Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I think it's fantastic news for Fiona and RTE. It's great to have a grand slam winning captain in the commentary box. Even better than she's a woman. Fair play to Eir for getting Eimear Considine involved too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Lads, that username says enough tbh.

I would increase the 99 numbers.....plenty more :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I had 15 years of Ryle.

I'll gladly take Fiona Coghlan's commentary.

I hear on the radio that Fiona Coghlan is commentating on 2 of the quarter finals. RTE just can't help but push their feminist agenda.

Oh **** off

Clegg wrote: »
    I had 15 years of Ryle.

I actually dont mind Ryle, then again I met him years ago and he was sound....

People hate Barnes on Sky but I like him, maybe its because I grew up listening to him so I associate him with Heineken cup....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I had 15 years of Ryle.

Jamie “staying the obvious” Heaslip is on c4. He’s brutal. I’d take Coughlans analysis anyday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

I had 15 years of Ryle.

The man whose commentary is associated with numerous big moments of Irish Rugby (It's Tommyy Bowweeee, grand slam) is worse than a monotone commentator who can't even call what is happening on the pitch?

The man whose commentary is associated with numerous big moments of Irish Rugby (It's Tommyy Bowweeee, grand slam) is worse than a monotone commentator who can't even call what is happening on the pitch?

Fair point, he practically passed Tommy Bowe the ball alright.

Keep digging.....Im sure at some stage you are bound to hit Oz....

Jamie “staying the obvious” Heaslip is on c4. He’s brutal. I’d take Coughlans analysis anyday

The difference being Heaslip has actually played at the top level in the mens game. He knows what's going on and has experience.

How does Coghlan know what it's like to play in a world cup? We had the womens world cup here last year and no one cared about it. There's probably more Irish going to japan than attended the home world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EachSmallChime

The difference being Heaslip has actually played at the top level in the mens game. He knows what's going on and has experience.

How does Coghlan know what it's like to play in a world cup? We had the womens world cup here last year and no one cared about it. There's probably more Irish going to japan than attended the home world cup.

I don't get why attendance at the women's world cup has anything to do with anything?

This muck of "having to play at the highest level" always get's trucked out when people are outraged by a female commentator/analyst. Her job (or Jamie Heaslip's) is not to regale you with stories of old but to call what they see on the pitch and point out things that plebs like us don't pick up on.

I don't get why attendance at the women's world cup has anything to do with anything?

This muck of "having to play at the highest level" always get's trucked out when people are outraged by a female commentator/analyst. Her job (or Jamie Heaslip's) is not to regale you with stories of old but to call what they see on the pitch and point out things that plebs like us don't pick up on.

Eh no? Not withstanding the fact that Coghlan constantly calls things wrong to a George Hamilton level, co commentators often give their opinion on what teams should do. You don't remember the last world cup where England had a lineout 5m out near the end of the game and they went to the front of the lineout and were pushed out over the sideline? The co-commentator had the knowledge and experience to say the front jumper is easy to push to the sideline.

Those kinds of tactics don't exist in the womens game. How many choke tackles are in womens rugby?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Attendences seemed pretty good for the World Cup here. Couldn't get tickets for group games so went along to UCD fanzone and it was a fun day out with a good atmosphere. Went up to Belfast for finals and it was great :)

No need for the outrage over commentators. There are good ones and bad ones going to be on stations and channels all across the airwaves. But this didn't start with an issue of quality, it was a "feminist agenda," so that tells me how much I need to pay attention to this strand of conversation in the thread. If you don't like the commentator, find a different station - I'm sure there'll be plenty of manly men stations covering the RWC.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 21,622 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Feckin' women, coming in and taking our jobs, next thing they'll be saying they deserve the right to vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Coghlan isn't good, monotone voice and constantly doesn't see what's going on.

Just like Conor McNamara should be nowhere near a rugby match either.
    She does see what's going on and is perfectly fine as co commentator

You dont need to have played to top level in mens game to be a co commentator. Coghlan has huge experience in the game. Nearly 100 caps for Ireland, played in 3 world cups.
    Eh no? Not withstanding the fact that Coghlan constantly calls things wrong to a George Hamilton level, co commentators often give their opinion on what teams should do. You don't remember the last world cup where England had a lineout 5m out near the end of the game and they went to the front of the lineout and were pushed out over the sideline? The co-commentator had the knowledge and experience to say the front jumper is easy to push to the sideline.

Those kinds of tactics don't exist in the womens game. How many choke tackles are in womens rugby?
    Have you ever watched a womens game?
    All the tactics that exist in mens game are in the womens game
    Stop embarrassing yourself

Got a fella who played at the highest level he can’t articulate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭KAMG

I didn't see and won't see what you posted, I posted my own back row and you disagreed with it.

:pac:

Gas. We should change our team and philosophy because the opposition posted a scary picture!

Lets just bring along an intern whose handy with photoshop and stick a 3rd nipple on Tadhg Furlong and we'll have the world cup in the bag.

Jaysus that's some cowardly nonsense.

How old are you ShefWedFan? Going by your username, I'd say your in your 40s. Going by your comments I'd say your in your early teens. Just having Conan in the back row in place of O Mahoney/Stander isn't going to make all that much difference size wise. Formwise, he would do however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Folks the second they posted the words "feminist agenda" I just skipped through.

We've got a world cup in 2 weeks. Can we not engage some misogynist ramblings?

• Site Banned Posts: 41 thesiegeof

Is Best going to be dropped? Kilcoyne an impact sub or will he jump past Healy? Standar to start at 6 with Conan at 8? Ringrose benched? I think every other position is picked baring injury. The most important question of all is; what tactics and moves have we held back for the World Cup?

thesiegeof wrote: »
    Is Best going to be dropped? Kilcoyne an impact sub or will he jump past Healy? Standar to start at 6 with Conan at 8? Ringrose benched? I think every other position is picked baring injury. The most important question of all is; what tactics and moves have we held back for the World Cup?

What have we held back?
    Unless Joe is gonna come along and post then by their nature what has been held back won’t be seen until we are at the World Cup.

• Advertisement

Don't see why Best would be dropped.

Yesterday he showed exactly why Joe has him in his teams.

Watched the lineouts that were robbed and the throw was excellent on both. Wales just got up quick and had an unfair adavantage as they closed the gap both times (something they were penalised for)

Killer is showing immense form but I can't see him displacing Healy.

I was backing Conan to get that 8 shirt off CJ but he still needs to show more I feel. We haven't seen the performance that he put in against Sarries or Glasgow last season. He's capable of it.

Ringrose might well find himself benched. Robbie did incredibly well in the 13 channel with superb defensive reads.

But all of our centres offer pretty different games. I think there is less "first choice" and more "horses for courses"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I had 15 years of Ryle.

I'll see your Ryle and raise you Fred Cogley - he was absolutely clueless....and a voice perhaps even more annoying than Ryle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Could we try to ignore the trolls? If we don't give them attention they might crawl back into their 1950's hole.

Meanwhile IRFU have confirmed Earls will be on the plane on Wednesday.

• Site Banned Posts: 41 thesiegeof

What have we held back?
    Unless Joe is gonna come along and post then by their nature what has been held back won’t be seen until we are at the World Cup.

Um yeah, that's my point but do we think we have something stored or were we holding things back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

What have we held back?

Almost everything has been held back. The lineouts have been as basic as you get. We haven't done one strike play, we've used different game plans. There's so much that Ireland could have done in these games but haven't because they don't matter and it would make no sense to show our hand before the world cup.

Um yeah, that's my point but do we think we have something stored or were we holding things back?

We're definitely holding back.

Murray Kinsella loves making reference to Joes "Power Plays"

We haven't really seen any these games. There hasn't been too many innovative backline moves or 5 phase plays off setpiece

Gatland even made reference to us running off 9 constantly. And he was kind of right.

We've been borderline cagey

• Registered Users Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I think we saw the template for our World Cup in that Wales game. Accuracy and intensity in defence and muscle in attack.

If that's the case then I think Aki and Henshaw will be the starting centre partnership. Ringrose is our best 13, but if the plan is match the big teams head on he doesn't fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

We're definitely holding back.

Murray Kinsella loves making reference to Joes "Power Plays"

We haven't really seen any these games. There hasn't been too many innovative backline moves or 5 phase plays off setpiece

Gatland even made reference to us running off 9 constantly. And he was kind of right.

We've been borderline cagey

He was right, but I thought his tone was very uncharitable, perhaps not surprising. It's not like he is unfamiliar with the approach/gameplan we used.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I always have a little smirk when Gatland starts that lark.

Wales prefer to play without the ball for christ sake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

There's effectively two tactics in games like these warm ups to build up match fitness and avoid giving anything away. They are do everything off 9 (build up fitness by lots of rucking) or to go wide wide as much as possible (build up fitness by spreading the play quickly and offloading).

We went more wide wide against England and Wales the first time so Gatland was probably expecting the same on Saturday and probably prepared as such.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement