Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Christy42 wrote: »
    Tsitsipas and Kyrgios were a doubles team here as well. Wonder if they learned anything about themselves. Likely they have a fair idea about each anyway but it adds to it.

Maybe Kyrgios learned the most? :D Very entertaining match and quite close in the end. Medvedev steamrolled through with no real problem which sets up a good final.

In other news, Thiem wins on home clay in Kitzbühel, the first Austrian to do so since Thomas Muster in 1993. His hardcourt season begins in Montreal in a few days.

Krygios wins and moves back into to 30.

His tournament performance being remarkable in that his tennis did the talking rather than on-court antics.

Which is good to see but never guaranteed to last.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

No shortage of on court antics either, in a good way. I’d love to see him win slams combining both.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Everyone gets so excited when Kyrgios wins a few matches, seeing so much talk of him "turning things around" online. I expect he'll be back to his usual tanking form soon. I've willed him on for five years but I'm kinda past caring now tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,556 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Just watching Ostapenko against Garcia and ostapenko doesn't look fit. Maybe it is just the clothes but she looks to have put on some weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Ostapenko is a nutcase. I dont mean personally, but in a game sense. Last time i saw her play was against Petra Martic in Birmingham, hit 70 UE, 20 DFs and lost 5 match points. As crazy match stats as you'll find i think. Problem is she seems to only have one gear, choke out all the way and a sorry sight when she crashes. Good to see her win yesterday, has the talent and the shots, but just not the tennis head to go with it i fear.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Ostapenko is a nutcase. I dont mean personally, but in a game sense. Last time i saw her play was against Petra Martic in Birmingham, hit 70 UE, 20 DFs and lost 5 match points. As crazy match stats as you'll find i think. Problem is she seems to only have one gear, choke out all the way and a sorry sight when she crashes. Good to see her win yesterday, has the talent and the shots, but just not the tennis head to go with it i fear.

The serve is the biggest problem that needs sorting asap, giving away so many free points is crazy. A good coach could teacher her patience and point construction, but not sure she'd be willing to take it on board. Still, she's only just turned 22 so lots of time to turn things around.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The serve is the biggest problem that needs sorting asap, giving away so many free points is crazy. A good coach could teacher her patience and point construction, but not sure she'd be willing to take it on board. Still, she's only just turned 22 so lots of time to turn things around.

Thats true. 22 is old enough to have plenty ingrained bad habits, but its still very young when you consider players can now go into mid or even late 30s if they desire and stay injury free enough. The serve thing seems like a technique issue, should be eminently capable of being addressed. She's running nearly double figures in DFs on average per match and that's no good. Sort that and she could be top 20 or higher again, otherwise she'll continue her slide and it'll get more difficult to reverse it. Never seems to lack for confidence though, i'll say that much for her anyway.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Just watching Ostapenko against Garcia and ostapenko doesn't look fit. Maybe it is just the clothes but she looks to have put on some weight.

the playing outfit looked more like a dress than a skirt and made her look like a porker. awful get-up although she has always been pudgy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9lGUfKcU5k

"world no.1" Barty out in the second round at the Rogers - plus ca change.

Krgios does actually seem to be making an effort, again could change due to his mood swings - he has won 6 ATP titles now - that's not bad.

(more titles than Barty has won on the WTA!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

glasso wrote: »

Krgios does actually seem to be making an effort, again could change due to his mood swings - he has won 6 ATP titles now - that's not bad.

He has been playing well. How long before the next implosion, though?

• Advertisement

mzungu wrote: »
    He has been playing well. How long before the next implosion, though?

well he's making all the right noises but surely this will not be without a dip and increase in outbursts. you don't want him to become a complete drone like so many others but that's unlikely to happen. if he can cut out the mostly stupid umpire jib but remain honest that would be a good balance

https://www.ubitennis.net/2019/08/nick-kyrgios-talks-tackling-unhealthy-habits-winning-washington-title/
    “It started off the court, honestly. A lot of habits needed to change. I’m not going to go into it with a lot of detail, but I just had a lot of unhealthy habits, and it was starting to show on the tennis court. It was too up and down. It wasn’t healthy. So I just needed to change a lot of things.” The former top 20 player explained.
    “This is only the beginning. I’m going to continue to go through with these habits. And at the same time, I’m trying not to change myself. I don’t want to lose sight of who I am. I want to continue to have fun on court and be the entertainer I am. But it’s a day-by-day process.”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭josip

Death and taxes Kyrgios meltdowns.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It didn’t take long...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭Christy42

That is one dude who doesn't know where his towel is at.

Disappointing but really got my hopes too high that he could be vaguely sensible after managing a full week of not acting like a toddler.

well he's making all the right noises but surely this will not be without a dip and increase in outbursts. you don't want him to become a complete drone like so many others but that's unlikely to happen. if he can cut out the mostly stupid umpire jib but remain honest that would be a good balance

https://www.ubitennis.net/2019/08/nick-kyrgios-talks-tackling-unhealthy-habits-winning-washington-title/

With any other player that would raise serious questions, with NK it seems to be just another day at the office.

Thiem into the QF at Montreal and playing quite well.

Serena Vs Osaka coming up in Toronto. Hope Naomi rips her to shreds :cool:

mzungu wrote: »
    Thiem into the QF at Montreal and playing quite well.

And then hammered by Medvedev. He is becoming my dark horse to be the next outside the big 4 to win a slam

whiterebel wrote: »
    And then hammered by Medvedev. He is becoming my dark horse to be the next outside the big 4 to win a slam

It should be a good match against Khachanov in the SF. Medvedev, like the rest of the chasing pack is let down by inconsistency. I honestly think it you had a season where none of the big 4 entered a slam, you would have four different winners of each and not all of them would be those that have been touted (Tsitsipas. Zverev etc).

The problem is for the chasing pack, they will have to beat at least one, if not two of the big 4 to win a slam. At the moment they can't match them physically or mentally. I have no idea when that will start to change.

• Advertisement

Tell me more about this big 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Serena struggling against Bouzkova.

Loads of errors.

Just realised it's on.

4-1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

josip wrote: »

Was thinking about this as well. Can only assuming they're talking about the artist formerly known as Andy Murray.

Nadal should take care of Medvedev handily enough. Nice easy extra hard court Masters to post the record and give a bit of confidence ahead of Cincinnati with the other two playing and the Open.

josip wrote: »
    Was thinking about this as well. Can only assuming they're talking about the artist formerly known as Andy Murray.
    Murray back in the singles draw for Cincinnati with two tournaments lined up in China next month. He hasn't thrown in the singles towel just yet.
    Nadal should take care of Medvedev handily enough. Nice easy extra hard court Masters to post the record and give a bit of confidence ahead of Cincinnati with the other two playing and the Open.
    Medvedev played great in the SF and now faces a fresh Nadal in the final as he got a walkover against Monfils.

You would have to give it to Rafa but if Medvedev can play like he did in the SF it should be a good match.

Some spanking for Medvedev. I’ll have to revise my opinion....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Another routine win for Nadal. Jesus, I'm really loosing faith in this Next Gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,556 ✭✭✭Floppybits

What happened to Serena today? Retired in the final 3-1 down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Absolute gutter these new guys are.

Nadal practically 100% certain to win USO after this result.

100% CERTAIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭Christy42

100% CERTAIN.

Give it a rest. You were certain that the only one who could stop him at Wimbledon was Djokovic and look how that worked out.

• Advertisement

100% CERTAIN.

Is this some sort of defense mechanism you've got Hector?

(Wimbledon 2019)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110635801&postcount=309

(Australia 2019)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109227563&postcount=298

(US 2018)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107559809&postcount=251

Advertisement