Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nostalgic Food - Good and Bad!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ That's actually revolting :eek:

;)

Trying to taste it here. Salty tuna with creamy/sweet mushroom sauce, salty/bitter olives and crispy waffles. Bit of spice and it would tick all the taste buds.

Don't knock it till you've tried it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Seamai wrote: »
    So did mine, I'm not sure why people are so squeamish about it, it's a muscle no different to many other cuts of meat, true it's not a thing of beauty with it's outer casing intact but the meat is delicious.

I once refused tongue sandwiches at a church tea by telling the ladies I once was licked by a cow and had never eaten tongue since. To say they were upset is a massive understatement and I was not popular after that :eek:n

It is a personal part of an animal that is easy to recognise..

I never liked the texture or taste and now eat almost no meat ever and never beef or lamb.

Oh and in my younger days it was a poor person's meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Mrs G found an old cook book a few days ago. It was produced by the company that made Stork margarine and some related products that are obviously used in every recipe. Must be from the late70s/early 80s. It revealed to me that Avocado and toast is by no means a recent thing.:D Loads of Avocado recipes in this book. :D

That said. it's a real throwback to more basic times. The salads are boring and lashed with.....salad cream. The curry recipes are mad.:eek: When I get home later this week, I'll post a pic and some recipes.:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

L1011 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember a frozen potato product that was sort of like large hash browns with baked beans inside them?

May have been a specific Northern thing (NI/Donegal) as I mainly remember getting them in Donegal from The Cope branches and they would often have NI stock. Always only had Irn Bru when in Donegal until about 2007/8 when it started to appear in ROI.
    I remember my parents got something like that in Roches. I think they called them frisbees, they were mashed spud with beans in the middle and breadcrumbs on the outside, though I think they came from the fridge not the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Mrs G found an old cook book a few days ago. It was produced by the company that made Stork margarine and some related products that are obviously used in every recipe. Must be from the late70s/early 80s. It revealed to me that Avocado and toast is by no means a recent thing.:D Loads of Avocado recipes in this book. :D

That said. it's a real throwback to more basic times. The salads are boring and lashed with.....salad cream. The curry recipes are mad.:eek: When I get home later this week, I'll post a pic and some recipes.:D

Well Avocado is a real 70's thing!

TELEMMGLPICT000166137546_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqek9vKm18v_rkIPH9w2GMNtm3NAjPW-2_OvjCiS6COCU.jpeg?imwidth=450

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Well Avocado is a real 70's thing!

It lived on into the early 80s too - we actually chose an avocado coloured bathroom suite for our first house :o
    In fairness I don't think white was even on the list of options. The next door neighbour chose chocolate brown and it looked so dull she used to polish it to make it look better! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

When I think of avocado, I think of the 70s, too.
    Why do people think avacados are a new fad?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My mother picked an avocado suite (and a pink ensuite and a teal understairs toilet) in 1986 because she never thought white would come back in to fashion. We bought matching bogroll for each until they stopped making it in colours!

Some older people like to use the idea of an expensive food to slag off younger people, basically; and that's where the idea of avocado toast being new comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Fried bread with an egg, a hole was made in the center of a slice of bread and it was put into the frying pan along with the egg in the middle, the small piece of bread was fried too and used for dipping.

Homemade apple tart and cream.

Tayto sandwiches.

No one was fat, and we never heard of diabetes or cholesterol. Mainly because the only time we sat down was to eat or to watch telly for an hour or two a week.

My grandmother died of diabetes after losing both her legs. Just we did not talk about these things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Great thread! Anyone remember Steak & Kidney pies? They came in a tin but were kinda yummy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭phormium

You can still get those pies in tins, Iceland have them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,337 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

phormium wrote: »
    You can still get those pies in tins, Iceland have them anyway.

Larger Tescos too ... think they were mentioned earlier in thread. Fray Bentos?

https://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=277597842

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Banana Samwidges

I remember having sliced banana in a bowl of milk with sugar.
    Yeuch.
    I grew to really dislike bananas.

I remember having sliced banana in a bowl of milk with sugar.
    Yeuch.
    I grew to really dislike bananas.

The original baby food. Mashed banana with jam.

When I was a kid, because both my parents worked, most days I used to go to one of our neighbours after school to play with her son. Every day she’d give us cheese on toast for tea. At the time I hated cheese with a passion. I’d manage to keep down maybe a bite or two but would sneak the rest into their dog, who always sat beside me.

Not sure when it happened but love cheese with a passion now. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Larger Tescos too ... think they were mentioned earlier in thread. Fray Bentos?

https://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=277597842

Yep Fray Bentos, and they are still in dealz too, but have gotten smaller, still cheaper in dealz.

They had these in dealz
    Fray-Bentos-Chicken-Balti-Half-Time-Pie-702x336.jpg
    I had no idea what the football thing was about but later found out that some stadiums, I think one in particular, had a tradition of serving pies to the matchgoers at half time.

Haven't had cheese on toast in years! must have a try.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Denny tinned pies were very popular in the 60s and 70s.

Denny.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Denny tinned pies were very popular in the 60s and 70s.

Denny.jpg
    You can add the 80s to that, this is what I thought you were all talking about when someone mentioned steak & kidney pies :D

rubadub wrote: »

Add a dash of Worcestershire Sauce to the grated cheese before toasting.....:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Add a dash of Worcestershire Sauce to the grated cheese before toasting.....:cool:

This far from grated cheese we were raised. :P

I had no idea what the football thing was about but later found out that some stadiums, I think one in particular, had a tradition of serving pies to the matchgoers at half time.

Pies at matches in the UK are a huge thing, particularly in the Northern towns.

Slightly related story https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/exsutton-goalkeeper-wayne-shaw-banned-for-two-months-and-fined-over-piegate-incident-in-arsenal-cup-a3628756.html%3Famp

As for cheese toasties, I still have them a lot and always add Worcester sauce. Sublime comfort food. I prefer making them in the frying pan butter the outside to give an amazing crispness.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Will give it a go. People used to call it Welsh Rarebit the odd time I was making it and I remember seeing W sauce in recipes for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_rarebit
    Recipes for Welsh rarebit include the addition of ale, mustard, ground cayenne pepper or ground paprika[5][6][7] and Worcestershire sauce.
    This far from grated cheese we were raised. :P
    I find sliced easier to work with, grated fall off the sides too easily.

Not food but I remember drinking out of glasses similar to these for years, still might be 1 or 2 in the parents house, think they were free from texaco.

set-of-4-vintage-diamond-cross-cut-crystal-coffee-mugs-dublin.jpg

Will give it a go. People used to call it Welsh Rarebit the odd time I was making it and I remember seeing W sauce in recipes for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_rarebit

I find sliced easier to work with, grated fall off the sides too easily.

Not food but I remember drinking out of glasses similar to these for years, still might be 1 or 2 in the parents house, think they were free from texaco.

set-of-4-vintage-diamond-cross-cut-crystal-coffee-mugs-dublin.jpg

Yup, we had lots of those tankards.
    Definitely from one of the filling stations.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

OMG we had those too - I don't think there are any left though. On a similar note, does anyone remember the big soup mugs that were given away at one stage...I can't even remember if it was a soup brand or supermarket who gave them away but I know my gran had a few of them and used to use one for her tea before large mugs were commonplace.

She had one of these (she still has it actually)
    489813.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

miamee wrote: »
    OMG we had those too - I don't think there are any left though. On a similar note, does anyone remember the big soup mugs that were given away at one stage...I can't even remember if it was a soup brand or supermarket who gave them away but I know my gran had a few of them and used to use one for her tea before large mugs were commonplace.

She had one of these (she still has it actually)

Ooh yes indeed! Think my mum still has one aswell. That takes me back.

Like others have said, we had a schedule of food, you knew what was for dinner by what day of the week it was mostly.

Sunday - Sunday roast (pork, beef or lamb with roast potatoes, gravy and one of cauliflower, brussel sprouts, carrots. Broccoli seems to have been a later addition to dinners)
    Monday - leftovers of Sunday roast, same meat warmed up, same veggies if any left (cooked fresh again) and mashed potatoes, leftover gravy.
    Tuesday - boiled bacon, mashed turnip (yuck) and mash or boiled bacon with white sauce, cabbage, mashed potatoes. I hated Tuesday dinners.
    Wednesday - in later years lasagne and chips - obviously lasagne did not appear on our table until some time in the 90s (probably when Dolmio arrived in shops)
    Thursday & Friday - don't specifically remember these
    Saturday - burger and chips

Chips were always home made in the deep fat fryer. Funny thing - for years our 'roast' potatoes were chunks of potato done in the deep fat fryer, i.e. enormous chips really. I didn't have a real roast spud roasted in the oven until much later and I knew no different. Even now, proper roast spuds are only done by Mam on special occasions like Christmas :pac:

ETA: Sunday tea was a treat - Superquinn sausages, rashers, pudding, lots of fresh bread with real butter and if we were lucky, an iced fruit log from Superquinn would also be demolished with fights over who got the pieces with the most icing on top :D

I spoke to my soon to be 90 year old mum about this thread and for some reason, I knew, what dish she was going to mention, despite the fact that they weren't a common addition to out meals.
    Beef Olives.
    Pieces of beef bashed out flat, wrapped around stuffing, tied and cooked in gravy. They were a lot of trouble and I don't think we had them that often but it seems to be the one dish that my mother often brings up. Not had them in 35 years, I'd say.

For us, Sunday was always a roast - never chicken - beef, lamb or pork. Then on Mondays, like most here, it was leftovers of some sort. Sometimes it was shepherd's pie (always made with leftover roast - never mince), sometimes it was what we called "hash" - chunks of roast meat heated up with onions and gravy, and sometimes it was just cold meat with veg and potatoes.

I just remembered something kinda funny.
    In my teens as I developed a distaste for religion and well done meat, I would come down and turn the oven off for 40 minutes while my folks were at mass to reduce the cooking time a little:D Bratface:eek:

Some more.

We would sometimes have roasts midweek :eek:

Roast chicken - one chicken between 7 of us!
    Stuffed and rolled pork belly. Any kind of pork always had stewed apple with it.

Fridays was mostly fish with homemade chips. My mum used to make fish goujons but we knew them as "scampi". Sometimes it would be breaded plaice or sole.

Some Fridays my mum would make a chicken curry and serve it with rice - this was the only meal ever served without potatoes! I was a fussy git and wouldn't eat this meal so I got chicken and chips.

• Advertisement

^ Beef Olives. Haven’t thought of them in decades. I think they were nice. :)

Advertisement