Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

antietam1 wrote: »
    NZ took of Crotty even though they had used all their subs and so finished with 14 players.
    Sorry if old news.

Hansen confirmed they had used up all the subs and only wanted to run Crotty for a specific amount of time so decided to take him off anyway and not replace

Risk of injury would have been higher if he stayed on and it really didnt matter as they would not lose th ematch and if they did who cared, it was a training match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

I didn't realize that Jamie Joseph had signed a lot of the Japanese squad to the Sun Wolves reserve team - so he could have them in camp for the last year or so (and control their game time etc.).

Shout out to Squidge Rugby for those who don't know: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoIL2G5p-Yg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Would recommend Saturdays IT article on Sexton for a read about him in previous WCups. Lots of bits I never heard before.
    One stat surprised me; the amount of games he has played since 2006, 286.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Would recommend Saturdays IT article on Sexton for a read about him in previous WCups. Lots of bits I never heard before.
    One stat surprised me; the amount of games he has played since 2006, 286.

286 games in 13 years is probably par for the course. Although he probably played a fair bit in the two years he was in Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Probably is normal enough. What it does disprove is the lazy narrative by those who don’t like him that he’s always injured and doesn’t play enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Probably is normal enough. What it does disprove is the lazy narrative by those who don’t like him that he’s always injured and doesn’t play enough

He played 10 games for Leinster last season, 12 the season before and 12 the season before that.

I think it's a fair enough statement really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

He played 10 games for Leinster last season, 12 the season before and 12 the season before that.

I think it's a fair enough statement really.

The year before racing he played 18 games for Leinster.

Think he is minded and probably not as robust as in the past.

An unreal player though at his peak

Saw Stander and VanGraan in Kildare Village earlier. I didn't see them together - but I've no doubt CJ was passing along vital quarter final information.

I’m sure Felix was in Leiters waiting for the dead drop

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Saw Stander and VanGraan in Kildare Village earlier. I didn't see them together - but I've no doubt CJ was passing along vital quarter final information.

A well know kerry td recently posted what he thought was a funny comment on social media about a well known sporting figure. The end of my story is the td had to make a public apology and give a sizeable donation to charity.

Your comment is not funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭RnR

Are the squad likely to train again before departure?

A well know kerry td recently posted what he thought was a funny comment on social media about a well known sporting figure. The end of my story is the td had to make a public apology and give a sizeable donation to charity.

Your comment is not funny

iwJ5iQe.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

iwJ5iQe.png

Which charity will you choose?

RnR wrote: »
    Are the squad likely to train again before departure?
    Probably on the beer and saying their goodbyes to the beer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

D14Rugby wrote: »
    So have we all officially calmed down now and realised that the English game wasn't actually the end of the world?

Nobody ever thought it was. England are excellent. Power, speed, and some skill. Few teams will handle their pack.

What we have learned (or hopefully had learned already from the phyrric victory against France in 2015) is that we have to play this WC smart. From the two wins, and the near miss, we have some chance of beating the All Blacks, and must engineer that quarterfinal as our best means of going where no Irish team has gone before. Hopefully, the ABs beat SA. We then have even longer to rest our 1st team, as the second string are fully capable of ensuring the needed loss to Scotland, without any risk to the health of our prime team. That needless risk in 2015 sunk our chances. This time, the benefit of throwing the Scotland game is even more the smart choice than 4 years ago. We must avoid the fear of hubris, and go strongly for that loss. If SA win, then we will have to gamble somewhat, and play a stronger, though not out and out full team, and hope its enough to beat Scotland. The remainder of the first team to be available on the bench to come on if the Scotts are sticky.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I think if we played England again now we'd lose again and by a decent margin too.

They have our number

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Nobody ever thought it was. England are excellent. Power, speed, and some skill. Few teams will handle their pack.

Go back a few pages to when we were going out in the group stages, the game plan had been worked out the players didn't know what rugby was nevermind how to play it anymore and say that again with a straight face.

The hysteria here for a week was unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,424 ✭✭✭✭cson

What we have learned (or hopefully had learned already from the phyrric victory against France in 2015) is that we have to play this WC smart. From the two wins, and the near miss, we have some chance of beating the All Blacks, and must engineer that quarterfinal as our best means of going where no Irish team has gone before. Hopefully, the ABs beat SA. We then have even longer to rest our 1st team, as the second string are fully capable of ensuring the needed loss to Scotland, without any risk to the health of our prime team. That needless risk in 2015 sunk our chances. This time, the benefit of throwing the Scotland game is even more the smart choice than 4 years ago. We must avoid the fear of hubris, and go strongly for that loss. If SA win, then we will have to gamble somewhat, and play a stronger, though not out and out full team, and hope its enough to beat Scotland. The remainder of the first team to be available on the bench to come on if the Scotts are sticky.

Not sure if this is a piss take but you're advocating purposely losing to Scotland in the first game so we can purposely engineer a game with New Zealand?

The Lord save us :rolleyes:

I think you need to remember what was going on here

If I remember we had posts saying Joe should just go now, let Farrell take over

Everyone had our number and we would not even get past the group

Loads of 2007 references etc etc etc

It was the end of the World for Irish rugby

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

I hear on the radio that Fiona Coghlan is commentating on 2 of the quarter finals. RTE just can't help but push their feminist agenda.

• Advertisement

I hear on the radio that Fiona Coghlan is commentating on 2 of the quarter finals. RTE just can't help but push their feminist agenda.

Does it matter if they are man, woman or child once they are good?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,252 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

She still knows more about rugby than you do.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

You ok hun?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Does it matter if they are man, woman or child once they are good?

Coghlan isn't good, monotone voice and constantly doesn't see what's going on.

Just like Conor McNamara should be nowhere near a rugby match either.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    She still knows more about rugby than you do.....

At least I can see what's going on in a rugby game unlike Coghlan who consistently miscalls what has just happened.

In your opinion

Then again every sports commentator has critics....no idea what been a woman has to do with it?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    In your opinion

Then again every sports commentator has critics....no idea what been a woman has to do with it?

I'll forward your question to Fiona herself who was on the radio gleefully announcing she will be the first female co commentator of an international mens game in Ireland.

At least I can see what's going on in a rugby game unlike Coghlan who consistently miscalls what has just happened.

Based on the few comments on here from you

I can take a fair stab she know a hell of a lot more than you :-)

Me as well mind you

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ah yes, it’s definitely her ability as a commentator that has you all triggered

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,252 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Lads, that username says enough tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement