Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nostalgic Food - Good and Bad!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The pickled onion flavour were majestic.

I don't recall them at all.
    I remember Tayto being 5p but not those.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Recliner

Turnip sandwiches - I kid you not.
    Those pies in tins which I still always have in my store cupboard, I love the pastry, especially the uncooked bit under the crust.
    Findus crispy pancakes, the ones nowadays aren't even related to how they used to taste.
    Angel delight, also still in my cupboard.
    Tinned meatballs, I bought a tin recently but they were disgusting compared to what I remember.
    My mothers roast potatoes and her stuffing.

Jam sandwiches. Banana sandwiches. Corned beef sandwiches. Sugar sandwiches. All with a bar of chocolate for lunch.

Dinner was generally spuds, veg and meat, but my mam mixed it up from time to time: smoked coley with crisps on top was a favourite for years. Also rare occasions would be bacon & cabbage. Thinking back, my mam wasn't the most adventurous but would bake a good bit (desserts mainly), and cook things from scratch.

I loved (and still do) beans, mash and grilled lamb or pork chops. Must make that soon actually.

Also still a big fan of bacon and cabbage - had that as an option at my wedding actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Recliner wrote: »
    Those pies in tins which I still always have in my store cupboard, I love the pastry, especially the uncooked bit under the crust.
    Findus crispy pancakes, the ones nowadays aren't even related to how they used to taste.
    Tinned meatballs, I bought a tin recently but they were disgusting compared to what I remember.

Turnip sandwiches is a new one on me. Had mash spud sandwiches.:D

The Denny steak and kidney pie in a tin. Never got it, but my Dad ate them. Had one as an adult and no not for me. But I agree about the soggy pastry under the top crust.

Crispy pancakes were great. I haven't had one in nearly 20 years.

Angel Delight is still stocked in my house along with the Birds Trifle box. I love the childhood taste memories, which brings me on to the tinned meatballs made by Campbells. Back in the day, the meatballs in gravy tasted okay. I loved them anyway. I tried the Frey Bentos version a couple of years ago for the first time since my teens. Disgusting stuff. But like all of the above it's probably my adult taste buds and exposure to decent food that makes the oldies taste crap these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Hallaz

Toasted banana sandwiches from the toasted sandwich maker that sealed edges and formed the triangles. Sprinkled with sugar before cooked. I ate them everyday for lunch in school. Every day for about 4 years until the day i top loaded with sugar and it over-caramelised. Turned me off them completely, for about 4 years!

Then i turned to egg and salad cream sandwiches.

Cheap and nasty frozen burgers that were then added into a pot of gravy before being put on top of mashed carrot and potato

When i started work i was partial to i think the knorr quick lunch trays curried rice or noodles. Only in the long trays mind you. Never took to the pot versions!

I also remember the first time i had taco chips in Abrakebabra in Baggot St.
    My mind was blown. Tasted unbelievably gorgeous and barely resembles what they serve now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Not too long ago but pork chops with an inch of fat on them. Drool! :)

Not too long ago but pork chops with an inch of fat on them. Drool! :)

And a bone! Droolier!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Anyone else remember Complan?

In our house if you were sick and couldn't face a meal you were given Complan mixed with milk and it was the cure all.

When you were upstairs in bed you'd hear people calling and asking about ya only to be told "He's very sick altogether, but we have him on the Complan."

It was like a working class boast of how well the kids were looked after when they were sick, it worked too.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

Hallaz wrote: »
    Toasted banana sandwiches from the toasted sandwich maker that sealed edges and formed the triangles. Sprinkled with sugar before cooked. I ate them everyday for lunch in school. Every day for about 4 years until the day i top loaded with sugar and it over-caramelised. Turned me off them completely, for about 4 years!

Then i turned to egg and salad cream sandwiches.

Cheap and nasty frozen burgers that were then added into a pot of gravy before being put on top of mashed carrot and potato.
    Our neighbour that used to mind us when we went to her house at lunchtime from school fed us the banana sandwiches from the sandwich toaster aswell..Remember her sprinkling the brown sugar over the sliced bananas using a desertspoon to this day. We met her recently in the company of my mother and were having a laugh about the old days. She pointblank denied feeding them to us even thou the guilt was written all over her face :D

Also remember one of my friends telling me his family were loaded compared to the rest of the road cos his Mother could afford the Granby frozen burgers and only the well off could afford them :D

At one point when our mother could finally afford a small amount of frozen food every week i developed an addiction to Bacon and Cheese Mini pizzas(3 in a box/bag)..cant find them anywhere now its either ham and cheese or pepporoni thou they would prob taste so different now anyway.

Also remember one of my friends telling me his family were loaded compared to the rest of the road cos his Mother could afford the Granby frozen burgers and only the well off could afford them :D

LOL!

Granby were the poor peoples burger. Frozen? NAH. Fresh (sort of) wrapped in cling film with a label. 15p each.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I can remember when salad cream was the only show in town and along came mayonnaise and knocked it off it's perch, still prefer salad cream, has more of a kick to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

This stuff, I adored it!

fef8cf9df5c25883ed6d63cee8928f94.jpg

Super noodles have also changed their chicken flavoured noodles. They're crap now, used to be a lovely luminous yellow, now it's 'roast' chicken & a beige colour :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

Grandeeod wrote: »

LOL!

Granby were the poor peoples burger. Frozen? NAH. Fresh (sort of) wrapped in cling film with a label. 15p each.:D
    I was privileged to be allowed a look in their freezer where they had stockpiled enough of these to last an entire snowed in winter so presumed frozen. You are right thou..think i saw them in the fridge in Dunnes last week along with the sausages.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Hallaz

Seamai wrote: »
    I can remember when salad cream was the only show in town and along came mayonnaise and knocked it off it's perch, still prefer salad cream, has more of a kick to it.

Me too! Look up Kewpie Mayonnaise , available in all good asian food shops.
    It's a little bit mayo and a little bit salad cream, best thing for a B.L.T. sambo!

I was privileged to be allowed a look in their freezer where they had stockpiled enough of these to last an entire snowed in winter so presumed frozen. You are right thou..think i saw them in the fridge in Dunnes last week along with the sausages.

My parents bought them with the shopping. Our freezer wasn't big enough to hold any after the crispy pancakes and cheap small pizzas were stuffed in. I have to admit I haven't looked for the burgers. The sausages I've seen and I think Dunnes are the only big chain stocking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Talk of salad cream reminds me of the “salads” we used to get in the summer. A plate of unmixed salad leaves, scallions, hard boiled eggs, rolled up slices of ham or turkey, and homemade chips. :D All with a big dollop of salad cream.

Did anybody’s mother try the aul hiding some mashed turnips in mashed potatoes? She always ruined perfectly good mash by trying that nonsense!

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Talk of salad cream reminds me of the “salads” we used to get in the summer. A plate of unmixed salad leaves, scallions, hard boiled eggs, rolled up slices of ham or turkey, and homemade chips. :D All with a big dollop of salad cream.

Did anybody’s mother try the aul hiding some mashed turnips in mashed potatoes? She always ruined perfectly good mash by trying that nonsense!

Just remembered cold boiled tongue my mum used to serve with her salads. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Just remembered cold boiled tongue my mum used to serve with her salads. :(

So did mine, I'm not sure why people are so squeamish about it, it's a muscle no different to many other cuts of meat, true it's not a thing of beauty with it's outer casing intact but the meat is delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Seamai wrote: »
    So did mine, I'm not sure why people are so squeamish about it, it's a muscle no different to many other cuts of meat, true it's not a thing of beauty with it's outer casing intact but the meat is delicious.

But it's TONNNNGGUUUUE!!!!!!! :D

But it's TONNNNGGUUUUE!!!!!!! :D

Turned my nose up at it as a kid but love it now.
    The little sheep's tongues are lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,123 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Does anyone remember a frozen potato product that was sort of like large hash browns with baked beans inside them?

May have been a specific Northern thing (NI/Donegal) as I mainly remember getting them in Donegal from The Cope branches and they would often have NI stock. Always only had Irn Bru when in Donegal until about 2007/8 when it started to appear in ROI.

Turned my nose up at it as a kid but love it now.
    The little sheep's tongues are lovely.

I have been thinking of revisiting. What do you do with your sheeps’ tongues?

I have been thinking of revisiting. What do you do with your sheeps’ tongues?

I'm afraid I've never cooked them but I remember eating them in a friend's house with pickled chillies.
    I'd say they were just simmered with some aromatics until tender.

Chicken Marland was a big treat for us.
    My dad always did it.
    Breaded chicken breast.
    Pineapple fritters.
    Banana fritters.
    Corn on the cob.
    Grilled tomato.
    Homemade chips.

There must have been some amount of oil in all that breaded, fried food!

In fact I remember posting here on the delight at seeing my dad at about 88 making chicken Kiev from scratch for himself and my mum. One of the last meals he was able to prepare.

Ciara Kelly is covering nostalgic food on Newstalk!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

Last week I had a yearning for pot roast that my mum used to make in a pressure cooker in the 1970's.

So I used my own pressure cooker and followed her instructions as I remembered them. (if you want the recipe just ask)
    I made the gravy from the liquid in the pot and it brought back all the memories.

One thing I noticed about back then was that there was little or no food waste and mealtimes were regular (little or no snacking between meals)

Some things stick with you and to this day there is no food waste in our house. Scraps to out to the cat or the birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Recliner wrote: »

After Grandeod related eating them I opened a tin... rarely will I throw food away, very very rarely but even the cats would not eat them. I did try.... really tried....then dumped them.. Read a review later and they compared the texture to marshmallow.... worst thing is I have two more tins in the cupboard..

Oh LOVE Angel delight!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hey,up in Scotland that is called "clapshot" and is served with haggis as the national dish.. I love it.. great with good gravy....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

29cd8bdbaa589e162da8fc4d2048c472.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

^ That's actually revolting :eek:

Advertisement