Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasp Plague

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

This time of the year they are no longer required to work in the nest so now there out on the run starving looking for some sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Akabusi wrote: »
    I don't get peoples reaction when a wasp comes near them, the sting is quite mild, maybe 1 level up from a nettle

I stood on one once, the pain was awful. Much worse than a nettle. We had one in the kitchen the other day, both of us just transfixed waiting for it to fly out the window. Hate the things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Nokotan wrote: »
    I stood on one once, the pain was awful. Much worse than a nettle. We had one in the kitchen the other day, both of us just transfixed waiting for it to fly out the window. Hate the things.

Did you ever stand on a nettle?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Akabusi wrote: »
    Did you ever stand on a nettle?

I've had plenty of nettle stings, never stood on one though, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,682 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Killing them non stop, hundreds of them around. Every 2 minutes there is one to be killed.

Bee's are great, they don't want a fight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

My mother used to smear jam on the outside and down the inside of a jar and then fill the jar with water. Drowned loads of them and kept them out of the house.
    The windfalls under our apple tree are literally moving with the number of wasps on them at present. Afraid to even try to walk to the clothes line without a swatter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

archer22 wrote: »
    IMO most people get stung because they start flailing their arms and trying to swat the wasp when it comes near them.
    I have never been stung by a wasp and I am pretty sure the reason is because I never panic when they come near me.

I have been stung twice when minding my own business so i will 100% run away screaming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

bluewolf wrote: »
    I have been stung twice when minding my own business so i will 100% run away screaming

You must have had an argument with them sometime earlier :D

Actually on that note, sometimes people can get stung because of the actions of others...I remember an incident here years ago where kids walking home from school got badly stung multiple times.

Turned out some clown had tried to burn out a wasp nest on his hedge a few hours earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

rn wrote: »
    Observing a nest in my garden that has my dog plagued. The dog dug a hole at boundary wall that exposed a gap in plaster in a 9inch cavity block wall... And wasps moved in this summer.

The dog, of course, can't help but attack/play with the nest at least once per day because she loves the hole she dug. She's a golden retriever, so very thick coat of hair. Anyway the wasps land on back of her neck, between shoulders and calmly burry down into her long hair to sting her. Meanwhile she's leaping about demented.

You are taking a big risk. If a dog gets stung in the mouth or throat you need to get it to a vet urgently before it's airway gets blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

OP red top fly traps.

Gets rid of lots of them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

Graces7 wrote: »
    One of my cats, many years ago, tried to eat a wasp... He screamed all the way , 30 miles, to the vets..
    I'm sure my dog has been stung multiple times, judging by her reaction to wasps. So far no immediate need to go to vet.

yPPSlXT.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

skinny90 wrote: »
    This time of the year they are no longer required to work in the nest so now there out on the run starving looking for some sugar

and like all sugar needy critters they are very irritable indeed.. feed them please!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭De Bellem

When wasps indulge in apples and windfall apples and the sugars in them have fermented. The result is a lot of drunken ( cider ) drinking
    wasps flying around angry and pissed and looking for more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Spent a few days down in Athlone and I have never seen the likes of the local wasps

Aggressive dive bombing types

You couldn’t sit out and drink and eat with their carry on

It’s so bad it would put tourists off the place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

Discodog wrote: »
    You are taking a big risk. If a dog gets stung in the mouth or throat you need to get it to a vet urgently before it's airway gets blocked.

I know, but there's not much I can do about it. I can't sit both sides down and mediate. I've fenced off the area temporarily.

I think the dog is getting stung by her reaction and I've not seen any lumps, but the silly dog keeps going back to nest. Anyway hopefully they'll be gone soon enough and won't be back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

I plugged up a nest in the garden with broken pegs. The amount of them ! Coming back trying to get in. Pixxed off when they couldn't and looking for me to kill me. Eventually they gave up though and it was never a nest again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I know, but there's not much I can do about it. I can't sit both sides down and mediate. I've fenced off the area temporarily.

I think the dog is getting stung by her reaction and I've not seen any lumps, but the silly dog keeps going back to nest. Anyway hopefully they'll be gone soon enough and won't be back next year.

Kill the Wasps. Get some wasp powder & puff it in the nest hole at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

still no wasps here; hordes of bees. and a dragonfly today..

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

I hate the little fcukers! Was down at the beach earlier with my niece and we had ice creams, which is like a big RED FLAG to them. I was chased by one for a good 50m down the beach, my niece found it very funny but the heart was put across me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They've discovered the apple trees here and are in their hundreds. I've put a few traps out and caught 60+ in two hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

I can't understand why so much hatred of Wasp's...Horse flies and midges are far worse, they really do come after you with ill intent.

And the worst of all the Mosquitoes seem to be increasing as well

Wasps on the other hand just check you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

archer22 wrote: »
    I can't understand why so much hatred of Wasp's...Horse flies and midges are far worse, they really do come after you with ill intent.

And the worst of all the Mosquitoes seem to be increasing as well

Wasps on the other hand just check you out.

The wasp doesn't need your understanding, if it wants to f*ck with you, you just need to accept it -

Jihyguy.jpg

https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/pollinators/animals/wasps.shtml

I'm shocked at the amount of people going out of their way to kill wasps. Scummy behaviour really.

Yes, Wasps are very important for pollinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/pollinators/animals/wasps.shtml

I'm shocked at the amount of people going out of their way to kill wasps. Scummy behaviour really.

Yes, Wasps are very important for pollinating.

Okay and correct to a point.

Pollenating work is now complete. Predatory action against aphids etc is now complete. These particular wasps are going to die with the first severe frosts. Their role in producing the next generation of wasps is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

victor8600 wrote: »
    Just so people know and be suitably afraid, here is a picture
    Giant-hornet.jpg

That’s a really big thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

victor8600 wrote: »
    Just so people know and be suitably afraid, here is a picture
    Giant-hornet.jpg

How big is that thumb though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

petes wrote: »
    How big is that thumb though!!

That’s a good question. Could be bilbo baggins’ thumb for all I know. In which case how big is the wasp

• Registered Users Posts: 16,289 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I don't mind seeing wasps around the place, they kill flies which is a good thing.

I find if they are left alone they just go about their business and cause no hassle.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Haha op I feel your pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I don't mind seeing wasps around the place, they kill flies which is a good thing.

I find if they are left alone they just go about their business and cause no hassle.

They're nasty, evil violent ****ers. They've put me in hospital twice, in intensive care on one occasion. They cost me €150 a year in prescriptions and adrenaline auto-injectors. I take enormous pleasure in watching them die. I find the spray killer is good for a slow painful death.

Advertisement