Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

Limpy wrote: »
    The bag must fit under the seat from a dimensions perspective. But it may be stored in an overhead locker.

Seen many people with non priority carrying a second smaller bag from krakow. Nobody was stopped.

They can bring a second bag of duty free.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 CelticSeaShip

I will be going on a cruise soon. It was booked through a travel agents. The package includes flights, transport, week on cruise.

Will be flying with Ryanair from Dublin. I don't know what sort of boarding is included in the package. I will be checking in a bag and hoping to keep it under 20kg. I did a very rough pack tonight by packing a very rough estimate of what I will need and it came to 13kg.

I was hoping on carrying a backpack and a handbag as carry on. I read Ryanairs baggage allowance and for non priority boarding, only one bag is allowed. That's disappointing. I could pack an empty handbag into my check in luggage and make do with the back pack.

So that leaves me with the backpack as carry on. How strict is Ryanair for size? Their site says 40 × 30 × 20. My backpack is 46cm tall. I suspect the backpack will be full without a handbag with me.

fizzypish wrote: »
    Hi,
    Have to transport a few instruments from Amsterdam to Faro. Acoustic guitar, fiddle, banjo, bodhran and a mandolin. Anybody have experience with this? I imagine Ryanair will charge a seat each instrument? The musicians will not put their babies in the cargo hold. I'm not musical myself but I completely understand. Any tricks or tips appreciated.

Since the musicians won't put their instruments in the cargo hold, options will be limited...

- A seat would have to be purchased for the larger instruments like the acoustic guitar and banjo.

- Depending on the size of the instrument's hardcase, they would likely get the fiddle, bodhrán and mandolin on to the plane as an item of carry-on luggage.

Ryanair's fee for instruments like guitars to be checked in the hold is €50 each way. I know you said that your musicians won't do this, but plenty of musicians do and thankfully the horror stories are in the extreme minority.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I will be going on a cruise soon. It was booked through a travel agents. The package includes flights, transport, week on cruise.

I was hoping on carrying a backpack and a handbag as carry on.

Just remember that you will need a second bag if you're going on a cruise. When you check in at the quayside, you will leave your main bag at a bag drop from where it will be taken on board and delivered to outside your cabin, maybe up to an hour or two after you board. So it's advisable to have a second bag for essentials like medication, suncream etc.

I was on a cruise once where the bags were loaded initially to the wrong decks and we didn't get our bags until 1 a.m.

More importantly, on the last night of the cruise, you have to leave your main bag outside your cabin by about 1 a.m. and the next time you see it will be in a warehouse on the quays after you disembark. Which means that you will need a separate carry bag for your toothbrush and PJs.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 CelticSeaShip

coylemj wrote: »
    Just remember that you will need a second bag if you're going on a cruise. When you check in at the quayside, you will leave your main bag at a bag drop from where it will be taken on board and delivered to outside your cabin, maybe up to an hour or two after you board. So it's advisable to have a second bag for essentials like medication, suncream etc.

I was on a cruise once where the bags were loaded initially to the wrong decks and we didn't get our bags until 1 a.m.

More importantly, on the last night of the cruise, you have to leave your main bag outside your cabin by about 1 a.m. and the next time you see it will be in a warehouse on the quays after you disembark. Which means that you will need a separate carry bag for your toothbrush and PJs.

Thanks for your reply. I will have a bag for check in at the airport. When I get to the destination airport, I pick it up again there, travel to the port and start the whole check in process for the ship.

My partner won't be carrying a carry on. So I will have a backpack and handbag and when we get to the airport I will give him my backpack so that should hopefully cover Ryanairs one carry on policy. Its likely I will have some of his supplies in my backpack too.

I was on a cruise last year and I found that part of packing the night before stressful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone know if those little kids wheeled suitcases called Trunki's are acceptable as cabin baggage on Ryanair?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trunki-Childrens-Ride-Suitcase-Luggage/dp/B001A29DPA

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

NIMAN wrote: »
    Anyone know if those little kids wheeled suitcases called Trunki's are acceptable as cabin baggage on Ryanair?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trunki-Childrens-Ride-Suitcase-Luggage/dp/B001A29DPA

Are they within the dimensions?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Wiffles

Hi All, are the CUL Camp Backpacks ok to use the Ryanair flight. We are flying tomorrow and was going to use these as the kids carry on bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Wiffles wrote: »
    Hi All, are the CUL Camp Backpacks ok to use the Ryanair flight. We are flying tomorrow and was going to use these as the kids carry on bag?

Standard backpacks are fine, I've even seen some larger ones get on. The backpack I bring takes more than my carry on case

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Wiffles

Caranica wrote: »
    Standard backpacks are fine, I've even seen some larger ones get on. The backpack I bring takes more than my carry on case
    Thanks Caranica, that's great. I'm such a worry head when it comes to the baggage especially with Ryanair.

• Advertisement

Caranica wrote: »
    But you have to see how that compares with lengthy waits for bags on the other end. Edinburgh has been 45 minutes plus for me twice this year so last time I booked priority and carried my case on.

That’s fair enough, and each to their own, that’s the beauty of having such choices. I’d regularly have used LGW-NOC route, and I never waited more than 10 mins for bags, in NOC they’d often be on the carrousel before I got to it, was totally convenient for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭chancer007

anyone buy a cabin bag that fits ryanair 40X25X20 policy?
    any recommendations?
    thanks

chancer007 wrote: »
    anyone buy a cabin bag that fits ryanair 40X25X20 policy?
    any recommendations?
    thanks

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6531580/c_1/1|category_root|Office,+PCs+and+phones|14418968/Trail/searchtext%3EBag.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

My own recent observations are that if you have purchased the right to bring a cabin bag onboard, as long as it fits in the overhead, you won't have an issue, on entering the aircraft cabin crew DO watch the amount of bags you have with you & will check your boarding pass to see if you are entitled to bring a cabin bag in the first place but have not seen anyone's normal wheeled cabin bag been checked for size, all different sizes & shapes are being brought onboard

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I have used a small 25 litre rucksack. Provided it is not fully stuffed it should be flexible to fit the required space. But I have found that there is a support leg under the seat in front if an aisle seat which restricts the size of the underseat space. In the end there seems no supervision of what goes in the top storage compartments so some put up coats, duty free bags and place other bags badly as well as 'underseat' bags.

Garlinge wrote: »
    I have used a small 25 litre rucksack. Provided it is not fully stuffed it should be flexible to fit the required space. But I have found that there is a support leg under the seat in front if an aisle seat which restricts the size of the underseat space. In the end there seems no supervision of what goes in the top storage compartments so some put up coats, duty free bags and place other bags badly as well as 'underseat' bags.

On a fully booked flight, I have seen stewards remove bags, coats etc from overhead lockers and passengers ordered to stow them under seats. If one follows the rules, there won’t be any problems. The 2 bags rule was abused, hence the new stricter rules. Ignore them at your peril.

On a fully booked flight, I have seen stewards remove bags, coats etc from overhead lockers and passengers ordered to stow them under seats. If one follows the rules, there won’t be any problems. The 2 bags rule was abused, hence the new stricter rules. Ignore them at your peril.

THIS!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

I'm adding cabin bags to my trip with Ryanair but the option is no longer available for the return trip, does this mean I have to add 20kg bag which are now three times the price of the flight and I've only got a carry on bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Priority allows you to bring a 10kg bag on board https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/baggage/priority-and-2-cabin-bags

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »

Priority is not available though

I'm adding cabin bags to my trip with Ryanair but the option is no longer available for the return trip, does this mean I have to add 20kg bag which are now three times the price of the flight and I've only got a carry on bag?

No that can’t be right. If the priority option is sold out you’ll have the check in option for the 10kg case which is roughly the same price as priority bag in cabin option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Priority is not available though

Add the 10kg checked in bag. Priority is sold out.

Add the 10kg checked in bag. Priority is sold out.

Can you do this checking in online?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Can you do this checking in online?

Yes, should be able to add, option should be just below seat selection

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭joebre

Looking to fly to LAX as couple.
    One 23kg bag as well as 2 x 10kg bags will be loads.
    Can I do this on the Aer Lingus site where just one of us will check-in a 23kg bag.
    There is a top up in the fare for the big bag and there is no need for the two of us to do it !

joebre wrote: »
    Looking to fly to LAX as couple.
    One 23kg bag as well as 2 x 10kg bags will be loads.
    Can I do this on the Aer Lingus site where just one of us will check-in a 23kg bag.
    There is a top up in the fare for the big bag and there is no need for the two of us to do it !
    I think depending on your fare type the 23kg may be included, if you book the light fare you should be able to just add on the check in luggage to one named passenger the same as when you book a short haul flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭joebre

Locker10a wrote: »
    I think depending on your fare type the 23kg may be included, if you book the light fare you should be able to just add on the check in luggage to one named passenger the same as when you book a short haul flight?

I didn't know whether to do as you suggest or make two separate bookings, ideally as the same time.
    Don't know how it would work out with seat selection.

joebre wrote: »
    I didn't know whether to do as you suggest or make two separate bookings, ideally as the same time.
    Don't know how it would work out with seat selection.
    Maybe ring them and ask about this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-13/u-s-regulator-bans-recalled-apple-laptops-from-flights

Please note that the 15-inch Apple MacBook Pro laptop, sold between mid-2015 to February-2017 is prohibited on board any of our mandate carriers,” a TCE operations coordinator wrote to employe

Advertisement