Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Read her Wiki bio and that will give you an indication of what she is like.

Haven't read that tbh - I'll go and take a look thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Well, you apparently did (though this is the internet and we've to take your word for it) so I'd say she'll be fine.

That's good. I'd say that the nocturnal nuptial activities will be sensational! As a matter of interest, would you happen to know whether rubber johnnies are recyclable?

Calling a child a 'bint'? Nice. Does she threaten you that much?

And Boards.ie's very own Pavlov's dog has popped up to sniff around my gatepost yet again!

Have you a PC bleeper hard wired into your brain Matt, because you're as reliable as Old Faithful, although you produce a lot more steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Calling a child a 'bint'? Nice. Does she threaten you that much?

She’s more of a runt from that vegan diet, not a great advertisement to become vegan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Portsalon wrote: »
    And Boards.ie's very own Pavlov's dog has popped up to sniff around my gatepost yet again!

Have you a PC bleeper hard wired into your brain Matt, because you're as reliable as Old Faithful, although you produce a lot more steam.

Have I ever commented on one of your posts before? I don't think I have. Also I've posted in here maybe 3 or 4 times. Victim mentality much?
    Hey look, if you're afraid of her that's something you can talk out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Read the thread title.

Yes. The aristocracy trying to save the planet by virtue signalling hoping we will turn blind eye to their day to day activities that emit more carbon that us plebeians ever will in our lifetime while at the same time duping a young adult to lecture us about how bad we are for the planet.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Yes. The aristocracy trying to save the planet by virtue signalling hoping we will turn blind eye to their day to day activities that emit more carbon that us plebeians ever will in our lifetime while at the same time duping a young adult to lecture us about how bad we are for the planet.

It's partly because of the likes of Greta that attention is being shone on everyone's activities rather than she being duped in to anything.

Have I ever commented on one of your posts before? I don't think I have.

Give it time, Matt; I haven't been here for very long. But I know your form.

Hey look, if you're afraid of her that's something you can talk out.

Are you familiar with the concept of the category error fallacy, Matt? It's where some quasi-intelligent person confuses the emotions of fear and contempt.

Example: I fear snakes and scorpions, but I have contempt for slugs.

• Advertisement

Portsalon wrote: »
    Give it time, Matt; I haven't been here for very long. But I know your form.

Are you familiar with the concept of the category error fallacy, Matt? It's where some quasi-intelligent person confuses the emotions of fear and contempt.

Example: I fear snakes and scorpions, but I have contempt for slugs.

Says the man posting about recycling condoms.

It's partly because of the likes of Greta that attention is being shone on everyone's activities rather than she being duped in to anything.

Greta is very much an innocent in all this she is only echoing what the adults around her want her to. Her face is being used to front a campaign that is intent on changing how Western economies operate. The real danger for her is that the elites (for want of a better term) are hiding behind her innocence and she will become the target of the ire for many thousands who will lose their jobs. You already have the French on eggshells with the yellow vest protests, and the Germans are facing thousands of layoffs from their car industry, they are not going to take kindly to a young adult lecturing them about how they are bad for the planet.

Weik & Friedrich: Do not forget the economy over the climate
    The automotive industry crashes

Meanwhile, it looks raven black in Germany's key industry. Car production fell by an impressive 24.4 percent in June 2019 compared to the same month last year. In the first 6 months of 2019, a minus of 12.5 percent recorded. As early as 2018, production had plummeted by 9.4 percent compared to the previous year! Everyone is talking about electromobility, and nobody has a plan for how to do it in a big way. Undoubtedly, in the big cities of our country, you can usually travel adequately without a car thanks to public transport.

However, not all citizens live in Berlin Prenzlauer Berg, but also in the countryside, and there, the distances are slightly larger and there is usually no alternative to the car. However, this finding does not seem to prevail in the political filter bubble in urban agglomerations. Should the topic of electromobility be implemented just as dilettantisch as the so-called energy transition - Germany has the second highest electricity prices in Europe after Denmark - then good night, Germany.
    Fight against the car continues

Nevertheless, the fight against the automobile and especially against large and high-priced cars, in which Germany is a global leader, continues unabated. Exactly with these vehicles, however, Audi, BMW and Daimler earn their money and not just with small and medium-sized cars. If we continue to destroy our vehicle industry - which accounts for 21 percent of our GDP - then everyone must be aware of the consequences.

source (DE) & via google translate

Her condition means she won't understand why people were so supportive of her yesterday and yet tomorrow they will throw her to the wolves as the economic consequences of the "new economy" became increasingly apparent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Sounds like the beginning of a life of dealing with mental illness. It's a sad situation.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Sounds like the beginning of a life of dealing with mental illness. It's a sad situation.

On what real world basis can that be considered a valid statement?

Her condition means she won't understand why people were so supportive of her yesterday and yet tomorrow they will throw her to the wolves as the economic consequences of the "new economy" became increasingly apparent.

Are you an expert on Asperger's now?

And this is the type of nonsense gozunda thinks is a valid position.

Blueshoe wrote: »

Not especially, her behaviour and others like her is better understood that a few decades ago. If you have time take a look at this quick lecture by Tony Attwood on Aspergers in girls

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Not especially, her behaviour and others like her is better understood that a few decades ago. If you have time take a look at this quick lecture by Tony Attwood on Aspergers in girls

I'm not talking about Asperger's. I didn't even know she had it. That's not relevant to my point

Are you an expert on Asperger's now?

I'm not an expert, however, I have done quite a bit of reading over the years on the subject so I'm somewhat clued in on the condition.

You will not be unaware how the media works: today they build you up and tomorrow they tear you down. Hopefully it never gets to that stage for Greta and she can quietly move into the background when her 15 minutes are up and get on with her life. The fundamental point it is not possible to ignore the costs, and trade offs of the economic transition that is being proposed and using an innocent young adult to deflect criticism is not justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Doubt she has ever worked a day in her life

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Attention being shone on everyone’s activities?

You mean the elites guilt tripping ordinary workers and increased attacks on personal freedoms through coercive taxation?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

SafeSurfer wrote: »

You mean the elites guilt tripping ordinary workers and increased attacks on personal freedoms through coercive taxation?

Gees, if only we could decide who could make decisions on our tax regime....

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Doubt she has ever worked a day in her life

The 16 year old? Do you really doubt it?

Says the man posting about recycling condoms.

A totally legitimate question to ask an uncritical Thunberg supporter! Indeed, any true Thunberger should have been able to answer it with their eyes (and flies) closed.

You may not be aware that upwards of 5 billion condoms are used annually; and although you may always recycle yours carefully, not everyone is as concerned about the planet's future. Just imagine being marooned in the midst of a 5 billion used condom mountain and you'll realise how important this issue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Being a passenger on a 60ft race boat
    ( c/w carbon neutral gas stove ) & crew n captain

Just a lump of SLC really

Pisspoor effort compared to this :

( boat built in 1978 )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

SafeSurfer wrote: »

You're right.
    I think this explains it:

quote-plot-idea-97-of-the-world-s-scientists-contrive-an-environmental-crisis-but-are-exposed-scott-westerfeld-89-39-47.jpg

Blast those elites :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

So moving forward. As a middle class meat eater who drives a large SUV everywhere who is completely unwilling to pay a single cent more in tax , how can I help the planet without changing anything I do. I am ok with others who are not in my scenario having to change.

So moving forward. As a middle class meat eater who drives a large SUV everywhere who is completely unwilling to pay a single cent more in tax , how can I help the planet without changing anything I do. I am ok with others who are not in my scenario having to change.

Phase 1: Invest in a fake meat company.

Phase 2: Paint your car green and have your photo taken with children at a climate protest.

Phase 3: Profit.

Are you an expert on Asperger's now?And this is the type of nonsense gozunda thinks is a valid position.

Just when things had moved on :rolleyes:

Tbh that comment simply comes across as a bitter tbh after you lost the run of the discussion above.

And it's this type of ****e 'Tell me how' aka 'I already know everything' tries to mud sling as per usual.

God help anyone providing proper referenced information or engaging in discussion - if it doesnt say 'Greta is god' then expect a good smack around the back of the head and the usual mud slinging. But hey then what's new :D

Thanks for that. Interesting overview.

Hadn't came across him previously
    Tony Attwood is well known for sharing his knowledge of Aspergers Syndrome. He has an Honours degree in Psychology from the University of Hull, Masters degree in Clinical Psychology from the University of Surrey and a PhD from the University of London. He is currently adjunct Associate Professor at Griffith University in Queensland.

Tony has written several publications on Asperger's Syndrome. His book, titled Aspergers Syndrome, has now been translated into several languages.

https://www.tonyattwood.com.au

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Is that so?

Tbh that comment simply comes across as a bitter tbh after you lost the run of the discussion above.

And it's this type of ****e 'Tell me how' aka 'I already know everything' tries to mud sling as per usual.

God help anyone providing proper referenced information or engaging in discussion - if it doesnt say 'Greta is god' then expect a good smack around the back of the head and the usual mud slinging. But hey then what's new :D

Please.

Proper referenced information would be a novelty. I doubt you'd recognize it after your effort earlier.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement