Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasp Plague

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,289 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They're nasty, evil violent ****ers. They've put me in hospital twice, in intensive care on one occasion. They cost me €150 a year in prescriptions and adrenaline auto-injectors. I take enormous pleasure in watching them die. I find the spray killer is good for a slow painful death.

You sound like a seriel killer.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Bees are grand little fellas and do great - and critically important - work pollinating plants and crops and won’t bother you if you leave them alone.

Wasps, on the other hand, are horrible little feckers who make it their business to harass and annoy you and IMO the only good wasp is a dead wasp.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Wasps are EVERYWHERE at the moment!!!
    Good, it's not just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

shesty wrote: »
    Good, it's not just me.

wasp free here! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

shesty wrote: »
    Good, it's not just me.

Yes, as expected following the weather last summer, which suited wasps but not bumble bees - although the bumble bee seems to have come back somewhat this.
    Wasps are countrywide in numbers this year and close to pest levels in some areas.

• Advertisement

Bobblehats wrote: »
    That’s a really big thumb.

Wasps don't have thumbs, silly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Akabusi wrote: »
    I don't get peoples reaction when a wasp comes near them, the sting is quite mild, maybe 1 level up from a nettle

Is it not that sore?

I've never been stung by a bee or a wasp before. A friend of mine got stung on her lip before. I'd say that was sore. Her bottom lip was like a balloon!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭De Bellem

After posting earlier on this thread, A wasp climbed up the armchair and stung me in the elbow.
    I thought I had just scratched myself too hard while watching a game but I didnt know what had really happened
    It was only when he was coming back, climbing the chair again for a second time
    that I realised I had been stung by the same wasp earlier. its painful but
    the worst thing is that itch which follows in the next day or two and that almighty urge to sctatch it .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Tammy! wrote: »
    Is it not that sore?

I've never been stung by a bee or a wasp before. A friend of mine got stung on her lip before. I'd say that was sore. Her bottom lip was like a balloon!

OUCH! The sting on my head was very very sore..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Had an encounter with one today while having my lunch outside at work, he landed on the coffee cup I was holding, walked around the rim then had a peak into the cup, came back out and walked up my arm almost to the elbow before turning around and flying off.

And this is what people are so terrified of :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dom40

i was back in donegal last week and the wasps were everywhere,as soon as you opened a door or a window they pounced,we walked down the street and they just kept annoying us thankfully none of us got stung,everywhere we went there was a bloody wasp,the only time we got left alone was when it rained which was very often,back in the south east of england and i have only seen a couple of wasps in a week and thats with my doors and windows open all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

archer22 wrote: »
    Had an encounter with one today while having my lunch outside at work, he landed on the coffee cup I was holding, walked around the rim then had a peak into the cup, came back out and walked up my arm almost to the elbow before turning around and flying off.

And this is what people are so terrified of :rolleyes:

He probably didn't like the look of the piss that you pass off as coffee and fecked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Bees are grand little fellas and do great - and critically important - work pollinating plants and crops and won’t bother you if you leave them alone.

Wasps, on the other hand, are horrible little feckers who make it their business to harass and annoy you and IMO the only good wasp is a dead wasp.

They certainly are.
    My youngest noticed that there seems to be loads of different types of bees in our garden .He googled it and apparently there are over a 100 types.

One of the bees has a red patch on the end of his body.He's known as red arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

He probably didn't like the look of the piss that you pass off as coffee and fecked off.

Well it was Lidl coffee so maybe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Having got up to pee at 4am this morning to find 5 wasps in my bathroom(window was left open and light on for the kids)
    Excruciating Pain i tell you trying to kill the little feckers with a rolled up paper while the other 4 are dive bombing the **** outta you
    And all during this time your trying your best not to piss yourself as your bladder is turning purple....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I find if they are left alone they just go about their business and cause no hassle.

Do they fûck... I was stung for the first time last year around this time, I was sitting under a tree in the park, minding my own business and got it in the neck...painful, little prick..:mad: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Strumms wrote: »
    Do they fûck...

Yeah here they’re not bumble bees.

Bad as some people may find a wasp sting, bumblebee stings are much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

That’s what you get for provoking one. I stroke their furry backs and put them in a state of calm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Aw man, the little ****ers are driving us around the bloody twist for the last couple of weeks, they don't seem to be as bad the last 2/3 days though. But last Thursday morning we woke up to an invasion of the little bastard's in the kitchen/playroom ( like idiots we forgot about the Wasps going to bed and we left the window open for the cat to go out). We squished 23 and hoovered up another 15 or so in the playroom as soon as we got up and we got another few during the day, all in all around about 50 of them met their demise in our house Thursday.

We haven't been able to open a window or door in the house and even letting the dogs in and out is a managed operation to make sure the door is open for as short of a time as possible.

We've never had such a problem with Wasps before.

• Advertisement

Bobblehats wrote: »
    That’s what you get for provoking one. I stroke their furry backs and put them in a state of calm
    I have picked up and handled hundreds of bumble bees and gave courses on them but have accentually squashed one while weeding a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Ah here what the hell are ya doing to get a sting from a bee.

You can literally view them from millimeters away and they just go about their business!

Wasps on the other hand are the work of the devil.

Once it hits this time of year I don’t bother bbq’ing or sitting outside for food/drink. Just too much hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

Was fixing fencing at a Equestrian centre in Limerick and ran across a underground hive of wasps. I was stung so many times that my speech was slurred so was sent home. Now despite the golf ball size stings, I am enjoying my Jameson and a Cuban from Cahill's.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ltd440

My oh friend cycles every where and yesterday got stung 3 times on her eyelid, Jesus h christ I don't think I'd ever cycle again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dragona

I'm in Mullingar and killing 20/30 of the little fukcers a day.

But I read somewhere that if you kill one they send a message to the others and then they come after you even more. I'm still going to kill the little bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Have to laugh at the people who suggest a live and let live approach to wasps.
    They're crawling on my burger and abseiling down the neck of my beer ffs!

As someone who's deathly allergic to them what do you suggest I do? Set another table for the fcukers as a peace offering?

No, death is the only answer! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

2 large hives of wasp already this summer - one in the architrave above the sitting room window and another in a feed bin. And their were hundreds in each one. Vicious cnuts too. You couldnt go within 5 feet of the them tbh. Both removed as posed safety risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,289 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I don't know how painful a wasp sting is but I was stung by a bumble bee when I was about 10 and it certainly did hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

If you go to electric picnic you pretty much become immune to wasps, it's their last big session before the end of the summer they swarm the kip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

dragona wrote: »
    I'm in Mullingar and killing 20/30 of the little fukcers a day.

But I read somewhere that if you kill one they send a message to the others and then they come after you even more. I'm still going to kill the little bastards.

I’ve heard that as well, D.

Supposedly they have a “scent” in their body that is released when you squash one and it “sticks” to you.

Then when another wasp gets a whiff they just go for you.

No idea whether it’s true or not.

The tide is turning…

Advertisement