Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise please re selling

Options
  • 06-08-2019 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I don't shoot or hold a licence

If anyone can offer me advise on the below I'd be grateful

A friend of mine is 80 years old and owns a legally held shot gun which he hasn't used for years and won't use again He wants to sell it.
    Firearm is, as far as I know, cleaned regularly and is fully serviceable.

If anyone can give me advise on the way to proceed legally I would be grateful.

Obviously I will need to get make model and specs before advertising but what forms do we need, are those forms downloadable

Is there a shop we could take the firearm to and get them to sell it for him on commission?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Most firearms dealers will sell a shotgun on commission if that shotgun is saleable. However, unfortunately, very many are virtually worthless even if they are in good condition.

If it's of little value a dealer may be prepared, for a fee, to in the gun and have it scrapped.

Let us know your approximate location and somebody here will probably recommend a dealer you can contact.

If you can, have a look at the firearms licence and note the make, type and calibre is the shotgun and post the information here and you will get info on it's probable worth.

edit: I see from a previous post you are in the Bray area so you could contact Pat Cooke in Hilltop in Newtownmountkennedy at( 01) 281 8025

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Rosahane
    Brilliant, thank you very much. We both know exactly where you are talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I suppose you could post the essential details here as well. Quite a few members would be able to give some sort of an informed opinion on wether it could be worth something or not.

Generally speaking a gun from a reputable maker in good or better condition will always be worth something.

Old low end shotguns unfortunately aren't worth a whole lot.

In addition to looking at the licence you should be looking at the information on the gun itself as well. Makers name and caliber is very easy to find on the gun and it wouldn't be the first time that the info on the licence is a bit of a cock up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

I seen first hand in a dealers i used to know, the guns he chopped up. Many were serviceable and in good condition, but simply worthless. Old single barrels, side by sides, .22 bolt actions, shot-out centrefire rifles, centrefires in calibres that no one wanted. Thats the consumer society we live in today.

Thanks very much for the replies

We are following Rosahanes advise simply because that dealer is local to us.

If it's worthless, that's not a problem. It needs to be gone from his home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Put up the details here, if it’s desirable someone may buy it, if it’s worthless someone might take it for free.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Firstly well done to everyone for helping out the OP. Some good advice.

Secondly, and i hate to be buzz-killington, but this is not the for sale section. No buying, selling or trading allowed on the main forum.

If the OP would like to get an estimate of price thn by all means contact any of the lads that replied or one of the Mods and we'll help you as best we can.

Lastly, if the OP wishes to sell the firearm(s) then feel free to contact myself or one of the other Mods and we'll walk you through the process of placing an advert and help with the details necessary.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Again, thanks very much everyone.
    We are planning on going through local dealer over next few days.
    My objective was to relieve my elderly friend of the concern of having an used firearm in his home and I wasn't trying to flog the gun here
    Grateful to everyone and Cass kind offer of pm advise.

Advertisement