Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Christy42 wrote: »
    Give it a rest. You were certain that the only one who could stop him at Wimbledon was Djokovic and look how that worked out.

This is different, the surface at USO is closest to French Open, in fact they are slowing down the AO next year too, so we can expect the next 3 slams to g oto Nadal too ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Nadal pulls out of Cinci cutting fatigue. He had a w/o in the semi and conceded three games in the final ffs.

Would have been good to see him, Djokovic and Federer go for it outside a slam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Nadal pulls out of Cinci cutting fatigue. He had a w/o in the semi and conceded three games in the final ffs.

That was inevitable once he got to the final. The Big3 are much more selective in their schedules now. Sure Fed & Djokovic didn't even play in Canada. It now appears as if it's a case of one or the other, but not both M1000 in succession for these players

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

Noticed Andreescu do the same thing, she is a lot younger but off a big injury lay off. Still maybe it is a bit much to have both right next to each other. I mean Djok and Fed skipped Canada so Nadal is not doing worse than them.

Guess he had largely wrote off Cincinnati already and just signed up in case he slipped up early in Canada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

They won't say it publicly but all the big 3 will be absolutely gunning for the slam total now and that'll be their almost total focus. Nadal has a serious chance at it, given his dominance at the French

We need to get used to them not taking all the non-slam events seriously tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Absolute gutter these new guys are.

Nadal practically 100% certain to win USO after this result.

100% CERTAIN.
    Slams are a different beast. He is not a 100% certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Same old Kyrgios. If he doesn't want to be on the tour then he should just steo away

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Never had Kyrgios down as a racist tbh, but here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

Never had Kyrgios down as a racist tbh, but here we are.

What was the racist bit?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

josip wrote: »
    What was the racist bit?

He referred to Fergus Murphy, the Irish umpire, as a 'potato'. Apparently it's also not the first time, although last night was my first time hearing him using it.

• Advertisement

He referred to Fergus Murphy, the Irish umpire, as a 'potato'. Apparently it's also not the first time, although last night was my first time hearing him using it.

I wouldn't read too much into 'potato'.
    He's also called Pat Cash a potato.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Serious UEs from Fed against Rublev. Looked way out of form. I'd have to say Rublev played well too, didn't let up on his serve at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

whiterebel wrote: »
    Serious UEs from Fed against Rublev. Looked way out of form. I'd have to say Rublev played well too, didn't let up on his serve at all.

He did look a bit rusty. He can't afford that at Flushing Meadows.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It’s like he is now completely playing to the gallery.

The guy should be thrown out of the sport. He’s an absolute disgrace.

There may be trouble ahead.
    Djokovic had a medical timeout for his elbow in the quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

josip wrote: »
    There may be trouble ahead.
    Djokovic had a medical timeout for his elbow in the quarters.

I mean possible but seems to be reading a bit too much into it.

Like I said, Nadal only needs to worry about Djokovic, Djokovic needs to worry about everyone else.

New guys can beat Djokovic, new guys can't even get a set off Nadal.
    Nadal bt Medvedev 6-3 6-0 the other week - Medvedev has beaten Djok twice in a row now.

Nadal to dominate the game for years - decades perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The same Nadal that was knocked out of Wimbledon by Federer?

I actually just had a look there. Nadal hasn't beaten Federer away from a clay court since 2014, and Djokovic since 2013. He has to do a lot more than just worry about the two of them.

Have people not learned by now not to respond to the_monkey's posts?

Anyway, Amanda Anisimova out of the US Open after the sudden death of her father/coach. She's only 17 and he was 56, terrible news.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I see Tipsarevic has announced his retirement.

• Advertisement

Floppybits wrote: »

Good riddance.

The same Nadal that was knocked out of Wimbledon by Federer?

I actually just had a look there. Nadal hasn't beaten Federer away from a clay court since 2014, and Djokovic since 2013. He has to do a lot more than just worry about the two of them.

Thats my point, he ONLY needs to worry about them (esp. Djokovic) he doesn't need to worry about the new guys, he blows them away with ease.

So they do him a favour, and he just walks the final ...

Floppybits wrote: »
    Good riddance.

Cool glasses though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

US OPEN 2019

Tough draw for Djokovic- Querrey, Stan, Medvedev on his side fffffuuuu...

Fairly smooth sailing for Federer on paper

Rafa in the middle... what are the chances of him clinching a win here?

Can't wait for next week!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

camz09 wrote: »
    US OPEN 2019

Tough draw for Djokovic- Querrey, Stan, Medvedev on his side fffffuuuu...

Fairly smooth sailing for Federer on paper

Rafa in the middle... what are the chances of him clinching a win here?

Can't wait for next week!

I wouldnt call Pouille, Goffin and Nishikori in the earlt part smooth sailing?
    Thiem looks to have the best draw early on. Rafa is a bit up and down. ND has a tough draw for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

May aswell just skip to the Djokovic nadal final tbh, with probably injury their only realistic barrier

Aside from 2015 Federer has lost to players outside of Djokovic and Nadal every time he's played here since 2011 - hasn't even won it since 2008 - certainly not his best slam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

jr86 wrote: »
    May aswell just skip to the Djokovic nadal final tbh, with probably injury their only realistic barrier

Aside from 2015 Federer has lost to players outside of Djokovic and Nadal every time he's played here since 2011 - hasn't even won it since 2008 - certainly not his best slam

Maybe not in recent years, but he did win the tournament five years in a row in the 2000's.

US Open thread here.

Wow, Kim Clijsters is returning to the tour next year at the age of 36!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Being filed under the heading "never saw that one coming". Do hope it goes well for her, that 2009 US Open win was one of the great sporting achievements of modern times i think. Gonna have to go on manic fitness drive over the winter but she seems up for it so who knows?

Advertisement