Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

October 2019 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Is it the start of Sept they go back? I saw a mother and her kid out shopping for books and stuff the last day, oh i used to love it when I was a kid but then i remembered how much all the books cost my parents (madness) and the weight of them...Poor kids.... You looking forward to the peace and quite when they go back?

So Dentist is ok then, darn and good I suppose might bite the bullet and make an appointment...

After two days, settling trying to get rid of this cold.. I am thinking of things to do! Was thinking of maybe getting the baby bag ready to go? But then would need to clear space and also pull down the box of baby clothes to go through them all... Anyone else getting bits and pieces ready.. Must pick up some of those Multi Maam breast thingys and some mudder udder cream found them lifesavers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

The madness of back to school is real.. but I am so looking forward to them going back for them as well as me.. they miss school and I miss the cleaning in peace time..

I'm gonna work on the hospital bag when they go back to school least then I've less to do for them for awhile anyway..

Incase anyone is looking at the Tommee Tippee bottles was just in Tesco and they have a great deal on the teeths 2 packs for 10 and there is a 3 pack of the bigger bottles for 10.99.. Dont understand as they have a 4 pack for 24.99 but sure tis a good deal..

Had the 30week GP app today!! Not long to go, so all is well little bugger was hard to find as normal she thought he was head down but nope head up and maybe lying crossways or across my belly.. But all is well.. Forgot I must head to the main hos for the chat about VBAC (such a horrible name) or section chat soon enough too im like ahhh do we really need to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭iwishihadaname

Just wondering does anyone know if I get signed off 2 weeks before I'm supposed to go on maternity leave, does that count as sick leave or do I have to take early maternity leave?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Get your doctor to sign you off as sick leave.
    You could take it as maternity leave but it means you lose two weeks at the other end, basically.And if your baby doesn't come on time, you lose out at the other end then too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Just wondering does anyone know if I get signed off 2 weeks before I'm supposed to go on maternity leave, does that count as sick leave or do I have to take early maternity leave?

Check your company's maternity leave policy, i know for me (public sector) that i have to start maternity leave 2 weeks before my due date. However i got my doctor to put down a different due date to my actual one. That way i'll get signed off sick when i'm supposed to be starting my maternity leave.

Actually just checked online and its statutory that you start your maternity 2 weeks before due date https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/maternity_leave.html

As shesty says though many babies especially first ones don't come on their due date and you could lose out on up to a months worth of time with baby

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Sorry I made the assumption that you were talking about stopping work four weeks ahead of your due date in total? If you mean being signed off two weeks ahead of your due date, then there is no choice in that.You cannot work up to your due date.

• Advertisement

Had a very active baby yesterday he was going ninety :)... After a visit to the GP during the week she was saying she thought he was transverse and I think last night he moved again. Was just in bed and he done a big whirl and i felt sick, and had a sharp pain in my lower back (like the pain) was beginning to worry for a bit but all good. Got the best nights sleep I had in a long time..

Even thinking of the pain again I was like mmmm.. Not saying it is too much just for any first time mums but tis just odd i a way how it is so normal and yet you willingly do this and expect the pain (dont worry we are mighty women) Is it easier or harder 2nd time round do ye think? I am feeling an awfull lot more pressure down belly this time thats about it

I think you know more/too much after yoyr first.It can inform your choices better for what you want for birth and that, but it causes more nervousness too, I found.

Yeah the choices most defiantly at least you know what to expect and when.. Just the knowing :) I was watching one born every min the last day going why why but then you rem the magic ohh that first cuddle.. no matter what

I love that moment.There is absolutely nothing like it in the whole world.

Or even the first meaningful cuddle you get when they are a few months. That first one where they know what they are doing and their arms are so light around you but yet they are holding on... On the weakness

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭starlady1

Hope everyone is doing well. Most of us into the last quarter now! I'm tired alot of the time and finding it hard to get comfortable at night. I hope the next few weeks go quickly!

Nearly there!!! My cousin just gave birth to her 4th little girl today and I was like ohhh when is time...Due the 23rd here so waiting patiently... Must say at last though today the skin is just glowing so much better, hopefully this is the end of the spots :)... Not feeling too bad here bar the feet but have been trying to relax more... Looking forward to going to the baby fair in Galway in Sept so trying to hold off getting anything until we get to there (it isnt easy)..

Has everyone got what they need for the big arrival :).. Started to put bits and pieces in a bag today to get them ready..Hope your feeling great Starlady

Feeling okay thank you Milly. Just tired at times had some problems with low blood pressure a few weeks ago doctor has said that's what is causing the tiredness so just something to keep an eye on.

I am also waiting on the baby fair but will be 37 weeks by then so wondering is that too late?? Hard to know when to buy things.

I have my hospital bag packed and ready to go but nothing else bought yet..

Due 22nd and had another scan today. Baby is Bonny, code for big so going to make an effort to cut down on the sugar. Funnily enough I haven’t put in much weight but looks like baba has got it all. Have to start taking iron but haven’t felt too bad with tiredness.

Think I’m pretty sorted, bags are packed for hospital and have most things for first few weeks. Luckily got loads of stuff from my sister and sister in law so only had to buy the smaller bits

Bonny!! at least it sounds nice. Congrats on keeping the weight down on you, you must be delighted.. Tis funny how some people are so small yet have big babies... Plus good to find out now it might be a bit bigger, i remember the midwife saying to me you know your having a big baby, this was after maybe 8hrs of labour I was like oh thanks for telling me that now :)... You are all prepared then, just sit down now and relax..

Darn with the blood pressure Starlady, try and take your time I know easier said than done. But you need to be pampered and minded now..I was kinda thinking the same with the baby market was it leaving things too late, but dont need many essentials tis only bits we are going to look at. thank god we have plenty of clothes, have buggy and all that. Do you know what you need to get and that..

• Advertisement

I am trying to take it easy so think I just need to keep doing that and eating often seems to keep the blood pressure from going too low.

It's my first baby so need everything! We are getting a few things from a cousin of mine but need to buy a good bit as well. Will see how things are in a week or two. I might not wait until the baby market in case I go early..

Yer first :) oh it will be magical...Youd be surprised at how little bar the basics ye will need in the beginning...But get what you are saying I was just looking at the diary there and well be pretty close to the due date too so its like mmm.. But sure well see was so much fun planning all the bits for the first little madam..

He is really moving about the last few days, felt a big head butt this morning twas mad was getting worried thinking it was all starting early..

Not sure if it is all Supervalues now but got a call from my Mum (forever thinking of us) to say that there was an offer on the newborn pampers in their local one. So she has a few packs for us just incase anyone is looking out for them it is good to get them on offer.. Alsoa the little mini bottles of formula in SMA pre-prepared we found them great for travelling (you didnt have to worry about heating them as you can keep them out) they are on offer again...

Going to try and check our own local one once the weather decides to maybe take a break...

How is everyone doing!!! God this holding off on buying things is killing me, im so mad to get everything done and ready but must wait a little bit..Think we have managed to swing a maxi cozi and base, and thats it for now..Getting a few bits ready for the baby bag and thats it... Picked up a gift for the little one for the day we come home maybe

shesty wrote: »
    Sorry I made the assumption that you were talking about stopping work four weeks ahead of your due date in total? If you mean being signed off two weeks ahead of your due date, then there is no choice in that.You cannot work up to your due date.

Yes meant getting off four weeks ahead of my due date. I'm really weak from anaemia and the two hour drive every day is really hard. The doctor said they'd sign me off any time but I was wondering how that would affect maternity leave.

Yes meant getting off four weeks ahead of my due date. I'm really weak from anaemia and the two hour drive every day is really hard. The doctor said they'd sign me off any time but I was wondering how that would affect maternity leave.

It doesn’t affect maternity leave as you are out on sick leave. It then depends on your company’s policy around certified sick leave how much you are paid etc.

Milly33 wrote: »
    How is everyone doing!!! God this holding off on buying things is killing me, im so mad to get everything done and ready but must wait a little bit..Think we have managed to swing a maxi cozi and base, and thats it for now..Getting a few bits ready for the baby bag and thats it... Picked up a gift for the little one for the day we come home maybe

Why are you holding off buying things? I bought so much clothes, then my SIL turns up with so much clothes that I have enough for triplets now!

Just wondering are ye getting snowsuits for your October babies? We have a footmuff for the pram so not sure if we need a snow suit too.

Milly33 wrote: »

So I have also fallen victim to pelvic displacement which is a bummer. Things had clearly been going too well!

I’ve the bags packed for a few weeks and I’m so glad because walking is so painful it’s as much as I can do to get through the work day so glad I don’t need to organise those. We are been given most of the large items but I’ve all the other bits bought and baby’s room setup. Again very happy I’ve that organised already. My husband is great and will do anything I ask but I hate having to explain everything in minute detail. This is my fault as I’m a perfectionist. Will have to drop that once baby comes though and just let him get on with it!

Why are you holding off buying things? I bought so much clothes, then my SIL turns up with so much clothes that I have enough for triplets now!

Just wondering are ye getting snowsuits for your October babies? We have a footmuff for the pram so not sure if we need a snow suit too.

I was given a couple, one newborn, one 0-3 and a 3-6. I think it depends on your lifestyle. If you like going for walks etc then yes you’d need one. However if most of the time you are out you are in the car or a shopping centre then you probably don’t need it immediately or could get away with a bigger one that would longer. Sure winter went on til may this year

• Advertisement

I was given a couple, one newborn, one 0-3 and a 3-6. I think it depends on your lifestyle. If you like going for walks etc then yes you’d need one. However if most of the time you are out you are in the car or a shopping centre then you probably don’t need it immediately or could get away with a bigger one that would longer. Sure winter went on til may this year

Yeah exactly, I'm not sure when winter actually starts anymore! The seasons are all over the place :-)

I'd wait if i were you. Considering the amount of stuff ive been given with tags still attached its not like they get much wear out of them. Sure if you decide you want one you can pick them up so easily online or even get someone to pop into dunnes or penneys for you.

Oh yes, then my original post was right.Get your sick cert for those first two weeks from your doctor or the hospital, but fill out your mat leave form with dates from 38 weeks.As another poster said, then it's whatever way your employer works for sick pay for those first two weeks.

Hope you get sorted iwishihadaname, take all the time you can. If you need it you need it.. P&Cream sorry to hear you have been stuck down, my cousin had the same and it was quite nasty i dont think she could drive or anything like that.. Fair deuce to ye ladies for putting up with all this and working.. What can they do for you then for it?

Oh im the same i have a way to do things and if tisnt done that way, im like well ill just do it myself (not to be mean) but if I left it, it would annoying me more.. I have been describe as anal once or twice haha, but at least I know what i want...

So jealous now to hear ye are all ready to go.. Really wish we were sorted but for once im like nope nope tis fine...I suppose having herself makes it easier as I know what we will need...Just on the lookout for the car seat, nearly done it to myself and got a rather good deal with a buggy and all that goes but sure we have one, so it will only be sitting there so just focusing on the maxi cozi...

Regards the snow suits, have to say we used them i think once or twice, i would not be going out spending a lot of money on one for sure.. Get one second hand if you can, that and jackets..

Madness, our little one was very warm all the time anyway but jes between trying to get the jacket on her, then you have to take it off if you are putting her in the car seat, put it back on when you take her out etc..Found cardis were the best thing, or just a lightweight one from Pennys was the best one we got... I have three perfect furry ones upstairs that ti really wish i kept the tags on to return, defiantly do this. Even if you open it going ahh that is nice if you have any doubts keep that reciept to take them back.. Also had the foot muff the Wallaboo one which is plenty warm so that always done if she was in the buggy..

Loverly to hear all yer news

Just to get me out of my i need to buy something well and because im not sure will I get my own pump back,but got the hand pump in Aldi. 5.99 not too sure if tis any good but it cant be that bad... Oh ladies dont forget the giant knicker for the hospital bags! I know maybe no one ever sees themselves wearing them but i am telling you they are so comfy and just what is needed for the afters.. And yep I mean the michael guinneys or pound shop ones you see, they are heaven

how is everyone doing!!! Just had second birthday as a mum and im knackered haha.. Had a loverly weekend, took a trip to Ikea.. Must say was a little disappointed with what they had this time round nothing too exciting but sure still managed to spend enough..

Going to get the hospital bag sorted this week as a must, have to bring down all the baby clothes go through what would do for either and get them washed and ironed... Need to get rid of stuff also the clutter is driving me bonkers already... Swelling is massive too between the legs and the hands they look huge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I'm carrying a giants baby and I'm feeling it big time.. had a scare 2 weeks ago they thought I was going into labour but all good thankfully. I got the hospital bag done over the weekend so I'm at least set there..
    Have another kidney infection which is as bad as when I was hospitalized in april so I'm feeling proper down with it. Up side is my dads partner works in centre parcs and we're going to the spa there tomorrow if I fit in my swimsuit.
    I've bought some baby boy clothes for the hospital and that properly brought it home that its getting closer now

Hope you have a lovely spa day synyster shadow sounds like you definitely deserve it. Hope you feel better I had a kidney infection in early April as well but nothing as bad as what you are describing.

Well my baby is in breech and if it doesn't turn in the next 2 weeks I will be offered an ECV. Anyone here had it done? Did it work?

This one feels rather big aswell, dont rem the baby feeling so heavy with the little miss... giants baby is a good description...

wow with Centre Parcs enjoy it, and feck the cossie I am sure you will fit into it and walk around proud with you bump.. Have a wonderfull time.. I was thinking of maybe heading there in November for a break if all seems ok with the baby. The three or well four (dog) get away for a weekend...Looks loverly

Just reading a great one on what to expect with a solution reading "The pain will end when your pregnancy ends and your baby is born" this is in relation to lighting crotch pain but tis one for everything really...

You are all set to go well done to you... Hope you got some nice outfits! Dont forget a few pamper products for yourself also

Would they offer an EVC this early on then, or well silly as they did but thought they would wait. Is your due date early Oct? I know the Doc and Midwife said ours was tranverse but said not to panic that there was loads of time..

No they didn't offer it for now but they said with the way the baby is positioned it is unlikely to turn on its own and they just told me about the ECV saying they will try it if the baby doesn't turn in the next 2 weeks. They don't expect it to due to the way it is positioned at the moment. Due Mid October..

• Advertisement

Oh ok, i get you ah fingers crossed it will turn for you... Have you tried a few of the exercises or the birthing ball to maybe encourge it? There are a good few yoga related positions too that make sense... You hear so many stories about how they move about, a friends sisters baby was going 90 before it was due to be delivered and kept moving the docs would move it back and it would turn again.. She said they were gobsmacked...

Had a rest day yesterday and the baby must have felt it and it did not stop moving all day was going mad!! which is great as i thought it was being a bit quite.. Noticed a bit of colostrum aswell today I was like yes they are working

Don't sit on the birthing ball if baby is not head down, it opens the pelvis up and can push baby further into wrong position.

There are few yoga moves that help, but generally not the likes of child's pose etc.

Hopefully the procedure goes well for you!

shesty wrote: »
    Don't sit on the birthing ball if baby is not head down, it opens the pelvis up and can push baby further into wrong position.

There are few yoga moves that help, but generally not the likes of child's pose etc.

Hopefully the procedure goes well for you!

I was never told that really?? I have been sitting on it daily doing pilates exercises. Will have to get exercise in another way.

Thanks, hopefully it will work!

Certainly the case if the baby is head up.Not sure what position it's in for you?Yoga teacher said that to us, makes sense when you think about it.Trying to avoid squatting seems to be another thing.

All fours seems to be good for trying to persuade them to turn, but it's a bit of luck thing too I think.

Was just looking up and How to change your baby into a birthday ball, comes up :)... Oh dear... Sorry for that, I as sure there were a few exercises the doula said that you could use to the ball for to encourage the baby to move into poistion.. I hope something works for you plenty of time still...

This weather here is just really not making the days any better or go faster

Yeah Baby Market this weekend... So excited about it... Just after doing a full (well nearly have two presses to do yet) clear out of the house and tidy and tis just greeat.. Have most of the baby clothes washed and ready to be put away just need something to put them in :)...

Hope everyone is doing great

• Registered Users Posts: 48 An tAlbanach

Any news on flu vaccine folks? Wife due sweep 2nd October so hoping for vaccine to take effect before baby born.

It was slightly mentioned the last time at the GP but well I wont be getting it. Didnt get it last time and it was a December baby just dont like it myself.. I am not sure is it even on offer yet, i rem seeing a sign in the docs office saying it was not available as of yet...

Are you going for the sweep, would like to know how you get on. Mentioned again this time if nothing happens and i was like mmmm

Any news on flu vaccine folks? Wife due sweep 2nd October so hoping for vaccine to take effect before baby born.

I was told no need to get it as we are not in flu season and it isn't available yet and won't be for a few more weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 An tAlbanach

I've already seen people with flu in local hospital. The season has started. Asked at work today and looks like they will be in end of next week/week after. In UK from 23rd.

• Advertisement
Advertisement