Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any 530e owners out there?

• 08-08-2019 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to change cars in the next few months. Have driven Alfas for the past 10 years (166, 159s) and was set on getting a Giulia, but I've recently come across the 530e & it seems like a great proposition.

I'm very interested to hear from existing owners about their real-life experience with it.

I hadn't really considered a hybrid, but I'm an ideal candidate. My daily commute is less than 20km round trip. Usually a bit more running around at week-ends & the occasional run down the country.

What are peoples' experiences of the 530e? There's great value in the UK for 2017/18 models & VRT is less than €3.5k. I'm very tempted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

I have one at the moment, pending arrival of a Tesla Model 3. 2018 530e MSport with the plus pack & have to say I'm delighted with it so far after 6 months. It will be for sale if I ever get a delivery date for the Tesla :pac:

I imported from the UK & got great value, even better now with Sterling being so low. It sounds like your commute is ideal for this car - real world range for me has been about 35kms. Very comfortable, quick with 272bhp.

It takes about 3 hours to charge on a 3 pin plug or 2 hours at a charger. The short range/requirement to plug in is probably the only real world nuisance (I haven't put in a home charger). Boot is smaller than a regular 5 series due to batteries, as is the petrol tank. My commute is about 30kms a day, and I've done over 2,500kms since I put any petrol in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

6th0vnT.jpg
    WI9Tv8d.jpg

Echo bf's comments.

Consumed 73 litres of petrol over the last 2,500 kms so averaging 3l/100km (trip computer above includes an estimate for the electricity consumed too - must look into BMW's kWh to litre ratio unless anyone knows it?

Have hypermiled it (for craic :eek:) on battery only (9.2kWh) to a range of just over 50km but 35 to 40 would be usual. Can be far less obviously depending on driving style/weather etc.
    Very nice drive & practically seamless switching between battery alone, battery boost, engine only, charging etc.

Long motorway trips up around 6.5l/100km at sane speeds.

With a commute of up to 40km per day or 80km if a socket/charge point is available at work, I'd say it's worthy of consideration. In that scenario, one could run 10,000km to 20,000km per year on electric power alone.

Lovely car, even if I do say so myself :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

I presume they're the same as the 330e, but just bigger?

How reliable are they? Seem to remember reading/hearing that the 330e isn't great.

Also seem to remember something similar about the Golf/Passat GTE (because of the 1.4 engine), but again could be dreaming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Does the engine always kick in over a certain speed no matter what battery range is? My commute is about 25km each way but most of it is along a dual carriageway at 100km/h

Soarer wrote: »
    I presume they're the same as the 330e, but just bigger?

Completely different animal to the old 330e (new model just out for 192 reg). Bigger battery (9.2kWh), digital display, new chassis (G30), lots of 7 series switchgear - night & day. I spent some time with a 330e & it's miles behind the 530e. Not been in the new 330e so I assume that is closer to the 530e in terms of modernisation/interior etc.

• Advertisement

Kramer wrote: »
    Completely different animal to the old 330e (new model just out for 192 reg). Bigger battery (9.2kWh), digital display, new chassis (G30), lots of 7 series switchgear - night & day. I spent some time with a 330e & it's miles behind the 530e. Not been in the new 330e so I assume that is closer to the 530e in terms of modernisation/interior etc.

Ah ok.

The 5 is a lovely looking car.

Does the engine always kick in over a certain speed no matter what battery range is?

You can decide what the car does or let it decide, but it will stay on battery all the way up to 140km/h in "max battery" mode, only kicking in the engine if you "kickdown" the accelerator pedal for the max 252bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Imported one from the UK last week. Had a 2012 520D before this. Very impressed so far but not got my head around the various hybrid options so far. Exceptionally good value sourcing them from the UK at the moment - bought a Jan 19 car, 9k on the clock, M-Sport Plus and Comfort Pack trim for 33k sterling.

How reliable are they? Seem to remember reading/hearing that the 330e isn't great.

I'd say an extended BMW warranty would be a necessity when the factory 3 year warranty is up - lots of complexity = lots of €uros should something go wrong.
    That said, it seems very well built, even by BMW standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Imported one from the UK last week. Had a 2012 520D before this. Very impressed so far but not got my head around the various hybrid options so far. Exceptionally good value sourcing them from the UK at the moment - bought a Jan 19 car, 9k on the clock, M-Sport Plus and Comfort Pack trim for 33k sterling.

With sterling as low as it is, that's a touch over €36k if you got a cheap flight and ferry. It's a lot of car for the money. New M-Sport one here starts at €57k before options

How much VRT did you have to pay? Did you know how much it was up front?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

unkel wrote: »
    With sterling as low as it is, that's a touch over €36k if you got a cheap flight and ferry. It's a lot of car for the money. New M-Sport one here starts at €57k before options

I'd hold out for one of these :)

35kWh M140e

400bhp total, 100km range

https://www.motor1.com/news/364129/bmw-m140e-electrified-hot-hatch/

Appointments is for next Friday but have budgeted for 4.5k. Reckon it might go slightly over that but will challenge the OMSP if I can.

But yes, 36,100 euro and reckon I will come in just under 41.5k all in.

A mate is doing the same this week purely based on the numbers I got.

Ps. Still possibly going to be surprised in the VRT office but I have done all I can on that front I think. Checked a few dealers for quotes on what they would charge me to import a series of similarly spec'd cars. They consistently came in higher than the 41.5k but not enough to cause concern - the difference being a reasonable margin for them.

Because bmw is a premium brand, they’ll try pick out all the optional extras, find out from bmw Ireland how much they would’ve been to spec when knew, and charge you for them too.

But yes, 36,100 euro and reckon I will come in just under 41.5k all in.

It's actually in the VRT calculator. Filling in your details it comes to €4,345 VRT for the M-sport unless they charge you more for optional extras

So just over €40k really, I bet you would be pleasantly surprised if that was it :D

A nearly new 520d SE from a BMW dealer in Ireland would be thousands more than that. Why do people still buy those yokes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭stesaurus

You won't get a figure on the day. They'll look into it and get back to you after checking every extra I'd imagine. Be ready to challenge it I guess.

Because bmw is a premium brand, they’ll try pick out all the optional extras

The good thing about the 530e was the high level of standard equipment. As Unkel says, it's already on the VRT calculator with a somewhat high OMSP & the VRT figure it generates includes the €2250 PHEV discount.

Metallic is free in Ireland. Comfort pack is €2.9k. Let's say that is worth €2k second hand. 14% VRT * €2k = €280

I really can't see the VRT being more than €4,345 + €280 provided there are no other extras

So €36,100 + €4,345 + €280 or less than €41k landed

Kramer wrote: »
    The good thing about the 530e was the high level of standard equipment. As Unkel says, it's already on the VRT calculator with a somewhat high OMSP & the VRT figure it generates includes the €2250 PHEV discount.

I thought the same when I brought in our T-Spirit Prius.
    In the system, and a higher rate of vrt than the other models seeing as it was the top spec.
    But they still charged extra for things that weren’t available on the Irish version.

I thought the same when I brought in our T-Spirit Prius.
    In the system, and a higher rate of vrt than the other models seeing as it was the top spec.
    But they still charged extra for things that weren’t available on the Irish version.

How much did they charge you?

As far as I know, BMW UK & Ireland speck are identical these days so that shouldn't be an issue for the 530e.
    Extras such as the comfort pack &/or technology pack etc. will attract VRT though, as Unkel calculated above.

Well wear though :).

• Advertisement

How much did they charge you?

Can't remember if I'm honest. 'Twas a good few years ago now.

As a percentage of total VRT, it was a good bit over.
    Kinda like the VRT should've been €650, but they charged me €150 for the extras. Something like that.

Can't remember if I'm honest. 'Twas a good few years ago now.

As a percentage of total VRT, it was a good bit over.
    Kinda like the VRT should've been €650, but they charged me €150 for the extras. Something like that.

Being entirely transparent, that ratio won't upset me too much. Hoping for 4.5k but have budgeted up to 5.5k.

You might be luckier than that! Will you report back here when you know?

You might be luckier than that! Will you report back here when you know?

Will indeed. Appointment is late this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

Be prepared to appeal. Given make & model it will be sent off to Revenue for valuation, so you’ll have to wait 10 days at least.

They managed to value my 9 month old car at more the same as a new one :eek:

I successfully appealed & got just over 50% of the VRT paid back

Dropped into the VRT office yesterday. They want to bring me back for a manual inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Dropped into the VRT office yesterday. They want to bring me back for a manual inspection.

ouch... rubber gloves coming out! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

cough please...

Id say its a lovely motor. where did you get it from?

I wouldn't worry about that to be honest. When I cleared a 530e earlier this year, they said the same - it would have to go off to revenue. This was approaching 5pm so close of business.
    Had a call first thing the next morning saying it was all done & to call in to complete the paperwork, get the new reg etc.
    Took no more than 5 minutes.

Well wear btw - sure you're delighted with it :).

• Advertisement

Got things all wrapped up today. Charged me 5,375 euro.

So car cost me a hair over 42k as things stand now.

Advertisement