Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guardian of the Déise project - yes or no?

Options
  • 06-08-2019 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

This looks appalling to my eyes albeit these renders probably don't do it any favours as it looks like a flipping Terminator (and even the grim reaper in that other pic below)

The best thing about it would be the apparent location over looking the
    north quays from possibly just inside the Kilkenny border ("planning permission denied" :D) .

S1-MAIN-PIC-1024x747.jpg

2W31s.jpg

http://www.munster-express.ie/front-page-news/investment-secured-for-%E2%80%98guardian-of-the-deise%E2%80%99/
    Private investment has been secured for the proposed ‘Guardian of the Déise’ project.

The substantial investment means plans by local wood carver John Hayes can now proceed to the next stage.A delighted John says he is “chuffed” to have secured backing from the private sector for the ambitious project.

As revealed in The Munster Express last year, John aims to create a 200ft high Guardian which will be situated at a height overlooking Waterford City.Possessing an interactive element, visitors will be able to enter the sculpture and climb through the Guardian’s body where they will be rewarded with a spectacular view across Waterford City and the surrounding region

Obviously that it would be privately funded is good thing as you'd be waiting
    forever for a government dept to sanction monies from the Galway Arts Slush Fund account.

Guardian of the Déise yes or no? 97 votes

YES - It's adventurous and bold
    67% 65 votes
    NO - Ugly scrap iron monstrosity
    32% 32 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

very good idea imo and will really be something to talk about and show off

Like the mothership in the Apple Market it will take time to get used to

Prob in the very early stages and may take sometime to get the full go ahead

From looking at the 2nd pic where is it going ??? would it be blocking the view of the ard dri (if that was to ever open up again) or is it going up there to replace that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

A game changer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Not from Waterford, but that looks awful to me. Not sure I'd make a trip to see something like that, but each to their own.

Why would you not want to visit Ireland's minimum-wage capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭invara

I love it... iconic. Reminds me of Antony Gormley stuff. Angel of the North or Exposure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

It's a really cool idea. Build it now please.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

What is it meant to be ? Likes like a robot grim reaper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

What is it meant to be ? Likes like a robot grim reaper

Yeah the second picture doesnt look anyway appealing.

I like the idea i just dont think it needs to be so big.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

I like the idea but think those images look awful especially the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I will take two please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

I love it. As a structural engineer myselfInormally like to see exposed structure...but that big truss sword needs to be clad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Think it is a great idea. It will be like the Viking triangle, other places will be copying it over the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

The only way of accessing that area is via the Ard Ri . Could be tricky as things stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭realmoonunit

Its a hard yes from me. I love it, It takes a lot of courage to even propose something like this. Compare it to the prick in the brick on O Connell street and you will quickly realize, as monuments go, this is outstanding. Figuratively and literally!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

Definite yes. Think it would have an international draw. Would be interesting to know how this would be received at a planning level?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Definite yes. Think it would have an international draw. Would be interesting to know how this would be received at a planning level?

If Johnny Ronan can't get planning permission to build 13 stories in Dublin's Docklands, then a structure of this height is highly unlikely to be allowed you'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I love it. As a structural engineer myselfInormally like to see exposed structure...but that big truss sword needs to be clad!!

In the other pic it all seems to be clad including the sword?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Have they moved the county line on the Ard Ri site? - Bing maps shows it skirting north of the hotel structure, google shows it going through same.

Clearly that site will be developed with something or other at some point (is the legal battle for ownership/compo still ongoing?) and if there is 200 foot of structure and the support base right on front of the plateau then it's hard to see what else would go there - it would be completely dominated by the statue and it's shadow.

2W4ut.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I see no good reason the Guardian should be in front of the present Árd Rí structure ..... it would be a disaster for the site and any future development there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I see no good reason the Guardian should be in front of the present Árd Rí structure ..... it would be a disaster for the site and any future development there.

Could they not knock that structure and build the guradian up in that area ???

That would be really cool but imagine not possible really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Muttley79

hardybuck wrote: »
    If Johnny Ronan can't get planning permission to build 13 stories in Dublin's Docklands, then a structure of this height is highly unlikely to be allowed you'd imagine.

Agreed,22 million this is going to cost,it will be a long long time before this is paid back,the dublin spire cost 4 million and is twice the height of this proposal.at the moment it’s a private investor that has put x amount of money towards it,it’s going into a competition and if it wins it will then have sufficient funds to go do this,however I think this could prove to be a big headache for the council as they don’t like problems,firstly the public liability insurance to open this to the public is going to cost massive every year,we in this country can barely get insurance cover on bouncy castles,secondly the size of it will probably get knocked by the planning authority.something maybe 30/40 feet tall would be just as sufficient

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Build all the giant monuments.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Could they not knock that structure and build the guradian up in that area ???

That would be really cool but imagine not possible really

My guess is that it's the brainchild of the owner of the Ard Ri .

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Build all the giant monuments.

This is the correct answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

These type of statement structures have worked really well in other cities - Guggenheim in Bilbao and giant Buddha in Hong Kong are two examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Have the Guardian holding a big sign that says "Heart attack victims this way" and point towards the Cork Road...

Because we 100% will not have 24/7 cardiac by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Have the Guardian holding a big sign that says "Heart attack victims this way" and point towards the Cork Road...

Because we 100% will not have 24/7 cardiac by then.

So we're not allowed do anything to improve the City until we get 24/7 cardiac care?

You think building a stupid statue for €22 million when the country owes €206 billion will improve Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

vriesmays wrote: »
    You think building a stupid statue for €22 million when the country owes €206 billion will improve Waterford.

Yes stop everything ,all spending until the 206 billion is paid off. You don't give a ****e about what is owed. It's because it's in Waterford that your against it Could be any project. What happened you in Waterford anyway. did you slip in red square or did someone tell you to hang your balls off the clock tower? Let it out man everyone is here to help you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

vriesmays wrote: »

Yes.

Next question?

Advertisement