Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

Seadin wrote: »
    Gachla wrote: »
    Dublin will beat Kerry by 10+ points. It will be a cakewalk. It will bring us all a step closer to ending this farce.

I bet you it won't. They be less than a score in it and Kerry could win. I remember back to 2013 semi final when Dublin were hot favourites that day and barely won it that day after a very shaky start. I would expect the same the next day. Kerry will be fired up for Dublin. Pressure will be on Dublin to deliver.

Yes they'll be fired up and stopping Dublin doing 5 in a row would be worth more than the all Ireland but you could drive a coach and four through their defence. Their only hope is to drop the 2 midfielders in front of the centre back and sacrifice a wing forward to sit deep and carry forward. Ironically O Brien would best suited to the role. Then hit Dublin on the break keeping Dublin honest by keeping Geaney, and Clifford close to goal and Sean O Shea linking around midfield and half forward. They must leave 4 to 5 up and the rest play deep. Still can't see them win it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Seadin

threeball wrote: »
    Yes they'll be fired up and stopping Dublin doing 5 in a row would be worth more than the all Ireland but you could drive a coach and four through their defence. Their only hope is to drop the 2 midfielders in front of the centre back and sacrifice a wing forward to sit deep and carry forward. Ironically O Brien would best suited to the role. Then hit Dublin on the break keeping Dublin honest by keeping Geaney, and Clifford close to goal and Sean O Shea linking around midfield and half forward. They must leave 4 to 5 up and the rest play deep. Still can't see them win it though.

Dublin had a poor first half yesterday. If they start like that against Kerry i think they will lose. I don't know why im the only one thinking like that. But i have seen many kerry teams in the past in all levels beating opposition that weren't supposed to lose. Kerry know how to win and i can see them beating Dublin. They be nothing between these teams come All Ireland final day.

Seadin wrote: »

Dublin had a poor first half yesterday. If they start like that against Kerry i think they will lose.

You have to give credit to Mayo for that. They played well in the first half but Dublin have this "championship quarter" that the Aussie rules lads are big into down to a tee and blew them away. Mayo had a huge battle 7 days previously while half the Dublin team had their feet up. So I think that's why we saw no fight from Mayo and Mayo have a much better defence than Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Seadin

You have to give credit to Mayo for that. They played well in the first half but Dublin have this "championship quarter" that the Aussie rules lads are big into down to a tee and blew them away. Mayo had a huge battle 7 days previously while half the Dublin team had their feet up. So I think that's why we saw no fight from Mayo and Mayo have a much better defence than Kerry.

Theres pressure on Dublin to deliver the 5 in a row. Kerry will be fired up to stop it. I can see Kerry doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Tyrone never exploited the weakness in Kerry’s FB line, there were goals to be had against Kerry by playing off mcshane and the one time they did it was saved.

Goals win games and Dublin have a lot of people who can score them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

It would be ironic if Kerry do to Dublin what was done to them thirty seven years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

siblers wrote: »
    Are Kerry able to appeal O'Brien's black card against Meath?

Yes, there is zero chance he will actually be suspended

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Don't know where to ask this but does anyone else feel games in the latter part of the football championship should be longer than 35 minutes per half?

I'm not a big GAA fan and tend only to watch the latter stages of the All Ireland.

My own opinion is I can't see why it should not be 40 minutes. I think it would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

It would be ironic if Kerry do to Dublin what was done to them thirty seven years ago.

Even better crack when Dublin do what they could not :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

Don't know where to ask this but does anyone else feel games in the latter part of the football championship should be longer than 35 minutes per half?

I'm not a big GAA fan and tend only to watch the latter stages of the All Ireland.

My own opinion is I can't see why it should not be 40 minutes. I think it would be better.

It is constituted regarding minutes of play. This would lead to a lot of politics and egos clashing more so then they already do.

• Advertisement

I think 70mins is plenty to ask amateur players in a fast and physical game. They play 40 in rugby and they have large breaks in play and tend to walk around alot on the edges of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭doc_17

Time for Mickey Harte to let someone else have a go at it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

dobman88 wrote:
    It was Brolly that took hold of the witch hunt after the Cavanagh incident and kicked off on telly.

dobman88 wrote:
    But dont let that clear fact get in the way.

I wasn't talking about Cavanagh. The rulebook incident i spoke about was Spillane. He had it printed out and was slapping it off his hands.

It was Bonnie talking about Cavanagh dobman, keep up young man!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

35000 at an All Ireland Semi Final. That money lost on empty seats will surely wake the fat cats at the top up to do something.

Just read Chris Barretts article in the Irish Times. 8 Mayo players having to get buses at 3pm out of Lucan to make it back to Mayo for training midweek. Balancing work and family life too and not getting paid for it either.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/work/mayo-s-chris-barrett-balancing-work-and-play-for-gaa-not-sustainable-any-more-1.3981640

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Stoner wrote: »
    I wasn't talking about Cavanagh. The rulebook incident i spoke about was Spillane. He had it printed out and was slapping it off his hands.

It was Bonnie talking about Cavanagh dobman, keep up young man!!

Yera, twas a follow on from that post so twas relevant.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

threeball wrote:
    Except that's not the point he made at all. He referenced the Cavanagh incident which spillage had nothing to do with. It was brolly. So his post had no "facts" at all.

I don't know why you are both tackling me on someone else's post.

The fact is that spillane influences these decisions as I said, he has produced a rule book when it suits Kerry. He did it for the Connelly incident with the ref, didn't do it for the Andy Moran one.

As is stands three black cards is a suspension. I doubt the powers that be will go through with it, I think he should play myself given the amount of decisions they overturn its almost unfair to uphold one, but he should be consistent in his approach to these things. He should really keep quiet about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

STB. wrote: »
    O Brien wont be playing in the final.

Probable been covered already, but how did the Man of the Match award go to a player involved in the sort of end game cynical professional fouling that black cards were supposedly brought in by the GAA to prevent? Think I heard someone suggesting that such fouls in the last 10 mins of a match should be automatic reds?

How many posts in a row has Bonniedog given a variation of "I HATE Kerry" and had it liked by BonnieSituation?

I never said I hated Kerry!

Unless pointing to inconsistencies regarding the treatment of Kerry players as opposed to others by a certain pundit of that parish is evidence of hatred.

I don't personally care or think it matters in the wider scheme of things whether he plays or not.

But you can be certain that Pat would not be calling for an amnesty if it was a player from a county about to Kerry in a final!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I never said I hated Kerry!

Unless pointing to inconsistencies regarding the treatment of Kerry players as opposed to others by a certain pundit of that parish is evidence of hatred.

I don't personally care or think it matters in the wider scheme of things whether he plays or not.

But you can be certain that Pat would not be calling for an amnesty if it was a player from a county about to Kerry in a final!

* thanks post *

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

recyclebin wrote: »
    35000 at an All Ireland Semi Final. That money lost on empty seats will surely wake the fat cats at the top up to do something.

Just read Chris Barretts article in the Irish Times. 8 Mayo players having to get buses at 3pm out of Lucan to make it back to Mayo for training midweek. Balancing work and family life too and not getting paid for it either.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/work/mayo-s-chris-barrett-balancing-work-and-play-for-gaa-not-sustainable-any-more-1.3981640

I think it was in Mícheál Ó Muircheartaighs book that he used to run training sessions for Dublin based Kerry players in the 70s/80s could counties not do the same?

• Advertisement

* thanks post *

Thanks post thanking previous post.

(Ma Bonnie will be proud of us.)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I think it was in Mícheál Ó Muircheartaighs book that he used to run training sessions for Dublin based Kerry players in the 70s/80s could counties not do the same?

John O'Mahony did this years ago for Dublin-based players from many counties as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Mayo had that in 2000s because one of the management team was also based there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Mayo had that in 2000s because one of the management team was also based there.

They still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭munster87

The Bonnies are on fire this evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Game has changed a lot. Most of Kerry training in the eighties was running the sh**e out of lads. Could be done anywhere. Nowadays squads need to train together playing at any sort of decent standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭C__MC

Kerry certainly will need to up it big time
    They definitely upped in the second half no doubt but Tyrone and maurice Keegan handed them thr initiative.
    Frank burns gave the ball away for the goal and Tyrone missed at least a further 1.3

Pace and power will be hard to.stop. I think Dublin will play with plenty of men back, cant see them going man to man like 2016 or 2013. Way to risky as Kerry forwards are lethal, o brien a huge loss though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Tyrone are pointless. Supremely fit and athletic but a load of very bang average footballers.

They're consistent is all and Mickey has the process well down at this stage. Always know how to get to the latter stages without actually being very good.

Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,114 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I wonder is that the end of Mickey Harte when the dust settles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭blowitupref

A more competitive semi final than yesterday as expected but once again it was a good 2nd half display that put both finalists into the final.

Tyrone 1st half was in control and had the winning of the game and will be left even more disappointed when they watch that game back during the week. To Kerry's credit it was a fine turnaround and in game they won by one score the goal was clearly key.

Big improvement for Kerry on last year, didn't reach the last 4 last summer and have now reached both the NFL and AI final however i would have to fear for them in this upcoming final though, as Kerry still have major issues yet in defence and i feel it will be another year or two before they are a bit more defensively solid to be competitive v Dublin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement