Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasp Plague

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I’ve heard that as well, D.

Supposedly they have a “scent” in their body that is released when you squash one and it “sticks” to you.

Then when another wasp gets a whiff they just go for you.

No idea whether it’s true or not.

A dying wasp emits a chemical that tells other wasps to be on the look-out. You don't carry the scent on you. If you're going to kill one do it quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Jeez I hope with global warming Mosquitoes don't start really thriving here, or there will be some crying and whinging, judging by those threads

If they do you will see what a real hellish creature is and how harmless wasps really are!.

You will certainly appreciate wasps after you have met the Mossies :D

archer22 wrote: »
    Jeez I hope with global warming Mosquitoes don't start really thriving here, or there will be some crying and whinging, judging by those threads

If they do you will see what a real hellish creature is and how harmless wasps really are!.

You will certainly appreciate wasps after you have met the Mossies :D

We already have twenty species of mosquito thriving in Ireland.

We already have twenty species of mosquito thriving in Ireland.

I would not class them as "thriving" there are only tiny populations here compared to other places.

archer22 wrote: »
    I would not class them as "thriving" there are only tiny populations here compared to other places.

And as far as I am aware the Aedes Mosquito has not yet arrived here.

I have to disagree. I studied them. Culex pipiens for instance are abundant near water or marshy areas throughout the country. Anopheles plumbeus, which can transmit malaria were record in Dublin, Shannon, Cork, Waterford and Limerick in a limited survey of 2017. No records yet of Aedes species, which has been linked to the Zika virus.
    But, to reiterate, we have plenty of species of mosquito and they are certainly thriving.

• Advertisement

I have to disagree. I studied them. Culex pipiens for instance are abundant near water or marshy areas throughout the country. Anopheles plumbeus, which can transmit malaria were record in Dublin, Shannon, Cork, Waterford and Limerick in a limited survey of 2017. No records yet of Aedes species, which has been linked to the Zika virus.
    But, to reiterate, we have plenty of species of mosquito and they are certainly thriving.

Aedes though is the real plague species, I believe they have reached Europe.

In some countries along the tropics there are literally hordes of them spreading many diseases including Malaria, Dengue, Chikungunya and Zika.

And apart from all that they are active day and night...in places like south East Asia you are lucky if you can go a day without being bitten numerous times.
    And you rarely see them attacking you and never feel the bite until after they have departed as they inject some kind of natural anesthetic when they bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dennyk

Mosquitoes definitely suck. I'm one of those people they *really* like, as well. Back in Atlanta the bastards used to literally camp outside my door just waiting for me to come out. My next-door neighbour would be sitting out there with no shirt on for hours and they wouldn't give him a glance, but I'd pop out for thirty seconds to get the mail from the box and ten minutes later I'd have a dozen new welts swelling up on every inch of exposed skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dragona

Only killed 13 today yay. Bring on the cold so the little fukcers DIE. I'm doing my best to hurry them along to the hell where they belong.Wasp hell.

dennyk wrote: »
    Mosquitoes definitely suck.

:pac:

dragona wrote: »
    Only killed 13 today yay. Bring on the cold so the little fukcers DIE. I'm doing my best to hurry them along to the hell where they belong.Wasp hell.

Over two hundred in traps since yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Absolutely plagued by the little fcukers today:mad:..They are having a very good year

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

still not seen a wasp out here the entire summer. :):) Plenty of bees and the occasional dragonfly but no wasps/// NB the midges more than make up for them though :eek: This is known as one of the top midge spots in West Mayo..

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭thelostboys23

Got stung by a bee many years ago in dublin....€50 for a jar of honey :-)

Advertisement