Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soon to need a prescription for Nurofen/Solphadine/etc?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

fearcruach wrote: »
    It would only be hypocritical if pharmacies sold alcohol freely. Which they obviously don't.

I disagree.
    montane wrote: »
    Alot of Muslim countries would agree with you

Good for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 245 ✭✭montane

Shulgin wrote: »
    Good for them.

Maybe take up residence there, where you can avoid the pain of hypocrisy (at least when it comes to alcohol legislation)

montane wrote: »
    Maybe take up residence there, where you can avoid the pain of hypocrisy (at least when it comes to alcohol legislation)

Nothing more to say on the issue then?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭policeman

I think the general point some people are making here is, looking at the big picture, on a grand scale, taking all the interconnected bureaucratic systems and so-called, self proclaimed voices of "authority" and "reason" for society in this country [or any country for that matter], why the fook should we give 2 sh*ts about rules about anything, when all that exists around us all every day is a myriad of contradictions about how to behave, how not to behave, what to drink, what not to drink, what to eat, what not to eat, what drugs you are allowed to take, what drugs you are not allowed to take [and, tut tut, god forbid if it's not something your GP tells you you need to shove down your gob].

In this big picture we call life, there are a million and 1 ways to kill yourself, all freely available, but if you've got a nasty headache, or pain in your balls - well you can f*ck off right off my friend.

They'll have you think society needs to be disciplined and told what to do, and that this is going to make a significant impact on the big picture described above. I'm sorry, but that's just a bit retarded, and yes, as a result, we're all bold little kids that need a good scolding.

Bollocks to that.

Viva la liberte.

There are drugs approved and and continually prescribed by doctors and dispensed by chemists [albeit with a prescription, but dispensed none the less] in this country that are far more addictive/mind altering/dangerous/damaging than codeine...or even illegal drugs for that matter.

Hype. Hypocrisy. Lies. No wonder people think it's total and utter sh*t. It just goes on and on and on, ad nauseum [bit like this thread:D]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Again, I'll restate that these guidelines to me are little more than the actions of a professional body seeking to limit its legal exposure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

State it all you want,, it doesn't mean it's right

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

With regard to codeine regulation, and speaking as someone who dispenses medication in work, it makes perfect sense to expect people to justify their need for a therapeutic drug.
    Especially where alternatives that don't contain codeine are often as effective.
    People who buy over the counter meds are not experts in their own care and often get it wrong, this is why antibiotics are only available with prescription or some folk would take them for every smiffle.
    When sales of paracetemol was restricted a couple of years ago I heard similar nonsense about freedom, but then they weren't aware of the amount of people who accidentally overdose, thinking lemsip, tramil, panadol and even solpadeine all contain paracetemol, ending up with a knackered liver.

People have a tenancy to over medicate, thinking a sledgehammer is needed for every job.
    In codeines case, if someone feels they need it all the time and that nothing else will help them, they not only need to stop taking the drug, but also need to see their GP, as symptoms like that for that long are indicative of a serious underlying health problem.

Regulation is there as a form of protection of the public, part of the health and safety remit of both government and pharmacological bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I now know of two people who've kicked the habit since this has come in. This can only be a good thing, no? I cant understand the negativity towards this. You'll get them if you really need them.

The addiction/dependence codeine causes isn't nice, perhaps the people who haven't experienced this dont understand. Two wrongs dont make a right so I dont understand the arguements over alcohol. Anyway, they're still available if you explain why you need them.

For the record I was addicted for over 10 years to Solps and luckily managed to get off them.

Anyone here ever or currently addicted?? What do you think of the legislation? How has it affected you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mars1916

how can someone get addicted to solphs?? they contain something like a pathetic 8mg of codeine a very very week opiate, possibly the most **** of all. i cant have sympathy for some who manages to get themselfs hooked on such a **** drug, sorry.

and why are people talking about pharmacy's and perscriptions??? we havnt used them since the cro-magnon era. i asume you have heard of the internet? im not paying 50e for a doctor to tell me i cant have co-camadol for pain. as if they are perscribing ****ing heroin ITS ONLY CODEINE PEOPLE...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

mars1916 wrote: »
    how can someone get addicted to solphs?? they contain something like a pathetic 8mg of codeine a very very week opiate, possibly the most **** of all. i cant have sympathy for some who manages to get themselfs hooked on such a **** drug, sorry.

and why are people talking about pharmacy's and perscriptions??? we havnt used them since the cro-magnon era. i asume you have heard of the internet? im not paying 50e for a doctor to tell me i cant have co-camadol for pain. as if they are perscribing ****ing heroin ITS ONLY CODEINE PEOPLE...

:pac: as good an argument for stricter regulation of addictive meds as I have seen, there are many more like this guy..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I didn't know we had pharmacies and prescriptions in the Cro-Magnon era?
    Wasn't that, like, a long time ago?

Codeine is an opiate and extremely addictive, and it's not that crazy comparing it to heroin. There is 12.8mg in each solpadeine max, it's easy to take more than 'the recommended dose' for recreational effects. A LOT of people are addicted to codeine and making it slightly more difficult to obtain them is hardly a bad thing. You don't need to go to the doctor to get them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Have you even read the thread? You don't need a prescription!

It doesn't really matter how much codeine is in a product, the fact is it's proven to be physically addictive. Are the people on this thread who spoke about being addicted themselves or knowing people who were just making it up?

It doesn't affect you anyway..just keep buying drugs from dodgy internet sites to avoid any questioning and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

As long as they don't touch sudofed I'm golden..

Codeine is an opiate and extremely addictive, and it's not that crazy comparing it to heroin. There is 12.8mg in each solpadeine max, it's easy to take more than 'the recommended dose' for recreational effects. A LOT of people are addicted to codeine and making it slightly more difficult to obtain them is hardly a bad thing. You don't need to go to the doctor to get them either.

i know, i seid it was an opiate - probably the mildest of all opiates. and its not extremely addictive. and with 12.8 mg the amount needed to produce recreational effects would ruin your liver and make you feel very ill, with a possiblity of permanant damage. solpadeine is just not a recreational drug - its just not. i think its silly that once a moderatly usefull painkiller hits the market dogooders try and do away with it. if you do 50mg< of codeine each day for a short space of time, like less than 3 weeks for pain, very good odds are your not going to get addicted...

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Have you even read the thread? You don't need a prescription!

It doesn't really matter how much codeine is in a product, the fact is it's proven to be physically addictive. Are the people on this thread who spoke about being addicted themselves or knowing people who were just making it up?

It doesn't affect you anyway..just keep buying drugs from dodgy internet sites to avoid any questioning and you'll be grand.

i did read the thread, but co-camadol is perscription only.
    you dont need to go to dodgy websites for it, its over the counter in lots of countrys spain, and places in eastern europe ect, no dodgy websites needed. so if i need propper painkillers i dont have to take a paracetamaol that wont do anything. also its interesting to note that in places like spain, society isnt crumbling just cos people can have decent meds.

:pac: as good an argument for stricter regulation of addictive meds as I have seen, there are many more like this guy..

if anything my being able to get them with ease proves tight regulation doesnt work :p

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭japanesebanana

you dont need to go to dodgy websites for it, its over the counter in lots of countrys spain, and places in eastern europe ect, no dodgy websites needed. so if i need propper painkillers i dont have to take a paracetamaol that wont do anything. also its interesting to note that in places like spain, society isnt crumbling just cos people can have decent meds.

Can't get nurofen plus otc in spain

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

QUOTE]

WTF is co-camadol?

Can't get nurofen plus otc in spain

never seid you could, not even sure if that brand is over ther! but they are willing to sell you higher codeine formula's, and last time i was there i bought tramadol no questions asked.

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    QUOTE]

WTF is co-camadol?

codeine30mg/Paracetamol500mg perscription med. though the spelling is Co-codamol, my mistake. also comes in higher and lower formulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

if anything my being able to get them with ease proves tight regulation doesnt work :p

No it doesnt, :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Went to the dentist this morning- Got told my mouth is too swolen to take out a wisdom tooth, and that I'm to come back after 5 days of antibiotics etc (fair enough,) so I ask her is there anything I can do about the pain, and she recommends solpadeine. So, I go on my merry way down to boots on Grafton street, where I present a prescription for antibiotics, and try to explain to the girl through a lisp due to the swelling on my mouth, that I would like a box of Solpadeine. She goes to get the pharmacist, who asks me have I tried paracetamol, I say yes(this has been four days at me now) she asks did they work, I replied "If they did, I wouldn't be here right now," so she asks me to try Nurofen plus instead, which I can't take because I'm asthmatic. So in the end, after her trying to give me panadol max strength soluble tablets, she lets me leave with 12 soluble Solpadeine, which I will have gone through by tomorrow evening.

My girlfriend went in to get them for me yesterday because I was stuck in bed with a fever because of it, and the pharmacy wouldn't sell them to her for me. It really is unbelievable...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I had to ask the nurse to write a note for my sister after the chemist wouldn't give her Solpadeine after a biopsy.

Nurse wasn't too happy about having to write, even she offered to egt the doc to prescribe something stronger.

I don't blame the chemist but, not its harder to get your hands on than illegal drugs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Should have let the nurse get the doctor to prescribe you some tramadol or something. You'd be happy out by now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭BogMonkey

Nicotines more addictive than codeine but does that mean tobacco should be illegal? People have the right to decide for themselves whether they wanna smoke it or not. I don't smoke it because it does nothing for me but who the hell am I to say whether other people should be allowed smoke it or not? Making it more difficult to obtain them is a bad thing on many levels you clearly haven't even comprehended. Its amazing how people still have their heads far enough up their holes to believe that prohibition of psychoactive substances is a good thing. At least half of the criminal organisations today wouldn't even exist if there wasn't so much money to be made in the illegal drug trade. At least half of all violent crimes in the western World (the percentage would be way higher in many 3rd world countries such as Mexico) would not occur if drugs were sold as cheaply as sugar (heroin and cocaine are as easy and cheap to produce as refined sugar).
    Anyone here ever or currently addicted?? What do you think of the legislation? How has it affected you?
    I was prescribed dilaudid after an operation (had pins inserted into my hand to help my scaphoid heal) but the drug did nothing to quell the pain so I threw them in my drawer and decided to tough it out instead. A few months later I decided to see if the dilaudid worked for ADHD and despite what preconceptions many people seem to have about this, the drug worked wonders for it. Not only allowed me to focus, it made me far more optimistic about everything I was learning and it made learning highly enjoyable. I got physically addicted to the stuff but when I ran out after 3 weeks, I simply stopped taking them and toughed out the withdrawal symptoms. Dilaudid is hydromorphone which is a far more potent opioid than codeine and as a result the withdrawal symptoms are far harsher. To answer your question, I think this legislation is ridiculous. Codeine is a relatively safe substance and to be told that toxic compounds like paracetamol or ibuprofen are safe analgesics that should be used instead of codeine is an insult to the intelligence of anyone with half a brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭greenpilot

I now know of two people who've kicked the habit since this has come in. This can only be a good thing, no? I cant understand the negativity towards this. You'll get them if you really need them.

The addiction/dependence codeine causes isn't nice, perhaps the people who haven't experienced this dont understand. Two wrongs dont make a right so I dont understand the arguements over alcohol. Anyway, they're still available if you explain why you need them.

For the record I was addicted for over 10 years to Solps and luckily managed to get off them.

I'm addicted to Nurophen Plus. Have been taking 24 per day for the last 6 years. However, I'm done, so I am currently on day 3 of withdrawal.
    I went to my GP, told them the story and I am on a withdrawal program lasting 3 weeks.
    However, I told the GP I was on half the dose I was actually taking, as I wanted the GP to recommend a withdrawal program which would be quicker.
    So, I am on 1 X Zanex per day to combat the extreme anxiety due to the thoughts of not getting Nurophen and I am on the following withdrawal regime, which I am sticking to.
    5ml Codinex, 3 times a day for 5 days,
    then, 5ml Codinex, 2 times a day for 5 days,
    Finally, 5 ml Codinex, once a day for 5 days,

then, Im done. After 10 years. This is tough. I feel like I have the flu of the century, complete with no energy, lack of appetite and diarrhoea. However, today has not been too bad. First two days were a struggle.

One word of advice. Tell your partner. You need to do this. He/she will either stick with you or not. Mostly, they will stick with you. Im lucky, I have a partner who loves me and is helping me out. Because, there will be times when you think, feck this, im just going to take two or three. This is when relapse occurs and you need someone to chat to about why you should not take two or three.

Anyone else thinking of quitting? Only advice I can give you is just get it done. Your family will thank you for it later and they will have the old person back.

One thing about Coedine. It makes you feel good without you actually doing anything. Down the line, you stop doing the things you love because you dont need them to feel good.

K

The amount of people on Nurophen plus is at epidemic stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,361 ✭✭✭Damien360

Very honest post greenpilot. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The fact remains that codeine, wisely and carefully used, remains a very effective painkiller in cases where no other meds work. Like other meds it can be abused.

But that does not negate its therapeutic qualities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Graces7 wrote: »
    The fact remains that codeine, wisely and carefully used, remains a very effective painkiller in cases where no other meds work. Like other meds it can be abused.

But that does not negate its therapeutic qualities.

For me, the issue is with the amount of caffeine they put in things like “Solpadeine”, G.

Lots of people drink “Coke” or coffee. Go long enough without and you get the first symptom of caffeine withdrawals and/or dehydration, headache.

First thing you think when you get a headache is “take something”. In go the solpadeine and there’s your caffeine hit. Headache goes away and this is all before the codeine has a chance to do it’s job.

Rinse and repeat that over a few weeks/months and you’ve got yourself an addiction you had no idea you were getting. And as long as “businesses” are making a lot of money off of it it’s not going to change anytime soon.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement