Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Murray to play doubles at queens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

Back over here now, hertogenbosh starts tomorrow, qualis were today. Officially........
    Grass swing

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Venus has taken a wildcard into Birmingham. Remains to be seen if Serena takes one anywhere, but if she has any sense at all she will.

Meanwhile, Sharapova will try and muster some form in Mallorca.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Murray back to winning ways, hopefully he will win his first round singles at Wimbledon, and then cry at the sidelines for an hour and then pull out of his 2nd round match.

:P

Murray back to winning ways, hopefully he will win his first round singles at Wimbledon, and then cry at the sidelines for an hour and then pull out of his 2nd round match.

:P
    Has he confirmed for wimbledon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Not a hope for singles

He's trying to enter Mixed Doubles as well as mens'

jr86 wrote: »

Not a hope for singles

He's trying to enter Mixed Doubles as well as mens'

Ok just when I seen guy say he was I thought I'd missed something.
    Doubles untill USO will help strengthen the hip

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

josip wrote: »
    Absolutely heartbreaking that's him done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

josip wrote:
    Del Potro broke his kneecap again

Completely innocuous slip, that man is cursed. There are talks that this could be career-ending. Hopefully not, as he is one of the best around when fit and on form. Unfortunately though, he will always be one of the great "what ifs" due to his injuries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Devastating news for Delpo. He gets a good spell of health then it's back to square 1. Must be so frustrating for him. Love watching him play.

Murray to play mens doubles at Wimbledon with Pierre Hugues Herbert. He's looking for a partner for mixed. Lots of names flying around Twitter -Azarenka, Venus, Garcia, Ostapenko, Hsieh to name a few. Strycova threw her hat in as well.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Del Potro said on Instagram he doesn't know if his match against Shapovalov will be his last. So yeah, it's looking like it really is all over now. And even if he comes back, he's approaching 31, very hard to see him being any kind of competitive force in the game again.

Not surprised Osaka lost in Birmingham, but to lose to Putintseva...

Laughed at Sharapova getting dragged by a not fully fit Kerber. I wonder how long more she'll continue with this tragic 'comeback'.

Great to see Muray back to winning ways, albeit just in doubles. It'll be interesting to see what he could do in singles if he really is pain-free as he says. Will be kinda awkward for all those who wished him luck on his impending 'retirement' at the beginning of the year though :pac:

Arguably the biggest story of the week is that Ashleigh Barty is just two wins away from the world #1 ranking. Would probably be the most incredible, improbable rise to the top ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Del Potro said on Instagram he doesn't know if his match against Shapovalov will be his last. So yeah, it's looking like it really is all over now. And even if he comes back, he's approaching 31, very hard to see him being any kind of competitive force in the game again.

Not surprised Osaka lost in Birmingham, but to lose to Putintseva...

Laughed at Sharapova getting dragged by a not fully fit Kerber. I wonder how long more she'll continue with this tragic 'comeback'.

Great to see Muray back to winning ways, albeit just in doubles. It'll be interesting to see what he could do in singles if he really is pain-free as he says. Will be kinda awkward for all those who wished him luck on his impending 'retirement' at the beginning of the year though :pac:

Arguably the biggest story of the week is that Ashleigh Barty is just two wins away from the world #1 ranking. Would probably be the most incredible, improbable rise to the top ever.

Yeah, even more improbable than Osaka's. Am a big Barty fan, remarkable athlete who could easily have been a pro in 3 sports whichever way the wind blew her, but does seem a little quick to be reaching the top which i'd have to say is a bit of a stain on the likes of Halep and others who really should have been taking a grip on the top after Williams grip loosened. Not sure it will help her going into wimbledon either if she does become no.1, all that added pressure to cope with. Osaka definitely looks diminished by it at the moment anyway.

Osaka is a bit of a weird one, difficult to know what's going on there fully. The mysterious split from Bajin was very odd, even more so when an expert from his new book was released this week saying how he'd still like to work with her, which I'm sure Mladenovic must be thrilled with. Osaka also refused her press conference after losing in Birmingham, which she was subsequently fined for. Although looking closer her year so far post Melbourne hasn't actually been that bad, clay is still a work in progress for her, and outside of RG and Dubai she's generally lost to quality players. So far she's still a big match player, so Wimbledon should be interesting to see what happens, particularly if she loses the #1 going into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I think by her recent standards Osaka would have to describe her season post-melbourne (post split) as poor, at least form wise. Or maybe uneventful might be a better word. Clay season never really got going and while you could say she dug in well to win two close matches in Roland Garros, really she wasn't in good form there at all. Body language wasn't great last week which is a bit worrying too, i'm sure she will regain the thread at some point, but wouldn't have much confidence of it happening at wimbledon. She remains too much of a novice on grass for me to have faith in her at this moment. Really is anyone's guess who's going to be there at the business end this year. I'd fancy one or even both of Kerber or Williams to be fit enough to do themselves justice and be contenders right to the end.

Muzza and Feli looking good for the doubles.

Ashleigh Barty is the new world #1. Crazy. She only entered the top ten a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Rafa seeded 3rd behind Djokovic and Federer.

Rafa seeded 3rd behind Djokovic and Federer.

That was always gonna be the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Finding it very difficult to muster much enthusiasm for Wimbledon this year

No-one outseide the "big 4" has won it since 2002 and can't see that changing this year

Cilic is out of form, Anderson out of form, Del Potro missing, Raonic always injured, Dimitrov/Kyrgios always flatter to deceive, Tsiptisas is too raw on grass, Thiem not great on grass, Zverev is allergic to slams - who else is there?

Think the big 3 will all stroll to the semis, with Djokovic the most likely winner again

• Advertisement

I thought fed looked good in Halle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Zverev is allergic to slams

Ha, love this.

Realistically I think it's Djokovic's to lose but Nadal's run last year and then reaching the Australian final (despite the result) and winning the French has given me hope that the 2012-17 results have been consigned to history and there's no Lukas Rosol, Steve Darcis or Dustin Brown lurking in the early rounds.

If there are no early slip-ups, I can only see Djokovic, Nadal and Federer stopping each other, with Djokovic clearly a step above the other two.

This is always such a weird time in the tennis calendar, we've had non-top tennis for weeks on end and now it just comes to a sudden halt. Well I know there's still tennis on during July, but I don't think too many of us will be rushing to find a stream of Isner in Newport. Three weeks until it kicks into gear again with Toronto/Montreal and six weeks until the US Open!

No-one outseide the "big 4" has won it since 2002 and can't see that changing this year

Cilic is out of form, Anderson out of form, Del Potro missing, Raonic always injured, Dimitrov/Kyrgios always flatter to deceive, Tsiptisas is too raw on grass, Thiem not great on grass, Zverev is allergic to slams - who else is there?

Think the big 3 will all stroll to the semis, with Djokovic the most likely winner again

Exactly this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

So are we going with this again for the US? Change it slightly as others have won the US but still seems unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Wouldn't be absurd if Roger won at Flushing Meadows, 11 years after his last triumph...

Nobody mentioned how they think Nadal would have done yesterday had it been him across the net from Nole?

Christy42 wrote: »
    So are we going with this again for the US? Change it slightly as others have won the US but still seems unlikely.

I guess so, why wouldn't we? Obviously we'll see how things go in Montreal/Cincinnati, but I can't see too much changing in the next six weeks.

walshb wrote: »
    Wouldn't be absurd if Roger won at Flushing Meadows, 11 years after his last triumph...

Nobody mentioned how they think Nadal would have done yesterday had it been him across the net from Nole?

I think he'd need someone to take out Djokovic though, this Wimbledon defeat will be quite damaging mentally.

And I don't think the final result would've been any different if it was Nadal in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think he's need someone to take out Djokovic though, this Wimbledon defeat will be quite damaging mentally.

And I don't think the final result would've been any different if it was Nadal in the final.

I think Nole would have beaten Nadal in straight sets...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

I guess so, why wouldn't we? Obviously we'll see how things go in Montreal/Cincinnati, but I can't see too much changing in the next six weeks.

Indeed. Though not too much. The younger generation seem more capable of creating an upset in 3 and don't seem as scared of the big guns during the 1000 series.

Advertisement