Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FPL Wildcard Thread 2019/20

Options

Comments

FHFC wrote: »
    Thanks. Didn't even know he was a CB.

Saw he had an assist. Whats the attraction of Leicester defence then!?

No idea.

Their other defenders are 6.0m, 5.5m and 5.0m so I’m assuming people think 4.5m is a cheap way into that defence.

That and maybe they are fancied to finish top 8-9 so people may think that 4.5m is value.

I don’t agree with either of those assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Afraid I don’t like it.

I think 2 of the 3 City lads would give you a lot more balance.

I think any WC team should have Salah. Sterling and TAA and take it from there.

I don’t like Pukki. I think that train has sailed. I’m quite alone on that one though I think. Don’t like AMN either. Don’t like Kane either.

I really like Mount. Looks a fantastic player.

I also think there could be great value in 3 strikers this year. Unlike other years there seems to be a lot of viable choices between 6-8m (so can hop around) and we could be looking at 3-4-3 being the best formation again.

I’d only go for one 4.5m keeper and a 4.0m.

I’d have TAA, 4.5m, Kelly, Lundstram, 4.0m

Cantwell or Dendoncker as 5th mid.

Edit - obviously there’s also fantastic midfielders in that price range too but 3-5-2 leaves you with a dead striker on bench whereas 3-4-3 leaves you with a better bench option.
    Thanks for that. Here is draft 2.... I can't afford TAA unless I sacrifice Vardy or Digne

Pope, Heaton

Soyunchu, Digne, Lundstrum, (Mings), (Kelly)

Salah, Sterling, KDB, Mount, (Cantwell)

Vardy, Pukki, Abraham

I am unsure about going without a Kane, Auba or Aguero........

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Liverpool have three Premier league games played and the Super Cup in between and no clean sheets. Why are people holding onto expensive defenders while using the wildcard? City have one clean sheet, not worth holding onto their defenders either imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Hovering over

Heaton / Patricio
    TAA / Lundstram / Zinchenko / Dunk / Kelly
    Salah / Sterling / KDB / Dendoncker / Cantwell
    Vardy / Joelinton / Pukki

Not sure on Vardy and Joelinton though. I think the lack of an elite striker is making me nervous but I also don't necessarily think Auba/Laca/Firmino/Kane are good options right now and I can't afford Aguero without sacrificing somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Afraid I don’t like it.

I think 2 of the 3 City lads would give you a lot more balance.

I think any WC team should have Salah. Sterling and TAA and take it from there.

I don’t like Pukki. I think that train has sailed. I’m quite alone on that one though I think. Don’t like AMN either. Don’t like Kane either.

I really like Mount. Looks a fantastic player.

I also think there could be great value in 3 strikers this year. Unlike other years there seems to be a lot of viable choices between 6-8m (so can hop around) and we could be looking at 3-4-3 being the best formation again.

I’d only go for one 4.5m keeper and a 4.0m.

I’d have TAA, 4.5m, Kelly, Lundstram, 4.0m

Cantwell or Dendoncker as 5th mid.

Edit - obviously there’s also fantastic midfielders in that price range too but 3-5-2 leaves you with a dead striker on bench whereas 3-4-3 leaves you with a better bench option.

I mentioned the 3 striker earlier in the week and completely agree, the 4.5m mid gives great flexibility.

Agree on 2 City attackers.

Not sure on TAA being essential

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Hovering over

Heaton / Patricio
    TAA / Lundstram / Zinchenko / Dunk / Kelly
    Salah / Sterling / KDB / Dendoncker / Cantwell
    Vardy / Joelinton / Pukki

Not sure on Vardy and Joelinton though. I think the lack of an elite striker is making me nervous but I also don't necessarily think Auba/Laca/Firmino/Kane are good options right now and I can't afford Aguero without sacrificing somewhere else.

Have pulled the trigger on this:

Heaton/Button
    Digne/Guilbert/Kelly/Lundstram/Dunk
    Sterling/De Bruyne/Salah/Cantwell/Dendoncker
    Aguero/Wesley/Pukki

- is the defence too light?
    - Do I need more Liverpool coverage? I didn't plan on cutting them out entirely but the defenders are expensive so I ended up favouring City.
    - I think Sterling, KDB and Aguero are pretty essential with City's run of games. Maybe I could drop KDB to improve somewhere else, but he's been a good source of points so far for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭VW 1

Pulled the trigger on a WC last night, needed surgery to the team. Had intended waiting til after the break but price risers/fallers meant I did it this week.

Have matip and zinchenko in my defence though, which are worries in the longer term, anyone got info on whether they're likely to play when Gomez and Mendy are fit?

Went for four premium mids and mid range strikers. Starting front 7 of kdb, sterling, Salah, martial, Pukki, wesley, Callum Wilson.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Have made a decent start,am at 400k OR.

But feel that I have fires to put out and want to build on my start so wildcarding.
    Wildcard Squad, Original players in bold, have 0.3 M ITB.

Pope Stekelenburg
    Digne Lundstram Mings Kelly Hanley
    Salah Sterling Kdb Ceballos Cantwell
    Pukki Auba Barnes

First time ever while playing FF that thinking of going with only one 4.5m playing keeper.Had Pope Heaton combo....both have good fixtures upcoming....went with Pope as he is close to a price rise. would be starting Digne,Mings and one of the other 3 each week.
    From early signs there may not be as many standout defenders this year to hoover up points from....defence might be lightweight but doesn't look like Pool,City. Utd etc are keeping many cleanies for a while.....so negates attractiveness of likes of VVD or TAA.
    Would be starting Digne, Mings and one of the other 3 each week.
    Midfield pretty template.
    Attack...I like to have one big gun and the other two boys are doing well at mo.....could switch one of them to Ayew and invest the difference in defence...during this WC week.

Appreciate any thoughts on this motley crew;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

But feel that I have fires to put out and want to build on my start so wildcarding.

Pope Stekelenburg
    Pukki Auba Barnes

First time ever while playing FF that thinking of going with only one 4.5m playing keeper.Had Pope Heaton combo....both have good fixtures upcoming....went with Pope as he is close to a price rise. would be starting Digne,Mings and one of the other 3 each week.
    From early signs there may not be as many standout defenders this year to hoover up points from....defence might be lightweight but doesn't look like Pool,City. Utd etc are keeping many cleanies for a while.....so negates attractiveness of likes of VVD or TAA.
    Attack...I like to have one big gun and the other two boys are doing well at mo.....could switch one of them to Ayew and invest the difference in defence...during this WC week.

I may be wrong but I think defence is where to focus for after the international break, most clubs have a bedding in period of finding their best choice players and within the opening few weeks, goals are conceded.

After the international break ...it's a fairly straight run so teams will need to focus on getting clean sheets in order to ensure points (you can't loose if you don't concede), teams will tighten their defences.

Of course the cream will rise to the top in terms of goalscoring but in terms of defences, you will see defenders from Liverpool/man city/arsenal etc get clean sheets and attacking points (assists/goals), this is where the points will be made in this part of the season, coming closer to Christmas loads of teams tend to concede and some hot favourites even loose games .

For me anyway - this is the part of the season where good defenders are important.

I plan on wildcarding over the international break to try gain team value which allows me to have the more expensive players (I'm currently at 100.5)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I may be wrong but I think defence is where to focus for after the international break, most clubs have a bedding in period of finding their best choice players and within the opening few weeks, goals are conceded.

After the international break ...it's a fairly straight run so teams will need to focus on getting clean sheets in order to ensure points (you can't loose if you don't concede), teams will tighten their defences.

Of course the cream will rise to the top in terms of goalscoring but in terms of defences, you will see defenders from Liverpool/man city/arsenal etc get clean sheets and attacking points (assists/goals), this is where the points will be made in this part of the season, coming closer to Christmas loads of teams tend to concede and some hot favourites even loose games .

For me anyway - this is the part of the season where good defenders are important.

I plan on wildcarding over the international break to try gain team value
    which allows me to have the more expensive players (I'm currently at 100.5)

I think someone debunked this myth last year. Fewer players rose over the international break because everyone was wildcarding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

I think someone debunked this myth last year. Fewer players rose over the international break because everyone was wildcarding.

Been debunked every year for about 5 years.

Don't get me started!!

The way to good team value is to avoid drops and get early on the players you want long term before they rise too much. That is all.

Mason Mount & Pukki

Or

Pulisic & Joelinton

I plan on wildcarding over the international break to try gain team value which allows me to have the more expensive players (I'm currently at 100.5)

City kept 10 clean sheets in their first 25 games. They kept 10 in their final 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,084 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Mason Mount & Pukki

Or

Pulisic & Joelinton

Mount and Pukki and it isn’t even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Pope Stekelenburg
    Pukki Auba Barnes

Looks like a balanced squad,personally I would have two starting keepers and maybe downgrade one of your front 3.

Wonder will Villa keep many Clean Sheets this year?......if you are starting Mings every week they would need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Pope, Heaton

Lundstram, Kelly, Digne, TAA, Pieters

Martial, Sterling, Salah, Cantwell, Dendoncker

Aguero, Greenwood, Pukki

Wildcard is active

Fairly happy with my team except for Martial, Greenwood, Dendoncker and I'm thinking that I should have Mount in my squad. Also formation is abit of a headache

Eithe

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭cizolin

Wildcard Active. Had a good enough start but felt the need to change with not having enough City players.

Anyway prev

DDG, Button
    Robertson, TAA, Lundstrum, Kelly, Hanley,
    Salah, Martial, KDB, Redmond,Siggy
    Vardy, Pukki, Greenwood

Updated to
    Adrian,Button,
    TAA, Lundstrum, Kelly, Hanley, Rico
    Salah, KDB, Sterling, Mount, Douglas Luiz
    Aguero, Pukki, Greenwood

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

First draft I've done messing around, Italics are current players

Pope/Heaton TAA/Soyuncu/Zinchenko/Montoya/Lundstram Salah/Sterling/KDB/Cebellos/Dendonker Pukki/Haller/Barnes

Any thoughts on this?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

cizolin wrote: »

Updated to
    Adrian,Button,
    Aguero, Pukki, Greenwood

Thoughts?

Not sure of the timeline, but Alisson is back soon enough.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Not sure of the timeline, but Alisson is back soon enough.

Ya plan to bank trfer next wk and get in Pope going forward, just such deviantion between high/low priced players but willing to gamble

• Advertisement

Any thoughts on this?

Looks very solid, only concern cellebos and dendoncker for me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Any thoughts on this?

Very similar to my first stab last night.

I've Pope and a 4.0 and went with 2 x 4.0 refs so I had Mount instead of Ceballos. Also had Cantwell 5th mid.

I want Aguero though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Trigger pulled. Was always gonna do it during the intl break but I thought it's only a week earlier and wanted KDB, Mount and Haller:

Heaton, Button
    TAA, Kelly, Digne, Lundstram, Zinchenko
    Salah, Sterling, Ceballos, Mount, KDB
    Haller, Pukkki, Greenwood

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Updated to
    Adrian,Button,
    Aguero, Pukki, Greenwood

Thoughts?
    That is way too light at the back. Rico probably won't play again and Hanley is useles, Norwich are awful defensively and he could lose his place in the near future. D Luiz won't be scoring wonder goals every week and Greenwood is likely to be a 1 pointer each week. You could be left with 10 points contributing players some weeks. Adrian is a transfer waiting to happen and I'd say you could be scrambling to get rid of some of the cheapies in the near future too.

Downgrade KDB (you have City well covered already) and upgrade to at least one 4.5 defender. I'd look to upgrade Greenwood too, KDB to a 7/7.5 player gives you a lot of options for upgrades elsewhere and there are good players in that price range.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    That is way too light at the back. Rico probably won't play again and Hanley is useles, Norwich are awful defensively and he could lose his place in the near future. D Luiz won't be scoring wonder goals every week and Greenwood is likely to be a 1 pointer each week. You could be left with 10 points contributing players some weeks. Adrian is a transfer waiting to happen and I'd say you could be scrambling to get rid of some of the cheapies in the near future too.

Downgrade KDB (you have City well covered already) and upgrade to at least one 4.5 defender. I'd look to upgrade Greenwood too, KDB to a 7/7.5 player gives you a lot of options for upgrades elsewhere and there are good players in that price range.

Thanks, ya agreed It’s not the strongest. Was thinking for just the next two games is to keep team as is and then have a doubler to get rid of Adrian for Pope and downgrade a midfielder to upgrade in defence. My prev team was much more balanced but lack of city players(sterling/kun) put the fear in me.

Will take a further look later and might downgrade KDB alright this wk to upgrade defence

I just can’t get a team with Pepe in it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Missing Links

FHFC wrote: »
    Very similar to my first stab last night.

I've Pope and a 4.0 and went with 2 x 4.0 refs so I had Mount instead of Ceballos. Also had Cantwell 5th mid.

I want Aguero though!

Bit of an unfair advantage that you have refs in/on your side!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Wildcard Active. Had a good enough start but felt the need to change with not having enough City players.

Anyway prev

DDG, Button
    Robertson, TAA, Lundstrum, Kelly, Hanley,
    Salah, Martial, KDB, Redmond,Siggy
    Vardy, Pukki, Greenwood

Updated to
    Adrian,Button,
    Aguero, Pukki, Greenwood

Thoughts?

I have 9 of your 15,

Adrian is a transfer waiting to happen and given pools starts this season I would have someone else, especially as you have TAA.

Is TAA worth 7m? Personally I don’t think so - simply because you can upgrade another defender - like Rico and have two 90 min defenders

Hanley is club captain I think so I think he will play given that he has to date - other than Norwich being terrible at the back no reason for him to be dropped

Rico - as above transfer waiting to happen and won’t even get you a sub appearance.

No idea about Douglas or his price.

I too have gone with Salah, Sterling, KdB and Agustin as they are all firing so think it’s with having.

I currently have Pukki but may downgrade to Barnes - Do we know if Pukki is on penalties?

As for Greenwood - he will get game time and probably more and more as season goes on - simple cause United have no one else, especially if Rashford gets injured. However given his price he’s easy to slot back in if needs be, and the worse thing for you is to have him as 3rd sub and watch him score 2/3 goals in a game. I would upgrade him to someone - even likes of Abraham, Barnes - guys who will get plenty of game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Pope - Button
    Digne - VVD - Soyuncu - Lunstrum - Guilbert
    Salah - Sterling - Mount - Ceballos - D.Luiz
    Aguero - Barnes - Pukki

3-4-3

Think I have most bases covered here. Any thoughts?
    Wanted Mings instead of Guilbert but 0.1 short. :mad:

• Advertisement

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Pope - Button
    Digne - VVD - Soyuncu - Lunstrum - Guilbert
    Salah - Sterling - Mount - Ceballos - D.Luiz
    Aguero - Barnes - Pukki

3-4-3

Think I have most bases covered here. Any thoughts?
    Wanted Mings instead of Guilbert but 0.1 short. :mad:

I would try get Haller into that forward line. I'm looking at Haller & Joelinton or Wesley.

West Ham coverage should be a priority IMO - they are littered with attacking quality and have a manager who loves to attack. There next 5 fixtures are Norwich, Villa, United, Bournemouth and Palace.

I reckon he will outscore Pukki over the next 5 games anyway

Advertisement