Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭kuang1

Anybody know this one... Do the squad travel in first class on Wednesday?
    Can't imagine James Ryan being too comfortable in Economy all the way to Tokyo!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,657 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Of course they travel business class?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Gatland was obviously fairly sour in his interview but he's completely right about us playing off 9, it is how we play. Look at how many rucks we have a game and how many passes our 9 makes a game compared to other teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

It’s just fairly hard to take Gatland seriously on this when we probably played our best attacking rugby in nearly a year at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

ELM327 wrote: »
    Of course they travel business class?

Random anecdote.

A friend of mine works on the Lions admins staff (and the general business that runs the 6N and used to run the Pro14).

Anyway, she said on the 2013 tour there was only enough business class seats on whatever airline for 36 out of 37 players. So they had to draw straws.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

kuang1 wrote: »

They have a deal with Aerlingus, would Aerlingus/AIG not fly them on their own plane?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    They have a deal with Aerlingus, would Aerlingus/AIG not fly them on their own plane?

AI wouldn’t have a plane to send out to japan for a couple of days, it would be fairly empty going out and completely empty coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

errlloyd wrote: »
    Random anecdote.

A friend of mine works on the Lions admins staff (and the general business that runs the 6N and used to run the Pro14).

Anyway, she said on the 2013 tour there was only enough business class seats on whatever airline for 36 out of 37 players. So they had to draw straws.

I bet Dylan Hartley lost, he can’t write let alone draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I bet Dylan Hartley lost, he can’t write let alone draw.

She actually told me who lost which was sort of fortunate and unfortunate. Apparently he's terrified of flying and didn't mind being away from the lads so they didn't make it worse for him, but at the same time economy is a worse place to get away from the fear of flying than business.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

It’s just fairly hard to take Gatland seriously on this when we probably played our best attacking rugby in nearly a year at the weekend.

I dunno if I disagree or we're just completely damning Ireland with faint praise here. We made relatively low number of metres, didn't beat many defenders, didn't make too many breaks etc. I didn't think we played particularly good attacking rugby, think about how long we spent camped in their 22 without scoring (and I don't care how illegal they were tbh, up to Ireland to deal with it if the ref won't). Our tries were close range efforts all, the two in the second half from just grinding them down.

I thought there were other very good things about us, definitely the most cohesive we've been in the warmups, pack were overall very good, defence generally was excellent, wouldn't have conceded a try but for that intercept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Random anecdote.

Wasn't that because one extra was flying due to injury cover?

I remember reading an interview with a player who was saying they brought another player as cover?

It was the same interview they said Warburton immediately offered to sit in economy but was carrying a hammy injury so an English player (I want to say Dan Cole?) offered instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Ireland book the whole business/first class cabin for southern hemisphere tours so imagine its the same for Japan.

The flights home are the start of the end of season piss up and some of the antics would make the 90's English football team squirm.

Dont ever think you'll read about it in the paper mind you, Irelands favorite rugby correspondent has been up front on more than one occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

kuang1 wrote: »

They absolutely do.

Sure they're always posting on social media when they travel various thanks Air Lingus for the goodies type posts from their business class seats

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

She actually told me who lost which was sort of fortunate and unfortunate. Apparently he's terrified of flying and didn't mind being away from the lads so they didn't make it worse for him, but at the same time economy is a worse place to get away from the fear of flying than business.

Must have been Zebo so, we all know how bad he is in the air.

salmocab wrote: »
    AI wouldn’t have a plane to send out to japan for a couple of days, it would be fairly empty going out and completely empty coming back.

Aerlingus is part of AIG....they have flights going that direction daily......Im sure if it was over their it would be full coming home.....

It looked like English rugby had a BA flight to themselves...BA part of AIG

We didn't really...

We held onto the ball, carried well and our halves kicked effectively.

We didn't do much else in attack other than not make mistakes. Even Kearney's try was more to do with the line he ran than the build up.

In short - we were fairly one dimensional but were determined and effective implementing a basic gameplan and Wales couldn't live with us.

Gatland was frustrated because his team ran out of options and couldn't beat us physically. Highlights the quality of the result from an Irish perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Aerlingus is part of AIG....they have flights going that direction daily......Im sure if it was over their it would be full coming home.....

It looked like English rugby had a BA flight to themselves...BA part of AIG

Unless it was a branded aer Lingus plane it would be of no benefit to them, they want the publicity.

salmocab wrote: »
    Unless it was a branded aer Lingus plane it would be of no benefit to them, they want the publicity.

According to reports both England and Australia have been delayed mid flightbecause of storms

Not sure when Ireland are flying out so they might be delayed till these storms are over.....

Interesting if a game is delayed, it has to be played that day....if not played then both teams get 2 points.....no option, it will not be played the day after

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EachSmallChime

According to reports both England and Australia have been delayed mid flightbecause of storms

Not sure when Ireland are flying out so they might be delayed till these storms are over.....

Interesting if a game is delayed, it has to be played that day....if not played then both teams get 2 points.....no option, it will not be played the day after

This would be crazy. Imagine having to play the All Blacks in a QF, not because they lost to South Africa but because they only got 2 points from a cancelled game against Namibia

This would be crazy. Imagine having to play the All Blacks in a QF, not because they lost to South Africa but because they only got 2 points from a cancelled game against Namibia

World rugby have confirmed that is the process

Which could happen because Japan have had some serious storms recently

So beating Scotland might make f**k all difference at the end of the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭typhoony

Gatland was obviously fairly sour in his interview but he's completely right about us playing off 9, it is how we play. Look at how many rucks we have a game and how many passes our 9 makes a game compared to other teams.

I wonder has Schmidt decided that with only one out-half playing it's not worth going through Sexton, not sure how many passes Sexton received or gave but it didn't seem a lot, it will become interesting if Carbery plays also, then we might see the 2 pronged approach.

World rugby have confirmed that is the process

Which could happen because Japan have had some serious storms recently

So beating Scotland might make f**k all difference at the end of the day

beating Scotland will be a difficult task, having watched there warm-up games they seem to have developed the style of play that almost brought them a win against England, also the players have bulked up from what I can see, added power also.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,252 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If fancy our chance against new Zealand. Probably have the spread -4 in their favour.

We shouldn't fear them and our suffocating game is anathema to how they want to play....

JJJackal wrote: »
    Biggar was very clever. Acknowledging in a nothing game that it wasnt a try.

In a more important game where it is less clear, the ref is more likely to believe him when he says try

Sexton on the Off The Ball just now confirming it wasn't sportsmanship by Biggar, instead sexton reckons it was offside and should have gone back for a penalty.

• Site Banned Posts: 41 thesiegeof

sydthebeat wrote: »
    If fancy our chance against new Zealand. Probably have the spread -4 in their favour.

We shouldn't fear them and our suffocating game is anathema to how they want to play....

It seems people were getting too negative after the England performance but it seems to be the opposite with the latest Welsh performance.

typhoony wrote: »
    beating Scotland will be a difficult task, having watched there warm-up games they seem to have developed the style of play that almost brought them a win against England, also the players have bulked up from what I can see, added power also.

England gave up at half time and switched off...when they woke up they scored

I watched bit v Georgia, they looked rusty but so did we.....

We normally get accused of a slow starters but hopefully as we have played 4 games now we got over that.....

If they have added bulk then better for us, it is speed that would trouble is. They will not be able to over power us

Sexton on the Off The Ball just now confirming it wasn't sportsmanship by Biggar, instead sexton reckons it was offside and should have gone back for a penalty.

You have to love him!!! no BS with Sexton

• Subscribers Posts: 41,252 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

thesiegeof wrote: »
    It seems people were getting too negative after the England performance but it seems to be the opposite with the latest Welsh performance.

Nothing at all to do with the Welsh preformance but all to do with the trajectory of our and their preformances over the last 4 years.

I'm a follower of southern hemisphere rugby and while new Zealand deserve their slight favourite tag for the competition, they are not as good a group of players that they had in 2011 or absolutely 2015.

The way Ireland play, or at least how they can play at the top of their game, is exactly the style that pressurises new Zealand most. We don't attack from deep, we don't spread wide every time...... we keep it tight, hard and attritional, we play airialy and territory driven. If our first line defense is top notch they will resort to kicking over us, which plays into our positional pressure.
    As I said, I wouldnt have us as favourites to beat them..... But it would be a hell of a game.

• Site Banned Posts: 41 thesiegeof

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Nothing at all to do with the Welsh preformance but all to do with the trajectory of our and their preformances over the last 4 years.

I'm a follower of southern hemisphere rugby and while new Zealand deserve their slight favourite tag for the competition, they are not as good a group of players that they had in 2011 or absolutely 2015.

The way Ireland play, or at least how they can play at the top of their game, is exactly the style that pressurises new Zealand most. We don't attack from deep, we don't spread wide every time...... we keep it tight, hard and attritional, we play airialy and territory driven. If our first line defense is top notch they will resort to kicking over us, which plays into our positional pressure.
    As I said, I wouldnt have us as favourites to beat them..... But it would be a hell of a game.

I don't think New Zealand will win the World Cup, they definitely don't have as good a team as they've had at previous World Cups but, they have enough to beat us comfortably in my opinion. I think our style of play is going to look very outdated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Q

I wonder has Schmidt decided that with only one out-half playing it's not worth going through Sexton, not sure how many passes Sexton received or gave but it didn't seem a lot, it will become interesting if Carbery plays also, then we might see the 2 pronged approach.

Sexton passed 23 times and kicked 7 times. For some reason his number if runs isn't on UR but he def carried a bit as well. So he had over 30 involvements in 63 minutes. Given the fact that Wales had over 80% possession in the opening quarter that's a fair amount. Murray played an extra 8 mins and passed 98 times so it's safe to say that around 1 in 3 passes went to 10.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement