Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

skyblue46 wrote: »
    This is one reason I think I might love you....but I'm a cranky auld bollix too!!

And ye call me emotional:eek: Love?????

I think you should be able to go *well* under the 4hours, laineyfrecks. But of course talk to the people who know your training best and come up with a plan.

Thanks a mill :D
    Yes i have a marathon plan deciding meeting on Tuesday:eek:

Bluesquare wrote: »
    You’ve loved the training and have enjoyed and excelled in each race you have complete . No reason why you can’t enjoy and excel in DCM . I’m a tiny bit envious of your sheer delight with this running lark - and of course your speedy legs !!

Have a great race !

Yes here's hoping my day goes as planned:) but if not there's always next time ;)

Yeah i do love it...keeps me sane(well kinda) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

And ye call me emotional:eek: Love?????

I kinda wondered about that alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Itziger wrote: »
    I kinda wondered about that alright :)

It's the Dutch air!!

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    It's the Dutch air!!

Hmmm or the cakes;)

Hmmm or the cakes;)

Maybe tomorrow! Today is air and IPA!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

My confidence has really come on & it feels amazing but by no means is it cockiness!! I have a plan and i hope it goes my way but just as the distance is unknown territory to me so is my plan! I have always been into sports or just keeping fit & i'd say i literally tried my hand at most sports but i had to try really really hard to be any good! I joined a women's soccer team in my late 20's and i think they tried me in every position, eventually keeping me in defence. In fairness i was good there but even with my speed i couldn't score in an empty goal:eek: my aim was shocking!! Point is i really had to work hard to even get a game each week, absolutely nothing wrong with that in fact you learn so much but with running its unreal...i just feel like i am naturally good at this, even before i knew what paces & race plans were i was getting told my pbs were really good for someone starting out :eek: this filled me with confidence & infact gave me the push to enter my very 1st marathon which i will be completing in almost 1 weeks time :eek:

Maybe just maybe i will have my dream day next Sunday:D
    Best of luck on Sunday. I've enjoyed following your training log. You have dreamt big, you've trained hard - now you are going to achieve your goal. I hope you have a good , no, a great run on the day and that you enjoy it!

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday. I've enjoyed following your training log. You have dreamt big, you've trained hard - now you are going to achieve your goal. I hope you have a good , no, a great run on the day and that you enjoy it!

Thank you so much! I think i have just ruined my non emotional training in reading that...i'm not crying, you are ;)

Can i just add the support & kind comments on here are amazing!! I have never meet any of you but its true what they say, a kind word really goes a long way especially as no one has a clue what goes on in real life behind all the training!

Ok no more emotions :D Promise;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Thank you so much! I think i have just ruined my non emotional training in reading that...i'm not crying, you are ;)

Can i just add the support & kind comments on here are amazing!! I have never meet any of you but its true what they say, a kind word really goes a long way especially as no one has a clue what goes on in real life behind all the training!

Ok no more emotions :D Promise;)

Oh I’d love to be standing there when you cross the finish line - you’ll be a ball of emotions ! :D Bet you get a great big hug from whoever gives you your medal!

• Advertisement

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Oh I’d love to be standing there when you cross the finish line - you’ll be a ball of emotions ! :D Bet you get a great big hug from whoever gives you your medal!

I know:eek: God love the medal giver :D

Sun 20th - 2m recovery run

10.17, 10.18

Nice easy miles

Mon 21st - 20min jog v.easy

This was a really nice easy jog just to loosen up the legs. All felt good.

Tues 22nd - 4m easy

10.21, 10.32, 10.12, 9.55

Headed into the Phoenix park for this which was really nice. Ran a small bit of the course & had a chat about the course and what my plan of action for the day is! Conservative start for sure & hopefully just get a good feel for the pace & listen to my body!
    Going in definitely made me feel a bit more relaxed :)

Wed 23rd - 1m w/u 5min@7.50/8, 5min@8.20, 5min@7.50/8 1m c/d

Very, very windy out there!! Really enjoyed this run & controlling the paces. Runs are so short now i'm home in no time haha!

Almost there now & the more i talk about it the more excited i get. People are constantly saying how contagious my attitude is, when i talk about it i have a big grin on my face because from start to finish this is something i said i wanted to do & I'm doing it :D As much as i am so proud of the money i have raised for the charity, Sunday is about me proving to me that if ye believe enough & work hard enough then maybe ye can achieve your dreams ;)

Thurs 23rd October- 3miles easy

Averaged about 10:10 min miles. I was held up at an app this morning with my son which had a ripple effect on my day which meant it was pitch dark heading out for this. Just put all the high vis gear on & headed out! Stuck to the main road & again enjoyed this short, slow run.
    I felt extremely excited during this run as all day people in work were hugging me & wishing me well for Sunday because a lot of them are off now till after the bank holiday! I have no idea how anything is going to get done today as i have woken up feeling even more excited :D Luckily i don't have to use my brain too much as we are holding a few breast cancer awareness talks & i have organised the whole thing so will be meeting & greeting people which means i can chat, something i kinda like doing ;)
    Seen an article about why Kipchoge smiles all the way through a marathon...well if its good enough for Kipchoge then its good enough for me :D

Oh i genuinely feel like a kid on Christmas eve :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Very best of luck on Sunday, I thought I was enthusiastic till I started reading your log. Great training in the legs, run well!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Very best of luck on Sunday, I thought I was enthusiastic till I started reading your log. Great training in the legs, run well!!

Thanks so much! Maybe a bit much for some but hey different strokes for different folks ;)
    Can't wait to say i'm a marathon runner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

another smiler here :D have a ball on Sunday can not wait to read all about it, or maybe hear all about it in McGrattans :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Have a fab day tomorrow. You’ve got this. Look forward to meeting you in McGrattans.

Thanks a mill Baby75 & Kellygirl:)

I can't believe it's tomorrow:D Haha Baby75 you may regret saying that when i'm burning your ears in McGrattons:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Very well done on your training to date. You've done a great job. Huge congratulations on your fundraising efforts, too. Enjoy the victory lap tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The very best of luck tomorrow E! You've a very obvious natural talent for running, but you've also worked damn hard in this training block. I've no doubt that you'll reap the rewards tomorrow... Run well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Best of luck tomorrow E. You've gotten stronger as the training had gone on and will have a great race tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Best of luck E, no doubt you'll put in a strong performance tomorrow

Should i be in bed asleep...yes but for some reason i can't sleep so will get my race report up!

I think it was safe to say i was pretty excited about running my 1st marathon...think i may have mentioned it once or twice ;)
    I went to bed about 10 conscious that the clocks went back. Woke at 1, 2, 3 & 4 but thankfully it wasn't a problem falling back asleep! Got up at about 6.15 & went to make my porridge & the kids 'hilariously ' had left this bloody scary looking Halloween woman decoration right at the kitchen door which scared the life out of me! Put it in the group whats app & got some very funny replies...mainly god the marathon training has really affected you & even braver was 'is that a mirror:eek:
    Made my porridge & drank some water with a zero tab in it! Got dressed & headed off to meet my work mate at the luas! He was on his 3rd Dublin marathon hoping for a sub 4 this time. Was a relief going in with him as i have been known to get lost so was nice to be with someone who had done it all before. Dropped off our bags went to the loo then headed off to our wave 3. Thankfully there wasn't much waiting around, we wished each other the best of luck & headed off. The excitement was unreal - finally i was running my 1st marathon!

Miles 1 - 7 8.58,8.32,8.57,8.44,8.44,8.39,8.45

Started off fine, slow but steady. It wss very congested for a couple of miles but wasn't too panicky about time as i wanted to e marginally slower for my 1st half. The weather was fab, discarded of my home made arm warmers & gloves fairly lively. I took a water at the 1st station handy enough & put half a zero tab init & just sipped on it, never through it away. Took a gel at 30mins & decided to go with this the whole way around. Going through the park was nice, a fair bit of support so the smiles & high 5's began :D Read somewhere about little things bothering you...in the park a man in front of me was running his marathon with lots of coins bouncing around in his back pocket!! Very very annoying, who the hell brings a load of change running a marathon???? I really really wanted to go behind him, open the zip & watch the coins fall out one by one but i didn't instead i got ahead of him!

Miles 8 - 14 8.31,8.12,8.18,8.37,8.21,8.18,8.36

The buzz & support in Castleknock was amazing!! Who ever thought of getting your name put on your top is pure genius! People called my name & cheered, keep smiling elaine, great pace elaine, amazing charity elaine! It really was a lovely boost & did make me grin from ear to ear! Passed through inchicore & got an almighty cheer from a friend in work which meant the world to me!Had to use the toilet as my bladder felt so heavy, was raging as I'd never had to stop for loo breaks on my training runs but felt so much better when i came out! Continued on through Crumlin & felt good, it actually just seemed to pass so quickly & all of a sudden i was at walkinstown roundabout being called again by friends with their kids who all got high 5's & smiles! Honestly i couldn't believe i was half way there & practically spot on timewise:eek:

Miles 15 - 21 8.25,8.24,8.30,8.15,8.14,8.09,7.55

Again the crowds & support along the whole way were amazing! I ate quite a few jaffa cakes along the way which was a nice alternative to the gels! I took a water at almost every station and added half a zero tab and carried it with me till it was gone, constantly sipping it! Got to Milltown & still felt very comfortable, ran up the hill & some woman commented my god elaine thats some pace coming up that hill, was straight away worried i might pay for that later on! Headed on up to Roebuck road where my hubby said he'd be with my son, frantically scanned each side but couldn't see them.

Miles 22 - finish 8.26, 8.39,7.42,7.59,7.49,3.07

Continued on still frantically searching. My heart was thumping, i felt like crying! My boy has Sensory processing disorder & anxiety issues a long with it so up till a few weeks ago getting him to willingly want to come to a crowded area with lots of noise would have been impossible. He worked so hard on his signs & i knew he'd be heartbroken not to see me. The smiles & high 5's stopped, i couldn't even hear if people were calling my name! I hoped & prayed i would see him but nothing. All of a sudden i felt so deflated! After the Stillorgan road i thought nope you're not gonna see him:( i ran with a heavy heart but knew i had to snap out of it! I had trained hard so had to keep going! Then i thought the quicker i get to my phone the quicker i can speak to him. I seen Skyblue again here & he gave me a few words of encouragement so I started picking up pace & smiling again as the cheers from the crowds also spurred me on! Great pace Elaine keep going, strong running almost there it truly was amazing. I seen the finish but my god it felt like the longest mile ever!!! Finally i got to the blue mat & smiled the biggest smile ever when i seen my time!! Holy s#@t 3:42:47...i had smashed it!!! I'd achieved my dreamtime & more :)

I kept walking towards the medals & burst out crying, all i wanted was my phone! I meet passinginterest here & i was so happy to see a friendly face!! We chatted while i composed myself & congratulated eachother before heading off:)

I got to my phone & rang my hubby they were all in the car! I lied & told my son i seen him because he cried when he didn't see me! I got them to send me pics of the posters & i described them to him so he was thrilled & i could hear the excitement in his voice:D My smile was the biggest it had been all day & when i put the phone down it hit me properly...holy s@#t i just ran a marathon!!! My marathon training song was one moment in time & i truly felt this was MY moment in time :)

I headed off then to meet my daughter her boyfriend & some other friends including Sandra for whom i was running for her choosen charity...well i presume yis can all guess what happened next...yep i cried again!

Once they left i headed off with my Google maps to find McGrattons. Was so nice to finally meet so many people. Treviso can i just say i absolutely love Fiona & tell her i told Scott about the superpowers & he loves the idea!

For my very 1st marathon physically & mentally most of the way I felt great! I am so grateful to have had such an amazing experience as i know how easily things can go wrong!

I would like to thank the mentors & every single person who helped me along the way. I was truly humbled by the messages of support & well wishes from people...all it takes is one kind gesture :)

DCM 2019 you were amazing!! Will i be back for more...hell yeah ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Delighted for you that it all went so well. You deserved it after such a fine training block. Chill for a bit now and enjoy. Then back at it.

Sub 3.30 in 2020.

Itziger wrote: »
    Delighted for you that it all went so well. You deserved it after such a fine training block. Chill for a bit now and enjoy. Then back at it.

Sub 3.30 in 2020.

Thank you!

Yep thats the plan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Brilliant! Congrats.

You couldn't have done it better. Great running and brilliant attitude to it all. Really well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Amazing running Lainey. Delighted I got to meet you even though I was like the walking dead by that stage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Superb race, you were totally in control! Well done :) was great to meet you!

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Brilliant! Congrats.

Thank you:)

Advertisement