Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Yeah but encroaching at a lineout isn't a valid reason to disallow a try under the current rules.

Pretty sure you can disallow a try for offside.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I guess Toner is less likely to do such a thing

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1064106741565145088?s=20

In this clip it looks like Toner makes the stop alone, behind the gainline, on Brodie Retallick. And even shapes him so Ryan can send him back to the netherworld!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

AdamD wrote: »
    Pretty sure you can disallow a try for offside.

If the referee agrees to refer the matter to the TMO he will indicate what the potential offence was and where it took place. Potential infringements which must be CLEAR and OBVIOUS are as follows:

• Law 9.A. Scoring points
    • Law 10.1, 10.4. Foul play: obstruction, dangerous play, tackling a player without the ball
    • Law 11.1 (b, c). Offside: player in front of the kicker
    • Law 12, 12.1. Knock-on or forward pass
    • Law 16.5 (d). Ruck: offside at the ruck – players not joining the ruck
    • Law 17.4 (d). Maul: offside at the maul – players not joining the maul
    • Law 19.5 (a, b). Player in touch
    • Law 19.2 (d). Lineout: quick throw
    • Law 22. In goal (including ball grounded by a defending player)
    • Law 15.5 (f, g). Double movement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

D14Rugby wrote: »
    We don't kick off until a few days after most of them. Makes more sense to give the players some family time

And the Scotland game is really just another warm up game for us. Our WC doesn't really start until the quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Jesus lads it's really not that important

• Advertisement

If that comes to pass the media here will be in orgasmic heaven given what would have preceded it.

2011 on steroids .... same result too I imagine.

I'd say the Irish media would be pretty cautious to be honest, not like that bastion of journalistic integrity that is Wales online ;)

Eitherway, Wales shot their bolt getting hyped up for the six nations and are looking a bit ordinary and tired. Kearney proving himself faster than North is like a microcosm of where both teams are at. Ireland are in better shape - and generally more dashing.

Both teams are contenders, I think Wales lack the depth to go the whole way and just don't have the track record against Southern Hemisphere teams that the squad can rest their hats on.

Alun Wyn Jones being spotted in James Ryan pyjamas really is the final nail in the coffin of Wales 2019 RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

I'd say the Irish media would be pretty cautious to be honest, not like that bastion of journalistic integrity that is Wales online ;)

Eitherway, Wales shot their bolt getting hyped up for the six nations and are looking a bit ordinary and tired. Kearney proving himself faster than North is like a microcosm of where both teams are at. Ireland are in better shape - and generally more dashing.

Both teams are contenders, I think Wales lack the depth to go the whole way and just don't have the track record against Southern Hemisphere teams that the squad can rest their hats on.

Alun Wyn Jones being spotted in James Ryan pyjamas really is the final nail in the coffin of Wales 2019 RWC.

Love your optimism ....enjoy it while it lasts ....

The carrot for us is the opportunity to avoid NZ/SA by topping our group ..... as much as I'd like to see it I can't see Ireland getting past the QF ......I stand to be proved wrong though ....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

One of Japan's wingers ruled out for Ireland , Russia and Samoa games. https://mobile.twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1171384754270326785

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 PinaKolada

It's probably been done to death but I've been away and missed the selection and Wales games so haven't seen or heard much of the discussions around it.

But how in gods name is Kleyn in the squad? I'm watching the Wales game here and the only time he's visible is when he's giving away penalties. He offers nothing in the line-out. His work rate isnt anywhere close to the forwards around him. He's been nothing but average since he recently qualified to be capped.

I'm just baffled as to how he's managed to get into the squad ahead of players who've proven their worth in international games when he's like a poor man's Quinn Roux. Tough and does a job but without Rouxs work horse attitude.

Its the weirdest selection I've seen since Michael Bent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭irelandrover

PinaKolada wrote: »
    It's probably been done to death but I've been away and missed the selection and Wales games so haven't seen or heard much of the discussions around it.

But how in gods name is Kleyn in the squad? I'm watching the Wales game here and the only time he's visible is when he's giving away penalties. He offers nothing in the line-out. His work rate isnt anywhere close to the forwards around him. He's been nothing but average since he recently qualified to be capped.

I'm just baffled as to how he's managed to get into the squad ahead of players who've proven their worth in international games when he's like a poor man's Quinn Roux. Tough and does a job but without Rouxs work horse attitude.

It hasn't been discussed at all yet so fair play to you for raising the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The last 4 / 5 pages about the Biggar telling the ref he didn’t ground it. How he might have been offside or not.

And not one mention of the howler from Sexton to pass him the ball... are people unable to see the mistakes he made in that game and how rusty he looked???

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The last 4 / 5 pages about the Biggar telling the ref he didn’t ground it. How he might have been offside or not.

And not one mention of the howler from Sexton to pass him the ball... are people unable to see the mistakes he made in that game and how rusty he looked???

Well yeah.

This was his first game in 4 months. One which he grew into as it progressed. Sexton was fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

Mightn't have made much of a difference but take a look at Keith Earls ankle tap on Biggar just before the line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIBp6ikKdys

Can't really call it a howler when a guy is well offside to get the intercept on pass in a set piece move though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

If he didnt look rusty then something would be wrong

He last played in the Pro14 final in May

IN the second half he looked to be up to speed and played well.....he was replaced then as everyone had seen enough

People complaining about Sexton at any chance is a small bit boring. He is current player of the year.....one of the best Irish players to ever wear the jersey. Instead of having a pop at him for no reason maybe try to appreciate him while he is still around

It's a complicated one but in a nutshell - Rassie has some compromising images of Joe, Peter Stringer and Tiernan O'Halloran at a petting zoo and has insisted that Kleyn is put into the team with the intention of him injuring some of our key lads in training and then throwing the quarter final against South Africa.

Rassie has had this in the works since before he came to Munster with VanGraan already lined up as his Manchurian. I know the doubters will be along shortly to point out that the pools hadn't been picked when Rassie arrived north but South Africa have been intentionally manipulating their world ranking for years so as to put themselves in with a high percentage chance of facing us in a quarter final.

Their loss to Japan, other notable defeats such as Italy were all intentional manoeuvrings by South Africa towards an inevitable quarter final shoot out with us.

Of course to us plebs it seems that Kleyn is there for his power in the set piece and contact zone. Ireland haven't shown our hand off fast set piece ball and I expect this is where we'll be delivering the fire works. Joe is a bit of a min maxer in terms of some of the traits he wants from players and Kleyn's selection might be evident of that.

Personally however I suspect it's the Rassie conspiracy. I'm not sure how but I'm pretty certain ROG is the one who sold us out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I listen to rog earlier, he was trying to sign Pom praises but it didn’t come across great

Especially the bit when he said to not expect a huge work rate from POM

Interested to know where you heard this and what exactly was said? He was on Off the Ball on Sunday and the only mention of POM was this:
    Peter O'Mahony obviously, I think, would be a definite starter in Ireland's strongest 15.

Try hard comedy responses and posters just being dicks and talking nonsense.

The usual boards.ie low quality trash discussion then. I'll leave you morons to it. Enjoy the world cup.

The usual boards.ie low quality trash discussion then. I'll leave you morons to it. Enjoy the world cup.

tumblr_me1pha0Pcu1rnr47go2_250.gif

Aw you don't want to play and are taking your toys with you?

I'd love to hear some of your searing analysis, it would be a refreshing change from the low quality trash of us mere mortals - enlighten us, please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

aloooof wrote: »
      Interested to know where you heard this and what exactly was said? He was on Off the Ball on Sunday and the only mention of POM was this:

Actually think it was Jerry Flannery that mentioned it about POM on House of Rugby. "He's not going to post huge numbers work-rate wise but he can have big big moments" was the quote.

They were discussing the makeup of the backrow and the importance of POM to the lineout.

Can't really call it a howler when a guy is well offside to get the intercept on pass in a set piece move though.

An intercept isn’t a howler now. Fair play. Good to know.

Clegg wrote: »
      Well yeah.

This was his first game in 4 months. One which he grew into as it progressed. Sexton was fine.

He was far from fine, he was below par, lacked game time and made a number of mistakes, kicked a 22 out on the full, threw an intercept, gave away a kick able penalty.

His preparations have been interrupted but he could do with another game before the Scotland match, which he’s not going to get.

Aw you don't want to play and are taking your toys with you?

I'd love to hear some of your searing analysis, it would be a refreshing change from the low quality trash of us mere mortals - enlighten us, please

I've better things to do than exchange overdone Father Ted jokes and invent wacky conspiracy theories to show how hilarious I am.

Like I said enjoy the world cup. Just remember you don't always have to be a dick despite the boards ethos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

aloooof wrote: »

Your right, it was Fla on Baz and Andrew....too many podcast

oLPHNSPaooOQ.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I've better things to do than exchange overdone Father Ted jokes and invent wacky conspiracy theories to show how hilarious I am.

Like I said enjoy the world cup. Just remember you don't always have to be a dick despite the boards ethos.
      Bye bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Feed me more Father Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I wouldnt have put it so 'eloquently' but I'm in agreement.

I'm buzzing at the thought of the world cup and dropped in here to get the vibe but the level of discussion is woefully poor.

In the last few days I've seen Johnny Sexton, Conor Murray, Keith Earls and Peter O Mahoney questioned. Add James Ryan to these and you have probably the only 5 guys on the team who are nailed on starters if fit.

The inter provincial snipping is worthy of 5 year olds and the mood swings between England and Wales matches is worthy of a misfortune in the darkest throws of menopause

Try and enjoy it peeps, over and out

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

To be fair, the level of discussion here over the last few weeks is a fair bit below where its normally at. I'm probably going to give the place a miss over the course of the RWC and I know a lot of other regulars have already stepped away from the place. That said there is room for having a but of a laugh too. The Venjur thing is just an ongoing gag, so probably a bit "in jokey". No harm in it at all.

Yep, I said it. You're only harmless Venjur...

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement