Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

So the new ''W series Racing'' series Starts next Weekend

  • #1
    Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭ AMKC


    First round at Hockenheim

    Saturday on Channel 4 at 14.45.

    What are your thoughts on this and Who's going to give it a watch?


«1345

Comments



  • I'll try to stay open minded and will certainly give it a watch. But we won't know if it's a success until some drivers progress into normal racing series. At the very least some TV exposure might help the drivers in the commercial aspect with sponsorship etc




  • Good that it's free to air, hopefully live. Will try watch if I can




  • Hadn't heard about this, will definitely tune in.




  • skipper_G wrote: »
    I'll try to stay open minded and will certainly give it a watch. But we won't know if it's a success until some drivers progress into normal racing series.

    What's that even supposed to mean? What's a "normal racing series"? Many of the racers in this series have raced in Formula 3, various GT championships and numerous touring car championships.




  • OSI wrote: »
    What's that even supposed to mean? What's a "normal racing series"? Many of the racers in this series have raced in Formula 3, various GT championships and numerous touring car championships.

    Oh come on you know perfectly well what it means. A normal racing series where you don't have half the population excluded and more than half of competitors excluded.


  • Advertisement


  • Buttonftw wrote: »
    Oh come on you know perfectly well what it means. A normal racing series where you don't have half the population excluded and more than half of competitors excluded.

    And as I've already pointed out, they all already race in such "normal" racing series.




  • OSI wrote: »
    And as I've already pointed out, they all already race in such "normal" racing series.

    The word progress was used. I clicked the first 5 or so drivers on the wiki page and most do sportscar racing. One was in Formula 4 10 years ago and there's not many to get excited about that I can see. If the main standard is drivers who do Abarth racing or people who basically haven't gotten a drive since they were in Formula Renault 5 years ago I won't be too interested. This is being treated as a big deal above the level of more advanced and higher quality *ahem* "normal" series.




  • OSI wrote: »
    What's that even supposed to mean? What's a "normal racing series"? Many of the racers in this series have raced in Formula 3, various GT championships and numerous touring car championships.

    It means a normal racing series, pick any of the regular feeder series. Formula 4, Formula 3, Formula 2 for example. Somewhere they can be judged on merit against the best drivers regardless of their gender. I really don't care if they are woman or man, just that they are competitive. In this series I'm very excited to see Jamie Chadwick, heard some positive things about her. She won the MRF series recently which usually has a decent field.




  • skipper_G wrote: »
    It means a normal racing series, pick any of the regular feeder series. Formula 4, Formula 3, Formula 2 for example. Somewhere they can be judged on merit against the best drivers regardless of their gender. I really don't care if they are woman or man, just that they are competitive. In this series I'm very excited to see Jamie Chadwick, heard some positive things about her. She won the MRF series recently which usually has a decent field.

    Let's not go overboard with the fallacy that other series are all full of drivers purely there based on merit, there are no shortage of little rich boys playing racing driver with daddy's money in all categories right up to F1. Motorsport may not be as wealth dependent as it once was with more avenues for young talents to get on without personal money/sponsorship but having bags of cash is still a huge aspect of driver advancement.

    This series will mainly be mid-talent drivers but hopefully there will be a few decent prospects who can use it to progress to the upper formulas. Having women drivers in the likes of F1 would be a very good thing but only if they are good enough to compete.




  • Vic_08 wrote: »
    Let's not go overboard with the fallacy that other series are all full of drivers purely there based on merit, there are no shortage of little rich boys playing racing driver with daddy's money in all categories right up to F1. Motorsport may not be as wealth dependent as it once was with more avenues for young talents to get on without personal money/sponsorship but having bags of cash is still a huge aspect of driver advancement.

    This series will mainly be mid-talent drivers but hopefully there will be a few decent prospects who can use it to progress to the upper formulas. Having women drivers in the likes of F1 would be a very good thing but only if they are good enough to compete.

    I never suggested that, there are drivers who bring cash, drivers who bring talent and drivers who bring both. Pay drivers have always been and always will be involved in racing. It's the nature of the beast. Typically these days, the top prospects either have a relationship with a junior team or a commercial sponsorship that allows them to race, they simply cannot do it alone. But the quality usually gets to the front, the most recent round of F2 graduates demonstrate that.

    I hope this series identifies the ones who have the talent and gives them a platform for future success.


  • Advertisement


  • AMKC wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on this and Who's going to give it a watch?

    If the racing proves to be good, then maybe. But ultimately I think that the concept of the series - at least in the sense of it being created base on the argument that "motor sports was never traditionally segregated by gender" - is flawed.




  • No offence,but whats the betting the status quo will be maintained.




  • Woodsie1 wrote: »
    No offence,but whats the betting the status quo will be maintained.

    I'm not sure what you mean?




  • First race is this Saturday at Hockenheim, live on Channel 4 at 2:45pm




  • Feck it. Going to have to record it now. Not going to be able to watch it live now as something has come up.




  • Bump

    Race Starts at 3.10pm




  • Strange, looked like she didnt brake at all




  • Car colours are a disaster. Need to individualise each driver to a car colour




  • Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Car colours are a disaster. Need to individualise each driver to a car colour

    Will they be changing car colours each race, since they get allocated a random car




  • Compared to other cars what sort of level are these cars?

    GP3?

    First impression is not a fan of the graphics, little hard to read.


  • Advertisement


  • They are Formula 3 cars I think

    So has Ted Kravitz moved from sky to channel 4... or will he be back on sky
    Coulthard having a bit of trouble identifying the drivers




  • They are Formula 3 cars I think

    So has Ted Kravitz moved from sky to channel 4... or will he be back on sky
    Coulthard having a bit of trouble identifying the drivers

    They are Formula 3 cars yep. Ted was on Sky last week, he's doing both.

    The drivers are a little difficult to distinguish, maybe they can make the personalised elements a bit bigger




  • Wasn't a bad race, bit of action throughout the field. Despite the mistake Chadwick looks the pick of the bunch, pole and win is a nice way to start.




  • Short race, first few laps were okay

    Drying track probably didnt help things
    Not much of a crowd
    5/10




  • Not bad really , drive of the race probably Koyama 19th to 7 and all on track over takes.




  • Jamie Chadwick certainly seemed like the best racer this weekend on this track. It will be interesting to see if she can stay ahead for every race or if it might be a different driver each time.
    I agree Koyama was driver of the day. The on screen graphics seemed fine to me very easy to read. Compare that to Formula e or F1 on Sky. Both there graphics are far too small and very hard to read.

    Had to laugh when Garcia put on Jamie's cap and then it was quickly noticed and caps changed around.




  • AMKC wrote: »
    Had to laugh when Garcia put on Jamie's cap and then it was quickly noticed and caps changed around.

    The cap was yanked off her head pretty roughly




  • Joeface wrote: »
    Not bad really , drive of the race probably Koyama 19th to 7 and all on track over takes.

    And. possibly Garcia? She made some good progress earlier but then seemed to stalled in third.




  • I watched the race. Half decent like any Motorsport race of that level. I'm wondering was Chadwick's car just really well setup, or if she's on another level?!


  • Advertisement


  • Watched race, enjoyed it but wish it was longer. What is limiting factor right now, TV slots? Surely not tyres or fuel.

    Will watch again this weekend


Advertisement