Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

October 2019 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Is it the start of Sept they go back? I saw a mother and her kid out shopping for books and stuff the last day, oh i used to love it when I was a kid but then i remembered how much all the books cost my parents (madness) and the weight of them...Poor kids.... You looking forward to the peace and quite when they go back?

So Dentist is ok then, darn and good I suppose might bite the bullet and make an appointment...

After two days, settling trying to get rid of this cold.. I am thinking of things to do! Was thinking of maybe getting the baby bag ready to go? But then would need to clear space and also pull down the box of baby clothes to go through them all... Anyone else getting bits and pieces ready.. Must pick up some of those Multi Maam breast thingys and some mudder udder cream found them lifesavers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

The madness of back to school is real.. but I am so looking forward to them going back for them as well as me.. they miss school and I miss the cleaning in peace time..

I'm gonna work on the hospital bag when they go back to school least then I've less to do for them for awhile anyway..

Incase anyone is looking at the Tommee Tippee bottles was just in Tesco and they have a great deal on the teeths 2 packs for 10 and there is a 3 pack of the bigger bottles for 10.99.. Dont understand as they have a 4 pack for 24.99 but sure tis a good deal..

Had the 30week GP app today!! Not long to go, so all is well little bugger was hard to find as normal she thought he was head down but nope head up and maybe lying crossways or across my belly.. But all is well.. Forgot I must head to the main hos for the chat about VBAC (such a horrible name) or section chat soon enough too im like ahhh do we really need to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭iwishihadaname

Just wondering does anyone know if I get signed off 2 weeks before I'm supposed to go on maternity leave, does that count as sick leave or do I have to take early maternity leave?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Get your doctor to sign you off as sick leave.
    You could take it as maternity leave but it means you lose two weeks at the other end, basically.And if your baby doesn't come on time, you lose out at the other end then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Just wondering does anyone know if I get signed off 2 weeks before I'm supposed to go on maternity leave, does that count as sick leave or do I have to take early maternity leave?

Check your company's maternity leave policy, i know for me (public sector) that i have to start maternity leave 2 weeks before my due date. However i got my doctor to put down a different due date to my actual one. That way i'll get signed off sick when i'm supposed to be starting my maternity leave.

Actually just checked online and its statutory that you start your maternity 2 weeks before due date https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/maternity_leave.html

As shesty says though many babies especially first ones don't come on their due date and you could lose out on up to a months worth of time with baby

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Sorry I made the assumption that you were talking about stopping work four weeks ahead of your due date in total? If you mean being signed off two weeks ahead of your due date, then there is no choice in that.You cannot work up to your due date.

• Advertisement

Had a very active baby yesterday he was going ninety :)... After a visit to the GP during the week she was saying she thought he was transverse and I think last night he moved again. Was just in bed and he done a big whirl and i felt sick, and had a sharp pain in my lower back (like the pain) was beginning to worry for a bit but all good. Got the best nights sleep I had in a long time..

Even thinking of the pain again I was like mmmm.. Not saying it is too much just for any first time mums but tis just odd i a way how it is so normal and yet you willingly do this and expect the pain (dont worry we are mighty women) Is it easier or harder 2nd time round do ye think? I am feeling an awfull lot more pressure down belly this time thats about it

I think you know more/too much after yoyr first.It can inform your choices better for what you want for birth and that, but it causes more nervousness too, I found.

Yeah the choices most defiantly at least you know what to expect and when.. Just the knowing :) I was watching one born every min the last day going why why but then you rem the magic ohh that first cuddle.. no matter what

I love that moment.There is absolutely nothing like it in the whole world.

Or even the first meaningful cuddle you get when they are a few months. That first one where they know what they are doing and their arms are so light around you but yet they are holding on... On the weakness

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭starlady1

Hope everyone is doing well. Most of us into the last quarter now! I'm tired alot of the time and finding it hard to get comfortable at night. I hope the next few weeks go quickly!

Nearly there!!! My cousin just gave birth to her 4th little girl today and I was like ohhh when is time...Due the 23rd here so waiting patiently... Must say at last though today the skin is just glowing so much better, hopefully this is the end of the spots :)... Not feeling too bad here bar the feet but have been trying to relax more... Looking forward to going to the baby fair in Galway in Sept so trying to hold off getting anything until we get to there (it isnt easy)..

Has everyone got what they need for the big arrival :).. Started to put bits and pieces in a bag today to get them ready..Hope your feeling great Starlady

Feeling okay thank you Milly. Just tired at times had some problems with low blood pressure a few weeks ago doctor has said that's what is causing the tiredness so just something to keep an eye on.

I am also waiting on the baby fair but will be 37 weeks by then so wondering is that too late?? Hard to know when to buy things.

I have my hospital bag packed and ready to go but nothing else bought yet..

Due 22nd and had another scan today. Baby is Bonny, code for big so going to make an effort to cut down on the sugar. Funnily enough I haven’t put in much weight but looks like baba has got it all. Have to start taking iron but haven’t felt too bad with tiredness.

Think I’m pretty sorted, bags are packed for hospital and have most things for first few weeks. Luckily got loads of stuff from my sister and sister in law so only had to buy the smaller bits

Bonny!! at least it sounds nice. Congrats on keeping the weight down on you, you must be delighted.. Tis funny how some people are so small yet have big babies... Plus good to find out now it might be a bit bigger, i remember the midwife saying to me you know your having a big baby, this was after maybe 8hrs of labour I was like oh thanks for telling me that now :)... You are all prepared then, just sit down now and relax..

Darn with the blood pressure Starlady, try and take your time I know easier said than done. But you need to be pampered and minded now..I was kinda thinking the same with the baby market was it leaving things too late, but dont need many essentials tis only bits we are going to look at. thank god we have plenty of clothes, have buggy and all that. Do you know what you need to get and that..

• Advertisement

I am trying to take it easy so think I just need to keep doing that and eating often seems to keep the blood pressure from going too low.

It's my first baby so need everything! We are getting a few things from a cousin of mine but need to buy a good bit as well. Will see how things are in a week or two. I might not wait until the baby market in case I go early..

Yer first :) oh it will be magical...Youd be surprised at how little bar the basics ye will need in the beginning...But get what you are saying I was just looking at the diary there and well be pretty close to the due date too so its like mmm.. But sure well see was so much fun planning all the bits for the first little madam..

He is really moving about the last few days, felt a big head butt this morning twas mad was getting worried thinking it was all starting early..

Not sure if it is all Supervalues now but got a call from my Mum (forever thinking of us) to say that there was an offer on the newborn pampers in their local one. So she has a few packs for us just incase anyone is looking out for them it is good to get them on offer.. Alsoa the little mini bottles of formula in SMA pre-prepared we found them great for travelling (you didnt have to worry about heating them as you can keep them out) they are on offer again...

Going to try and check our own local one once the weather decides to maybe take a break...

How is everyone doing!!! God this holding off on buying things is killing me, im so mad to get everything done and ready but must wait a little bit..Think we have managed to swing a maxi cozi and base, and thats it for now..Getting a few bits ready for the baby bag and thats it... Picked up a gift for the little one for the day we come home maybe

shesty wrote: »
    Sorry I made the assumption that you were talking about stopping work four weeks ahead of your due date in total? If you mean being signed off two weeks ahead of your due date, then there is no choice in that.You cannot work up to your due date.

Yes meant getting off four weeks ahead of my due date. I'm really weak from anaemia and the two hour drive every day is really hard. The doctor said they'd sign me off any time but I was wondering how that would affect maternity leave.

Yes meant getting off four weeks ahead of my due date. I'm really weak from anaemia and the two hour drive every day is really hard. The doctor said they'd sign me off any time but I was wondering how that would affect maternity leave.

It doesn’t affect maternity leave as you are out on sick leave. It then depends on your company’s policy around certified sick leave how much you are paid etc.

Milly33 wrote: »
    How is everyone doing!!! God this holding off on buying things is killing me, im so mad to get everything done and ready but must wait a little bit..Think we have managed to swing a maxi cozi and base, and thats it for now..Getting a few bits ready for the baby bag and thats it... Picked up a gift for the little one for the day we come home maybe

Why are you holding off buying things? I bought so much clothes, then my SIL turns up with so much clothes that I have enough for triplets now!

Just wondering are ye getting snowsuits for your October babies? We have a footmuff for the pram so not sure if we need a snow suit too.

Milly33 wrote: »

So I have also fallen victim to pelvic displacement which is a bummer. Things had clearly been going too well!

I’ve the bags packed for a few weeks and I’m so glad because walking is so painful it’s as much as I can do to get through the work day so glad I don’t need to organise those. We are been given most of the large items but I’ve all the other bits bought and baby’s room setup. Again very happy I’ve that organised already. My husband is great and will do anything I ask but I hate having to explain everything in minute detail. This is my fault as I’m a perfectionist. Will have to drop that once baby comes though and just let him get on with it!

Why are you holding off buying things? I bought so much clothes, then my SIL turns up with so much clothes that I have enough for triplets now!

Just wondering are ye getting snowsuits for your October babies? We have a footmuff for the pram so not sure if we need a snow suit too.

I was given a couple, one newborn, one 0-3 and a 3-6. I think it depends on your lifestyle. If you like going for walks etc then yes you’d need one. However if most of the time you are out you are in the car or a shopping centre then you probably don’t need it immediately or could get away with a bigger one that would longer. Sure winter went on til may this year

• Advertisement

I was given a couple, one newborn, one 0-3 and a 3-6. I think it depends on your lifestyle. If you like going for walks etc then yes you’d need one. However if most of the time you are out you are in the car or a shopping centre then you probably don’t need it immediately or could get away with a bigger one that would longer. Sure winter went on til may this year

Yeah exactly, I'm not sure when winter actually starts anymore! The seasons are all over the place :-)

Advertisement