Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Sorbet

https://m.gofund.me/the-irish-kidney-association

That is the link above for my donation page! No pressure at all for anyone to sponsor me. Thanks a mill :)

Fair dues to you - thanks for sharing. Will get onto that in the morning.

Loving the log.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Week 7 - Tues 6th August Easy miles

Mile 1- 9.47
    Mile 2 - 10.14
    Mile 3 - 10.07
    Mile 4 - 10.09
    Mile 5 - 10.09

Was quite warm starting out so 1st mile felt a bit tough but once i got going it was a nice run.

Weds 7th of August 1m w/u 5 pmp 1m c/d

Mile 1- 9.43
    Mile 2 - 8.32
    Mile 3 - 8.49
    Mile 4 - 8.53
    Mile 5 - 8.47
    Mile 6 - 9.14
    Mile 7 - 9.37

Mile 1 was my warm up mile which was fine.
    Mile 2 - 5 were at my pmp but found it hard to get it 9mins on the button. This pace felt very comfortable even though it was extremely hot out!
    Mile 6 - i confused myself at this stage i thought this was my cool down & then realised about half way that it was still infact pmp!! So i took off again & finished it at pmp! This included going around in circles :D
    Mile 7 - Finished off with my proper cool down ;)

Thurs 8th of August Easy miles

Mile 1- 9.18
    Mile 2 - 9.54
    Mile 3 - 10.27
    Mile 4 - 10.19
    Mile 5 - 9.49

Set out later than usual which meant i was dreading it but once out it was good!
    Mile 1 - I really need to try slow it a bit more!!
    Mile 2 - 5 went at an easy comfortable pace.

Overall this week my body & legs are well able but i have found mentally it has been one of my toughest weeks so far! Looking forward to my rest day & hopefully recharge for my long run Saturday :)

Week 7 14mile LSR

Mile 1- 9.39
    Mile 2 - 10.07
    Mile 3 - 10.01
    Mile 4 - 9.57
    Mile 5 - 10.50
    Mile 6 - 9.37
    Mile 7 - 10.10
    Mile 8 - 9.59
    Mile 9 - 9.52
    Mile 10 - 10.00
    Mile 11 - 10.08
    Mile 12 - 10.19
    Mile 13 - 10.17
    Mile 14 - 8.45

Got up & had my breakfast of porridge & started getting myself sorted for the task ahead! Decided to take a gel with me & a few jelly babies for a change. Put my sunglasses on & off i went! Now considering i was heading into thick black angry clouds i'm sure the sunglasses looked pretty odd but after bringing almost a whole family of flies home last week(either stuck to my face & chest & 2 in my eye!!) I decided to wear the glasses to at least avoid the ones in my eyes :)
    The 1st 2 miles were tough enough into a strong enough wind but once i kicked on i felt comfortable! Just before mile 4 the inevitable happened, yes it started to rain, oh f#%k my hair was my 1st thought but i swiftly told myself to cop on that it was only a bit of rain & i wasn't a disprin - i wouldn't dissolve:D
    It actually only rained for a few mins then stopped so i was happy with this. All going well so just before mile 7 i decided to take my gel but stupidly i didn't realise the bag for the jelly babies was open & to my utter horror most of them fell out into a puddle :o It was honestly like a scene from Titanic, all thses jelly babies just floating around!! I checked the bag to see i had 2 remaining survivors, shall we call them Jack & Rose, so anyway i tucked them bag in my belt & off i went!
    Once i hit the Penny Hill in Lucan i turned around as i had just passed the 7 mile mark so i was now on the journey home! Even though this is the exact same miles mentally it just feels good running towards my house!! Just before i hit mile 11 i knew i was coming to the dreaded drag so i ate jack & rose & continued on! As i climbed the drag Tiny Dancer was playing on my headphones but all i could think was how to get my Tiny Legs over this drag!! I did it & passed by another runner who kinda gave me that reassuring/feel your pain nod which was appreciated:)
    The last 2 miles were ok, wind had picked up but managed to avoid any real heavy showers!!

Defo glad to have it done, now to get some more painting done :O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Well done! I know exactly what you mean about the turn towards home - it just feels great! Sometimes I turn half a mile early and think to myself "to hell with it, i'll deal with the excess mileage at the end"

The crazy lives of long distance runners, eh? :pac:

Hope the hair is doing okay ;)

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Well done! I know exactly what you mean about the turn towards home - it just feels great! Sometimes I turn half a mile early and think to myself "to hell with it, i'll deal with the excess mileage at the end"

The crazy lives of long distance runners, eh? :pac:

Hope the hair is doing okay ;)

Oh my god i do that too then have find the milage near my house :D
    Honestly if people actually knew what goes on in this crazy little mind of mine I'm sure i'd be signed in somewhere;) If its like this now can you imagine the utter craziness on a solo 20mile run :O

Haha the hair survived thanks just the odd curl here & there from the rain :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Jack and Rose :D

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Jack and Rose :D

Yeah i can be a bit strange alone with my thoughts for 14 miles haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Ha ha - the poor jelly babies me made me laugh and then you ate poor Jack and Rose :D

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Surprised Rose didn't throw Jack in in order to ensure her survival - we all know there was room on that float for two!

eabha19 wrote: »
    Surprised Rose didn't throw Jack in in order to ensure her survival - we all know there was room on that float for two!

Just so you know i ate Rose 1st ;) Damn sure there was room on that float for two :D

• Advertisement

Sun 11th August - 3M recovery

Mile 1 - 10.07
    Mile 2 - 10.30
    Mile 3 - 10.37

Nice easy paced run

Week 8 Tues 13th - 5m Easy

Mile 1 - 9.13
    Mile 2 - 9.56
    Mile 3 - 9.59
    Mile 4 - 10.04
    Mile 5 - 9.49

Went out a little too fast but managed to pull it back. Could have been a touch slower but still felt like a nice easy pace!

Weds 14th - wu/pmp/cd

Mile 1 - 9.31
    Mile 2 - 9.07
    Mile 3 - 8.30
    Mile 4 - 8.26
    Mile 5 - 8.51
    Mile 6 - 8.54
    Mile 7 - 8.45
    Mile 8 - 9.36
    Mile 9 - 9.40

Did 1 & a half mile w/u then went into my pmp, again i found it hard to stick to the exact pace! My watch was beeping telling me i was on pace then literally at the last second it would say ahead of pace! I felt good after this run as i felt a bit more prepared mentally to race the 10mile next week :)

Thurs 15th - 5m easy

Mile 1 - 10.00
    Mile 2 - 10.08
    Mile 3 - 9.53
    Mile 4 - 10.12
    Mile 5 - 10.12

Nice easy paced run.

Fri 16th - 3m recovery

Mile 1 - 10.37
    Mile 2 - 10.42
    Mile 3 - 10.10

I hardly slept a wink thurs night so was unsure if i should just rest but at the same time really felt like i needed to get out! Off i went on my lunch break. Oh my god this actually felt like the longest run ever & worst one. My legs were so tired :eek:
    I finished it but was really wondering how the hell i was gonna do my long run!!

Sat 17th - 16m LSR

Mile 1- 10.14
    Mile 2 - 10.17
    Mile 3 - 10.25
    Mile 4 - 10.23
    Mile 5 - 10.16
    Mile 6 - 10.11
    Mile 7 - 10.08
    Mile 8 - 10.01
    Mile 9 - 10.07
    Mile 10 - 10.18
    Mile 11 - 10.09
    Mile 12 - 9.36
    Mile 13 - 10.22
    Mile 14 - 10.06
    Mile 15 - 8.35
    Mile 16 - 8.05

Wanted to head out early but as usual i got side tracked so after my porridge i headed out at 8am. It was a nice morning but very windy. The 1st couple of miles felt tough especially going against the wind but once i settled down i felt comfortable. I passed by a lot more runners this morning than i usually do, most of them returning my smile & encouraging nod but some not bothering! I decided to take a slightly different route as i had to add 2 extra miles in so i ran through Corcaigh park back out onto the main road where i continued my usual route. I felt good most of the time, didn't have any of the tiredness i had experienced the day before thank god. I had 2 gels with me & took the 1st one at about mile 8. I ran to just over 9miles in Lucan because i knew the straight run back was 7miles. It felt even better knowing i was heading back home with less miles to do whilst bopping along to a few beatles classics :D
    I was just at mile 13 when i was faced with the dreaded drag, i knew it was simply mind over matter, then ain't no mountain high enough came on & well that was more than enough motivation to see me over it & beyond :)
    Miles 14 & 15 i ran at pmp as i felt so strong. I was genuinely amazed at the feeling of having paced so well & consistently to have enough in the tank to quicken up without actually killing myself. I got a great buzz from todays long run & feel like the training is working for me & I'm learning as i go along :)

Now thankfully it's the final coat of paint going on my doors!! It honestly feels like all I've been doing is running & painting haha!

Great weeks training Laineyflecks and that was a brilliant long run - well done!

Great weeks training Laineyflecks and that was a brilliant long run - well done!

Thanks a mill, really enjoyed it :)

Sun 18th August - 2M recovery

Mile 1 - 09.46
    Mile 2 - 10.50

Nice easy paced run in the lashing rain - very wet but enjoyable :)

Week 9 Tues 20th - 5m Easy with 5 x strides

Mile 1 - 9.59
    Mile 2 - 10.09
    Mile 3 - 10.21
    Mile 4 - 10.21
    Mile 5 - 9.23

A very warm humid day but took it nice & handy. Did my 5 strides in Tallaght IT near the end of my run, actually really enjoyed these.

Weds 21st - 6M easy

Mile 1 - 9.50
    Mile 2 - 10.03
    Mile 3 - 9.59
    Mile 4 - 10.34
    Mile 5 - 10.16
    Mile 6 - 10.36

Meetings ran over in work which prevented me from doing this in work. The weather was awful when i got home but i knew i had to get it done! I'd had a tough day in work & people at me the min i got home (such is life) really found it hard motivating myself for this one!
    The 1st 3 miles were so tough i felt extremely sorry for myself & wondered why the hell i was doing this! I questioned how i would be able to race the FD 10 mile on Sat. I really hit a mental block & just couldn't get out of it!! This was very new to me & very hard to swallow after all the hard work ive been putting in!
    Miles 4 to 6 i kinda pulled myself back, passed by a couple of runners who smiled & it was really needed at this stage :)
    I finished the run with a lot of doubts & uncertainty so decided it was best not to run the next day!!

Fri 23 - 3M easy with strides

Mile 1 - 10.15
    Mile 2 - 10.31
    Mile 3 - 10.04

Headed out not really sure how to gauge this run so tried not to overthink it! It went well felt comfortable & a lot more positive than Weds!! Threw in a few strides & really enjoyed :)

Sat 24th FD 10 mile race

Mile 1 - watch didn't pick this up!
    Mile 2 - 7.36
    Mile 3 - 8.15
    Mile 4 - 8.16
    Mile 5 - 8.15
    Mile 6 - 8.25
    Mile 7 - 8.10
    Mile 8 - 7.46
    Mile 9 - 7.43
    Mile 10 - 8.06

Frank Duffy 10mile:D

Got to the Phoenix park nice & early & the sun was shining! In my head i was hoping a few clouds would head over & cover it for the race! There were lots of people around doung different things - i always love the buzz of the park!!

I put my bag in & headed off to do a little warm up, once done i joined the queue for the toilets. I was actually quite surprised at how relaxed i felt given my nerves & doubts during the week.

I jumped into the line for the race with only a few seconds to go till the start (queue took ages for toilets) i put my headphones in & turned my music on eagerly waiting to start. And we were off!! Didn't take me long to go through the start but my stupid watch glitched & wouldn't pick up the GPS signal!! F@#king marvellous is my exact thought here!! I decided to not get too bothered by it so just ran at a relatively comfortable pace. 1st mile was a lot of weaving in & out of people so felt slow. As i came up to the mile 1 sign i pressed my watch & it started!
    Miles 2 & 3 were good, i was constantly passing people but not too fast which felt good! We got some water here i drank a bit(i also had my own water with me) but i mainly poured it over myself as it was so hot!
    Mile 4 approached & i looked at my watch & for a sit second i though ffs this is the longest 3 miles ever but then i remembered my watch was a mile behind so that perked me up :)
    Mile 4 & 5 were also good again i steadily overtook people, i actually felt quite strong at this stage.
    Miles 6, 7 & 8 in my head i was telling myself to be conservative because everyone talked about the dreaded Mile 9 so i wanted to make sure i had enough in me but i also felt that while i was still feeling strong why not pick the pace up until i get to the hard part then re- evaluate it??? So thats what i went with,i still felt good & looked for shade anywhere i could find it haha It was great to get a cheer & a friendly smile from Skyblue46 here, it really lifted my morale!
    Mile 9 I really did not know what to expect here but thank god i had built the worst up in my head because in reality i didn't actually find it that bad! All i kept thinking was "you've put the training in, you can do this, you are not giving up just because its a bit harder than before! Cmon girl your not a quiter" I felt i mentally talked my way thru this mile & sure thays what its all about
    FINALLY Mile 10 oh baby how happy i was to see i was almost done, roughly another 8 mins running!!! Again i still felt i had something in the tank so started passing people nothing too fast, Once i caught sight of the clock i knew it was now or never!! I had a time in my head & although i was slightly over it i knew i had to push myself so the last stretch was an all out sprint passing lots of people! This felt amazing :D
    I even got a few pat on the back & well done on that finish from other runners which felt amazing:D

My chip time was 1:22:09 - very proud of that! My 1st ever 10 mile race & it was amazing!!

Sun 25 - Recovery run

Mile 1 - 10.31
    Mile 2 - 11.09
    Mile 3 - 11.12

Really nice slow recovery run to loosen the lgs out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭passinginterest

A tip I remember from years ago with the watch is always connect to the sattelites as soon as you get to the race location. It can take a good while the fist time to connect, I find it especially bad if it's an overcast day or in a built up area. Once it connects once it tends to be much quicker when it's race time. Seems to work from my experience.

Great racing too. You ran the race I had planned to attempt!

Well done Laineyfrecks, you are doing brilliantly. I wish I had your guts when racing! We are half way there now!!

A tip I remember from years ago with the watch is always connect to the sattelites as soon as you get to the race location. It can take a good while the fist time to connect, I find it especially bad if it's an overcast day or in a built up area. Once it connects once it tends to be much quicker when it's race time. Seems to work from my experience.

Great racing too. You ran the race I had planned to attempt!

Thanks a mill! Will defo remember that for next time ;)

Well done Laineyfrecks, you are doing brilliantly. I wish I had your guts when racing! We are half way there now!!

You are also doing brilliantly :D
    I think we all have that inner fight in races its what gets us through to the finish line when we feel like giving up!! Yep halfway there, can't believe how quickly it has gone by :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

You are also doing brilliantly :D
    I think we all have that inner fight in races its what gets us through to the finish line when we feel like giving up!! Yep halfway there and another tune up race in the bag, can't believe how quickly it has gone by :eek:

FYP. Congrats! 10 mile races are tough, to get a time like that in your first took some doing.

FYP. Congrats! 10 mile races are tough, to get a time like that in your first took some doing.

Cheers really chuffed with it! Now to put the head down & work towards my 1st ever half marathon! If anyone had told me the end of last year i'd have ran these distances in races & my lsr's i would have laughed!! 19miles this weekend at this point just feels like another few miles added on to what i'm capable of!(lets hope im saying that after it ha!) It will all be worth it for the big day :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Great race report. Delighted you had a great FD race. Your training is paying dividends. Well done.

gypsylee wrote: »
    Great race report. Delighted you had a great FD race. Your training is paying dividends. Well done.

Thanks a mill, days like Sat make it all worthwhile :D

Week 10 Mon 26th - 3m Recovery

Mile 1 - 10.25
    Mile 2 - 10.48
    Mile 3 - 10.21

Nice easy run to loosen the legs

Tues 27th - 5m easy
    Mile 1 - 10.03
    Mile 2 - 9.47
    Mile 3 - 9.52
    Mile 4 - 10.30
    Mile 5 - 10.06

Again another nice easy run nothing much to report.

Weds 28th W/u pmp c/d

Mile 1 - 9.11
    Mile 2 - 8.31
    Mile 3 - 8.16
    Mile 4 - 8.14
    Mile 5 - 8.27
    Mile 6 - 8.28
    Mile 7 - 8.42
    Mile 8 - 8.53
    Mile 9 - 9.21

Again i found it hard enough to stick to 9min paces, the paces i ran felt very manageable & comfortable! Enjoyed this run, was afraid the race plus the weeks milage would make this harder but thankfully not!

Thurs 29th - 5m easy

Mile 1 - 9.51
    Mile 2 - 10.13
    Mile 3 - 10.11
    Mile 4 - 10.15
    Mile 5 - 10.01

Nice easy paced run, only problem with this run was i had to do it before work :eek:
    2 things i took from this run is that i don't like getting up earlier than necessary and i am 100% not a morning person :)

Fri 30th - Rest & work night out :D

Sat 31st - 4m easy

Mile 1 - 9.45
    Mile 2 - 10.21
    Mile 3 - 10.35
    Mile 4 - 10.27

Did this run just to keep the legs loose as i knew i couldn't even attempt my LSR after a night of drinking. Felt a bit sluggish but sure only myself to blame there ;)

Sun 1st Sept - 19m lsr with a few pmp miles

Mile 1- 9.49
    Mile 2 - 10.01
    Mile 3 - 9.44
    Mile 4 - 9.43
    Mile 5 - 9.45
    Mile 6 - 9.39
    Mile 7 - 9.08
    Mile 8 - 9.47
    Mile 9 - 9.44
    Mile 10 - 9.26
    Mile 11 - 9.28
    Mile 12 - 9.29
    Mile 13 - 8.28
    Mile 14 - 8.24
    Mile 15 - 8.41
    Mile 16 - 9.06
    Mile 17 - 10.19
    Mile 18 - 9.57
    Mile 19 - 9.50

Got up early & had my usual brekkie of porridge & a banana. Decided to bring 3 gels with me & my beaker of water. Headed out at a nice easy pace & felt good. Was dreading this run as i had seen everyone else had it done on strava so my mind was telling me i should have already had it done!! After a couple of miles i pushed that thought out of my head & it was really good. I got deep into my thoughts & music so this lead me to miss a lot of the beeps on my watch for my paces each mile! It was a really comfortable run so that also may have been a reason for me not checking so much!
    Miles 7 onwards i took a gel here & decided id probably actually only need to use 2 of them. I made up the route as i went along so was nice seeing different areas! I couldn't run through Citywest like i usually do because there had been reports of 2 big dogs loose that bit a man & killed a little dog so until i know they are gone i wont be risking it! So not like me at all my mind went into overdrive imagining the dogs chasing me & me running for my life but then wondering how i was going to explain the erratic running to Mr Guppa :eek: I don't know which i would have been more afraid of the dogs or mr Guppa ;) Anyways thankfully this scenario only happened in my head & like i said before i can only imagine the thoughts in my head for 26 miles haha
    I ran down by the canal to add extra miles on & it was really enjoyable, at this stage i was doing my pmp miles which i really enjoyed because it proved to me thst i had gone slow enough to be able to run the faster miles then slow back down! I passed a lot more runners today than i usually do on a Sat which was nice as most of them said morning or smiled but some still need to learn to be nice, costs nothing!!

Overall i was really happy with this run & felt i could have kept going! Absolutely thrilled to have my longest run to date done with only 8 weeks to go till D day :eek: Bring it on i say :D

On a final note looks like i'll be running my half marathon the day Dublin replay!! COYBIB :D

Well done Lainey, you are doing great!

I also heard about the dogs on the loose. Good call not taking that route. It's very sad as by the sounds of things they have been roaming quite a while now and while they will obviously have to be put down when they are found, it breaks my heart because most situations like these can be avoided if the dogs had a responsible owner to begin with.

Only 8 more weeks. Have you started thinking about what you might do post-DCM yet, or am I the only one getting ahead of myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I couldn't run through Citywest like i usually do because there had been reports of 2 big dogs loose that bit a man & killed a little dog so until i know they are gone i wont be risking it! So not like me at all my mind went into overdrive imagining the dogs chasing me & me running for my life but then wondering how i was going to explain the erratic running to Mr Guppa :eek: I don't know which i would have been more afraid of the dogs or mr Guppa ;)

:(

Well that's me firmly in the Ciarraí camp for the replay.

;)

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    :(

Well that's me firmly in the Ciarraí camp for the replay.

;)

No surprise there ha ha anyone but Dublin ;)

Only joking about the dogs bet you're a softie really :D

Well done Lainey, you are doing great!

I also heard about the dogs on the loose. Good call not taking that route. It's very sad as by the sounds of things they have been roaming quite a while now and while they will obviously have to be put down when they are found, it breaks my heart because most situations like these can be avoided if the dogs had a responsible owner to begin with.

Only 8 more weeks. Have you started thinking about what you might do post-DCM yet, or am I the only one getting ahead of myself?

I know its really sad the poor dogs should be cared for properly:(

No i haven't really thought about it but know i will defo dive into something else because even tho its a lot of training ive loved the discipline & learning & reaching all the new goals :D

What are your thoughts?

Well done - the 19 miles was a big milestone this week and we got there - well done us!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

No surprise there ha ha anyone but Dublin ;)

Only joking about the dogs bet you're a softie really :D

Yep - the culchies have to stick together!
    I know its really sad the poor dogs should be cared for properly:(

No i haven't really thought about it but know i will defo dive into something else because even tho its a lot of training ive loved the discipline & learning & reaching all the new goals :D

What are your thoughts?

Come late November a grads thread will pop up for you guys who are interested in progressing your running after DCM. There are plans included for all distances and I've found them great as a next step after my first marathon. But, that's all for down the road.

• Advertisement

Well done - the 19 miles was a big milestone this week and we got there - well done us!

Yep it really was, brilliant to see everyone so happy & positive with one of the longest runs to date :D

#wecanwewill ;)

Advertisement