Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ryanair discusion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭sporina

Kat1170 wrote: »
    A printout of the app is different from a printout of the PDF from the website and is not acceptable printed out.

seriously? so i need to print out the one from the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭billie1b

sporina wrote: »
    seriously? so i need to print out the one from the website?

No not seriously, a printout of the QR code from the app is 100% acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kat1170

App one will have a QR code on it, web ticket has a barcode. Don't know why.
    I always bring both. Phones get broken, batteries get drained, tickets get wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kat1170

billie1b wrote:
    No not seriously, a printout of the QR code from the app is 100% acceptable

Could have sworn I read otherwise.

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Could have sworn I read otherwise.

Both types of printouts and app are fully accepted 100% at all airports used by Ryanair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Ryanair loses High Court battle over pilots strike - but says flights will go ahead

https://news.sky.com/story/ryanair-avoids-mass-cancellations-despite-pilots-strike-11790735

Ryanair loses High Court battle over pilots strike - but says flights will go ahead
    Shortly before it was defeated in the High Court, Ryanair said it had drafted in enough extra pilots to cover its flights.

By Ed Clowes, business reporter

Wednesday 21 August 2019 18:39,

Ryanair has lost a High Court battle to stop pilots from going on strike - but says flights will go ahead as scheduled on Thursday and Friday.

In a statement posted on Twitter, the airline said that it had been able to draft in enough pilots to operate a full schedule.

"Thanks to the great work and volunteerism of the vast majority of our UK based pilots, Ryanair now expects to operate its full schedule of flights to/from our UK airports," it said.

Hitting out at striking pilots, the low-cost airline accused captains of making "unreasonable pay demands" just weeks before the UK is set to leave the EU.

These demands could "severely damage Ryanair's business and UK pilot jobs", the airline claimed.

A similar strike planned by Ryanair pilots in Ireland was derailed earlier when the Irish High Court approved Ryanair's request to halt the industrial action.

Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary has told staff that the airline is planning to cut jobs

Welcoming the court's decision, the airline told passengers that all scheduled flights from Ireland would now depart as normal.

Ryanair pilots in both the UK and Ireland voted to strike earlier this month in a row over working conditions.

The pilots' union has planned two walkouts - the first from 22-23 August, and the second from 2-4 September.

On Wednesday morning, Ryanair announced that it had applied to the UK High Court for a last minute injunction to prevent an "unjustified strike by a small minority of UK pilots".

In response, the British Airline Pilots Association (Balpa) said that in seeking an injunction, Ryanair had "blown the chance of finding a resolution" before Thursday's walkout, accusing the airline of using "bullying tactics".

"Because Ryanair has wasted time with unnecessary court action, their chance to resolve the dispute involving their pilots has been lost", a statement from the trade union said.

Balpa said its pilots were upset with working conditions at Ryanair, specifically citing the loss of benefits such as maternity leave, pensions, and licence insurance.

Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary told staff earlier this summer that the airline was planning to cut a number of jobs, blaming the "increasing likelihood" of a no-deal Brexit and the worldwide grounding of the Boeing 737 Max for creating uncertainty.

The 737 Max's software is being investigated after the jet was involved in two deadly crashes just months apart.

Mr O'Leary said in a video message to Ryanair staff: "We already have a surplus of over 500 pilots and some 400 cabin crew.

"We will need about 600 less pilots and cabin crew for summer 2020."

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

billie1b wrote: »
    They have called in Pilots from all over the network to be based there for them 2 day, pilots that are getting and extra €800-€1000 bonus per day to do it and that are on an agency contract so are not allowed to join the union, vote for strike action or call sick the days of strikes as they will be called in for a meeting to discuss their absence with sanctions up to and including dismissal. Amazing company to be contracted to with threats like that.

Good for them if it means that thousands of ordinary folk can't be used as pawns for gain.

If you cast your mind back to 2007, one of the years when Aer Lingus was being ravaged by strikes or threats of strikes, you will recall that they didn't hire in pilots. Instead, they hired in spare Ryanair aircraft and crews. No difference really. On that occasion IALPA said that they had no difficulty with Ryanair planes being used by Aer Lingus and Mr. Cullen himself said that they had written to other pilots' unions worldwide asking them to cooperate with Aer Lingus if asked, in order to reduce the impact on customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Can you please explain this post better? Ryanair proposed the current mediator who is in place for a range of disputes and the union accepted it.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1020231106036191232
    You need to be careful what you wish for.

Note the date: 20th July 2018
    The Union called for a third party before Ryanair proposed one. If a third party isn't a mediator then what is he or she? Bystander?

3rd August; Ryanair acceded to their demand.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/top-mediator-kieran-mulvey-called-in-by-ryanair-in-bid-to-resolve-pilots-strikes-37181631.html

Summer-time for flights for family holidays doesn’t end until near the end of October in Ireland and the UK, if you knew anything about the business you’d know that.

I know that family members could only travel to meet me before the new School
    year started which not coincidentally is when prices for air fares are highest and I don't travel myself in August to meet family and friends as prices are higher and the chances are they'll be off on holidays in August.

dubdaymo wrote: »
    Good for them if it means that thousands of ordinary folk can't be used as pawns for gain.

If you cast your mind back to 2007, one of the years when Aer Lingus was being ravaged by strikes or threats of strikes, you will recall that they didn't hire in pilots. Instead, they hired in spare Ryanair aircraft and crews. No difference really. On that occasion IALPA said that they had no difficulty with Ryanair planes being used by Aer Lingus and Mr. Cullen himself said that they had written to other pilots' unions worldwide asking them to cooperate with Aer Lingus if asked, in order to reduce the impact on customers.

Regardless of ordinary folk, I still fully support Ryanair pilots and cabin crew and ground workers too. The Aer Lingus hire-in was different back then, as in it wasn’t a hire-in, Ryanair had shares in Shamrock at the time, so it was in their interests for little disruption as possible to save as little impact on their bottom line. Everything about Ryanair is about money and how to gain as much as possible, whilst treating their staff like something you would step on!

• Advertisement

Regardless of ordinary folk, I still fully support Ryanair pilots and cabin crew and ground workers too. The Aer Lingus hire-in was different back then, as in it wasn’t a hire-in, Ryanair had shares in Shamrock at the time, so it was in their interests for little disruption as possible to save as little impact on their bottom line. Everything about Ryanair is about money and how to gain as much as possible, whilst treating their staff like something you would step on!
    1. Do you mean you are disregarding thousands of ordinary folk being discommoded for gain?

2. Of course it was a hire-in. Commercial rates were paid by Aer Lingus and it is now also in Ryanair's interest in this dispute for as little disruption as possible to save as little impact on their bottom line as well as having their customers travel to their destinations. I see nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

1. Do you mean you are disregarding thousands of ordinary folk being discommoded for gain?

Why do you put yourself through it..?
    This is now the third year of disruption and uncertainty caused by crewing issues or industrial unrest, this court ruling does nothing to address the IR problems that exist, they're clearly still simmering beneath the surface and liable to resurface at any time.
    Ryanair would be better served trying to resolve the the underlying cause of the problem instead of running to the courts trying to cure the symptoms of it.
    I certainly wouldn't trust them with my holiday travel plans for the time being and I have very little sympathy for anyone who does and then moans about the disruption and chaos they're put through when something like this happens.

Ryanair would be better served trying to resolve the the underlying cause of the problem instead of trying running to the courts trying to cure the symptoms of it.
    They are addressing the underlying issue but Unions won't be part of their implemented solution.

Why do you put yourself through it..?
    Not putting myself through anything. I do very few flights these days and have no flights booked.
    I certainly wouldn't trust them with my holiday travel plans for the time being and I have very little sympathy for anyone who does and then moans about the disruption and chaos they're put through when something like this happens.
    That's fair enough. That's your choice and you can obviously afford the higher fare airlines. History has shown that you are, from time to time, at the mercy of "ALPA's" whether it it be BA, Aer Lingus, Lufthansa, Air France etc. so you pays your money. My sympathies are always with the pawns :).

Not putting myself through anything. I do very few flights these days and have no flights booked.

That's fair enough. That's your choice and you can obviously afford the higher fare airlines. History has shown that you are, from time to time, at the mercy of "ALPA's" whether it it be BA, Aer Lingus, Lufthansa, Air France etc. so you pays your money. My sympathies are always with the pawns :).

Indeed, and when those companies are going through similar IR strife I try and avoid them too.

The "higher fare airlines" reference in your post is a bit of a straw man argument, I took three short haul trips to UK and Europe on my own dime this year and in each case I chose a Aer Lingus instead of Ryanair and in each case it cost me €20 more (or approximately the cost of a carry on bag and priority boarding). I did this not because I'm rich and I like throwing my money around but because I didn't want to risk missing the trips, I don't enjoy the whole queueing up a half an hour before my aircraft is ready for boarding (and a half an hour on the stairs waiting for them to open the door), and I don't enjoy the whole 'will they or won't they' try to charge me extra for my bag because it's an ounce heavier than the limit, and I'll gladly pay a premium to avoid these things. Don't try and turn it into something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭sporina

in short - what were/are the differences between the Irish and UK RA demands?

i know that the Irish union didn't follow correct procedure - but why didn't wasn't the UK strike averted? objective information please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

sporina wrote: »
    in short - what were/are the differences between the Irish and UK RA demands?

i know that the Irish union didn't follow correct procedure - but why didn't wasn't the UK strike averted? objective information please

Demands are very similar. Improved terms and conditions which Ryanair still refuse to implement.

The UK judge was content with the method used to ballot for strike action.
    The Irish judge seemed to require information that is not normally required from a union when balloting. i.e. a full account of correspondence sent to IALPA members informing them of the ballot. Because Forsa didn't think this was necessary at the injunction, the judge ruled against.
    So a new precedence has been set in Ireland for unions now when balloting.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

...I don't enjoy the whole queueing up a half an hour before my aircraft is ready for boarding (and a half an hour on the stairs waiting for them to open the door),...
    Why do this though? I always wait until the queue has gone through and don't understand the queueing.

Why do this though? I always wait until the queue has gone through and don't understand the queueing.
    I don't like being separated from my cabin bag, which according to their warnings is likely to happen if you're in the last few boarding.
    As I said it doesn't affect me anyway as I tend to avoid travelling with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

....., and I don't enjoy the whole 'will they or won't they' try to charge me extra for my bag because it's an ounce heavier than the limit, and I'll gladly pay a premium to avoid these things. Don't try and turn it into something else.

I think Iv only ever had my bag weighed once about 10 years in Glasgow, so thats a bit of an irrational fear you have there

• Advertisement

I don't like being separated from my cabin bag, which according to their warnings is likely to happen if you're in the last few boarding.
    As I said it doesn't affect me anyway as I tend to avoid travelling with them.
    Is this post policy change re cabin bags and priority boarding? I travel with a backpack usually these days so not something I have to worry about. I would have thought that priority boarding somewhat guaranteed* your cabin bag being in the cabin.

*In so much as anything can be "guaranteed". Inshallah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

marcos_94 wrote: »
    I think Iv only ever had my bag weighed once about 10 years in Glasgow, so thats a bit of an irrational fear you have there

Bag was 2kg overweight in Krakow last weekend, (booked the 10kg option) guy said it, I said it cos of the lovely Polish vodka, he laughed and let it go. Be nice to people and upfront, they'll generally give some leeway now.

Is this post policy change re cabin bags and priority boarding? I travel with a backpack usually these days so not something I have to worry about. I would have thought that priority boarding somewhat guaranteed your cabin bag being in the cabin.

Yep, priority boarding is a misnomer really, its more about the bag - if you have priority you are guaranteed your bag onboard (of course as long as it meets the criteria).

FR missing a trick here - priority could be broken in two - priority boarding with no cabin bag (small bag only) at one price and priority as it currently exists at a slightly higher price.

Nothing to do with the weight, I travel quite light, it's more to do with the fact that they only 'guarantee' the first ninety bags and my irrational fear that I'll find myself at the back of a queue if 189 other people who don't pay for checked baggage..

Nothing to do with the weight, I travel quite light, it's more to do with the fact that they only 'guarantee' the first ninety bags and my irrational fear that I'll find myself at the back of a queue if 189 other people who don't pay for checked baggage..

90 is the max for priority, get priority, you'll get the bag on.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

You quite literally specified weight......
    ....won't they' try to charge me extra for my bag because it's an ounce heavier than the limit

I understand you want your bag on board, so pay the €10 eacy way to have it on board. Not really sure what your issue is? And with regards to paying a premium to avoid this, iv had more instances of my bag ending up a few rows behind my seat with Aer Lingus than with Ryanair. A couple of weeks ago I had my bag moved from the front of the aircraft to just over the wings as a result of a passneger across the aisle asking to have his (oversized and bigger than the size constraints) put up top, with my bag being the victim of his inability to follow the rules

90 is the max for priority, get priority, you'll get the bag on.
    And conversely if you don't have priority it's not going on. No point in queueing regardless.

You quite literally specified weight......

I did but by way of example, I could have easily said 1cm bigger than the bag sizer because these seem to be the most common complaints people seem to have about them. As I also said it doesn’t directly affect me because I travel light with a bag that would definitely fit in the bag sizer and the fact that I tend to avoid them.
    That doesn’t mean I boycott them, I’ll quite happily put up with them if I can get a flight for €9.99 but when the fares are normal I don’t mind paying a bit more to use another carrier and if it’s an important trip will do this every time. I just don’t like the whole ‘adversarial’ style of customer service, it was fine for a while when they had that ‘Always getting better’ program in place but that seems to have been consigned to the bin. It’s a pity really because it definitely made a difference to the whole Ryanair experience.

• Advertisement

And yet they are number 2 airline in Europe by passenger volume. That's the only poll that matters.

Advertisement