Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

walshb wrote: »
    I think Nole would have beaten Nadal in straight sets...

Having just watched this, Djokovic was not at his best yesterday (and that is partly down to Federer yes) and methinks he wouldn't have won in straights against anyone. It was sheer bloody mindedness that won it, and all the more than impressive for that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I'm looking forward to Montreal and Cincinnati. At the moment Djokovic looks good for the US Open, but he is not in unbeatable form or anything. It will be an interesting few weeks.

mzungu wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to Montreal and Cincinnati. At the moment Djokovic looks good for the US Open, but he is not in unbeatable form or anything. It will be an interesting few weeks.

Djokovic has said that he doesnt care about 1000 titles any more (and i'm pretty sure Nadal or Federer will also focus only on the US Open) so these two tournaments should be opportunities for the next generation to gain a bit more confidence and win a couple of titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

lostcat wrote:
    Djokovic has said that he doesnt care about 1000 titles any more (and i'm pretty sure Nadal or Federer will also focus only on the US Open) so these two tournaments should be opportunities for the next generation to gain a bit more confidence and win a couple of titles.

Don't ever recall Djokovic saying that he doesn't care about M1000..

• Registered Users Posts: 55,096 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Agreed. He is not unbeatable. Not playing as brilliantly as previous years. But lucky for him, RF and Nadal aren't either.

Can't wait for U.S. Open...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,096 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes, and he is one away from tying Rafa on 34...has to be real desire there.

He said recently that the only thing he cares about is slams, I'll post a link if I can find it again.
    Iirc It was after he won cinci last year to complete the set

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭Christy42

lostcat wrote: »
    He said recently that the only thing he cares about is slams, I'll post a link if I can find it again.
    Iirc It was after he won cinci last year to complete the set

I would not believe that. He has been around for long enough to get enough leeway to pick his own schedule for a large chunk of the year and yet somehow the masters just happen to be the best warm ups?

He would prefer slams to masters but he will definitely take any win he can get.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Another huge name caught in the fight against doping! Haven't done any research yet as to what exactly the thing that she tested positive for is, or whether there could be an innocent explanation.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

research yet as to what exactly the thing that she tested positive for is

Off the shelf stuff it seems:

https://bodyshock.pro/en/products/ligndrol-lgd-4033-5mg-60-caps-1992.html?utm_source=iai_ads&utm_medium=google_shopping&curr=EUR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Rob2D wrote: »

Everytime I hear athletes saying they didn't realise what they were taking contained banned substances I think of Mark English's quote "you've failed the stupidity test".
    English also describes the dangers of unwittingly taking illegal substances, but feels that even in such unfortunate circumstances, athletes ultimately have themselves to blame.

“You just need to be sure that the company you’re getting it from is reliable and that all their products are drug tested… You’re responsible for what goes into your body at the end of the day — every athlete knows that. You just need to choose what products you’re taking very wisely.

“Of course it’s unfortunate for those that don’t know what they’re taking… Okay, you might be innocent, but you’ve failed the stupidity test, so I don’t think you should really be in the sport."

https://www.the42.ie/mark-english-doping-gaa-soccer-rugby-2101073-May2015/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Thiem knocked out of Hamburg by Rublev. A bit of a shock that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

mzungu wrote:
    Thiem knocked out of Hamburg by Rublev. A bit of a shock that one.

Shocked to see that result. Hope Thiem can get it together for the upcoming US hardcourt season. Played well at USO last year

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

This has forever been Thiem's problem. Like, what's he even doing playing on clay in the lead up to the US Open?

Shocked to see that result. Hope Thiem can get it together for the upcoming US hardcourt season. Played well at USO last year

Aye, he has Montreal and Cincinnati over the next few weeks to tune up his game in time for the US. That was a great match with Nadal last year in the QF and it was very close in the end. He has it in him go further this year but the next few weeks should tell a lot.

Zverev sent on his way today. It was a good match but he didn't convert his two match points so what could he expect? Basilashvili was a worthy winner. He will face Rublev in tomorrows final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

This has forever been Thiem's problem. Like, what's he even doing playing on clay in the lead up to the US Open?

Long time since he played a match - got dumped out of Wimbledon early

Even Federer played clay after Wimbledon when he lost early in 2013

Better than sitting at home I suppose - and there's no better preparation than matches

Basilashvili wins Hamburg. Some great tennis from both men but it was the consistency from the Georgian that won the day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Basilashvili wins Hamburg. Some great tennis from both men but it was the consistency from the Georgian that won the day.

That is a wicked forehand at times, he was fairly smacking it past Zverev in the semi.

Zverev and Lendl have split, tbh I thought they already had, it never really got going. Lendl said that Zverev has too much off court stuff going on, whilst Zverev said that Lendl spent too much time talking about golf :pac:

Meanwhile, Cori Gauff got a wildcard into the Washington qualies and won both matches in straight sets, into the main draw to play Diyas.

Kuznetsova is unable to defend her Washington title due to "visa issues", which I find a bit strange. Admittedly I didn't look into the story too much, but I find it odd how an athlete of her calibre and as well travelled as she is can have these sort of issues at this stage of her career.

• Advertisement

Zverev and Lendl have split, tbh I thought they already had, it never really got going. Lendl said that Zverev has too much off court stuff going on, whilst Zverev said that Lendl spent too much time talking about golf :pac:

Jeez never even knew they were a partnership!

I wonder what he means by the bolded? A dig at his workrate maybe? may explain his lack of fitness in slams...

jr86 wrote: »
    Jeez never even knew they were a partnership!

I wonder what he means by the bolded? A dig at his workrate maybe? may explain his lack of fitness in slams...

I think what he's referring to is the legal wrangle Zverev is currently embroiled in with an ex manager, something Zverev alluded to after his opening round Wimbledon loss. Apparently the ex manager is trying to insist their contract was supposed to run through until 2023, which seems like bullsh*t to me, nobody in tennis subscribes to those kind of contracts. Probably just someone trying to squeeze a few million out of Zverev, Naomi Osaka is currently going through something similar with an ex coach I believe.

Murray talking about a singles return in Cincinatti

That retirement hint and subsequent tributes in January, not awkward at all now or anything...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

It'll be interesting to see how he changes his game. Certainly can't play like he did before.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

jr86 wrote: »
    Murray talking about a singles return in Cincinatti

That retirement hint and subsequent tributes in January, not awkward at all now or anything...

I dont think he has any reason to feel awkward about it to be honest. Your right that it was a retirement hint, he never said definitively he was finished but left the door open to a possible return, however slim the possibility, and the tributes were obviously foisted upon him as that is not something Murray himself would purposely orchestrate in an entire decade of sundays. Anyway, great to see him back if he does indeed make it.

I dont think he has any reason to feel awkward about it to be honest. Your right that it was a retirement hint, he never said definitively he was finished but left the door open to a possible return, however slim the possibility, and the tributes were obviously foisted upon him as that is not something Murray himself would purposely orchestrate in an entire decade of sundays. Anyway, great to see him back if he does indeed make it.

Murray doesn't have anything to be embarrassed about. The Press, however...

every time he was interviewed around then the interviewers were falling over themselves to be the one he actually announced his retirement to, i'm amazed he didnt clock someone

The press got very carried away, but in fairness Murray did say he may never play again (through lots of tears). And more or less presented the "best case scenario" as signing off at Wimbledon this year. Even fellow players were Tweeting about it straight away with Tributes and so on

I wouldn't blame him really though, I suspect he may have said it all in the heat of the moment in fairness, and he can be prone to drama for sure, but it looks a bit awkward overall given he may actually play on considerably more

No harm done though, I'm sure everyone will laugh in a few years when they look back and he's going for his 10th slam :):D

Murray wears his heart on his sleeve and it was an understandable reaction at the time. Hearing that he may have to retire when he could have another five or so years left in him must have been a bitter pill to swallow. It would be great to see him back on the singles circuit full time again.

Tsonga looking in pretty good form in Washington this week. He got past Khachanov in three sets and now faces Edmund. Cilic, Isner and Medvedev all though to the round of 16 without much hassle either.

The semi-finals are shaping up nicely with Tsitsipas against Kyrgios and Medvedev against Gojowczyk.

I'm wondering how Kyrgios will fare against Tsitsipas. He has been in fine form all week (even if he doesn't seem to be taking it all that seriously...but nothing new there) but he played quite well in the QF.

As for the other, well you would have to fancy Medvedev, but the lucky loser Gojowczyk has been playing well all week and did very well to get past Edmund in three sets in the QF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭Christy42

The semi-finals are shaping up nicely with Tsitsipas against Kyrgios and Medvedev against Gojowczyk.

I'm wondering how Kyrgios will fare against Tsitsipas. He has been in fine form all week (even if he doesn't seem to be taking it all that seriously...but nothing new there) but he played quite well in the QF.

As for the other, well you would have to fancy Medvedev, but the lucky loser Gojowczyk has been playing well all week and did very well to get past Edmund in three sets in the QF.

Tsitsipas and Kyrgios were a doubles team here as well. Wonder if they learned anything about themselves. Likely they have a fair idea about each anyway but it adds to it.

Advertisement