Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replay: All Ireland SFC Final Dublin v Kerry Saturday 14/09/2019 @ 6pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Tomas o Se reckons Kerry for Sam..... while we do have grounds for optimism in Kerry i think we need to realise that we played against 14 for 40mins and didnt even have a shot on goal in last 12 mins when we should b dominant given that the Dubs had a player less and should have been out on there feet....

Yeah, it's funny how the build up to the replay differs from the drawn game.

The confidence amongst a lot of kerry fans and particularly kerry pundits seems bullish.

Personally I fear kerry are in for the mother of all backlashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,045 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

blinding wrote: »
    If the Dubs don’t get away with the persistent fouling then Kerry obviously have a chance . If the Dubs get away with their persistent fouling then Kerry have no chance . It takes a strong referee to stand up against the Dubs .

In fairness ye have that with Lane in charge.

Let's not pretend Kerry are all Saints either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Went through the Kerry V Dublin rivalry since Gavin took over
    Dublin of course have owned it but Kerry have been right on their heels.
    Bar a couple of lousy league games in CP where Dublin trounced Kerry, its always been close. Kerry have done quite well when they have been huge underdogs, 13, 16 & 19. On paper yes Dublin have a superior team but Kerry's natural ability and wide lenses of talent always make it close. They also took a league title in 2017 at Dublin expense. The only time Kerry didn't feature that well was the 15 final yet killian young could have a snatched a draw and the 16 league final where a red card gave Dublin the advantage late on.

The big worry for Kerry is Dublin always finish stronger
    13 semi final
    16 semi final
    17 league game
    17 league final
    19 league game
    19 final

Weather Kerry are mentally fragile or lacking fitness late on, it seems to be advantage Dublin here.

Back to Saturday, Dublin wont hammer Kerry, its never been like this. Kerry have the footballers to make a game of it, even at their low ebb with Fitzmaurice this was always the case. Look at clones last year & mayo v Kerry 2017.

It will go to wire Saturday but maybe Dublin experience and ability to finish stronger will see them home

Don't be surprised though if Kerry pip Dublin, Dublin never hammer Kerry!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was worried before the first game
    But I can't see Dublin losing this after the last day.
    It was a nice kick in arse for Dublin to cop themselves on.

What new tricks have Kerry to offer?
    Dublin have plenty of options to shake things up - Murchan, McMahon, Brogan, Connolly.
    Kerry's only real alternative option is to start Walsh or take him on and put him back on again..

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭davegilly

Dublin have plenty of options to shake things up - Murchan, McMahon, Brogan, Connolly.
    Kerry's only real alternative option is to start Walsh or take him on and put him back on again..
    Are you serious? If Dublin had plenty of options then why didn't they use them the last day? They waited until the 67th minute to introduce subs, after leaving Connolly warming up for 5 or 6 minutes on the sideline. Brogan isn't even on the matchday panel for Christ sake?

Kerry's only alternative is to put on and take off Walsh? Mother of God man, what have you been drinking? You do realise Killian Spillane scored 1-1 when he came on?

Kerry have scope for massive improvement, absolutely massive. Dublin haven't. Their experience brought them through the last day - and it very well might again but I'm not so sure it will be enough this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

davegilly wrote: »
    Are you serious? If Dublin had plenty of options then why didn't they use them the last day? They waited until the 67th minute to introduce subs, after leaving Connolly warming up for 5 or 6 minutes on the sideline. Brogan isn't even on the matchday panel for Christ sake?

Kerry's only alternative is to put on and take off Walsh? Mother of God man, what have you been drinking? You do realise Killian Spillane scored 1-1 when he came on?

Kerry have scope for massive improvement, absolutely massive. Dublin haven't. Their experience brought them through the last day - and it very well might again but I'm not so sure it will be enough this time.

I said 'real' alternative. Killian Spillane will be well planned for the next day.

Why did Dublin not use the subs?

1) They were down to 14 men for half of the game and did not want to go using subs left right and centre - in fact Dublin only used four subs

2) Jim Gavin had a bit of nightmare on the line line, and got his match ups wrong as well - before the game and during it

I just feel that Kerry have played thier hand and have nothing new to offer for the next day
    They blew thier chance and should of had 2/3 more goals

I don't think Dublin will be as bad again overall the mistakes will be analysed and ironed out
    And I think Dublin will be fully prepared this time. It could be more cagey affair.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I know he isn't the same player he once was, and injuries are a recurring theme with him, but does anyone else not think that a fit James O'Donoghue could be a big impact sub to bring in? Spillane mightn't be as effective off the bench or from the start again, but O'Donoghue potentially could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I think holding off on the subs was a shrewd move. Takes players a while to get to the pace of a game like that, and you can't afford lapses with 14.

The lads on the filed were doing well, apart from the goal blip and really the more you think of that you have to think that had Byrne retained the ball rather than losing his feet, that Kerry would have been in panic stations very quickly.

That would have been the time to throw in fresh minds and legs, and as it was it almost worked as Murch, Costello and Connolly were brilliant when they came on and the missed shots were ones that on other days (or in pre Hawkeye days) would have won the day.

the idea of Gavin making several bad calls doesn't add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

A fully fit Fenton, Con and Mannion have room for massive improvement. A long with a few others their performance wasnt what it has been for the last few years, so to say Dublin havent room for improvement is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

eigrod wrote:
    Brolly’s got the chop for Saturday

Replaced by Rochford.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Will Kerry continue the press off the kickout or will they be spooked by the scores they conceded on the break?

I always like the aggressive option but you can't argue that it doesn't leave you vulnerable or that it doesn't exact a physical toll. Friend of mine reckons Kerry will go 180 and concede the kickout to the corner back.

Can't see Dublin changing their approach much.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

corny wrote: »
    Will Kerry continue the press off the kickout or will they be spooked by the scores they conceded on the break?

I always like the aggressive option but you can't argue that it doesn't leave you vulnerable or that it doesn't exact a physical toll. Friend of mine reckons Kerry will go 180 and concede the kickout to the corner back.

Can't see Dublin changing their approach much.

The only way to beat Dublin is to press the kickout. Giving the ball to the corner-back ends up with death by a thousand Ciaran Kilkenny passes. If you concede the kick-out to the corner back, Dublin will work the ball until they have an opening, and they will score.

Press the kickout, and some day Dublin won't score on the break. That day, they will lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

eigrod wrote: »

Proper order. He was an embarrassment at ht of the drawn game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

blanch152 wrote: »
    The only way to beat Dublin is to press the kickout. Giving the ball to the corner-back ends up with death by a thousand Ciaran Kilkenny passes. If you concede the kick-out to the corner back, Dublin will work the ball until they have an opening, and they will score.

Press the kickout, and some day Dublin won't score on the break. That day, they will lose.

Funny enough - balls.ie ran a great article showing how Kerry set their press up to make the 'weakest link' the easiest option for Kick Outs and then pressing hard for a turn over once that link was hit, citing consecutive turnovers on Cooper and Fitzsimons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

eigrod wrote: »

I really hope that this is the beginning of the end for all the oul whinge bags on the Sunday Game.

Guys like Brolly & Spillane are not analysts - the former just makes pointless attention seeking statements in a shock jock approach while the latter offers practically nothing these days.

I'd add Whelan to that aswell - a terrible addition while Sean Cavanagh is muck too.

They really need to get guys on who can analyse a game and not just make statements of fact.

The Sunday Game analysis consists of Player A scored 4 points in the first half so he's playing great while his fellow forward Player B hasnt scored yet so he should be taken off.
    They completely neglect to analyse why is Player A getting the ball in certain positions, are they isolating him , what runs is he making, what runs are other making - essentially they dont/cant analyse what is going on in a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Funny how some elements of the media are claiming this is the first time this Gavin-era Dublin have questions and cracks about time and are there for the taking. Simply not true, the 2015 semi-final replay, Mayo go 4 points up in the 2nd half Keegan’s effort to go 5 up drops short, at a time when momentum was swinging in their favour after Cillian O’Connors goal was on the ropes type stuff, this followed a nervy finish to the drawn game where a vital late McCaffrey block prevented a Mayo winner.

The 2016 semi final Dublin have a pre-half time meltdown with kick outs/defense and concede 2 goals going in at the break 5 points down with the game level on 70 minutes, drawn final was and still is IMO Dublin’s worst performance in the championship during Gavin’s reign. 2 freak own goals getting us out of trouble that day (30 mins before we put our first score on the board og’s excluded)

2017 final 2 points down with 7 minutes left and certainly there for the taking until Connolly comes on to settle and take control of matters.

So this narrative is incorrect, there have been numerous times previous where we’ve appeared vulnerable and disjointed. Another set of questions to be answered from 6pm Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 chief orman

I really hope that this is the beginning of the end for all the oul whinge bags on the Sunday Game.

Guys like Brolly & Spillane are not analysts - the former just makes pointless attention seeking statements in a shock jock approach while the latter offers practically nothing these days.

I'd add Whelan to that aswell - a terrible addition while Sean Cavanagh is muck too.

They really need to get guys on who can analyse a game and not just make statements of fact.

The Sunday Game analysis consists of Player A scored 4 points in the first half so he's playing great while his fellow forward Player B hasnt scored yet so he should be taken off.
    They completely neglect to analyse why is Player A getting the ball in certain positions, are they isolating him , what runs is he making, what runs are other making - essentially they dont/cant analyse what is going on in a game.

I agree that the analysis is diabolical. I would'nt put Brolly & Spillane in the same bracket though. Brolly is constantly biased. He has an agenda and fits his analysis around the bias. Spillane is rough around the edges but is honest enough in his analysis though his years are probably numbered alright. Whelan is a total waste of space and should get the chop immediately. It is probably about time to get recently retired players in there as the game has changed totally over the past 20 years. And even better again get a former manager who has been there and done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Gael85

Whelan is usually decent on the analysis and good knowledge of modern game. Haven't seen his take on cooper red cars as was at game. Malachy O'Rourke was very good when on TSG a couple weeks ago. Impressed with Rochford too.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭conor05

As a Kerry fan, I would be absolutely delighted to see Philly McMahon, Brogan and Connolly start.

• Advertisement

Gael85 wrote: »
    Whelan is usually decent on the analysis and good knowledge of modern game. Haven't seen his take on cooper red cars as was at game. Malachy O'Rourke was very good when on TSG a couple weeks ago. Impressed with Rochford too.

I think Whelan offers nothing at all to be honest - would put him behind the other 2 in terms of ability to analyse a game.

conor05 wrote: »
    As a Kerry fan, I would be absolutely delighted to see Philly McMahon, Brogan and Connolly start.

Start Paddy Small aswell tf.

I'll be shocked if Brogan starts - absolutely astounded

Whelan is a good pundit imo. Apart from agreeing with Brolly at ht last week and saying Cooper should not have been sent off i like him. Spillane is useless. Brolly has no manners and the rudest pundit i've ever seen.

Start Paddy Small aswell tf.

I'll be shocked if Brogan starts - absolutely astounded

Brogan start? Be doing well to make the 26.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Gael85

I think Whelan offers nothing at all to be honest - would put him behind the other 2 in terms of ability to analyse a game.

Have to disagree on Whelan. Is well clued into modern systems/tactics, does homework on teams. I heard he didn't cover himself in glory over the last game but he usually on the ball. Spillane offers nothing on analysis, throws a couple scoring averages and pushes his own agenda every week about defensive systems. Completely out of touch with modern game. Brolly knows his stuff but just winds up other pundits and should be given the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭davegilly

conor05 wrote: »

There isn't a hope of any of them starting. Philly is not good enough anymore, Brogan is too old plus he wont even be on the panel and Connolly was heading off on his hols to the states a few weeks back so can't be anywhere near fit enough to start.

Dublin have little to offer from the bench anymore. They are Kerry in 1986 - Starting to weaken a bit but probably still enough in the tank to get them over the line. Kerry have every chance against them on Saturday. They are a much younger, hungrier team with talent all over the pitch.

They are improving at a rate of knots and have done so exponentially from every game this year. The lowest score Kerry achieved this year was in the first round game v Clare, as the teams got harder the scores got higher. The lowest score Dublin achieved was in their last game v Kerry.

If Kerry continue their level of improvement game on game this year into this weekend then they will beat Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭The Rooster

...and Connolly was heading off on his hols to the states a few weeks back so can't be anywhere near fit enough to start.

So Connolly played no football when he was not on the Dublin panel??

Nope, he'd been training 3/4 times a week with Vincents. The standard of fitness is unreal at Division 1 and 2 level in Dublin and the overall standards are way in excess of what is around the country. Of course, there are certain clubs around the country who are just as good, but the strength in depth is much better.

The leagues play away without the Dublin squad and that tends to even the teams up. There's usually only a few points between getting into the league playoff and going into the relegation playoff.

It's a huge reason why Dublin players improve so much from minor to U20/U21 level as they get exposed to this high level of competition with regular matches.

So, don't worry about Connolly. He's back with the inter-county squad long enough with a strong enough base to have caught up with everyone at this stage, in fitness terms.

As for the ref, all I ask is that he gives the same protection to Con and Mannion as he does to Clifford and the other Kerry forwards. A level playing field and I'm sure Lane will oblige.

Dublin have started poorly in so many games now that it's hard to fathom. Keep getting away with it:
    - Meath hit about a dozen first half wides
    - Cork took their scores but refused to challenge on our kickouts so let us play us our way back into the game at our leisure
    - Mayo took some advantage, but still should have been more ahead at the break
    - Kerry missed a sea of chances, not an over-exaggeration to say they left behind a reasonably handy 2-4.

Dubs need to get down to business from the off as I doubt very much Kerry will be as profligate the next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Gael85 wrote:

Thought Michael Murphy was good a couple weeks ago...and also Andy Moran could be good in that type role.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Gael85 wrote: »
    Brolly knows his stuff but just winds up other pundits and should be given the door.

I honestly don't even think Brolly knows his stuff.

I can't think of anything he's come out with, certainly not recently, that would suggest he offers any useful insight on the modern game. Certainly no more than the average spectator in the stands.

• Advertisement

As for the ref, all I ask is that he gives the same protection to Con and Mannion as he does to Clifford and the other Kerry forwards. A level playing field and I'm sure Lane will oblige.

Be careful what you wish for son.

Correct application of the rules would have seen Kerry get a penalty after 4 mins (Geaneys shot cleared off the line) as Cooper clearly pulled Sean O Shea to the ground - this would also have brought forward Cooper's red card by about 20 mins.

Geaney's missed penalty would have been retaken
    John Small would have received a black card to go with his yellow for constantly pulling Stephen O Brien to ground off the ball and thus would have been sent off too.

Jack Mc would have given away a 14 yard free for a foul on Stephen O Brien in the second half and Lyne would have won a free off Connolly at the very end to give Kerry an attacking platform.

Add to that about 10-15 pointless off the ball digs thrown by Michael Darragh and I think the 2/3 questionable frees that you are calling for Dublin to get will be negated.

Refs make mistakes - both teams usually benefit and suffer for them in the same match

Advertisement