Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expectation of Men to do physical Work in certain Jobs

Options
  • 29-08-2019 8:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭

With this thread I hope to highlight the situation that some men are put in with the expectations upon them to do the lifting, and how people may take for granted of them. The problem is that people will think a guy is a pussy if he takes caution or refuses to lift things, but I would actually say that sometimes it takes courage to refuse to lift.

One day in a factory where I worked, I was being passed heavy boxes over 4 foot wall. It wasn't in my usual line of work. I said I'd do a few, but then the boxes just kept coming and coming. Eventually I put my foot down and said to the supervisor "I need to know how many more of these boxes are due to come, and I might need help in lifting them". He was surprised that I said this and smiled at me. He said "yeah yeah, of course", and I called another guy from further up the line to come lift with me. I'm bloody glad I did ask for help because there were about another 40 boxes came!! It wasn't just the fact that it was badly planned, but the attitude of the supervisor when I spoke up. And I know it's very unlikely but any time a freak accident happens, it will be a guy that gets something like a finger chopped off.

Another time I remember when I was taking bacterial samples in a factory, once part I had to get to was up a high ladder. The lady showing the routine (first day) had to get another guy to go up there to show me the routine because she was "afraid of heights". When it came to asking someone to climb the ladder for her, there was this sudden change in her demeanor and she sort of acted like a little girl... like it was supposed to be cute that she couldn't be bothered putting herself at risk. She eventually said to a senior male colleague "can you get 'one of the lads' to go up there for me?". He replied "if you want me to go up the ladder, just ask". He had to bring me up and show me what to do.

Story about another manual Labor Dilemma I once faced

Another day at this factory I was working on a production line and part of the task involved lifting 25 kg boxes from a pallet and lifting them over to the conveyor line. There were about three people on each side of the production line, but the pallet of boxes was on one side of the conveyor. After a few minutes of work, the supervisor (female) came by and just said "two guys on this side". Seeing as I had been doing all the lifting work the previous day, I decided I'd stay where I was on the side that didn't involve lifting. Another poor guy on my side realised that I wasn't budging so he moved over instead of me. For the next hour I could tell that he was sort of looking over towards me with disgust at my laziness. You see if it were a male supervisor calling these same shots then at least I might feel that he'd have done years of lifting himself!

But the previous day when I had been doing all the heavy lifting, I had made sure that I was lifting correctly, and that I took my time. At one point in time I could see this supervisor staring at me. Maybe I'm surmising, but it was as if she was thinking to herself "would that lazy guy not go a bit faster?". When there was a bit of down time, I decided to sit on the boxes for about 30 seconds or so. Every now and then when I'd sit on the boxes I'd be aware that she could see, and I knew that I wouldn't get into trouble as long as I didn't do it right in front of her. But this day, I'd had enough of her nastiness towards me. I sat there until I knew she'd have to do something. She gave a gesture with here hands for me to get up, as if I was a dog almost. I just looked right at her. I got up in my own time... albeit only a few seconds later. But it was enough to piss her off. Straight away she walkie talkied to some manager, and then told me to report to him. I said to her that if that manager wants to speak to me, then he knows where I am. At this point she threw a complete tantrum.

Later she was gossiping about me to other Polish fork lift drivers that were passing by. I could tell by the way they were looking over at me. For about the next hour I was fearing when and if that manager was going to show up and see me, and what would happen if he did? He didn't show in the end! I'm not saying I got away with it, but that was all that happen that day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Sounds like a potential case of bullying OP

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Expectation of Men to do physical Work in certain Jobs

I expect physically strong men to do physical work etc. Obv not all men are as physically strong or as fit as others.

You were right to look after your body OP.

They should realize that kind of work you need to be broken in to gradually etc.

Just because you are a man doesn't mean you can do things some other men can do. Your body is individual.

And it does not sound like it was your job.

They should that job needs the person to build up a level of strength and fitness.

Not all guys can do the lifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

TLDR.

OP is lazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Were you the lad who never had his runners on P.E. day and had to sit in the corner?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

Sounds like a potential case of bullying OP
    Oh you're so funny. I can see why you like boards! You little cowardly keyboard warrior.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Relatively speaking, you’re a bit soft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Oh you're so funny. I can see why you like boards! You little cowardly keyboard warrior.

Careful lads, he spent a day lifting 25kg boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Here we go again. Even a carton of milk was a problem.

manualhandlingguidelines2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Maybe factory lifting work doesn't suit you.
    Ever considered becoming a masseur?Plenty of links to places in the massage thread.
    Good money to be made in diddy **** I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Bro, do you even lift?

• Advertisement

OP Username checks out too

Relatively speaking, you’re a bit soft.
    Not necessarily not being able for hard physical labor doesn't mean a man is soft.

I doubt Rees Moggs wouldn't last a min in a job requiring hard labor. I wouldn't call him soft.

I meant they were bullying u

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

the current state of AH trolls

skwO6HB.gif?noredirect

I meant they were bullying u
    Sorry, you're right. I'm just so used to sarcasm from people on boards.

Well I’m not being sarcastic I was just giving my opinion on what you wrote.

Well I’m not being sarcastic I was just giving my opinion on what you wrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

OP, you're lazy and if you've only just started in this job you're going to get the sack without a doubt.

I'm just so used to sarcasm from people on boards.

You're too fat-skinned for that.

pinkyeye wrote: »
    OP, you're lazy and if you've only just started in this job you're going to get the sack without a doubt.
    These stories were from a while back as you should be able to tell from my phrases like "I remember once".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

This is still definitely a thing. I see it in my work and even though there are countless campaigns emphasising health and safety and to "share the load" when lifting or transporting loads from one area to the other there is still a hidden inference that by actually asking for help, you are being a bit of a nuisance and are somehow less of a man for asking. Now for me to say that I have evidence to back it up as I have seen lots of guys roll their eyes when asked to help me and a little passive aggressive dig or joke along the lines of "Jaysus did you ever put your back into anything?" which I usually respond with "this place isn't worth putting your back OUT for!".

Of course this is just my workplace and experience, im sure all workplaces are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

looks too me like you have two problems . One is doing a bit of physical work and the other is being supervised by a female

I have evidence to back it up as I have seen lots of guys roll their eyes when asked to help me and a little passive aggressive dig or joke along the lines of "Jaysus did you ever put your back into anything?" which I usually respond with "this place isn't worth putting your back OUT for!".
    Oh yes, I love good retorts like that. That was good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

These stories were from a while back as you should be able to tell from my phrases like "I remember once".

Going by all your work issues posted this year, you go through jobs at an alarming rate.

Now, what could be the common denominator?

Going by all your work issues posted this year, you go through jobs at an alarming rate.

Could it be...

Could it be...

Could it be....

A motivation issue?

Ill get me coat and see myself out. Dont get up

its like when one person tells you , ''you have a problem'' then you can question him but if everybody tell you , ''you have a problem '' . then its time to question yourself

OP if physical work isn't for you then you should try for a job that doesn't require it.

Irritates me a bit that too. I work in a majority female building. Most of the men in there are life long pen pushers and desperately unfit. But we are always called for some lifting or pushing stalled cars. I get particularly pissed off when asked to lift a box that is light.

Just be thinking why can't you carry that yourself. Bur you'd be the talk of the building if you refused though.

The building is always warm. I don't want to go back to my desk a sweaty mess any more than the women do.

The building is always warm.
    That's probably the women's call too!

• Advertisement

That's probably the women's call too!
    seem you really do have a problem with the women folk

Advertisement