Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

So as he throws his Greenland chum into the water and laughs at the ensuing media frenzy what stories are barely being reported on?

"Migrant families who cross the southern border of the US illegally could be detained indefinitely under a new regulation announced by the Trump administration."

"Weakening of the endangered species act."

The media so want to portray him as an idiot they miss the real story. Every. F••king. Time.
    I wonder what will be done with all the migrants in captivity if he is voted out next year. Will they all be deported or released. Will all the families that have been split up be reunited etc. It could be a nightmare for the next administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,222 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

So as he throws his Greenland chum into the water and laughs at the ensuing media frenzy what stories are barely being reported on?

"Migrant families who cross the southern border of the US illegally could be detained indefinitely under a new regulation announced by the Trump administration."

"Weakening of the endangered species act."

The media so want to portray him as an idiot they miss the real story. Every. F••king. Time.

Not to mention rowing back on the promise of extended background checks for gun purchases following the recent mass shooter deaths in Dayton and El Paso

• Registered Users Posts: 14,107 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

duploelabs wrote: »
    Not to mention rowing back on the promise of extended background checks for gun purchases following the recent mass shooter deaths in Dayton and El Paso

Now in this case, certain media outlets/shows (O Donnell for example) have actually made the decision to not cover his initial lies in the aftermath of these events. They didn't bother covering his "I'm for universal background checks" lie because they, like all of us knew, it was total crap and would not stick.

He has done it before, he will do it again. In this case the media use there not covering of his initial bull**** to be able to highlight it later on in the news cycle when he inevitably does his 180

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Now in this case, certain media outlets/shows (O Donnell for example) have actually made the decision to not cover his initial lies in the aftermath of these events. They didn't bother covering his "I'm for universal background checks" lie because they, like all of us knew, it was total crap and would not stick.

He has done it before, he will do it again. In this case the media use there not covering of his initial bull**** to be able to highlight it later on in the news cycle when he inevitably does his 180

There's a Simpsons Tree House of horror episode where Bart is omnipotent and can change anything through will of mind, anyway when homer gets changed into a football during a televised match, the commentator says 'and what do we say when something strange happens, we're glad that Bart is good', or something to that effect.

Now apply that to Donnys batsh!t stuff he comes out with, like Greenland or Covfefe, it's on the press now to cop on to those distraction tactics, call it out for what it is, and go back to the more serious matters. Regain the control of the news cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

kowloon wrote: »
    Not one to support the moron, but the 'I am the chosen one' line was clearly a joke, focusing on it only takes the spotlight off the serious BS he spouts.

Clearly a joke? Really? On what basis was it clearly a joke? Did he laugh, did he say it was a joke, did the journalists laugh?

I agree that focusing on it does take away, but that he said about pretty much everything he says.

Sure he was only joking about Greenland. He was only joking about Russia hacking the DNC. He was only joking about immigrants.

Maybe, just maybe, if he really is this great leader that so many seem to think, maybe he should stop trying to pretend he is funny and start to take his job seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Sure he was only joking about Greenland. He was only joking about Russia hacking the DNC. He was only joking about immigrants.
    I'd love the press to follow up his every statement with "Was that a joke?", specially the so-called serious stuff (and even better if they did it when he was trying to be funny). It would have the added benefit of really pissing him off and would stop him trying to claim things as jokes in retrospect.

Of course, I know it won't happen but ...

they only focus on it at all because people like to watch it and laugh, either due to what he is saying being ridiculous, or because he is "triggering the libs" - either way people tune in.
    Exactly. Donald Trump "may not be good for America, but [he]’s damn good for CBS" as the head of CBS said.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,227 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

kowloon wrote: »
    Not one to support the moron, but the 'I am the chosen one' line was clearly a joke, focusing on it only takes the spotlight off the serious BS he spouts.

If he had not quoted someone calling him the King of Israel/Second Coming earlier, then yes - I would 100% agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,081 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I remember when the office of U.S. President had some substance; Trump really has made a mockery of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭looksee

'I am the chosen one' does not have to be a joke, or a suggestion that he is omnipotent. Without any suggestion of senility (I just had to wait several seconds for the word 'senility') an older person can find themself struggling for a word. When you are speaking in public and need to keep going it is much easier to grab a phrase that has lodged in your subconscious and use it. The inference might not be exactly what you are looking for - as in the god-like implications of the phrase he used - but its better than no phrase at all when you are under pressure. The 'King of Israel' comment could certainly have helped bring it to the front of his mind.

It does imply that a person with this issue should be careful not to speak extemporaneously in public on subjects that matter - ie if you are President of the US, for example, however it in no way reflects on their intelligence. Since Trump cannot resist waffling on about the first thing that falls into his head he does have a problem. In that case he was simply trying to say 'it has fallen to me to...' or 'I happen to be the person'.

This does not in any way change the fact that I think the man is a dangerous fool and a charlatan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

serfboard wrote: »
    I'd love the press to follow up his every statement with "Was that a joke?", specially the so-called serious stuff (and even better if they did it when he was trying to be funny). It would have the added benefit of really pissing him off and would stop him trying to claim things as jokes in retrospect.

Of course, I know it won't happen but ...

It happened a few days ago on the W/House lawn when he was talking to reporters about gun control and then switched to the voter fraud in 2016. A reporter asked him what voter fraud had to do with gun control. He didn't get an answer. It would help if more of his bleep moments and the polite challenges are caught on record, it might end the "I'm a busy man flying to and fro daily by copter" news release events, said appearances probably being a form of "fake news".

walshb wrote: »
    I remember when the office of U.S. President had some substance; Trump really has made a mockery of it.

Mockery is what GWB did, Trump has done decades of damage in international relations, lined his own pockets (and those of his cronies) from the American economy, degraded the level of discourse in politics, ensured partisanship in the judiciary, and I could go on. He's left a massive steamer on the desk in the oval office for his successor to clean up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭amandstu

There is so much information overload that we just pay no proper attention to his "joke" imposition of the Trump Tower in the Greenland landscape.

We try to get our heads around why on Earth this is going on at all and overlook that he is again conflating his private business interests with public office.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Christy42

amandstu wrote: »
    There is so much information overload that we just pay no proper attention to his "joke" imposition of the Trump Tower in the Greenland landscape.

We try to get our heads around why on Earth this is going on at all and overlook that he is again conflating his private business interests with public office.

Indeed. Scandal after scandal leaves little time for any one of them to bring him down. Sure how could "X" be a big deal, people only talked about it for 3 days. Yeah but that's cos he did Y.

The worst part of it all is that it isn't even a grand strategy. He seems to be a straight up idiot, like I think he is genuinely shocked and offended he just can't by Greenland.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Christy42 wrote: »
    Indeed. Scandal after scandal leaves little time for any one of them to bring him down. Sure how could "X" be a big deal, people only talked about it for 3 days. Yeah but that's cos he did Y.

The worst part of it all is that it isn't even a grand strategy. He seems to be a straight up idiot, like I think he is genuinely shocked and offended he just can't by Greenland.

I think it says more about his lack of empathy and understanding of human relationships and feelings.

He just sees a simple business transaction , the fact that Denmark might actually care about the people in Greenland is utterly lost on him.

He doesn't understand why they wouldn't want to at least hear the offer..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Is it true that Trump was put off his trip by an upcoming visit by his predecessor to Denmark and wanted to spark the Greenland farce as a way out of going without "losing face"? What a bizarre mind!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

check_six wrote: »
    Is it true that Trump was put off his trip by an upcoming visit by his predecessor to Denmark and wanted to spark the Greenland farce as a way out of going without "losing face"? What a bizarre mind!

It's been put forward as a possibly contributing factor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

Trump's (aka Stephen Miller) attempts to overrule the birthright citizenship gave me quite the flashback today. I remembered that a very wealthy ex of mine was born in Las Vegas. Her Athlone-born mother deliberately went on a two month holiday to the US so that she would be born there and, true enough, my ex had a US Passport and spend many a student summer in the US, while everyone else tried to get a J1 visa.

check_six wrote: »
    The petty nature of the man might surprise you until you remember he's got the maturity level of a four-year old. For him, it's about doing everything different to what "the black guy" did.

Also, don't forget how Obama very publicly humiliated Trump at the White House Correspondents dinner in 2011.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

serfboard wrote: »
    The petty nature of the man might surprise you until you remember he's got the maturity level of a four-year old. For him, it's about doing everything different to what "the black guy" did.

Also, don't forget how Obama very publicly humiliated Trump at the White House Correspondents dinner in 2011.

The Greenland thing is just guff, a diversion.

The real news is two things:
    1. Trump wants to remove the detention limit for immigrant children from 20 days to no limit
    2. US is in recession. Trump is piling on pressure to the Fed to decrease interest rates, hoping to postpone a recession to Q4 of 2020.

The consequences of detaining children without their parents and without limit is beyond the cruelty of the Nazis. The Nazis murdered them.

The world holds its breath and prays for Trump to be voted out in November 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

If Don FAILS TO GET RE-ELECTED next year, I'm waiting for the bloodletting in the GOP senior ranks when blame starts being allotted for it's failure. I'm assuming that there will be a party post-mortem to figure out what went wrong, whom to blame and how to put in changes to party candidate nomination rules to prevent a complete outsider from taking over the party for his/her own ends. Leastways I assume that would be the sensible thing for the GOP to do in the case of a failure to re-elect Don.

Thing is, can one resign from a senior management role within the GOP and still hold on to a seat in the US Senate or H-O-R? I assume that Don will say the buck doesn't stop at his desk and blame some one else for the failure, as usual.

If Mitch decides to retire some time early/mid next year, the writing will be on the wall in large print.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,107 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The US is not in recession and the hyperbole is not helpful on either side.

A recession is certainly looming, going to hit sometime in the next 6/18 months I would imagine.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭looksee

He is probably conflating 'the US could buy Greenland' with 'I could buy greenland' and after his presidency finishes he would be forever able to say 'yes I course the time I bought Greenland from the Danes...'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

duploelabs wrote: »

He hasn't rowed back. The proposals haven't even been released yet. He was asked questions on it yesterday and spoke about loopholes in the current backgrounds checking system and so obviously the intention is to address them in some fashion. Whatever the new measures I highly doubt it will please the unpleasable though.

About time too. That was the way it used to be before an Obama appointed judge stuck her oar in and caused much of the current issues by ordering that children had to be released within a 20-day time period. Those wishing to enter the USA illegally then began exploiting that 20-day limit.

It effectively incentivised bringing a child to the border which in turn resulted in a market being created whereby vulnerable children were/are rented out to those wanting to exploit the US immigration laws but who unfortunately did not have a child of their own to do so. This is why rapid DNA testing was recently tested at the border given the problem is so out of hand.

https://twitter.com/charlottecuthbo/status/1120413367670276096
    I wonder what will be done with all the migrants in captivity if he is voted out next year. Will they all be deported or released. Will all the families that have been split up be reunited etc. It could be a nightmare for the next administration.

You speak as if such issues are something unique to this administration. I assure you, they're not.

Clearly these issues have been going on for years at the US border (despite liberals worldwide acting like it's an issue unique to the Trump administration) and finally there is a POTUS willing to do what needs to be done in order to remedy it. Slamming that 20-day loophole shut is a great start. New barrier wall underway of course also a major positive. As too is Mexico doing more on their side in response to tariffs.

And all this achieved with congress pulling in the opposite direction too. Imagine what he could accomplish if he had their support.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It is interesting he threw a hissy fit over the word 'absurd' but then chooses to call people names himself, people who give insults but can't take simple criticism are mentally unaware or just plain stupid. He has to say he is the chosen one because he feels he needs to praise himself, he is very insecure...mentally weak..Kim Jong Un is playing him and waiting for him to exit office. Putin can't believe his luck, the Saudis know they can chop up a journalist and Trump will do nothing.
    He feels he can attack allies as he know they will not return the abuse, he is scared of dictators so he acts very weak towards them...

RobertKK wrote: »
    the Saudis know they can chop up a journalist and Trump will do nothing.
    In fairness to Trump, I can't see any American president doing anything different.

Except maybe expelling a few diplomats for a while before secretly re-admitting the same number later.

And it's one of the reasons why people like Trump - other Presidents would make solemn statements and pretend to give a sh1t, whereas Trump won't pretend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

What did you think of Trump's hissy fit with Denmark and his comments on the vast majority of American jews Outlaw Pete?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Missed this yesterday given the MSM spent much of the day lying about Trump calling the Danish PM nasty, but seems he signed an executive order wiping out $750m in federal student loan debt for disabled veterans:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1164331482397204481
    More than 25,000 disabled veterans will have their student debt forgiven, Trump said. The average balance that will be erased is around $30,000. The president said veterans will not be required to pay federal taxes on their forgiven debt.

Disabled service members are already entitled to student debt forgiveness under the U.S. Education Department’s total and permanent disability discharge option.

However, recent records revealed the government continues to seek repayment on $1 billion in student loans from more than 40,000 severely disabled veterans who have been deemed unable to work. More than 25,000 of them are in default and just 8,500 of them have applied for forgiveness.

Earlier this year, the Education Department attempted to make it easier for disabled veterans to apply for debt forgiveness by sending them notifications of their eligibility.

Now Trump’s action will automatically erase the debt of these veterans, a move advocates have long pushed for. They’ve said it’s challenging for many disabled veterans, some of whom are paralyzed or have traumatic brain injuries, to go through the burdensome process of applying for relief.

More great presidential actions from Donald J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

My guess is that he'll be on to something else other than birthright citizenship tomorrow.
    For all the talk about Greenland being a diversion, the birthright citizenship discussion is if anything a diversion from the Greenland story!

I think looking back in a few years, the Greenland story will hold its own on a list of Trumps worst moments.
    It's an all time example of sheer lunacy from a US president.
    Refusing to visit an ally because they won't sell him part of their country.
    That is such a crazy line to write.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So Teump undertook the largest tax giveaway ever promising supercharged growth would pay for it and now he is complaining that people are talking up the recession?

So instead of 5% growth a fee journalists can destroy it all? And wasn't Trump elected on the basis of being such a great businessman that only he could deliver increased growth?

A total failure, and an extremely expensive one at that for the future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement