Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I was referring to the idea of picking POM at 7 which you suggested.

So I was wrong, and you actually think the answer here to us "getting killed" because we're too small is to pick a back row that is almost identical in size?

I could see that back row starting but POM is a considerably better player than Stander for me. It's much more likely to me that they'll pick VDF and POM if they're fit and then they'll choose between Conan and Stander based on the opposition.

I also suggested that POM plays against Japan and the back row that started yesterday would start v Scotland

Maybe you missed that part? I doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    That’s your opinion

Maybe don’t try to belittle everyone else’s....or maybe you are party of the ireland management team?

Or like me you are just giving a point of view?

Well look, maybe you want to cry about it now but you're the one who claimed the back row I suggested would "get murdered" and then completely failed to back up that point. That deserves at least a little belittling.

In reality there's very little variance in the back row we can pick due to the squad size limits and the injury to Leavy. Given there's still a huge amount of ramping up against minnows to do before we hit a big game I'd say we could definitely see the likes of POM or Ruddock playing 7 in group games, especially with Beirne in the squad. If something happens to VDF (and something will almost certainly happen to someone) then I could see Ruddock or POM starting at 7 in a knock-out game.

Well look, maybe you want to cry about it now but you're the one who claimed the back row I suggested would "get murdered" and then completely failed to back up that point. That deserves at least a little belittling.

In reality there's very little variance in the back row we can pick due to the squad size limits and the injury to Leavy. Given there's still a huge amount of ramping up against minnows to do before we hit a big game I'd say we could definitely see the likes of POM or Ruddock playing 7 in group games, especially with Beirne in the squad. If something happens to VDF (and something will almost certainly happen to someone) then I could see Ruddock or POM starting at 7 in a knock-out game.

So exactly what I posted?

SA took a pic and showed themselves standing in dressing room with shirts off....

No matter who your favorites are, a back row including POM, stander and VDF just won’t be able to handle it

Conan adds that ballast and Joe isn’t bringing Kleyn just for giggles

I didn't see and won't see what you posted, I posted my own back row and you disagreed with it.
    SA took a pic and showed themselves standing in dressing room with shirts off....

No matter who your favorites are, a back row including POM, stander and VDF just won’t be able to handle it

:pac:

Gas. We should change our team and philosophy because the opposition posted a scary picture!

Lets just bring along an intern whose handy with photoshop and stick a 3rd nipple on Tadhg Furlong and we'll have the world cup in the bag.

Jaysus that's some cowardly nonsense.

I didn't see and won't see what you posted, I posted my own back row and you disagreed with it.

:pac:

Gas. We should change our team and philosophy because the opposition posted a scary picture!

Lets just bring along an intern whose handy with photoshop and stick a 3rd nipple on Tadhg Furlong and we'll have the world cup in the bag.

Jaysus that's some cowardly nonsense.

Back to your childish little posts....grow up

If you can’t discuss a topic without some sort of superiority complex then why bother?

The point of boards is to discuss a topic, you seem to think it’s for you to tell everyone what they should think.....

Maybe listen to Eddie Jones interview after the ireland game for some reference to someone who actually knows about rugby

Oh yeah, what is the ireland team philosophy by the way?

• Advertisement

Back to your childish little posts....grow up

If you can’t discuss a topic without some sort of superiority complex then why bother?

The point of boards is to discuss a topic, you seem to think it’s for you to tell everyone what they should think.....

Maybe listen to Eddie Jones interview after the ireland game for some reference to someone who actually knows about rugby

Oh yeah, what is the ireland team philosophy by the way?

I never told you what to think. To be clear. Absolutely fire away with it!

I just think what you think is hilarious

I never told you what to think. To be clear. Absolutely fire away with it!

I just think what you think is hilarious

Based on your opinion....why is your opinion better than mine?

So what’s the Irish team philosophy?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

So we get killed if we pick Stander, POM and VDF but we're grand with Stander, VDF and Conan?

Based on your opinion....why is your opinion better than mine?

So what’s the Irish team philosophy?

I never said mine is better.

I have no idea what the Irish team philosophy is going into this competition. I was taking the piss out of the idea of changing it based on a photo of some big men's chests.

What's the next step for Ireland. Should we call up a few of the lads off Love Island and stick their photos up on social media and give the Scots a bit of a fright?

I never said mine is better.

I have no idea what the Irish team philosophy is going into this competition. I was taking the piss out of the idea of changing it based on a photo of some big men's chests.

What's the next step for Ireland. Should we call up a few of the lads off Love Island and stick their photos up on social media and give the Scots a bit of a fright?

So why are you posting about the philosophy of the team if you have no idea what it is?

You tried to take "the piss out" but at the end of the day you haven't a clue what you are talking about and just giving an opinion.

Trying to demean people to make your point says more about you than me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Jesus lads get a room.

Jesus lads get a room.

Back to rugby

Any word on Earls? b

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Back to rugby

Any word on Earls? b

Real
    Sale
    Seal
    Laser
    Lear

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

A few people getting carried away with themselves.

We beat Wales and went 1st in the world. Great result.

Some serious competition in a few places,

BUT, Wales are a lot better than that performance and it’s obvious a lot of them were holding back for Japan, their intensity levels were not what they can be.

I saw that pic out of context on twitter and thought it was a roids convention.

They are massive but weve boxed smart against them before. England was good prep.

Could well be the All Blacks we face.

Hobosan wrote: »
    Real
    Sale
    Seal
    Laser
    Lear

Laser was a good one, wouldn't have gotten that.

BUT, Wales are a lot better than that performance and it’s obvious a lot of them were holding back for Japan, their intensity levels were not what they can be.

That was Wales at close to full tilt. Full test intensity for 50 minutes from both teams but Ireland able to keep going.

Neither team relied much on set plays but otherwise it looked like a 6N match to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I saw that pic out of context on twitter and thought it was a roids convention.

They are massive but weve boxed smart against them before. England was good prep.

Could well be the All Blacks we face.

The shot Jesse Kriel is incredible. I'm very dubious about that sort of physique.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Given nearly all the cases of PEDs in rugby come from South Africa I’ll always be skeptical. It’s well known many take them through school before reaching the pro ranks and testing. I’d be shocked if it didn’t happen here to a certain extent too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Back to rugby

Any word on Earls? b

Sounds positive hopefully

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2019/0907/1074534-keith-earls-cian-healy-ireland-wales/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

That was Wales at close to full tilt. Full test intensity for 50 minutes from both teams but Ireland able to keep going.

Neither team relied much on set plays but otherwise it looked like a 6N match to me.

Naw, Wales have another gear.

Wales are a great team.....in Cardiff

Since the last WC they have only beaten SA(in US match) and Argentina outside of Cardiff. IN 6 nations they beat France, Italy and Scotland.

Their record outside of Cardiff is terrible.

I don't think they held back anything either. Ireland where just better on the day.

I don't disagree but they were very much on the back foot and somewhat threw the towel in. I'm not sure it would have made a difference yesterday, they couldn't live with us having tried for most of the first half.

They lost ground several times in possession during the second half. There isn't always a way back from that.

Same could be said of Ireland. It was still a preseason and a few of the players for Ireland are still not firing on all cylinders.....

It was a good warm up against two good teams but nothing to suggest either is going to have a better WC over the other.....

Just a nice send off for Joe and Rory

Flicked through Connacht Russia game.

Darragh leader must have the best field kicking in Irish rugby. Some boot on him from full back.

Anyway, Russia look very amateur. They were in no way equipped for the Connacht forwards and were repeatedly bullied at the gain line. It was almost tough to watch.

I really don't know what they are doing at a World Cup. They wouldn't be competitive in the Ail. Some of those lads are going to get hurt against a team like Samoa who love contact or just teams as well conditioned as Ireland / Scotland.

Japan similarly are a well drilled and organised team but they struggle to slow South African ball which just gifted the Saffers an easy platform.

If they play like that against us they'll have a tough time. They still might scare Scotland who huffed and puffed at Georgia for 70 minutes before closing out the game.

I don't disagree but they were very much on the back foot and somewhat threw the towel in. I'm not sure it would have made a difference yesterday, they couldn't live with us having tried for most of the first half.

They lost ground several times in possession during the second half. There isn't always a way back from that.

It’s a pre season game. They’ll be very very different when they play a game with something on the line, just as anyone would be.

The only thing people are caring about before getting to Japan is getting in shape and staying injury free and then some smaller combination stuff outside of that. We weren’t even contesting their line outs for most of it. At a certain point in those games you’re going to get scores you’d never get when everyone is putting their body on the line.

That’s not to say they would have beaten us if it was competitive. I don’t think you can map anyone’s performance in any of these games directly to some expected level of performance later on. We know very little at this stage. The beauty for us is that we aren’t in a position like South Africa, staring down the barrel of a game against New Zealand in two weeks, or Wales, looking at building to Australia in three.

All of those games in August were nothing games though. I think people are vastly overestimating how much can be taken from any of them. We weren’t taking points yesterday, we weren’t contesting line outs, we had a rookie caller on our own ball, we weren’t nearly as aggressive on some phases as others. We’re miles away from where we’ll be when we face New Zealand or South Africa in October and Wales are miles away from where they’ll be when they play Australia in three weeks.

It’s a pre season game. They’ll be very very different when they play a game with something on the line, just as anyone would be.

The only thing people are caring about before getting to Japan is getting in shape and staying injury free and then some smaller combination stuff outside of that. We weren’t even contesting their line outs for most of it. At a certain point in those games you’re going to get scores you’d never get when everyone is putting their body on the line.

That’s not to say they would have beaten us if it was competitive. I don’t think you can map anyone’s performance in any of these games directly to some expected level of performance later on. We know very little at this stage. The beauty for us is that we aren’t in a position like South Africa, staring down the barrel of a game against New Zealand in two weeks, or Wales, looking at building to Australia in three.

All of those games in August were nothing games though. I think people are vastly overestimating how much can be taken from any of them. We weren’t taking points yesterday, we weren’t contesting line outs, we had a rookie caller on our own ball, we weren’t nearly as aggressive on some phases as others. We’re miles away from where we’ll be when we face New Zealand or South Africa in October and Wales are miles away from where they’ll be when they play Australia in three weeks.

I feel like England went full tilt into their home games. They were ultra physical and aggressive both on and off the ball. More to come for sure but looked to me like a team at 85 or 90%.

Looking at some of those early collisions yesterday and the huge competition for the ball in contact and on the deck suggests to me that both teams wanted the win. If you told me nothing about the context I'd have called it as a competitive all to play for six nations match.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Russia only qualified because Romania Spain and Belgium were all disqualified. It’s a total fluke they’re there and not representative of the level of the minnows

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Just watched match again (without the benefits of beers).

Very happy with how that went. Looks like Earls is okay, too.

Clear that both teams have at least another gear but the Irish lads look very hungry which is always great to see.

We'll definitely have our strongest ever 23 in Japan. We might just have our best ever player in James Ryan. New Zealand? South Africa? Not bothered either way TBH. Bring it on!

• Advertisement

Stolen from Reddit after Ireland took top spot:

8extszcva7l31.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement