Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

gozunda wrote: »
    And dont forget about the biomas being shipped from Australia to Foynes for electricity generation in the Midlands instead of turf. Or the the millions of gallons of fossil fuel it involves getting it there...

There are dimwits who think using south east Asian coconut coir in horticulture in place of local peat is somehow better for the environment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Centurion1001

And dont forget about the biomas being shipped from Australia to Foynes for electricity generation in the Midlands instead of turf. Or the the millions of gallons of fossil fuel it involves getting it there...

But we need to throw more money at the government. That'll teach them to be responsible. More tax comrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

quokula wrote: »
    Your prior suggestions mostly amounted to "the rich" should make sacrifices (I assume you define rich as richer than you, since on a global scale anyone posting on boards.ie is pretty rich)

Or practical stuff like better public transport, which is absolutely needed, but you rail against the taxes that could pay for that.

It sounds like you want to make no sacrifices, pay no less tax, but have the government and other people magic up solutions for it.

The reality is that we all need to make sacrifices and as much as there will always be people who have a bigger carbon footprint than you or I (and Greta is definitely not one of them), there are billions with a lower carbon footprint so that's no excuse.

How do you know what Greta’s carbon footprint is? You do realise that the whole zero carbon sail to New York debacle is actually producing more Co2 than if she had just flown there herself.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    How do you know what Greta’s carbon footprint is? You do realise that the whole zero carbon sail to New York debacle is actually producing more Co2 than if she had just flown there herself.

Yes but then she wouldn't get to posture to the peasants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

But that's not the point.

She's a maverick of the new world...........

• Advertisement

Yes but then she wouldn't get to posture to the peasants.

The Club of Rome and the rest of her elitist backers have no problem using children to drive home their propaganda points. The powers that shouldn't be have used that tactic for centuries, everyone from the King of France who backed a "children's crusade" to Jerusalem, to Adolf Hitler and Chairman Mao have used children as one of the cores of their propaganda. The idea is if they heavily brainwash the youth thhey can use them to hammer down the rest of society down the line. Children were denouncing, snitching on and literally killing their own parents during the so called cultural revolution in China.

The Club of Rome and the rest of her elitist backers have no problem using children to drive home their propaganda points. The powers that shouldn't be have used that tactic for centuries, everyone from the King of France who backed a "children's crusade" to Jerusalem, to Adolf Hitler and Chairman Mao have used children as one of the cores of their propaganda. The idea is if they heavily brainwash the youth thhey can use them to hammer down the rest of society down the line. Children were denouncing, snitching on and literally killing their own parents during the so called cultural revolution in China.

One thing I find amazing though is how all the kids demonstrations about climate change have fizzled out through the summer holidays. You'd think it'd be a perfect time for protests what with all the free time they have...

One thing I find amazing though is how all the kids demonstrations about climate change have fizzled out through the summer holidays. You'd think it'd be a perfect time for protests what with all the free time they have...

The young lad asked me to take him out of school next year to focus on climate change.

Ye no worries chief, sure why bother going back at all, this is a long term project

The young lad asked me to take him out of school next year to focus on climate change.

Ye no worries chief, sure why bother going back at all, this is a long term project

I can understand trying to encourage kids to be more mindful of the environment but this putting the fear of God into them is way too far

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I can understand trying to encourage kids to be more mindful of the environment but this putting the fear of God into them is way too far

This article lays out the relevant issues with any faffing around ...

https://medium.com/@daniilgor/the-real-problem-with-greta-thunberg-29326c3addd5

And unfortunately as a number of posters here have pointed out - the inevitable criticism of the campaign and the use of a child as a figurehead has unsurprisingly came home to roost.

The article details:
    We've really seen that with Greta Thunberg because anyone who raises criticisms either of her or the politics which she's representing … can find themselves being called anti-Greta, a child hater, someone who doesn't take young people seriously,"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-02/thunberg-hits-back-after-being-called-deeply-disturbed/11376724

• Advertisement

That pretty much summarized things. You've seen yourself on the thread that her defenders immediately jump to her age and autism to demonize any criticism. If she can't stand under any scrutiny or criticism then she shouldn't be on the public stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Hadn’t seen that. Interesting and confirms everything I read up about this crackpot.

She looks demonic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Hadn’t seen that. Interesting and confirms everything I read up about this crackpot.

She looks demonic

First time I actually heard her or saw her on video. Didn't realise that she also has downs syndrome. She seems like a fairly steadfast youngster tough. I'd be cautious as to who her support team are. They will end up finding a way to use her and profit from it.
    We all know it's going to happen.
    I would expect to be seeing pictures of her looking rough on tabloid news sites when she is older.
    Headings like "former child activist hits new low" or something similar.
    Her parents need to watch out for her.

She isn’t a demon. She doesn’t have Down’s syndrome. She is a child who needs to be protected from those who would exploit her as much as from vile personal attacks such as this.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

She looks demonic
    Didn't realise that she also has downs syndrome.

Mod: Have a bit of tact, folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Didn't realise that she also has downs syndrome.
    No No No...
    Its assburgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

This thread sure has turned into a nice little repository for the worst, most deluded, misinformed yet still arrogant and overconfident posters on this entire site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

First time I actually heard her or saw her on video. Didn't realise that she also has downs syndrome. She seems like a fairly steadfast youngster tough. I'd be cautious as to who her support team are. They will end up finding a way to use her and profit from it.
    We all know it's going to happen.
    I would expect to be seeing pictures of her looking rough on tabloid news sites when she is older.
    Headings like "former child activist hits new low" or something similar.
    Her parents need to watch out for her.

It is Asperger’s Syndrome, I have a post on this thread with video on the subject in girls. Once you have some background on what Aspergers is, how Greta is acting begins to make sense.

Empathy and Asperger’s Syndrome

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

It is Asperger’s Syndrome, I have a post on this thread with video on the subject in girls. Once you have some background on what Aspergers is, how Greta is acting begins to make sense.

Empathy and Asperger’s Syndrome

When I lived in Canada I worked with a guy with Asperger's for a bit on a few different mechanical fitout jobs. He was excellent at figuring out how pumping systems and pipework should be set out. Always was one step ahead in his head. Smoked too much weed but a great guy

Akrasia wrote: »
    This thread sure has turned into a nice little repository for the worst, most deluded, misinformed yet still arrogant and overconfident posters on this entire site.

Yeah I know maybe it's time you pissed off so.

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »

Not enough echo in the chamber for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

PJW has done a great video on this mongoloid austistic fucking CUNT

<video removed>

Mod: Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Pero_Bueno wrote: »

That is simply an unacceptable way to speak about people.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

It’s very grating to see mega corporations and celebrities push an issue for which they are responsible for creating and making worse. Why doesn’t Greta give a speech at the Oscars next year and ask all the celebrities to stop flying private jets. We should start a hashtag #stopflyingprivate and aim it at these smug entitled control freak celebrities.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: Completely unacceptable. Permabanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

<video removed>

I accept this poster has been permabanned but it encapsulates a lot of the posting as the thread has progressed. This is really getting under the skin of people of a particular bent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

As the personal attacks continue on this thread, Greta sails on:

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1164255536239534080?s=09

They need to put the foot down and get moving :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

Because she’s vegan which is a major difference on its own. And she relies on public transport and clean transport whenever feasibly possible. She’s foregone many opportunities to travel at all because she refuses to fly, and even if you argue that this one trip in her lifetime has some carbon footprint that does not in any way undo the rest of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Not enough echo in the chamber for you?

Quite the opposite. For some reason, normal, sensible posters are avoiding a thread which is essentially a bunch of climate change denying conspiracy theorists piling on together to insult and bully a teenage girl for daring to have good intentions and a platform to advocate for a better world.

No sensible people could be bothered to hang around for long in such a toxic environment so it turns into a ‘safe space’ for people of an extremely fringe world view to hang out together agreeing with each other to make themselves feel like they’re right and everyone else is wrong.

When you so comprehensively lose the debate on climate change (because the evidence is overwhelming) you are left with focusing your frustration on individual boogeymen characters as ‘proof’ that all that evidence you can’t argue against doesn’t matter anyway because it’s all faked by the conspiracy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

And unfortunately as a number of posters here have pointed out - the inevitable criticism of the campaign and the use of a child as a figurehead has unsurprisingly came home to roost.

The article details:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-02/thunberg-hits-back-after-being-called-deeply-disturbed/11376724

That medium article is a bunch of climate denying pseudoscientific drivel.

You can believe that nonsense and think there's no problem with emissions, or you can have some kind of problem with the emissions caused by the crew of the boat Greta is taking (ignoring the tiny scale of them in proportion to the effect raising awareness will have and even in proportion to Greta's personal sacrifices in the rest of her life), but I don't see how you can reconcile those two positions without being a total hypocrite.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement