Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Sorry to hijack, I’ve booked priority and a check in bag. Can I put the bag I’m allowed carry on checked in too? Tia

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No, you put in the one you've checked in and bring the other one on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We recently flew Domestic US with AA and the Staff did not weigh or measure Hand Luggage at all.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Ah ok, was hoping I could just check it in too. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

You'll be absolutely fine, nothing to worry about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

pc7 wrote: »
    Ah ok, was hoping I could just check it in too. Thanks.

You can for an extra €10 per flight if you add it to your booking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

Hi, for my last few ryan air trips I have done this.

Turned up with 10 kg bag and backpack - not prepaid anything.

-Gave my 10kg bag in at check-in. They always ask if I want to put it in the hold...So just go onboard with my backpack.

Is this still the story with baggage allowance?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Lekrub wrote: »
    Hi, for my last few ryan air trips I have done this.

Turned up with 10 kg bag and backpack - not prepaid anything.

-Gave my 10kg bag in at check-in. They always ask if I want to put it in the hold...So just go onboard with my backpack.

Is this still the story with baggage allowance?

No it’s changed. Since last November I think. I’m not sure of the exact prices but you’ve to pay for priority if you want to bring the 10kg case on board. If you want to check it in You also have to pay. The last flight I booked was approx. €8 for priority and €10 to check it in if booked online. If you arrive to the airport with a 10kg bag you haven’t paid for online I think it’s about €25 to check it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

i was more amazed that you have to print your check in label yourself now using ticket :eek: and load it away onto conveyor.

thou seems more lax as they dont do rogue checks of bags like in the past, had backpack filled to brim and not a single issue 5-7kgs, as long as it fits under seat floor its grand, as seems many opt in to buy onboard 10kgs nowadays as plane was filled to brim every compartment.

and to be fair do the same myself when flying seems easier to bring onboard 10kgs and is enough for good week then drag 20 kgs around, and stay wait for it to be unloaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

Quick question and it's the thread title so any help appreciated.

My problem is that I booked a flight from Kerry to Alicante a good bit back and booked no luggage at all because after a few days in Alicante I'll be travelling onwards. I have 10 kg cabin luggage booked on the onwards flight and then travelling back to Ireland via Air Lingus and as I have a small 10kg bag in an appartment in Alicante I didn't need to check one from the Kerry lag. However I've just noticed that I no longer have the option of purchasing this online in case I change my mind and would have to pay at least €20 through their call centre, which for the few bits I have, is not worth it.

So back to my question. How large a handbag, which is free allowance [am female] will I manage? I t says 40x20 but are they very strict on this? Women's handbags come in all shapes and sizes so wondering what I'll get away with??

Once again, any advice appreciated. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Basically a school bag or weekend bag, they aren't that strict one it goes under the seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

If you follow guildlines on size you should be OK.

I don't know anything about Kerry airport but usually abroad (outside UK) Ryanair have local airport staff at departure gate meaning they aren't as strict as say Dublin where ryanair staff go through queue checking bag sizes.

If in doubt wait till everyone is nearly on board to check in, airlines rarely look at the last passengers to board bags as they are more interested in just finishing up check in

Thanks guys. Kerry's just a small airport and tbh I've never heard of anybody having any hassle there. So am hoping I'll get away with a decent sized handbag. But you never know either!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

rossie1977 wrote: »
    If in doubt wait till everyone is nearly on board to check in, airlines rarely look at the last passengers to board bags as they are more interested in just finishing up check in

'Airlines rarely look at the last passengers to board bags' :confused:

My experience is the complete opposite. I've often been boarding and overheard the gate people say quietly to each other that they will only allow 'n' more wheelie bags or bulky items onboard. Following which they confiscate bags and tag them for the hold. Apart from counting their bags, it's the people who board early that get little attention.

If the OP's bag will fit under the seat in front then there won't be a problem, otherwise I'd get into the queue early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭dennyk

coylemj wrote: »
    My experience is the complete opposite. I've often been boarding and overheard the gate people say quietly to each other that they will only allow 'n' more wheelie bags or bulky items onboard. Following which they confiscate bags and tag them for the hold. Apart from counting their bags, it's the people who board early that get little attention.

That really isn't an issue on Ryanair anymore; you can only bring an overhead bin bag with Priority Boarding, and they only sell 90 Priority tickets per flight, so there's always enough space in the bins (barring someone screwing up and letting something slip through). If you don't have Priority and you have a bag with you that won't fit under the seat, you'll be gate-checking it for a large fee regardless of where you line up in the queue.

dennyk wrote: »
    That really isn't an issue on Ryanair anymore; you can only bring an overhead bin bag with Priority Boarding, and they only sell 90 Priority tickets per flight, so there's always enough space in the bins (barring someone screwing up and letting something slip through). If you don't have Priority and you have a bag with you that won't fit under the seat, you'll be gate-checking it for a large fee regardless of where you line up in the queue.

But is that large fee not just €20 or €25? Which, if so, is basically the same for me as purchasing 10 kg cabin luggage at this point.

Which is why I posted with this query. You see when I first booked I had the option of purchasing the cabin luggage for €12 and also the option of priority. I think some weeks back I got mails still offering me priority. But when I checked a few days ago the option of priority, plus the option of purchasing the cabin luggage was gone. So obviously these offers are limited. So my reading is that my options now are pay the 20 or 25 euro [it's not clear which] if I want the cabin luggage or pay this price at the gate if my handbag is too big.

Please correct me, anyone, if I'm reading it wrong as I really don't want to risk a much larger fee for a few personal items. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭dennyk

acequion wrote: »
    But is that large fee not just €20 or €25?

If you select a 10kg checked bag at booking, it's like €10-€12, but if you didn't, then it'll be €20 to check your 10kg bag at the bag drop desk, or if you bring it to the gate, it's €25 plus being the subject of a lot of annoyed sighs and grumbling from the attendants and the passengers behind you when you hold up the queue while dealing with the giant bag you were trying to sneak on board.
    I think some weeks back I got mails still offering me priority. But when I checked a few days ago the option of priority, plus the option of purchasing the cabin luggage was gone.

Priority is probably sold out for your flight; they go fast now because of the new cabin bag rules. I believe the €10 checked 10kg bag is only available at booking, as well, not afterwards.

The whole policy is really very simple, though; without Priority Boarding, you can have one bag with you in the cabin for free that's 40cm by 25cm by 20cm. If you have a bag that's a fair bit bigger than that (and can't be squashed down to fit in the sizer), then you'll have to check it, so you might as well check it at the desk rather than wait till the gate and save yourself €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Reading through this thread and getting confused a tad by the different scenarios, as we're flying to the canaries next week with Ryanair, we normally only travel with them for short hops (UK), want to make sure I get this right...

4 passengers, 2 of which are children, have 3 20kg bags checked in & all are non priority, we had planned on bringing 2 backpacks with us as our cabin baggage, both fit comfortably under the seat in front (both been used for uk flights) so I assume thats okay and wont give us any trouble when boarding?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    Reading through this thread and getting confused a tad by the different scenarios, as we're flying to the canaries next week with Ryanair, we normally only travel with them for short hops (UK), want to make sure I get this right...

4 passengers, 2 of which are children, have 3 20kg bags checked in & all are non priority, we had planned on bringing 2 backpacks with us as our cabin baggage, both fit comfortably under the seat in front (both been used for uk flights) so I assume thats okay and wont give us any trouble when boarding?

You’ll be ok. Where you might have a problem is in getting seated together. You may have to pay extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

You’ll be ok. Where you might have a problem is in getting seated together. You may have to pay extra.

We already have herself & the 2 kids together, I paid to get the closest seat I could afterwards, outwards is 4 or 5 rows back (not ideal but could have been worse), inward is the row behind which is fine, at €19 a pop I was less than impressed though...
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Youll be grand. I always have a huge chunky handbag that doesnt even close with stuff hanging out of it getting on! And nothings ever said.

Funny that its only ever ryanair who might say something, aer lingus or vueling couldn't give a crap if your 10kg for example is even over by 3kg, they are probably saying, well fair play to her for squeezing all that in

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

And coats with large pockets. Ok, wrong season, but I got away with murder with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Going to Spain next week. Anyone bring hurleys with them on a Ryanair flight before and, if so, how does it work please? Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

You check them in. They don't count against any other checked baggage that you have as they are a separate item.

The following items must be checked in: any blunt instrument capable of causing injury, including tennis rackets, baseball and softball bats, clubs or batons - rigid or flexible - e.g. billy clubs, blackjacks (truncheon of leather covered lead with flexible shaft), night sticks & batons, cricket bats, golf clubs, hockey and hurley sticks, lacrosse sticks, kayak and canoe paddles, skateboards, billiard, snooker and pool cues, fishing rods, martial arts equipment, e.g. knuckle dusters, clubs, coshes, rice flails, num-chucks, kubatons, kubasaunts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

From their site:

The following items must be checked in: any blunt instrument capable of causing injury, including tennis rackets, baseball and softball bats, clubs or batons - rigid or flexible - e.g. billy clubs, blackjacks (truncheon of leather covered lead with flexible shaft), night sticks & batons, cricket bats, golf clubs, hockey and hurley sticks, lacrosse sticks, kayak and canoe paddles, skateboards, billiard, snooker and pool cues, fishing rods, martial arts equipment, e.g. knuckle dusters, clubs, coshes, rice flails, num-chucks, kubatons, kubasaunts.

So, it has to be checked in.

I've had a look at both the Dublin & Shannon airport websites, can't see anything that says you can't, the Dublin airport website suggests you can, I'm not asking about consuming it on the flight, just getting through airport security, they are 50ml bottles, the same ones they sell on the flight, anybody working in airport security or travelers done this?
    Thanks
    https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the-airport/security/prepare

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

As long as they are under 100ml and fit in your liquid bag your fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

I bought the special clear plastic bottles for bringing on flights and filled them with whiskey. No problems as it's within the rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

I've had a look at both the Dublin & Shannon airport websites, can't see anything that says you can't, the Dublin airport website suggests you can, I'm not asking about consuming it on the flight, just getting through airport security, they are 50ml bottles, the same ones they sell on the flight, anybody working in airport security or travelers done this?
    Thanks
    https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the-airport/security/prepare

You're definitely sculling that on the flight admit it. Don't worry, the DAA aren't here...

• Advertisement

Can confirm, it wasn’t an issue, no problems

Advertisement