Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on small arms service

Options
  • 13-08-2019 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Anyone used small arms service before? Looking to get a browning straight pull duracoated as the bluing is awfully thin and already wearing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Very high standard of work and a sound fella as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭freddieot

genuine guy, no messing and knows what he is talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Sound man and top work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

An exellent worker who takes each job personally,and demands perfection from himself.100% recomnend.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I see SAS are now offering laser engraving.

Helpful to anyone that needs to become compliant for the new SI or just wants to spruce up their rig.

So many ideas coming into my head now. :D

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

RossiFan08 wrote: »
    Anyone used small arms service before? Looking to get a browning straight pull duracoated as the bluing is awfully thin and already wearing.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, with the time/effort and headache :p that goes into some of the simple double barrel refinishes to head to toe jobs its a labor of love !

To the OP I own run Small Arms Services, we're a family run business that's proud to be Irish and offering a unique service/product here.

With regards your gun, it is unfortunately a very common occurrence where we remove bluing on guns simply because the maintenance is too high or it wears quickly.

We use DuraCoat (having both DuraCoat and Cerakote applicators courses done) because it is a firearms finish first, not a high temp finish that is applied to firearms.

If it is a traditional bluing that you are looking for then there are 5 colour options to choose from in DuraCoats "DuraBlue" Range. You can of course use any of the 40+colours that we carry in stock and its all the same price.

The polished colours in the DuraBlue range mimic the deep luster and high gloss of a traditional bluing job but has none of the traditional bluing drawbacks. Its why we call it Tradition Vs Evolution :)

Cass wrote: »
    I see SAS are now offering laser engraving.

Helpful to anyone that needs to become compliant for the new SI or just wants to spruce up their rig.

So many ideas coming into my head now. :D

Yes its something Ive been playing with for a while now and every time I turn it on I do my Dr Evil impersonation :D:D:D

Seriously though..... for the cost of it ill be doing Tattoo/laser hair removal along with eye surgery :eek::eek::eek:

You can engrave pretty much anything though?

Here is one to put you on the spot. Coat and then engrave the new coating. I have dirty ideas for one of my rifles. Might have to meet you on the range someday with some crayons and a few cups of coffee. :D

Obligatory picture to Dr. Evil comment.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Kran

Great experience with SAS here too. He coated a scope for me and made it look as good as new.

You can engrave pretty much anything though?

Here is one to put you on the spot. Coat and then engrave the new coating. I have dirty ideas for one of my rifles. Might have to meet you on the range someday with some crayons and a few cups of coffee. :D

Obligatory picture to Dr. Evil comment.

A fiber laser (which is what I have) is limited to metals and some plastics but with its possible to mark leather (real only) as well as stone and wood (apparently) if you have the right settings.

You and me both man as regards the design but thats a whole different side of it when it comes to graphic design...... ive to study up :(

• Advertisement

My bad, when i said "engrave anything" i meant design wise, but good to know.

So get studying done and i'll chat to you next time we meet up. :D

My bad, when i said "engrave anything" i meant design wise, but good to know.

So get studying done and i'll chat to you next time we meet up. :D

Tattoo removal or eye surgery..... whatll it be :P ?

You'd want to be careful before some guy asks about hair removal.

source.gif

PS - Sorry to OP about thread jacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The laser engraving actually dovetails well with that other thread on 3D printing ;)

My printer does some lovely laser engraving.

On the subject of this particular thread.
    I've never had opportunity to use Gunhappy's services but from frequenting this forum he genuinely is knowledgeable, helpful and from anyone who has ever had work done by him.
    A fantastically skilled and competent Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭skipking

got my semi-auto done a year ago great job and a good man to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Yes its something Ive been playing with for a while now and every time I turn it on I do my Dr Evil impersonation :D:D:D

Seriously though..... for the cost of it ill be doing Tattoo/laser hair removal along with eye surgery :eek::eek::eek:

We have a diode laser and CO2 laser here at work, 2 great bits of kit. Could sit watching the diode laser marking things all day long.

The co2 works well on timber, different powers will give heavier markings on it. it can also cut certain plastics like acrylic and acetal.

First test jobs I marked on HDPE with the new diode below :D

Advertisement