevski wrote: »
    Someone in the Aviation Forum said that they’re flying on Japan Airlines flight JL44 which departs Heathrow for Tokyo at 19:15 this evening.

Based on that departure time I’d say they’ll leave Dublin around 15:00.

49 business class seats and 8 first class - at least there will be no short straws for economy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

andymx11 wrote: »
    49 business class seats and 8 first class - at least there will be no short straws for economy :)

Wonder how big the traveling party is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement