Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 NFL season Week 1 Thread

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,339 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The hell happened on SNF ? Where the pats that good or were the steelers that bad ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The hell happened on SNF ? Where the pats that good or were the steelers that bad ?
    Only watched the first half so far, but Pats coverage was excellent, nothing downfield for the Steelers. Ben had plenty of time, not under much pressure, but between the Pats secondary and LBs, they gave very little away.
    Pats looked good on offense, Brady as good as ever.

My beloved Ravens are gonna score some serious points this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Steelers really need to look at Thomlin. First half they go for it on 4th down on the halfway line, but hand it back to Brady with 2mins left in the half and Pats get a FG. Start of 2nd and he doesn't go for 4th on the Pats goal line (down 20pts) and kick a FG (so still down 3 scores), the Pats respond with an immediate TD to pretty much finish the game with 8mins left in the 3rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

My beloved Ravens are gonna score some serious points this season.

They won’t be playing the Dolphins every week unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

That was a pretty toothless performance from the Steelers.I didn't expect them to win but the Patriots didn't even have to get into top gear,receivers were able to get open so easily .Outside of juju , Conner and James Washington it's a poor offense.Big game for them next week against Seattle .

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Oat23 wrote: »
    That timeout they called was hilarious and might lose them the game.

Well it didn't lose them the game, but it did cost them the win. The worst timeout I've seen since Garrett iced his own kicker. They would have had the first down going into the 2-minute warning & then victory formation.

Additionly, the Cardinals had barely mustered 100 yards of offence going into the 4th quarter. Then the Lions in their infinite wisdom decide to start playing prevent for the rest of the game, massively helping Murray who struggled mightily before that & the rest is history.
    Awful, awful coaching:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,942 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Unreal before the start tonight, the officials got booed walking out into the stadium.
    Saints D looked really good on the first Houston drive. They got to Watson on 3rd and 15.

7-3 to Houston after another stop by the Texans just now. They have the ball again and will look to open this lead up now.

Great game of ball after a scoreless first quarter. Saints currently lead 24-21. Texans just starting a drive from deep in their own half.

• Advertisement

Saints have the momentum now ,I've been impressed with Watson though hes made some big throws

Saints have the momentum now ,I've been impressed with Watson though hes made some big throws
    Watson has looked good by times but he has looked awful at times too. He identified that the saints were coming and then on the snap he turns his back on it and gets sacked. The interception was a crazy throw into double coverage.

Dirty from Brees. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Holy sh!t deshaun there you go man

Kicker misses, flag called, retake and a 1 point game

Aw man

What a finish though

I'm only in to my 2nd year of NFL but that was intense craic.

Kicker wins it with a 58 yard field goal

Its amusing on commentary the kicker get no credit,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

paulie21 wrote: »
    Rams @ Panthers
    Rams looked a bit rusty in this 30-27 game, but that was expected with most starters sitting out during the 4 preseason games.

Raiders start off with an impressive drive with Tyrell William getting the td pass from Carr.

Will Lutz hit a field goal from 58 yards with no time left on the clock to win it for the Saints in the early game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

You'd have to feel good for raiders fans tonight after the ****e they've had to deal with in the last few days. They're enjoying sending an FU to AB anyway. Hope they push on and win now. No hard feeling toward Fangio of course...

14-0 at halftime to the Raiders. Offense looks good, Tyrell Williams looks special as a no.1 and Walker looks every bit as good as his predecessor.
    Now this is the surreal thing. We heard about Burflict preventing AB from hitting Mayock a couple of days ago. Well he was out there pulling Raiders out of a shemozzle tonight. He was then seen going over to Derek Carr congratulating him on his impressive work on the Raiders second td drive. The guy has become a leader and appears a real smart man.
    Raiders D like old decent too but it's Joe Flacco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I'm only following the box score as nowhere near a TV, but why would Denver take a field goal when down by 14 with 8 minutes left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,161 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Packers @ Bears
    Redskins @ Eagles
    Bills @ Jets
    Falcons @ Vikings
    Ravens @ Dolphins
    Chiefs @ Jags
    Titans @ Browns
    Rams @ Panthers
    Bengals @ Seahawks
    Colts @ Chargers
    49ers @ Buccaneers
    Giants @ Cowboys
    Lions @ Cardinals
    Steelers @ Patriots
    Texans @ Saints
    Broncos @ Raiders

10-6 start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭Christy42

eagle eye wrote: »
    Watson has looked good by times but he has looked awful at times too. He identified that the saints were coming and then on the snap he turns his back on it and gets sacked. The interception was a crazy throw into double coverage.

He missed the second Blitzer. I reckon he thought they were just sending an extra man. One Saints player jumped and he saw it.

Does take his time given he knows that offensive line will collapse sooner rather than later though

Christy42 wrote:
    He missed the second Blitzer. I reckon he thought they were just sending an extra man. One Saints player jumped and he saw it.
    If you know they are coming you don't turn your back. If the play calls for you to do that then you change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭collybyrne

collybyrne wrote: »
    Hi All, long time reader, decided to jump in and have a go this year:

Packers @ Bears
    Redskins @ Eagles
    Bills @ Jets
    Falcons @ Vikings
    Ravens @ Dolphins
    Chiefs @ Jags
    Titans @ Browns
    Rams @ Panthers
    Bengals @ Seahawks
    Colts @ Chargers
    49ers @ Buccaneers
    Giants @ Cowboys
    Lions @ Cardinals
    Steelers @ Patriots
    Texans @ Saints
    Broncos @ Raiders

12 - 4 for this week.

Just to confirm, if a game ends in a tie (i.e. Lions @ Cards), does it count as a loss on your record?

eagle eye wrote: »
    If you know they are coming you don't turn your back. If the play calls for you to do that then you change it.

I mean at a certain point he has to look at the right side of the field for your receivers at which point your back is turned. He didn't think they were coming. He thought one man was coming and ensured there was a blocker for him.

He misread the coverage and so didn't realise the extra blitzer was coming. His issue is he misread the play, he though he had a blocker for each blitzer.

I don't know if the player dropped back for a second or what but he missed it. Hopefully he will learn and read it a bit better going forward.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Packers @ Bears
    Redskins @ Eagles
    Bills @ Jets
    Falcons @ Vikings
    Ravens @ Dolphins
    Chiefs @ Jags
    Titans @ Browns
    Rams @ Panthers
    Bengals @ Seahawks
    Colts @ Chargers
    49ers @ Buccaneers
    Giants @ Cowboys
    Lions @ Cardinals
    Steelers @ Patriots
    Texans @ Saints
    Broncos @ Raiders

Seems like a lot of heavy favourites this week.

I think the Bears D will take a step back under a new Co ordinator and Rogers to get back to being Rogers.

Falcons/Vikes is also a close game along with Texans/Saints. Some iffy moves for the Texans but for this season Tunsil will be a big boon. Still think Brees et al. Will have too much for them.

Jags were the only team to hold Mahomes to 0 TDs so they have a shot but unfortunately I can't see it. Hopefully we will at least see a better offense from Foles (though it will be maintained, remember Bortles ripped the Pats defense to shreds a year ago and that did not go well for the season).

12-4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

8-7-1

Not a great start considering I went for alot of dogs there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

I'm only following the box score as nowhere near a TV, but why would Denver take a field goal when down by 14 with 8 minutes left?

Rookie mistake by an 'old' rookie HC - stupid - but one of many stupid things last night from Denver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Bears
    Eagles
    Jets
    Vikings
    Ravens
    Chiefs
    Browns
    Rams
    Seahawks
    Chargers
    49ers
    Cowboys
    Lions
    Patriots
    Saints
    Broncos

10-6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,161 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

collybyrne wrote: »
    12 - 4 for this week.

Just to confirm, if a game ends in a tie (i.e. Lions @ Cards), does it count as a loss on your record?

I think it should because your picking a team to win and they didn’t win. Ties were rare enough until they brought in 10 mins OT

Seems like the two MNF games were great games. I’ll have to watch the condensed versions later today and the rest of the week. I can’t remember who I picked either.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Packers @ Bears
    Redskins @ Eagles
    Bills @ Jets
    Falcons @ Vikings
    Ravens @ Dolphins
    Chiefs @ Jags
    Titans @ Browns
    Rams@ Panthers
    Bengals @ Seahawks
    Colts @ Chargers
    49ers @ Buccaneers
    Giants @ Cowboys
    Lions @ Cardinals
    Steelers @ Patriots
    Texans @ Saints
    Broncos @ Raiders

Finished 11-5 in week one. I bought into the Browns hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Packers @ Bears
    Redskins @ Eagles
    Bills @ Jets
    Falcons @ Vikings
    Ravens @ Dolphins
    Chiefs @ Jags
    Titans @ Browns
    Rams @ Panthers
    Bengals @ Seahawks
    Colts @ Chargers
    49ers @ Buccaneers
    Giants @ Cowboys
    Lions @ Cardinals
    Steelers @ Patriots
    Texans @ Saints
    Broncos @ Raiders

11-5

I think the Browns will have tripped a lot of people up :o

Christy42 wrote: »
    I mean at a certain point he has to look at the right side of the field for your receivers at which point your back is turned. He didn't think they were coming. He thought one man was coming and ensured there was a blocker for him.

He misread the coverage and so didn't realise the extra blitzer was coming. His issue is he misread the play, he though he had a blocker for each blitzer.

I don't know if the player dropped back for a second or what but he missed it. Hopefully he will learn and read it a bit better going forward.

Also have to give him some credit when it's due he hung tough and threw a dime on that last td

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭collybyrne

I think it should because your picking a team to win and they didn’t win. Ties were rare enough until they brought in 10 mins OT

That's spot on thanks for confirming. I've noticed that's what everyone else is doing anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Packers @ Bears
    Redskins @ Eagles
    Bills @ Jets
    Falcons @ Vikings
    Ravens @ Dolphins
    Chiefs @ Jags
    Titans @ Browns
    Rams @ Panthers
    Bengals @ Seahawks
    Colts @ Chargers
    49ers @ Buccaneers
    Giants @ Cowboys
    Lions @ Cardinals
    Steelers @ Patriots
    Texans @ Saints
    Broncos @ Raiders

Week 1 is like picking the lottery numbers, but the lottery is done in binary.
    10-6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I wish NBC would stop flashing yellow streaks over the score board every 20 seconds. Keep thinking there’s been a flag :rolleyes:

It took ESPN less than 1 half of football to remove the yellow flash after viewer feedback. NBC have had it for a year now.

https://twitter.com/bhofheimer_espn/status/1171225156502638593

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭conor222

conor222 wrote: »
    Bears
    Redskins @ Eagles
    Bills @ Jets
    Falcons @ Vikings
    Ravens @ Dolphins
    Chiefs @ Jags
    Titans @ Browns
    Rams @ Panthers
    Bengals @ Seahawks
    Colts @ Chargers
    49ers @ Buccaneers
    Giants @ Cowboys
    Lions @ Cardinals
    Steelers @ Patriots
    Texans @ Saints
    Broncos @ Raiders

11-5 for week 1, not too bad

Packers @ Bears
    Redskins @ Eagles
    Bills @ Jets
    Falcons@ Vikings
    Ravens @ Dolphins
    Chiefs @ Jags
    Titans @ Browns
    Rams@ Panthers
    Bengals @ Seahawks
    Colts @ Chargers
    49ers @ Buccaneers
    Giants @ Cowboys
    Lions @ Cardinals
    Steelers @ Patriots
    Texans @ Saints
    Broncos@ Raiders

11-5. Not bad for week 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Packers @ Bears
    Redskins @ Eagles
    Bills @ Jets
    Falcons @ Vikings
    Ravens @ Dolphins
    Chiefs @ Jags
    Titans @ Browns
    Rams @ Panthers
    Bengals @ Seahawks
    Colts @ Chargers
    49ers @ Buccaneers
    Giants @ Cowboys
    Lions @ Cardinals
    Steelers @ Patriots
    Texans @ Saints
    Broncos @ Raiders

11-5 week 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Oat23 wrote: »
    It took ESPN less than 1 half of football to remove the yellow flash after viewer feedback.

Shame they aren't as responsive to my Booger McFarland tweets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭Paleface

Paleface wrote: »
    Packers @ Bears
    Redskins @ Eagles
    Bills @ Jets
    Falcons @ Vikings
    Ravens @ Dolphins
    Chiefs @ Jags
    Titans @ Browns
    Rams @ Panthers
    Bengals @ Seahawks
    Colts @ Chargers
    49ers @ Buccaneers
    Giants @ Cowboys
    Lions @ Cardinals
    Steelers @ Patriots
    Texans @ Saints
    Broncos @ Raiders

I'm either 12 - 3 - 1 or 12 - 4.

Can someone clarify how you score a draw please?

Edit: Draw clarified as a loss which leaves me as 12 - 4.

Well the CBS sports picks which we have here on boards gave me a loss for the Lions vs cardinals game. I mean you pick a team to win and technically neither team won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭conor222

I'm tracking them as a loss as the team I picked to win didn't, Think that's what others were doing earlier too

Advertisement