Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Lol hope thats sarcasm

It was a question, I don’t trust my memory

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

It’s seems most top tier teams have arrived in Japan and we aren’t leaving until tomorrow. Surely an extra few days in Japan would be more Beneficial than a few days here?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Genuinely feels like sections of the media have been given the nod to big up Kleyn since the weekend. He was crap against Wales, I really don't think its up for debate either. Gave away 2 silly penalties, got stripped of the ball too. He didn't take a single line out and it noticeably improved when he left the pitch. You'd need a gargantuan performance for the rest of the game to make up for those mistakes, he didn't.

And this is nothing to do with his selection, just find it irritating that the media want to big up his performance now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

AdamD wrote: »
    Genuinely feels like sections of the media have been given the nod to big up Kleyn since the weekend. He was crap against Wales, I really don't think its up for debate either. Gave away 2 silly penalties, got stripped of the ball too. He didn't take a single line out and it noticeably improved when he left the pitch. You'd need a gargantuan performance for the rest of the game to make up for those mistakes, he didn't.

And this is nothing to do with his selection, just find it irritating that the media want to big up his performance now.

Murray Kinsella posted a gif of Kleyn and Stander Making a tackle and making out Kleyn did something wonderous. It is bog standard basic stuff.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1171029231993683968?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Lol hope thats sarcasm

Peter ó Mahony was man of the match. Put that in your pipe and smoke it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

Read an interesting bit yesterday about Dan Biggar's applauded honesty in stating that he didn't score the try and was held up.

It was a very smart move on his part, rather than being incredibly honest. If it had gone to the TMO, they would have looked at the try and possibly shown Biggar to be offside (looks like he was) for the intercept.

That would have resulted in a kick in front of the posts for Ireland, but instead Wales were given a 5 meter scrum, and scored a try not long after.

The only one that copped it on the pitch was Sexton who immediately asked the ref to check the offside for the intercept, but before he could, Biggar admitted the ball was held up so the whole sequence of events leading up to the try was never looked at.

I'm sort of impressed with his quick thinking to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Peter ó Mahony was man of the match. Put that in your pipe and smoke it

He's also the most Irish man thats ever existed in the history of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Ò' Mahuin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I dunno, seems he’s completely capable of making an impact to me

If you’re the type of coach who isn’t completely opposed to using a reserve scrum half, he’d surely be an ideal guy to bring on at the same time that you make that change.

I meant in terms of stereotype of the impact sub who's going to run at tired defences. Kleyn might knock them over from five yards out which is just as useful I suppose.

My point is that what I've seen of Kleyn (going back three years) doesn't tally with his apparent elevation to possible starter ahead of Henderson and Toner, so there must be something that the coaches are seeing that I'm not (which is of course their job). And if that's the case, then maybe it's not so crazy that he would actually start ahead of Henderson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Mini850 wrote: »
    Read an interesting bit yesterday about Dan Biggar's applauded honesty in stating that he didn't score the try and was held up.

It was a very smart move on his part, rather than being incredibly honest. If it had gone to the TMO, they would have looked at the try and possibly shown Biggar to be offside (looks like he was) for the intercept.

That would have resulted in a kick in front of the posts for Ireland, but instead Wales were given a 5 meter scrum, and scored a try not long after.

The only one that copped it on the pitch was Sexton who immediately asked the ref to check the offside for the intercept, but before he could, Biggar admitted the ball was held up so the whole sequence of events leading up to the try was never looked at.

Someone else mentioned this above. To be honest I didn't think he looked offside at the time. The pass was fairly slow so he could have been a yard onside and still made it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    Someone else mentioned this above. To be honest I didn't think he looked offside at the time. The pass was fairly slow so he could have been a yard onside and still made it.

Apparently, Sexton had a chat with Dan after the game about it, and Dan felt he was offside.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

At the time I thought he was saying it because he'd lost the ball to Kearney who had grounded it, which would have resulted in a 22 drop out rather than a 5m scrum.

There's no way Biggar was offside.

Once the ball leaves the lineout, it's open play and no offside line exists.

Sexton is trying to deflect from his own error, or he doesn't know the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Was it not the last time we beat New Zealand that POM was MOTM?

Should we just base the team going forward on who has won a MOM award over the last 4 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Genuine question, isn't possible that Biggar was offside before the the ball left the lineout and that's what Sexton was referring to?

I don't really care if he was offside or not to be honest, it's all a bit of a storm in a teacup but I'm just more curious from a laws POV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Apparently, Sexton had a chat with Dan after the game about it, and Dan felt he was offside.

He only said that so that to make Sexton feel better.
    One of them had to be the Biggar man.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

349imXE.png

I don't know would he have been 10m back at the lineout judging by this pic? Would have been close had they gone back and looked at it.
    Either way, smart stuff from Biggar. I'm assuming he felt he was offside too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Beggar’s belief that Biggar was not up to something !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Should we just base the team going forward on who has won a MOM award over the last 4 years?

Nobody's suggesting that should be the sole factor. But a MOTM award in probably our best performance of the last 12 months, against the then #1 side in the world does tell us something.

(And you're well able to quote MOM awards yourself when it suits your argument).

I don't know would he have been 10m back at the lineout judging by this pic? Would have been close had they gone back and looked at it.
    Either way, smart stuff from Biggar. I'm assuming he felt he was offside too?

Maybe, but it was very close. He's running forward at the time that picture was taken so run it back a second or two and he'd be three or four metres further back.

In any event, it's not an offence that can be referred to the TMO.

• Advertisement

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Murray Kinsella posted a gif of Kleyn and Stander Making a tackle and making out Kleyn did something wonderous. It is bog standard basic stuff.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1171029231993683968?s=19

I guess Toner is less likely to do such a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

I don't disagree but they were very much on the back foot and somewhat threw the towel in. I'm not sure it would have made a difference yesterday, they couldn't live with us having tried for most of the first half.

They lost ground several times in possession during the second half. There isn't always a way back from that.

You're right ...we're shafted ..... ah well there's always 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

andymx11 wrote: »
    It’s seems most top tier teams have arrived in Japan and we aren’t leaving until tomorrow. Surely an extra few days in Japan would be more Beneficial than a few days here?

We don't kick off until a few days after most of them. Makes more sense to give the players some family time

Maybe, but it was very close. He's running forward at the time that picture was taken so run it back a second or two and he'd be three or four metres further back.

Unless the TMO is asked 'is there any reason' at which point he or she may spot the potential offside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I guess Toner is less likely to do such a thing

A few years back, a good few I was in RDS for Leinster v Racing. Toner was playing for Leinster and people said he was light. Chabal was playing for Racing

I can't find a video but Toner absolutely nailed Chabal in that game.....Chabal had the ball coming from a ruck and he ran straight at Toner, Toner jsut nailed him

Found an article on it.....

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/toner-hails-nacewa-courage-133300.html

You're right ...we're shafted ..... ah well there's always 2023.

Nah you will be grand so long as you avoid Ireland in the knock outs...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

If the ball was not held up and Biggar had grounded it could the TMO not then go back and check it? I thought they could check the last 2 phases before a try for an infringement?

Unless the TMO is asked 'is there any reason' at which point he or she may spot the potential offside.

They can no longer say "is there any reason", they have to say "please check for forward pass/foot in touch/whatever" and the specified infringement has to be clear and obvious.

If the ball was not held up and Biggar had grounded it could the TMO not then go back and check it? I thought they could check the last 2 phases before a try for an infringement?

Yeah but encroaching at a lineout isn't a valid reason to disallow a try under the current rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Nah you will be grand so long as you avoid Ireland in the knock outs...

If that comes to pass the media here will be in orgasmic heaven given what would have preceded it.

2011 on steroids .... same result too I imagine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement