Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

The 25th is a pipe dream

Maybe, but what politicians care about more than anything is their career. There will come a point when he is dragging them all down, when previously safe seats are no longer safe. I think we are reaching this point fast.

As an example, Eric Swalwell and John Hickenlooper both pulled out of the Democratic Presidential race relatively early and have sustained very little reputational damage. Both are polling high for their respective potential positions. That point is approaching fast for those who don't want to go down with Trump's ship. We may see some defections soon I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

And to likely pile more pressure on the US to bail US industries out further, China have announced another round of tariffs to kick in from September 1st, with more to kick in from December:

https://www.ft.com/content/37f5900e-c5a1-11e9-a8e9-296ca66511c9

Those fiscal conservatives will obviously be up in arms about any further impact to the deficit :rolleyes:

This is going tit for tat: 02 Aug, US putting 10 % tariff on $300 Billion worth of Chinese imported goods in Sept. It seem, from the net, that China put its above tariff as a response charge to the forthcoming Sept US charge.

I cant access your F/T link [firewall] & tried separately with no joy. Did note in my efforts a mention that the F/T is a Nikkei Co.
    I can't see what the China tariffs rate is to be but assume its 10% as well on the $ 57 Billion worth of US imports to China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Yeah terrible putting US interests first. trade deficits increasing year after year. I think everyone knew eventually they had to face up to likes of Germany and china.

Americans love Chinese goods they are cheap. Rising prices only makes a recession more likely.

China can do battle with America, as it has less GNP debt and a growing customer base around the world.

The sheer stupidity of Trump to assume China won't respond to his tariffs. Naivety at it's worst. Then his outrage that they devalued their currency, accusing them of some fictitious crime.

He is so spectacularly unqualified for this job and anyone with a grain of intelligence is long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭amandstu

Trump is now threatening to cease all trade with China. China who is their largest trade partner at $636,000,000,000 a year.

"better off without them" he says.

Where is that?

• Advertisement

amandstu wrote: »
    Where is that?

Trump's twitter

I never realised they documented his comments here: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-marine-one-departure-60/

To think a quote like this will be recorded in US history:

"Well, they’ve been having this — these talks for hundreds of years, even under different names. But this is — but it’s Kashmir. And Kashmir is a very complicated place. You have the Hindus and you have the Muslims, and I wouldn’t say they get along so great. And that’s what you have right now" - President Donald Trump, August 21st, 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,630 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Not really, better off letting him have to pull back again on his big talk and use it against him come election time. He literally writes the campaign ads against him all by himself.

The 25th is a pipe dream

The senate doesn't enact the 25th amendment, it's the cabinet that starts it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So the debate has rumbled on on whether Trump can be considered an autocrat or not; I don't think this is a silver bullet or anything, but it certainly adds credence that he "thinks" being President means you just order things be done - and they're done.

Via the medium of Twitter, we have: "Our great American companies are hereby ordered to immediately start looking for an alternative to China..."

'Hereby ordered'? Good grief. Even if it were a joke, it's still a stupid joke.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1164914960046133249

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭amandstu

Trump's twitter

A pity. I can't stomach that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The senate doesn't enact the 25th amendment, it's the cabinet that starts it.

No chance or it happening. Ben Carson is too busy trying to find Wally and Betsy De Vos spend 90% of her time wandering around the West Wing looking for the toilet.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

aloyisious wrote: »
    This is going tit for tat: 02 Aug, US putting 10 % tariff on $300 Billion worth of Chinese imported goods in Sept. It seem, from the net, that China put its above tariff as a response charge to the forthcoming Sept US charge.

I cant access your F/T link [firewall] & tried separately with no joy. Did note in my efforts a mention that the F/T is a Nikkei Co.
    I can't see what the China tariffs rate is to be but assume its 10% as well on the $ 57 Billion worth of US imports to China.
    It's on 75bn of US imports, 5-10% on a list of various products which includes pork & nut products, with later tariffs to include various fabrics & food flavourings

• Registered Users Posts: 39,630 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Brian? wrote: »
    No chance or it happening. Ben Carson is too busy trying to find Wally and Betsy De Vos spend 90% of her time wandering around the West Wing looking for the toilet.

The toilet ? I'm guessing this is a way of describing the level of people he has in his cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

pixelburp wrote: »
    Via the medium of Twitter, we have: "Our great American companies are hereby ordered to immediately start looking for an alternative to China..."

'Hereby ordered'? Good grief.
    Crazy stuff! There's another massive embarrassment in store for the US when this fool spouts more absolute gibberish at the G7 in France this weekend.

How the mighty have fallen!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

duploelabs wrote: »
    One of the Koch brothers dies, that'll hurt the republicans

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49438682

Nah, some other oil tycoon/Russian industrialist/Brazilian farmer will just chip in a little more.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Crazy stuff! There's another massive embarrassment in store for the US when this fool spouts more absolute gibberish at the G7 in France this weekend.

How the mighty have fallen!

It's like watching Frank Spencer at the G7, you just know it will be a total disaster. Putin and Xi both off his Christmas card list now, as well as all US allies of Europe, Australia and New Zealand, all waiting for the next President to take office. Even Fox News is turning on him.

Kin Jong Un still a friend, despite all those recent missile launches.

Well, at least those of us in Europe escape this madness, apart from those nuclear weapons Russia are pointing towards us, as we found out yesterday.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I've been on the road and out of the loop most of the last month, but what on Earth started this whole Greenland idiocy to begin with? Why did it pop into his head?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

I've been on the road and out of the loop most of the last month, but what on Earth started this whole Greenland idiocy to begin with? Why did it pop into his head?

Strategically, Greenland forms part of what the US views as a key corridor for naval operations between the Arctic and the North Atlantic. It is also part of the broader Arctic region, considered strategically important because of its proximity to the US and economically vital for its natural resources.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/1735503/climate-change-turns-greenland-into-strategic-economic-hotspot#targetText=Strategically%2C%20Greenland%20forms%20part%20of,vital%20for%20its%20natural%20resources.

Build a US naval base? Could be a strategic plan brought to him by the Pentagon?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Part of it, from what I can gather, is that due to climate change (which doesn't really exist :rolleyes:) that a massive amount of ice is gone from Greenland & its exposed a pretty sizeable wealth of natural resources

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nobody knows for sure; it wasn't even official policy, it only came to light via yet another WH leak to a newspaper and that it was an idea he fixated on intermittently. Several figures adjacent to Trump confirmed the reports that he was spitballing it. Obviously it came back to Denmark and Greenland, and IMO handled the situation as gracefully and diplomatically as could be expected. In the interim Trump had a pop at Denmark's NATO spending (again making it sound like a protection racket), before announcing on Twitter that a state visit to Denmark was cancelled - later claiming the Greenland rejection was "nasty", when it was anything but.

It's presumed the whole idea revolved around either some military reason (though they already have a base there), or real estate / fossil fuel related, which IMO is the more likely. Trump is a real estate tycoon, it would track.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    And does any of Trumps sycophants find any fault with Sarah Huckabee Sanders joining Fox News straight from her White House gig ?

Not that such immediate employment had ANNYTHING to do with her previous attempts at denying truth at the White House!

So SHS gets a gig on Fox... Poor old Sean Spicer must do with Dancing with the Stars...

Jeez, Stephen King couldn't write this .

Andrew McCabe is getting a gig with CNN. Seems about par for course these days.

• Advertisement

It's not a crazy idea at heart. Climate change will turn Greenland into a hospitable environment eventually, 70 years or so. It is rich in rare elements and natural consumable resources.

What is crazy is Trump's demented mind thinking he can buy it. It also is at odds with his denial of climate change, when it seems now he knows it to be true. That is the most disturbing part of this. That he is lying to everyone and allowing and enabling climate change to accelerate.

An intelligent President would engage Denmark into an offer of shouldering the economic support of Greenland with a view to sharing the spoils of the natural resources. Instead Trump called the Danish PM "nasty" and embarrassed himself worldwide hours before he goes to the G7 summit.

The rest is just a distraction from his terrible polling and his certain defeat in November 2020. Denmark is so yesterday. Check his twitter to update yourself.

The man is unhinged. He is wholly insulting women, jews and lgbt in the last 48 hours. He is shedding votes like a dog sheds hairs. Not a hope in hell he will serve another term, not a hope in hell.

And the cuffs are waiting for him, as per Mueller's testimony.

America will find redemption for decades when Trump is led away in handcuffs. THAT is the moment America changes forever. That is the moment the nostalgic middle aged white man no longer runs America. Just 16 months to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Andrew McCabe is getting a gig with CNN. Seems about par for course these days.

Are you really equating the two? :confused:

JFC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

everlast75 wrote: »
    Are you really equating the two? :confused:

JFC
    Nope, just pointing out how quickly some join the networks. Seems quicker than it was during the Obama administration.

Nope, just pointing out how quickly some join the networks. Seems quicker than it was during the Obama administration.

Andrew McCabe was fired two days from retirement after 22 years working in the FBI. To paint him as a mercenary after 22 years in the FBI is both laughable and pathetic.

Thank god you're back. We haven't had someone credible defend Trump's idiotic and dangerous actions for days.

Off you go then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,115 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1164914610836783104?s=19

He is now saying that the man he picked is more dangerous to the US than a foreign adversary dictator!?

Dow Jones crushed again. Instability and insecurity abounds. All his mouthing about the economy, the stock market, all gone now. The US in a state of total confusion, total disgrace. A mess, a total mess.
    Even his staunch defenders are gone now. It is a catastrophe.
    Can we have an apology from Manic Moran for backing this total idiot? Manic Moran backed his gun policy before the murders in Dayton and El Paso. Manic Moran, are you going to apologise for your backing of Trump before these mass murders?

No?

Didn't think so.

Manic Moran blamed the father of the father and daughter drowned in that river. Manic Moran blamed the father for the death of his toddler daughter. This is what he said:

"Yes, he should have. So should have Obama before him. This mess has been festering for years, you may recall the border issue as being one of the signature issues which got Trump elected in the first place. Management by crisis seems to be standard operating procedure in a lot of the US, including the Federal Government.

I'm not sure where you're getting 'involved in the ongoing disgraceful treatment of children'. The problem is a lack of resources across the board. Insufficient patrolmen to both cover the open border and process personnel. Insufficient immigration judges to adjudicate asylum claims or handle deportation processes. Insufficient money and manpower to build adequate facilities. And so on. How can any legal measure taken to increase the resources available be a bad thing?"

He went on:

"Where's the stretch? The decision to remove the troops was made in direct response to Trump's describing the situation at the border as a crisis in the State of the Union address, and the politicians in question said as much. It seems to me that there is, in fact, a crisis at the border and the withdrawal of the troops was a stupid move made for purely political effect. What I am -not- saying is that the situation at the border as a whole is the fault of Democrats, they simply are not entirely free of blame for the staffing problem, and in the case of the Guard troops, directly responsible for that particular shortage. There is plenty enough blame to go around, the topic brought up by someone else was 'staffing'.

The few things the Guard cannot do are arrest migrants, process entrants at the border, and some of the associated paperwork. Everything else in the tail, from transporting materials, flying helicopters, running shooting qualification range and building or supporting the operation of detention centers, and whatever else you can think of to run an organisation is fair game. One border patrolman stuck in charge of the shooting range is one less patrolman able to process the applicants at a point of entry, resulting in the slower processing which led to the decision of Mr Martinez to cross the river. The fewer the guard engineers present, the slower centers can be expanded to take the capacity of the number of people detained. And so on. The use of the Guard is a short-term solution for a problem which can only be addressed over time by expansion of CBP, USCIS and HHS, but absent any better solutions being implemented, the politicization of the use of troops is part of the reason we now have the current problem."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

When China retaliates with tariffs it seems to take Trump by surprise.
    In this tweet he 'orders' american companies to look for alternatives to China.

Can you imagine this, a dictator that issues his dictates via Twitter?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1164914960046133249?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1164914960046133249&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2Fbusiness%2Flive-news%2Feconomy-china-jerome-powell%2Findex.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

BluePlanet wrote: »
    When China retaliates with tariffs it seems to take Trump by surprise.
    In this tweet he 'orders' american companies to look for alternatives to China.

Can you imagine this, a dictator that issues his dictates via Twitter?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1164914960046133249?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1164914960046133249&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2Fbusiness%2Flive-news%2Feconomy-china-jerome-powell%2Findex.html

He has no power to order companies to leave China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Sen. Tom Cotton claims to have been the originator of the idea, and says that he brought it to Trump following a meeting with the Danish Ambassador.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement