Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

• 30-07-2019 9:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Better late than never i suppose ;)

Decided to start my own running log to help me on my journey to my very 1st marathon!

I am a mammy to 4 children & recently a beautiful grandson :D plus i work full time ,so kinda always busy haha
    I have always been quite a fit person. Have tried many sports including football & Kickboxing but decided my true love is indeed running! I have ran on & off more or less for years but only short distances & never racing. I decided last year that i was going to concentrate on my running & maybe push myself to achieve certain goals after a milestone birthday (currently making me 40 and 14 months:D ) So Jan 2019 was the beginning of my Journey, i started entering races & getting some nice medals & PB's too :) Then i decided i needed a proper challenge to test me so what better than the DCM!! I was gutted to learn it was sold out but then i was extremely lucky to get a spot!

My PB's to date are
    5k - 21.29 - Tallaght Athletics 5k race
    10k - 47.07 - South Dublin 10k a couple of weeks ago

I joined the Novice DCM thread on here & decided(with the guidance of the mentors)to follow the boards plan, which has been invaluable to me...quote" if you think you're going slow enough go slower"..unquote :D This was the toughest piece of advice for me & took a while to actually sink in & understand it! Some days are easier than others but i think i have slowed down a good bit. With the help of my mentors my paces for now based on my current fitness are

PMP 9m/m
    Easy/Lsr 10 - 10.20
    Recovery 10.30ish

DCM wk 5 -Todays easy run went really well, was gonna leave it till after work but after seeing that rain glad i didn't!! Started off at a nice comfortable pace & ran roughly at 10.02 m/m for 6 miles. Did a few stretches after as i find i have been neglecting these recently, being honest i have never been the best at stretching so need to get on top of that too!

Any advice will be gladly taken on board, i may not always agree with it but i will listen ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Welcome to the logs. All the best with your DCM training. I think you're going to nail it!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Great to see that you've started a training log, I will follow with interest.

Your DCM training so far has been very diligent with most runs at the right pace. Best of luck with the log

• Registered Users Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck with the log! Nice job with the training to date :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck with the log and the training. It’s amazing being part of the novices group and makes DCM really special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Welcome to the logs. All the best with your DCM training. I think you're going to nail it!

Thats the dream ;)

All i can say is that i feel fully committed & focused & once i take on board all the good advice i don't see why its not achievable!!

• Advertisement

Treviso wrote: »
    Great to see that you've started a training log, I will follow with interest.

Your DCM training so far has been very diligent with most runs at the right pace. Best of luck with the log

Thanks a mill, i have started following your log too so best of luck with that & of course the marathon:)

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Best of luck with the log! Nice job with the training to date :)

Thanks a mill & thanks for all the advice so far, i'm sure i still have lots & lots to learn but as i say i am fully committed to doing this marathon to the best of my ability so any advice will be taken on board :D

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Best of luck with the log and the training. It’s amazing being part of the novices group and makes DCM really special.

Thanks a mill & best of luck to you too!! Yes as i train alone 99% of the time its brilliant to have this group to chat to & get advice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Welcome! Looking forward to the logs and the emojis :) You seem to be really enjoying the journey so far!

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Welcome! Looking forward to the logs and the emojis :) You seem to be really enjoying the journey so far!

Sure you've gotta love an aul emoji or 2 ;)

I've never ever had a structured plan & was a bit hesitant but yes so far i am enjoying the structure & knowing what my goals for each week are! In saying that with life being life some days just don't go to plan exactly but i always push myself & make it happen & usually i feel sooooo much better after :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

You have fantastic PBs for an on/off runner, you're going to be an exciting one to watch!

Best of luck with the log and DCM, you're in the best of hands with the team of mentors this year.
    Sure you've gotta love an aul emoji or 2 ;)

I've never ever had a structured plan & was a bit hesitant but yes so far i am enjoying the structure & knowing what my goals for each week are! In saying that with life being life some days just don't go to plan exactly but i always push myself & make it happen & usually i feel sooooo much better after :D

Great attitude :)

ariana` wrote: »
    You have fantastic PBs for an on/off runner, you're going to be an exciting one to watch!

Best of luck with the log and DCM, you're in the best of hands with the team of mentors this year.

Great attitude :)

Thanks a mill, completing my very 1st marathon is a dream for me :D I honestly believed only "real runners" complete them but here i am haha!

Yes the advice & experience will be invaluable over the coming months :)

Wednesday - 1m w/u 5m pmp 1m c/d

Mile 1 - 9.38
    Mile 2 - 8.30
    Mile 3 - 9.27
    Mile 4 - 8.56
    Mile 5 - 9.02
    Mile 6 - 8.55
    Mile 7 - 9.43

Started off with my 1m w/u which could be a bit slower then i seemed to struggle a bit trying to get a consistent time for the next 2 miles! One was too fast & the other too slow which did frustrate me!! I was trying to calculate the time on watch so i could try to even out the rest(my Garmin watch is pretty basic) I continued on at a steadier pace & was happy enough with it once i settled down. I think i have the instinct now to run my slow runs without too much looking at my watch but need to focus when doing my pmp:)

Note to myself only to wear running vests in this weather!! I had a running tshirt on & my god i felt clamy & horrible straight away:(

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Your Garmin (even the basic models) should have a setting to display the average pace for the mile/lap - so you know what minute mile pace you're doing.

I remember getting my first garmin and it was set to Pace by default - not sure why that is the case. Change it to Lap Pace instead.

Time to get out the manual!

Treviso wrote: »
    Your Garmin (even the basic models) should have a setting to display the average pace for the mile/lap - so you know what minute mile pace you're doing.

I remember getting my first garmin and it was set to Pace by default - not sure why that is the case. Change it to Lap Pace instead.

Time to get out the manual!

Cheers will root it out :)

Thursday 1/08 - 3m recovery run

Mile 1 - 10.46
    Mile 2 - 10.15
    Mile 3 - 10.00

Started out really well - concious to keep the pace quite slow. Was happy when i seen the time! It did feel extremely slow but as it was so hot i actually enjoyed it. Mile 2 also felt really comfortable but did realise i had picked the pace up slowly. Mile 3 i ended up chatting to a retired member of staff who still comes in & does his lunch runs & he even slowed down his pace to run with me :O but i did feel him pick up the pace slowly & i really didn't want to say it to him so i kept with him then he went off his way!
    He gave me lots of encouragement which was lovely as he has ran quite a few Marathons himself !
    All in all it was actually a really nice recovery run despite it being so hot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Good luck with the Journey to DCM19 you are in great hands with the mentors :D and probably make life long friends as well

looking forward to following you along the way :)

Baby75 wrote: »
    Good luck with the Journey to DCM19 you are in great hands with the mentors :D and probably make life long friends as well

looking forward to following you along the way :)

Thanks a mill, enjoying the journey so far :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Welcome to the wonderful world of logging . You have great pbs - looking forward to reading about your marathon training and first marathon !

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Welcome to the wonderful world of logging . You have great pbs - looking forward to reading about your marathon training and first marathon !

Thank you :) It's mad to think i didn't have a PB till i started racing in Jan, they are very addictive:O

• Advertisement

Friday 2/08 - 3m recovery run(optional on plan)

Mile 1 - 9.31
    Mile 2 - 11.15
    Mile 3 - 10.19

Ok so mile 1 was too fast, it seems to take me a mile or 2 to settle but it will be worked on! Mile 2 i consciously slowed down which really felt slow but with the extremely hot sun beating down it was very enjoyable. Mile 3 was a really nice pace & as i came up through thhe college on the home stretch "All you need is Love" blasted from my headphones which made me smile, i'm sure anyone that passes me thinks i'm nuts, either singing along to the songs or just smiling :D

Anyways i decided to run today as i think its important to get that extra little run in if i feel the week has gone well! I will defo keep 1 full rest day & maybe some weeks i will still need the 2 but for now i shall try to build the milage ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Good luck on your marathon journey. Looking forward to reading about your progress. DCM 19 will be a great event for you. :)

gypsylee wrote: »
    Good luck on your marathon journey. Looking forward to reading about your progress. DCM 19 will be a great event for you. :)

Thank you :) Really looking forward to the journey myself!

Saturday 3rd Aug - 16mile LSR

Mile 1- 10.04
    Mile 2 - 10.09
    Mile 3 - 10.00
    Mile 4 - 9.58
    Mile 5 - 10.16
    Mile 6 - 9.58
    Mile 7 - 10.26
    Mile 8 - 9.55
    Mile 9 - 10.07
    Mile 10 - 9.54
    Mile 11 - 10.08
    Mile 12 - 9.36
    Mile 13 - 9.55
    Mile 14 - 10.07
    Mile 15 - 10.02
    Mile 16 - 8.45

Had my usual breakfast of porridge followed by a banana & to be honest was dreading the thoughts of going out running for such a long time. I put a zero tab in my water & took 2 gels & off i went!!
    Mile 1 - so far this has been my quick mile & i have really been trying to get it spot on so imagine my delight when my watch read 10.04:D i was delighted & proceded to do a little happy dance then continued on my way! The next few miles seemed to continue on really well, everything felt good so i was happy enough!
    Mile 6 i took my 1st gel, all went fine with that washed it down with water & continued on my way passing a good few runners & giving the little runners salute as we passed each other, although there is one runner who always gives me a thumbs up & it makes me smile!!
    Mile 7 to 9 was good i had to just keep chatting in my head & reminding myself that once i got to Lucan i was turning around & on the home stretch (even tho its the same distance back to my house i always feel more positive knowing i am on route towards my house) :o
    Mile 10 i took my 2nd gel & all felt good up till mile 12! Then i faced the dredded mountain,well it turns out that this section of my run home is actually a drag & not a mountain as i previously thought haha so my legs were tired goi g up this drag but i did my usual giant, kinda stride like steps to get me up whilst singing The greatest by Sia..woo oh oh i got stamina...really wishing i had more at this stage!! Once i got past this i actually settled back in & felt really good for the rest of the run!!

Got home & did some stretches then headed into town for a well deserved meal & some drinks(although i was shattered by 12 haha felt like Cinderella needing to get home!!)

Sunday 4th Aug - 3mile recovery

Mile 1 - 10.35
    Mile 2 - 10.25
    Mile 3 - 10.14

Thankfully no sore head today so the recovery run went well, slowed down as much as possible:D

Looking forward to head into week 6 of my training;)

Week 6 - Mon 5 August 3mile recovery

Mile 1 - 10.10
    Mile 2 - 10.19
    Mile 3 - 10.30

Wasn't going to do this run today as i was just going to rest but after visiting my friend Sandra i felt i needed it to clear the head a bit, nice consistent slow pace too!

So i have decided to raise money for the Irish Kidney Association which is the charity my very good friend Sandra choose. Sandra has an extremely rare illness called Von Hippel Lindav which basically creates cancerous tumors that attack firstly the kidneys then the brain. Sandra lost her mam & 2 sisters to this horrible illness & tonight she informed us that the cancer which had been dormant in her body up till the start of this year has now spread to a lot more organs in her body! She had a kidney removed a couple of months ago & now it looks like the other one is only 50% functioning but with tumours in other organs what happens next is unknown. She wrote a piece for me to share with my fundraising because like me she wants as much money as possible raised!!

Once i got home, although i was tired & emotional, i needed to run! This Marathon means so much to me now more than ever so in crossing that line i want to make her proud!!

Oh wow, so sorry to hear this E. I am sure that the support of great friends such as yourself will be very important to her. Make sure to share the link so we can donate. Well done on getting out for the run even though it must have been hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Well done Laineyfrecks on all your training - you're flying it. Really sorry to hear abut what your friend is going through. I've been wondering about running for charity too as I am telling myself this is my one and only marathon, it seems like maybe I should make it worthwhile.

P.S. I'm the same with trying to run at PMP, it's hard to find that not too slow, not too fast pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. It's very generous of you to commit to raising money for the cause. Please do share the link to your fundraising here when it's available. I'm sure there are many here who would like to donate.

Thanks a mill for the kind comments, was quite an emotional evening & i think i just wanted to explain as its part of my DCM journey! Onwards & upwards focus on the rest of my training :)

• Advertisement

https://m.gofund.me/the-irish-kidney-association

That is the link above for my donation page! No pressure at all for anyone to sponsor me. Thanks a mill :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Sorbet

https://m.gofund.me/the-irish-kidney-association

That is the link above for my donation page! No pressure at all for anyone to sponsor me. Thanks a mill :)

Fair dues to you - thanks for sharing. Will get onto that in the morning.

Loving the log.

Week 7 - Tues 6th August Easy miles

Mile 1- 9.47
    Mile 2 - 10.14
    Mile 3 - 10.07
    Mile 4 - 10.09
    Mile 5 - 10.09

Was quite warm starting out so 1st mile felt a bit tough but once i got going it was a nice run.

Weds 7th of August 1m w/u 5 pmp 1m c/d

Mile 1- 9.43
    Mile 2 - 8.32
    Mile 3 - 8.49
    Mile 4 - 8.53
    Mile 5 - 8.47
    Mile 6 - 9.14
    Mile 7 - 9.37

Mile 1 was my warm up mile which was fine.
    Mile 2 - 5 were at my pmp but found it hard to get it 9mins on the button. This pace felt very comfortable even though it was extremely hot out!
    Mile 6 - i confused myself at this stage i thought this was my cool down & then realised about half way that it was still infact pmp!! So i took off again & finished it at pmp! This included going around in circles :D
    Mile 7 - Finished off with my proper cool down ;)

Thurs 8th of August Easy miles

Mile 1- 9.18
    Mile 2 - 9.54
    Mile 3 - 10.27
    Mile 4 - 10.19
    Mile 5 - 9.49

Set out later than usual which meant i was dreading it but once out it was good!
    Mile 1 - I really need to try slow it a bit more!!
    Mile 2 - 5 went at an easy comfortable pace.

Overall this week my body & legs are well able but i have found mentally it has been one of my toughest weeks so far! Looking forward to my rest day & hopefully recharge for my long run Saturday :)

Week 7 14mile LSR

Mile 1- 9.39
    Mile 2 - 10.07
    Mile 3 - 10.01
    Mile 4 - 9.57
    Mile 5 - 10.50
    Mile 6 - 9.37
    Mile 7 - 10.10
    Mile 8 - 9.59
    Mile 9 - 9.52
    Mile 10 - 10.00
    Mile 11 - 10.08
    Mile 12 - 10.19
    Mile 13 - 10.17
    Mile 14 - 8.45

Got up & had my breakfast of porridge & started getting myself sorted for the task ahead! Decided to take a gel with me & a few jelly babies for a change. Put my sunglasses on & off i went! Now considering i was heading into thick black angry clouds i'm sure the sunglasses looked pretty odd but after bringing almost a whole family of flies home last week(either stuck to my face & chest & 2 in my eye!!) I decided to wear the glasses to at least avoid the ones in my eyes :)
    The 1st 2 miles were tough enough into a strong enough wind but once i kicked on i felt comfortable! Just before mile 4 the inevitable happened, yes it started to rain, oh f#%k my hair was my 1st thought but i swiftly told myself to cop on that it was only a bit of rain & i wasn't a disprin - i wouldn't dissolve:D
    It actually only rained for a few mins then stopped so i was happy with this. All going well so just before mile 7 i decided to take my gel but stupidly i didn't realise the bag for the jelly babies was open & to my utter horror most of them fell out into a puddle :o It was honestly like a scene from Titanic, all thses jelly babies just floating around!! I checked the bag to see i had 2 remaining survivors, shall we call them Jack & Rose, so anyway i tucked them bag in my belt & off i went!
    Once i hit the Penny Hill in Lucan i turned around as i had just passed the 7 mile mark so i was now on the journey home! Even though this is the exact same miles mentally it just feels good running towards my house!! Just before i hit mile 11 i knew i was coming to the dreaded drag so i ate jack & rose & continued on! As i climbed the drag Tiny Dancer was playing on my headphones but all i could think was how to get my Tiny Legs over this drag!! I did it & passed by another runner who kinda gave me that reassuring/feel your pain nod which was appreciated:)
    The last 2 miles were ok, wind had picked up but managed to avoid any real heavy showers!!

Defo glad to have it done, now to get some more painting done :O

Well done! I know exactly what you mean about the turn towards home - it just feels great! Sometimes I turn half a mile early and think to myself "to hell with it, i'll deal with the excess mileage at the end"

The crazy lives of long distance runners, eh? :pac:

Hope the hair is doing okay ;)

Well done! I know exactly what you mean about the turn towards home - it just feels great! Sometimes I turn half a mile early and think to myself "to hell with it, i'll deal with the excess mileage at the end"

The crazy lives of long distance runners, eh? :pac:

Hope the hair is doing okay ;)

Oh my god i do that too then have find the milage near my house :D
    Honestly if people actually knew what goes on in this crazy little mind of mine I'm sure i'd be signed in somewhere;) If its like this now can you imagine the utter craziness on a solo 20mile run :O

Haha the hair survived thanks just the odd curl here & there from the rain :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Jack and Rose :D

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Jack and Rose :D

Yeah i can be a bit strange alone with my thoughts for 14 miles haha :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Ha ha - the poor jelly babies me made me laugh and then you ate poor Jack and Rose :D

Surprised Rose didn't throw Jack in in order to ensure her survival - we all know there was room on that float for two!

eabha19 wrote: »
    Surprised Rose didn't throw Jack in in order to ensure her survival - we all know there was room on that float for two!

Just so you know i ate Rose 1st ;) Damn sure there was room on that float for two :D

• Advertisement

Sun 11th August - 3M recovery

Mile 1 - 10.07
    Mile 2 - 10.30
    Mile 3 - 10.37

Nice easy paced run

Week 8 Tues 13th - 5m Easy

Mile 1 - 9.13
    Mile 2 - 9.56
    Mile 3 - 9.59
    Mile 4 - 10.04
    Mile 5 - 9.49

Went out a little too fast but managed to pull it back. Could have been a touch slower but still felt like a nice easy pace!

Weds 14th - wu/pmp/cd

Mile 1 - 9.31
    Mile 2 - 9.07
    Mile 3 - 8.30
    Mile 4 - 8.26
    Mile 5 - 8.51
    Mile 6 - 8.54
    Mile 7 - 8.45
    Mile 8 - 9.36
    Mile 9 - 9.40

Did 1 & a half mile w/u then went into my pmp, again i found it hard to stick to the exact pace! My watch was beeping telling me i was on pace then literally at the last second it would say ahead of pace! I felt good after this run as i felt a bit more prepared mentally to race the 10mile next week :)

Thurs 15th - 5m easy

Mile 1 - 10.00
    Mile 2 - 10.08
    Mile 3 - 9.53
    Mile 4 - 10.12
    Mile 5 - 10.12

Nice easy paced run.

Fri 16th - 3m recovery

Mile 1 - 10.37
    Mile 2 - 10.42
    Mile 3 - 10.10

I hardly slept a wink thurs night so was unsure if i should just rest but at the same time really felt like i needed to get out! Off i went on my lunch break. Oh my god this actually felt like the longest run ever & worst one. My legs were so tired :eek:
    I finished it but was really wondering how the hell i was gonna do my long run!!

Sat 17th - 16m LSR

Mile 1- 10.14
    Mile 2 - 10.17
    Mile 3 - 10.25
    Mile 4 - 10.23
    Mile 5 - 10.16
    Mile 6 - 10.11
    Mile 7 - 10.08
    Mile 8 - 10.01
    Mile 9 - 10.07
    Mile 10 - 10.18
    Mile 11 - 10.09
    Mile 12 - 9.36
    Mile 13 - 10.22
    Mile 14 - 10.06
    Mile 15 - 8.35
    Mile 16 - 8.05

Wanted to head out early but as usual i got side tracked so after my porridge i headed out at 8am. It was a nice morning but very windy. The 1st couple of miles felt tough especially going against the wind but once i settled down i felt comfortable. I passed by a lot more runners this morning than i usually do, most of them returning my smile & encouraging nod but some not bothering! I decided to take a slightly different route as i had to add 2 extra miles in so i ran through Corcaigh park back out onto the main road where i continued my usual route. I felt good most of the time, didn't have any of the tiredness i had experienced the day before thank god. I had 2 gels with me & took the 1st one at about mile 8. I ran to just over 9miles in Lucan because i knew the straight run back was 7miles. It felt even better knowing i was heading back home with less miles to do whilst bopping along to a few beatles classics :D
    I was just at mile 13 when i was faced with the dreaded drag, i knew it was simply mind over matter, then ain't no mountain high enough came on & well that was more than enough motivation to see me over it & beyond :)
    Miles 14 & 15 i ran at pmp as i felt so strong. I was genuinely amazed at the feeling of having paced so well & consistently to have enough in the tank to quicken up without actually killing myself. I got a great buzz from todays long run & feel like the training is working for me & I'm learning as i go along :)

Now thankfully it's the final coat of paint going on my doors!! It honestly feels like all I've been doing is running & painting haha!

Great weeks training Laineyflecks and that was a brilliant long run - well done!

eabha19 wrote: »
    Great weeks training Laineyflecks and that was a brilliant long run - well done!

Thanks a mill, really enjoyed it :)

Sun 18th August - 2M recovery

Mile 1 - 09.46
    Mile 2 - 10.50

Nice easy paced run in the lashing rain - very wet but enjoyable :)

Week 9 Tues 20th - 5m Easy with 5 x strides

Mile 1 - 9.59
    Mile 2 - 10.09
    Mile 3 - 10.21
    Mile 4 - 10.21
    Mile 5 - 9.23

A very warm humid day but took it nice & handy. Did my 5 strides in Tallaght IT near the end of my run, actually really enjoyed these.

Weds 21st - 6M easy

Mile 1 - 9.50
    Mile 2 - 10.03
    Mile 3 - 9.59
    Mile 4 - 10.34
    Mile 5 - 10.16
    Mile 6 - 10.36

Meetings ran over in work which prevented me from doing this in work. The weather was awful when i got home but i knew i had to get it done! I'd had a tough day in work & people at me the min i got home (such is life) really found it hard motivating myself for this one!
    The 1st 3 miles were so tough i felt extremely sorry for myself & wondered why the hell i was doing this! I questioned how i would be able to race the FD 10 mile on Sat. I really hit a mental block & just couldn't get out of it!! This was very new to me & very hard to swallow after all the hard work ive been putting in!
    Miles 4 to 6 i kinda pulled myself back, passed by a couple of runners who smiled & it was really needed at this stage :)
    I finished the run with a lot of doubts & uncertainty so decided it was best not to run the next day!!

Fri 23 - 3M easy with strides

Mile 1 - 10.15
    Mile 2 - 10.31
    Mile 3 - 10.04

Headed out not really sure how to gauge this run so tried not to overthink it! It went well felt comfortable & a lot more positive than Weds!! Threw in a few strides & really enjoyed :)

Sat 24th FD 10 mile race

Mile 1 - watch didn't pick this up!
    Mile 2 - 7.36
    Mile 3 - 8.15
    Mile 4 - 8.16
    Mile 5 - 8.15
    Mile 6 - 8.25
    Mile 7 - 8.10
    Mile 8 - 7.46
    Mile 9 - 7.43
    Mile 10 - 8.06

Frank Duffy 10mile:D

Got to the Phoenix park nice & early & the sun was shining! In my head i was hoping a few clouds would head over & cover it for the race! There were lots of people around doung different things - i always love the buzz of the park!!

I put my bag in & headed off to do a little warm up, once done i joined the queue for the toilets. I was actually quite surprised at how relaxed i felt given my nerves & doubts during the week.

I jumped into the line for the race with only a few seconds to go till the start (queue took ages for toilets) i put my headphones in & turned my music on eagerly waiting to start. And we were off!! Didn't take me long to go through the start but my stupid watch glitched & wouldn't pick up the GPS signal!! F@#king marvellous is my exact thought here!! I decided to not get too bothered by it so just ran at a relatively comfortable pace. 1st mile was a lot of weaving in & out of people so felt slow. As i came up to the mile 1 sign i pressed my watch & it started!
    Miles 2 & 3 were good, i was constantly passing people but not too fast which felt good! We got some water here i drank a bit(i also had my own water with me) but i mainly poured it over myself as it was so hot!
    Mile 4 approached & i looked at my watch & for a sit second i though ffs this is the longest 3 miles ever but then i remembered my watch was a mile behind so that perked me up :)
    Mile 4 & 5 were also good again i steadily overtook people, i actually felt quite strong at this stage.
    Miles 6, 7 & 8 in my head i was telling myself to be conservative because everyone talked about the dreaded Mile 9 so i wanted to make sure i had enough in me but i also felt that while i was still feeling strong why not pick the pace up until i get to the hard part then re- evaluate it??? So thats what i went with,i still felt good & looked for shade anywhere i could find it haha It was great to get a cheer & a friendly smile from Skyblue46 here, it really lifted my morale!
    Mile 9 I really did not know what to expect here but thank god i had built the worst up in my head because in reality i didn't actually find it that bad! All i kept thinking was "you've put the training in, you can do this, you are not giving up just because its a bit harder than before! Cmon girl your not a quiter" I felt i mentally talked my way thru this mile & sure thays what its all about
    FINALLY Mile 10 oh baby how happy i was to see i was almost done, roughly another 8 mins running!!! Again i still felt i had something in the tank so started passing people nothing too fast, Once i caught sight of the clock i knew it was now or never!! I had a time in my head & although i was slightly over it i knew i had to push myself so the last stretch was an all out sprint passing lots of people! This felt amazing :D
    I even got a few pat on the back & well done on that finish from other runners which felt amazing:D

My chip time was 1:22:09 - very proud of that! My 1st ever 10 mile race & it was amazing!!

Sun 25 - Recovery run

Mile 1 - 10.31
    Mile 2 - 11.09
    Mile 3 - 11.12

Really nice slow recovery run to loosen the lgs out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭passinginterest

A tip I remember from years ago with the watch is always connect to the sattelites as soon as you get to the race location. It can take a good while the fist time to connect, I find it especially bad if it's an overcast day or in a built up area. Once it connects once it tends to be much quicker when it's race time. Seems to work from my experience.

Great racing too. You ran the race I had planned to attempt!

Well done Laineyfrecks, you are doing brilliantly. I wish I had your guts when racing! We are half way there now!!

A tip I remember from years ago with the watch is always connect to the sattelites as soon as you get to the race location. It can take a good while the fist time to connect, I find it especially bad if it's an overcast day or in a built up area. Once it connects once it tends to be much quicker when it's race time. Seems to work from my experience.

Great racing too. You ran the race I had planned to attempt!

Thanks a mill! Will defo remember that for next time ;)

Well done Laineyfrecks, you are doing brilliantly. I wish I had your guts when racing! We are half way there now!!

You are also doing brilliantly :D
    I think we all have that inner fight in races its what gets us through to the finish line when we feel like giving up!! Yep halfway there, can't believe how quickly it has gone by :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

You are also doing brilliantly :D
    I think we all have that inner fight in races its what gets us through to the finish line when we feel like giving up!! Yep halfway there and another tune up race in the bag, can't believe how quickly it has gone by :eek:

FYP. Congrats! 10 mile races are tough, to get a time like that in your first took some doing.

FYP. Congrats! 10 mile races are tough, to get a time like that in your first took some doing.

Cheers really chuffed with it! Now to put the head down & work towards my 1st ever half marathon! If anyone had told me the end of last year i'd have ran these distances in races & my lsr's i would have laughed!! 19miles this weekend at this point just feels like another few miles added on to what i'm capable of!(lets hope im saying that after it ha!) It will all be worth it for the big day :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement