Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ryanair discusion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

God help us all.
    The Good Lord helps those who help themselves. By the arrogant and reckless manner in which the union behaved they didn't help themselves - and the judge agreed - so they should not expect to receive any help from a "Spiritual Third Party" :).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭trellheim

All they need do is reballot properly for the strike surely and we are back here in a week ... or am I missing something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

trellheim wrote: »
    All they need do is reballot properly for the strike surely and we are back here in a week ... or am I missing something
    more like a month as the pilots have to be available to vote and 7 days notice given by which time summer is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

trellheim wrote: »

It depends, I'd be interested to hear the full judgement.

Edit: Briefly read it there, from my reading they could ballot again immediately, however ryanair could go back to court and argue the procedure established last year is still valid and was not followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

The real issue isn't whether or not this particular strike goes ahead or the procedures followed by the trade union in calling the strike or even the court action prohibiting the strike, the rather large elephant in the room is the ongoing IR disharmony between employer and employees and this ruling does absolutely nothing to address this..!
    Who in their right mind would trust Ryanair with important travel plans or their annual holiday flights until the IR problems are properly put to bed...?
    This latest action is just another small victory for Ryanair in a battle that is part of a bigger war but the war appears to be a long way from over.
    In a week's time no one will remember the details of this one but they will remember the strikes of last year and the threats of strikes this year and until they can be reassured that these problems have been resolved they won't have the confidence to believe it won't happen again next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Diagonalley

Does the case have to go to a full hearing first ? Someone has broken the law and surely they must be held accountable. They also need to go to the mediator as they agreed last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Presumably she then supports illegal strikes?

Now that's a slippery slope.

I am amazed at her tweet, there has to be legal protection for both employer and unions.
    If you take away ones legal protection you would give free run to the other to do what they want

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭blackwhite

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Presumably she then supports illegal strikes?

Now that's a slippery slope.

I doubt there's ever been a strike or protest that Ruth hasn't been in favour of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Who in their right mind would trust Ryanair with important travel plans or their annual holiday flights until the IR problems are properly put to bed...?

I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

blackwhite wrote: »
    I doubt there's ever been a strike or protest that Ruth hasn't been in favour of.

The kiss death, nobody wants to find themselves on the same side of any argument as coppinger... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

blackwhite wrote: »

Correct.

When one's sole ambition in life is to overthrow the capitalist system, every single strike, protest and other incidence of civil protest is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Does the case have to go to a full hearing first ? Someone has broken the law and surely they must be held accountable. They also need to go to the mediator as they agreed last year.

Yes. A full hearing has been ordered. Judge wants more details before he can make a final ruling.
    Not necessarily any laws broken but rather Judge didn't have enough evidence to know whether the ballot was carried out correctly.
    It could turn out it was all along. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭sporina

Hi, not flown with them in a while... so apparently i have to check in on line or pay €55 at airport - when did this come in? pretty sure that wasn't the case when i flew with them last year..?

Also, if i check in with the App, do I still have to print off the boarding pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭corkboy38

sporina wrote: »
    Hi, not flown with them in a while... so apparently i have to check in on line or pay €55 at airport - when did this come in? pretty sure that wasn't the case when i flew with them last year..?

It's been like that for years.

No need to print off the pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Also, if i check in with the App, do I still have to print off the boarding pass?

The fee for checking in at the airport is there at least 10 years, thats when I first flew with them.

You do not need to print a boarding pass if using the app.

Tzardine wrote: »
    The fee for checking in at the airport is there at least 10 years, thats when I first flew with them.

gee no memory of checking in on line last yr,..

so i check in with the app and then just drop the bag at airport??

kinda nervous about this - i usually check in at airport - i always have baggage to put on flight

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭adam240610

gee no memory of checking in on line last yr,..

so i check in with the app and then just drop the bag at airport??

kinda nervous about this - i usually check in at airport - i always have baggage to put on flight

You can always print it if you want instead of just using your phone, it's far easier and quicker than checking in in the airport in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Still won't be flying with ryanair come friday to be honest.
    Not that it will make a difference. It's still money in their back pocket and an empty seat. I'll check-in but will be going with another airline regardless as I feel like it would be a further insult to the pilots and staff.
    Disappointed with the way they treat their staff and the court injuction.

Trying my hardest not to fly with them as always but I just got caught this time as I happened to be heading to one of their smaller destinations and no other airline went there.

adam240610 wrote: »
    You can always print it if you want instead of just using your phone, it's far easier and quicker than checking in in the airport in my opinion

ok can i print it off via the app? or do i have to use a laptop/pc?

not v tech savvy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Depends on the airport you are flying from.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »

cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

robinph wrote: »

I could be wrong, but I dont think you have the option if you are flying from an airport that does not support it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I could be wrong, but I dont think you have the option if you are flying from an airport that does not support it.

Yep, had no choice and need paper boarding cards for our flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

No need to be nervous, check in with your passport details either on their website or the app.

If on the website, you'll be issued a PDF boarding pass which you need to print out or if via the app you will be issued a digital boarding pass which you can just present on the phone (both methods will still be available to you).

When you get to the airport, you'll see a bag drop area at the Ryanair desks where you present your boarding pass (and I think passport as well) and they'll tag your bag and send it on its way (there should be staff floating around that can help out), then you just go to the departure gates as normal and scan your mobile or paper pass at the gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

This highlights the failure of ialpa to competently challenge ryanair more than anything else. They need to get their house in order

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭billie1b

rivegauche wrote: »
    more like a month as the pilots have to be available to vote and 7 days notice given by which time summer is over.

Summer-time for flights for family holidays doesn’t end until near the end of October in Ireland and the UK, if you knew anything about the business you’d know that.
    Also your comment about STN having enough staff to cover the flights to go ahead is also untrue. They have called in Pilots from all over the network to be based there for them 2 day, pilots that are getting and extra €800-€1000 bonus per day to do it and that are on an agency contract so are not allowed to join the union, vote for strike action or call sick the days of strikes as they will be called in for a meeting to discuss their absence with sanctions up to and including dismissal. Amazing company to be contracted to with threats like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

rivegauche wrote: »
    It will be interesting to read the Judge's finding but it appears that the crux of the issue is that the Unions insisted on an impartial mediator last year and they are bound to use that mediator now for the moment unless they want to formally dispense with his services and go back to adversarial negotiation.
    I assume costs will be found in favour of Ryanair and their Senior Counsel was certainly racking up the billable hours yesterday.

Can you please explain this post better? Ryanair proposed the current mediator who is in place for a range of disputes and the union accepted it.

grimm2005 wrote: »
    No need to be nervous, check in with your passport details either on their website or the app.

If on the website, you'll be issued a PDF boarding pass which you need to print out or if via the app you will be issued a digital boarding pass which you can just present on the phone (both methods will still be available to you).

When you get to the airport, you'll see a bag drop area at the Ryanair desks where you present your boarding pass (and I think passport as well) and they'll tag your bag and send it on its way (there should be staff floating around that can help out), then you just go to the departure gates as normal and scan your mobile or paper pass at the gates.

awe your so sweet - thanks a million..

turns out i have apple wallet on my iphone so have boarding pass stored there..

not tech savvy at all lol..

will have a print out too - have it emailed to myself

thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Kat1170

A printout of the app is different from a printout of the PDF from the website and is not acceptable printed out.

Advertisement