Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So the new ''W series Racing'' series Starts next Weekend

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Wow. That was some great racing being done by all of the competitors.

Congratulations to Jamie Chadwick for becoming W Series Champion. She deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Good on Chadwick
    I don't think she's eligible to be in contention for a Williams race seat (super licence points) but hopefully this won't be the last we'll see of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

What is with the flag for Visser? That's not the Dutch flag, is it even a real flag?

flazio wrote: »
    Good on Chadwick
    I don't think she's eligible to be in contention for a Williams race seat (super licence points) but hopefully this won't be the last we'll see of her.

Shame there's no points on offer for this year but good they will have it in future. She could always enter this again next season to try and pick up some points that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

flazio wrote: »
    Good on Chadwick

Oh it definitely will not be the last we see of her. She will be back to defend her title next year. The top 12 get to race in it again next year the rest have to qualify for it again.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

skipper_G wrote: »
    What is with the flag for Visser? That's not the Dutch flag, is it even a real flag?

It's the flag for Friesland, her region of the Netherlands. No idea why, maybe it's like putting an Ulster flag behind a Northern Irish driver who doesn't want to be identified as British

Ms

So there should be more tracks in this next year and they are thinking of going to America and Asia in 2021.

Also testing is starting next month. That's quick. Awe its drivers they will be testing. Could be a great series that and I think it was a missed opportunity to not have made a series out of the drivers for this been picked from 60 to 20 could have been great.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    So there should be more tracks in this next year and they are thinking of going to America and Asia in 2021.

Also testing is starting next month. That's quick. Awe its drivers they will be testing. Could be a great series that and I think it was a missed opportunity to not have made a series out of the drivers for this been picked from 60 to 20 could have been great.

And they mentioned there were several people from F1 there and all were very impressed with the setup. I wonder would this be the kind of series that might just appeal to an F1 brand trying to engage a new audience. Complete hypothetical with no basis in fact, but I could see this as a support series for F1

• Registered Users Posts: 29,995 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Was a decent race. Hopefully series will be back next year and keep the momentum it's got going

Ms

Anyone disappointed that this was not on the sports news on C4, Sky, CNN or any other channel that does sports news. It has been before and surely with it been the last race of the season and the one that decided the series champion it would have been worth reporting. Very disappointed with that.

Edit: Just watching the BBC 10 news there now and they had a bit on it. Fair play to them. All the other stations should be ashamed of themselves.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

This is no bigger than the likes of Touring Cars, Formula 2 or 3 or even Formula E. They never get any coverage either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Why should they be ashamed? Plenty of other sports don't get front page coverage on the news.

I think you're getting at the fact that a women's series shouldn't get special treatment? I agree in the sporting sense, it gets the same treatment as other sports on a par with this. But the purpose is more than sporting - it's about breaking down barriers to equality - so the media coverage should follow suit.

I wouldn't go as far as saying they should be ashamed, but the purpose of the series is undermined if it doesn't get any coverage

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I think you're getting at the fact that a women's series shouldn't get special treatment? I agree in the sporting sense, it gets the same treatment as other sports on a par with this. But the purpose is more than sporting - it's about breaking down barriers to equality - so the media coverage should follow suit.

I wouldn't go as far as saying they should be ashamed, but the purpose of the series is undermined if it doesn't get any coverage

There is perfect equality already if a female driver was quick enough they would be in F1 and winning championships fact is they are not and certainly don’t deserve special treatment in fact that would be inequality. F1 has enough support series with F2, F3 and Porsche certainly does not need a female racing series just to look with the times.

TCP/IP wrote: »
    There is perfect equality already if a female driver was quick enough they would be in F1 and winning championships fact is they are not and certainly don’t deserve special treatment in fact that would be inequality. F1 has enough support series with F2, F3 and Porsche certainly does not need a female racing series just to look with the times.

Well there are two potential reasons why we don't see women; they are either not as quick as men or they don't get the same opportunities. Are you saying, as it appears that you are, that women get all the opportunities men do? Men are just better at racing than women?

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

F1 teams would take any person if they were quick enough. In fact a women would be marketing gold for a team. Fact is they are too slow at the highest level that is F1.

F1 teams would take any person if they were quick enough. In fact a women would be marketing gold for a team. Fact is they are too slow at the highest level that is F1.

Im not arguing what, I'm arguing why. On the point above i agree, but why don't we see women is the question.

TCP IP gave an interesting answer. Anecdotal but would suggest there are few barriers to women. Personally I'm agnostic on the matter, but would require more solid evidence to convince me women don't find it more difficult. At the sharp end when you need your wits about you, being a woman in a male environment could distract now and again. And i mean that in terms of not having the same rapport as a group of lads. That can affect mood, positivity, performance. Tthat could be a podium vs outside the top ten. One simple, non tangible example of why. WS is a good experiment to see if such things matter

Im not arguing what, I'm arguing why. On the point above i agree, but why don't we see women is the question.

TCP IP gave an interesting answer. Anecdotal but would suggest there are few barriers to women. Personally I'm agnostic on the matter, but would require more solid evidence to convince me women don't find it more difficult. At the sharp end when you need your wits about you, being a woman in a male environment could distract now and again. And i mean that in terms of not having the same rapport as a group of lads. That can affect mood, positivity, performance. Tthat could be a podium vs outside the top ten. One simple, non tangible example of why. WS is a good experiment to see if such things matter
    You're agnostic but your default position is that it would be harder for women? Hmmm.

You're agnostic but your default position is that it would be harder for women? Hmmm.

I offered anecdotal reasons for to counter the anecdotal reasons against. Anecdotes are dangerous though, solid evidence is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,903 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Reverse grid is a gimmick. Wouldn’t be accepted in F1 where big money is at stake.

I never understood this attitude. F1 is a sport, the entire thing is a made up gimmick. Reverse grid (in championship order) sprint race would be the best part of the weekend.

Hamilton starting at the back beside verstappen, having to pass their way through the grid and battle each other. It would be amazing to watch.

Cricket has a 5 day format which is great but difficult to watch. So they have shorter versions of the game. The recent 50 over, one day world cup was a massive success. I went to a 20 over match after work a couple of weeks ago. Great event. Lots of fun and it fit into the night. Started at 6.30 and finished at about 9.30. Perfect. There's even a shorter time limited version with about 15 overs.

Cricket could have said "no. Short versions of cricket are too gimmicky. Can't be done". But they didn't and they have grown their fanbase enormously.

It's sport. Not real life. They can do whatever they want because the entire event is a gimmick - a great gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I never understood this attitude. F1 is a sport, the entire thing is a made up gimmick. Reverse grid (in championship order) sprint race would be the best part of the weekend.

Hamilton starting at the back beside verstappen, having to pass their way through the grid and battle each other. It would be amazing to watch.

Cricket has a 5 day format which is great but difficult to watch. So they have shorter versions of the game. The recent 50 over, one day world cup was a massive success. I went to a 20 over match after work a couple of weeks ago. Great event. Lots of fun and it fit into the night. Started at 6.30 and finished at about 9.30. Perfect. There's even a shorter time limited version with about 15 overs.

Cricket could have said "no. Short versions of cricket are too gimmicky. Can't be done". But they didn't and they have grown their fanbase enormously.

It's sport. Not real life. They can do whatever they want because the entire event is a gimmick - a great gimmick.

big money comes for big audiences both at the race or on tv.
    the people turn up to see great racing and great battles.
    right now we are not getting that.

i firmly believe that reverse grids cold work add something to the race weekend.
    i would split the race into 2 seperate races so that boring part in the middle isnt needed and drivers can push harder .

not sure how to implement it .
    if you do reverse of the qualifying then they will slow down to be closer to the front.
    if you use the use the result order from the last race then it will benifit teams to retire the car early in the race

using the championship order (as it changes) or constructers order would probably be the best

i would really like to see it tested and see how it fairs out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I can tell you from personal experience they get much more opportunities at the lower levels.

Absolutely - the publicity return alone would be insane, and not just for the team: it'd be an incredible opportunity for the sponsors, not to mention Formula 1 as a whole, to ride the current cultural wave.
    Well there are two potential reasons why we don't see women; they are either not as quick as men or they don't get the same opportunities. Are you saying, as it appears that you are, that women get all the opportunities men do? Men are just better at racing than women?

Well, there is an obvious third one and that is the lack of source material, in other words - very few girls even try to go for motorsports. Out of 100 guys who start racing in karts, maybe 1 will make it to Formula 1. If there aren't even the 100 girls to begin with, it goes without saying that getting one through all the hoops and in the maximum category will be nigh and impossible task.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Well, there is an obvious third one and that is the lack of source material, in other words - very few girls even try to go for motorsports. Out of 100 guys who start racing in karts, maybe 1 will make it to Formula 1. If there aren't even the 100 girls to begin with, it goes without saying that getting one through all the hoops and in the maximum category will be nigh and impossible task.

Yep. If only a tiny percentage of drivers in motorsport make it to F1, and only a tiny percentage of those drivers are female, then statistically the odds of a woman making it to F1 are extremely low.

So the solution is to get more young girls interested in motorsport. That's a good reason why a series like this should be given more media attention than it otherwise deserves. If girls see women racing on the TV then it shows them it's not a sport just for men, and will hopefully encourage a lot more to take it up.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I see Jamie Chadwick has made it onto the 10 person shortlist for the Autosport award and from the looks of the list would be in with a decent shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Yep. If only a tiny percentage of drivers in motorsport make it to F1, and only a tiny percentage of those drivers are female, then statistically the odds of a woman making it to F1 are extremely low.

So the solution is to get more young girls interested in motorsport. That's a good reason why a series like this should be given more media attention than it otherwise deserves. If girls see women racing on the TV then it shows them it's not a sport just for men, and will hopefully encourage a lot more to take it up.

Ideally, yes, but there are so many other factors - having a "women only" series sends the incorrect message that the sport is segregated. Little girl wants to do karting, goes to the track with mommy or daddy, finds out she has to "race with boys", she's the only girl, and doesn't want to do it anymore. But then there's the obvious conundrum of "somewhere, it has to start".

A lot of it is culture and mentality - in an hypothetical situation where money was no object, little boy wants to play football, go for karate or race karts, the parents let him try. Little girl wants to do the same, mommy tries to steer her towards ballet or gymnastics. It's the same as with the classic "lack of women in IT" situation, I've seen it with my own eyes - and that's why I specifically say "mom"; I've heard the "sure its for boys" argument exclusively from moms when I used to participate in initiatives like CoderDojo and even a promotion for "women in STEM".

And we need to face the possibility that the girls themselves might simply not be attracted by the sport; I've mentioned this before, but there was a picture taken at the Formula 1 eSports qualifiers with all the contestants, some 100 people or so. We're talking an F1 videogame that you can play in your living room and whose "access barrier" is a 250 Euro console; There were lads from every country, of every shape and extraction - from the sports jock to the stereotypical "game nerd". What was the glaring oddity? Not one single woman.

This "Rokit" group really wants to be known throughout motorsports, first it takes over Williams title sponsorship, then does the same at Venturi Formula E team and is now the sponsor of the entire W series.
    https://www.motorsport.com/w-series/news/rokit-unveiled-first-sponsor-2020/4608118/

W series added to the support bill for two F1 races this season at Austin and Mexico. That's a pretty big development for a series only in it's second season.

https://www.motorsport.com/w-series/news/support-bill-austin-mexico-f1/4651997/

Ms

skipper_G wrote: »
    W series added to the support bill for two F1 races this season at Austin and Mexico. That's a pretty big development for a series only in it's second season.

https://www.motorsport.com/w-series/news/support-bill-austin-mexico-f1/4651997/

Thats great news. Delighted. That will get it noticed a lot more. Nice tracks to race on too. I would say the W series drivers will also be delighted.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

That is fantastic news. Great exposure for the drivers, and even the mechanics/engineers who get shared around during the season.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I see Jamie Chadwick is driving in the F3 Asian series with Pinnacle Motorsport, which are an Irish team. I wonder if there's any way to catch some coverage as it looks competitive enough, plus it's very nice to hear the national anthem (missed the last round when one of the team's drivers won).

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

astrofluff wrote: »
    I see Jamie Chadwick is driving in the F3 Asian series with Pinnacle Motorsport, which are an Irish team. I wonder if there's any way to catch some coverage as it looks competitive enough, plus it's very nice to hear the national anthem (missed the last round when one of the team's drivers won).

They stream the races on their YouTube channel. You can watch the races from Dubai as well

Advertisement