Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are men more homophobic compared to women?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Theres a certain type of liberal ‘empowered’ woman in this life that wish to see men punished by the rod of erection. To fall on their own sword if you will. Grace Jones would be one

I can see men from a women’s perspective but in no way shape or form am I feeling them from a woman’s perspective... I can see brad pit is a hunk but that doesn’t mean I want to chug a load of his spunk down my throat if you know what I’m sayin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'm a straight man. I am exclusively sexually attracted to women. I am sexually repulsed by men at a visceral level. Hence seeing two men act in a sexual manner with each other causes a negative reaction in me. With two women acting in a sexual manner this is lessened(if I consider them attractive), because again I am sexually attracted to women, so it's less of a stretch. Simples.

When you say repulsed, I have an image of you shutting your eyes and turning your head away at the sight of a naked man or two men kissing. It's a very strong word. I to am straight but I'm not repulsed by men because I am one. I have been in changing rooms with naked men, I've seen men kiss but it doesn't bother me (I would have been a bit uncomfortable when I was younger). Again I'm not trying to police your thoughts but it does clearly bother you, as you've said not to the extent that you'd want to repress homosexuals but it does bother you on some level and I'm fascinated by the idea expressed in this thread that this is a perfectly natural reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I'd be extremely disappointed and saddened if my son turned out to be gay when he grows up, I'd still love him though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I'd be extremely disappointed and saddened if my son turned out to be gay when he grows up, I'd still love him though

Really? Did you vote in the referendum?

What about your daughter (hypothetical if you don't have one)?

Do you not like gay marriage or is it okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Depends how narrowly you define homophobic but speaking as someone who went to school with girls (no I attend a Loretto - they turned down my application, sexists) I think they're not as "homophobic" as guys for two reasons 1) more of them are open to being with the same sex and 2) gay guys are feminine and so they can relate to them more, even to the gay guys who are not into feminine men, as then they're just like their friends and fantasizing about similar guys.

I'd say in my 6th year, around 25% had fooled around with another girl (often in front of us) and 50% would have had a gay male in the circle of friends. Girls lifestyles just lend itself to being less "homophobic". Although, in saying that, I haven't really seen much genuine homophobia in my time. Sure we'd call each other fags for doing or saying something gay (like most of my generation) but any of my mates always seemed to be the kind to defend a guy who was gay and getting genuine abuse for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Wailin

FunLover18 wrote: »
    When you say repulsed, I have an image of you shutting your eyes and turning your head away at the sight of a naked man or two men kissing. It's a very strong word. I to am straight but I'm not repulsed by men because I am one. I have been in changing rooms with naked men, I've seen men kiss but it doesn't bother me (I would have been a bit uncomfortable when I was younger). Again I'm not trying to police your thoughts but it does clearly bother you, as you've said not to the extent that you'd want to repress homosexuals but it does bother you on some level and I'm fascinated by the idea expressed in this thread that this is a perfectly natural reaction.

Yes, it is a perfectly natural reaction for some people. Don't see why you've an issue with that. Some people are more accepting than others. Some are more conservative. So what? It's clear you're the type that likes to push agendas on people who don't agree with your outlook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

They don't want another man's penis touching their own. Particularly with the foreskin pulled back.

It's only gay if both parties have their foreskin pulled back when contact is made. If one of them has his pulled back, but the other doesn't, that's bisexual. If neither of them have it pulled back, it's just harmless horseplay and nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

It's only gay if both parties have their foreskin pulled back when contact is made. If one of them has his pulled back, but the other doesn't, that's bisexual. If neither of them have it pulled back, it's just harmless horseplay and nothing to worry about.

I don’t mind indulging, if it generates laughs but if he is erect and I am the reason then I’m out of the game. Absolutely petrified of being the stimulus for another man’s stiffy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

FunLover18 wrote: »

Ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Jmsg

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Shame on you. You ought to be conforming this perfectly natural reaction to LGBT propaganda lest you're a bigot brainwashed by catholic oppression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Wailin wrote: »
    Yes, it is a perfectly natural reaction for some people. Don't see why you've an issue with that. Some people are more accepting than others. Some are more conservative. So what? It's clear you're the type that likes to push agendas on people who don't agree with your outlook.

I never said I have an issue with it, I said I was fascinated by it. I have an issue some posts in this thread but I've chosen not to engage. I didn't know I wasn't allowed to ask questions about people's reactions and feelings in a thread about people's reactions and feelings.

This is just like the priest telling you to be ashamed of masturbation. What is it with people wanting to tell others how they should feel on a visceral level? The arrogance and narcissism is breathtaking.

If someone finds me or something I do repulsive, I'm fine with that, as long as they don't interfere with my life or tell me the correct way to behave. Similarly I won't tell them what they can do or preach to them.

Personally I would be disgusted by another man having sex with my wife or being pegged, or having anal sex with a woman, but that's my business. If others enjoy these things then fantastic.

Live and let live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Bobblehats wrote: »
    I don’t mind indulging, if it generates laughs but if he is erect and I am the reason then I’m out of the game. Absolutely petrified of being the stimulus for another man’s stiffy

So if he jumped up on you (fully erect), would you leave him there or pull him off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

The poster is saying that he is repulsed. That’s a true fact of nature for him. If he doesn’t act on it or it doesn’t affect his voting etc what is it to you.

Not much. I'm not a gay man.

I think it's extreme (at the very least clunky) to describe a sign of affection between two gay men as 'repulsive'. The adjective 'repulsive' has, as I'm sure you and others know yourselves, fairly negative connotations. If I were a gay man, I would not be impressed.

It's as odd to me as someone describing a mother cuddling her child as repulsive; it's a fairly natural thing to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I haven't.

Any women I know insist on draping themselves around and becoming best friends with any gay man within a three mile radius.

Strange strange behaviour.
    I've seen that too . And women with a gay man friend who drop that fact into every conversation like they should be patted on the head for being so liberal. Though not so much mention of 'my lesbian friend'. I find it fcuking weird to have 'gay friends 'as opposed to friends who just happen to be gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Really? Did you vote in the referendum?

What about your daughter (hypothetical if you don't have one)?

Do you not like gay marriage or is it okay?

Lol.

Straight in with the third-degree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

wiggle16 wrote: »
    It would seem to me to be more about preserving a self-image of masculinity. Boys tend to learn/teach one another from a young age that being gay is unmanly and feminine and therefore negative, and that male intimacy is a sign of this. Homophobic men tend to find the idea of being associated with a gay man threatening to this self-image.

Girls don't place as much emphasis on sexuality as a marker of identity and don't feel threatened by gay men. I don't have an explanation for why women have never had as much vitriol for lesbians as men have had for gay men, but it's probably related to the above.
    I think it's because even on a sub conscious level, men see other men as a threat and a gay man is a threat sexually. Men in general are not threatened by women because they can over power them. Another man is an equal and that means being wary of him.
    padd b1975 wrote: »
    I haven't.

Any women I know insist on draping themselves around and becoming best friends with any gay man within a three mile radius.

Strange strange behaviour.
    Women love a gay BFF because he is safe. She doesn't have to worry that he's ever going to develop romantic feelings for her or will try to shag her. Some women can be homophobic against lesbians because they don't feel as comfortable and are afraid the lesbian might come onto them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

cjmc wrote: »
    I've seen that too . And women with a gay man friend who drop that fact into every conversation like they should be patted on the head for being so liberal. Though not so much mention of 'my lesbian friend'. I find it fcuking weird to have 'gay friends 'as opposed to friends who just happen to be gay.
    Oh and these women with their 'gay' man friends are invariably late 30's -40's and single

It's as odd to me as someone describing a mother cuddling her child as repulsive; it's a fairly natural thing to see.

Except that it’s not. Not yet anyway. It’s still rather uncommon and entirely without occasion in many places around Ireland.

Change takes time, understanding, patience. You can’t just will things to be the way you hope they become and declare it to be so, today.

So, no, it’s not a natural thing to see. In time, perhaps so.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,366 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I remember when I was around 12ish a few people were identified as gay or possibly gay and when we went into secondary school they all seemed to pal up with girls mainly or the more emo type lads and I feel a division may have started happening then.
    I never found people were very homophobic apart from one guy really but it was mainly casual homophobia.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Some of my sisters are homophobes, you should hear what they have to say about it, potty mouths the lot of them.

It is the same reason why women are phobic about spiders. Deep down they are afraid that the spiders will sneak into them when they are sleeping and start a new life there.

Similarly men who are afraid of gayness are afraid of the lack of control it evokes. The concept of other men removing their clothes vigoursly, whilst simultaneously wearing the lips off them passionately, can give heterosexual males the Heeby Geebies, this can become a barrier to the early stages of homosexual attraction.

While women are creeped out by arachnids, it is the big fat engorging Phallus of their fellow man that the hetero male lies in fear of. The stark reality of a hot sweaty hairy male, gripping him by the shoulders, biting the back of his neck, as he is thrust deeper and deeper into the mattress..... this manages to creep them out.

It can be a problem for some men out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

cjmc wrote: »
    Oh and these women with their 'gay' man friends are invariably late 30's -40's and single

I know a few of these, they've by now squandered any chance of conceiving with a partner (much as they wanted it) , because they went out at night with the gay couple, on holidays, did everything together. 3 or 4 girls and the 2 lads. I set chaps up with them, but was usually short-lived, as they were comparing the infant relationship with a 20yr old friendship with a gay male friend. I'd go out with them with my now wife, notice lads check them out, clock the gay lads, and move on.

Now, they find themselves at the wrong side of 45, realising all those great nights at the gay club, while fabulous, and great fun, have cost them the chance of kids. Only now they're regretting it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    It is the same reason why women are phobic about spiders. Deep down they are afraid that the spiders will sneak into them when they are sleeping and start a new life there.

Similarly men who are afraid of gayness are afraid of the lack of control it evokes. The concept of other men removing their clothes vigoursly, whilst simultaneously wearing the lips off them passionately, can give heterosexual males the Heeby Geebies, this can become a barrier to the early stages of homosexual attraction.

While women are creeped out by arachnids, it is the big fat engorging Phallus of their fellow man that the hetero male lies in fear of. The stark reality of a hot sweaty hairy male, gripping him by the shoulders, biting the back of his neck, as he is thrust deeper and deeper into the mattress..... this manages to creep them out.

:pac: :pac: :pac: this is horrific but I'm píssing myself haha

• Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

IAMAMORON wrote: »

That would creep anyone out if it happened to them I'd imagine because it sounds like rape

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

For the men who are homophobic, a lot of fear is based on them not wanting to be penetrated by the gay man who they don't like.

A massive flaw in that logic is that the gay man may not even look twice at him or find him in any remote way sexually attractive! So its a non-issue. Its mad how many straight men think that, just because a man is gay, that they are automatically attracted to them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

For the men who are homophobic, a lot of fear is based on them not wanting to be penetrated by the gay man who they don't like...

We'd much prefer to be penetrated by gay man whom we like.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

For the men who are homophobic, a lot of fear is based on them not wanting to be penetrated by the gay man who they don't like.

A massive flaw in that logic is that the gay man may not even look twice at him or find him in any remote way sexually attractive! So its a non-issue. Its mad how many straight men think that, just because a man is gay, that they are automatically attracted to them...

unless he was in prison why would a man fear this? it seems to be just a way of smearing someone

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

it's so mainstream now yawn...back in the day with the cottaging, Polari, Cruising starring Al Pacino...now there was a sub culture a man could get behind

• Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

silverharp wrote: »
    unless he was in prison why would a man fear this? it seems to be just a way of smearing someone

Just because someone is gay doesn't mean the odd one can't be a leech and try feel someone up just like some straight lads do to women.

Al Porter comes to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Just because someone is gay doesn't mean the odd one can't be a leech and try feel someone up just like some straight lads do to women.

Al Porter comes to mind.

You got that one in nicely, never miss an opportunity...

Advertisement