Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Store Lambs

• 16-04-2017 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, I was thinking of buying around 30 store lambs. I have 12 acres well fenced for them. When would be the best time to buy and how much would i be paying. Also what weight and breed would be the best. thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Hi, I was thinking of buying around 30 store lambs. I have 12 acres well fenced for them. When would be the best time to buy and how much would i be paying. Also what weight and breed would be the best. thank you.

Store lambs would generally be in plentiful supply from July onwards. Price varies by year depending on factory price. Around 70-80 for 35 kg plus. If you but ewe lambs generally pay a few euro more for them but might get it on the far side aswell., best of luck but don't expect to make a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭memorystick

Hi, I know it's early days but I was wondering how light could you buy lambs? I'm hoping to buy around 50 in July and money will be tight. Should I buy numbers at smaller weight or a few less but at heavier weight? I'm way understocked and have fairly good pastures. I wouldn't mind giving them a pinch of meal every day just to keep them quiet. Sound

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭kk.man

Hi, I know it's early days but I was wondering how light could you buy lambs? I'm hoping to buy around 50 in July and money will be tight. Should I buy numbers at smaller weight or a few less but at heavier weight? I'm way understocked and have fairly good pastures. I wouldn't mind giving them a pinch of meal every day just to keep them quiet. Sound

The issue about buying them in July is that lamb prices are at their peak for the summer(or should be!)...thus they translate to high price to stores and availability is less...Sept is the best month as lamb supply is at its lowest (again typical year)....I see you need animals for grass...why don't you buy ewes with lambs now and flog both off later in the year?

kk.man wrote: »
    The issue about buying them in July is that lamb prices are at their peak for the summer(or should be!)...thus they translate to high price to stores and availability is less...Sept is the best month as lamb supply is at its lowest (again typical year)....I see you need animals for grass...why don't you buy ewes with lambs now and flog both off later in the year?

Are they very dear at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭kk.man

Are they very dear at the moment?
    It depends on a few factors...age of ewe...age of lambs......no of lambs per unit....condition of ewe...anything from 140 up to 240. Like everything you get what you pay for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭drive it

Any one got rid of any stores yet ? Was wondering what kind of money they are going. Got a phone call from a lad thar buys them every year but hes about a month early this year

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mountain Mayo

We're just bringing in lambs now from the hills for shearing the sheep. Store lambs for going if anyone wants them, all mayo blackface

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

What price are 28 to 33 kg stores making.....countries flooded with grass at the min

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Country lad

Sold stores today to a local farmer 35kg.for 75 euro

Not bad money, what breed were they? Wouldn't mind selling now but will have to wait another week or so before I can get holidays from work

• Advertisement

Heard that all lambs went well in Maam Cross last weekend with buyer from up the country buying most of them

The lambs were charlaois.x mixture of weather's and ewe lambs

they should do well on grass anyway and should finish well on after grass without meal. Only thing if there are fellas looking for stores with all the after grass there is going to be a glut of store lambs coming on the stream in the next 2 weeks or so, especially when the bank holiday hits and lads have time to get lambs together

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i tend to keep away from the west and north west for buying store as competition is very high with beef men in east and east midlands. kerry is a good option as its almost completly surrounded by expanding dairy country on good lands of north kerry, limerick , tipp, cork . thus you dont have the same level of competition for lambs and a slightly lower price. Maam cross and Dowra are handy runs from midlands and north east compared to south kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Hello all. I reseeded a 4ac field and wanted to get a few store lambs. How many would you start off with for a field of this size. Ideally i would let them graze it, move them to another field and put them back in again to graze 3 weeks later. Would keep doing this until fit to kill. I am not familiar with stocking rates for sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Depends on what strength of lambs you were to buy and if you hope to finish them solely off grass.
    Fact you have reseeded field should help do that but you would need to be buying terminal breed forward stores like Suffolk x or Texel x lambs for example for a short feed at say 35 kg when buying now....they are costing around 75 to 80 euro in Marts at mo.
    If buying smaller lambs at lower money you can naturally buy more of them and use nuts if necessary to finish them.
    Would imagine you could go with at least 30 of stronger type lambs on 4acres.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Depends on what strength of lambs you were to buy and if you hope to finish them solely off grass.
    Fact you have reseeded field should help do that but you would need to be buying terminal breed forward stores like Suffolk x or Texel x lambs for example for a short feed at say 35 kg when buying now....they are costing around 75 to 80 euro in Marts at mo.
    If buying smaller lambs at lower money you can naturally buy more of them and use nuts if necessary to finish them.
    Would imagine you could go with at least 30 of stronger type lambs on 4acres.

Thanks allot for reply. I appreciate it. I can get my hands on 20 Llyen ewe lambs but I don't know much about them. All I want is lambs that won't ramble. Are you familiar with Llyen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Thanks allot for reply. I appreciate it. I can get my hands on 20 Llyen ewe lambs but I don't know much about them. All I want is lambs that won't ramble. Are you familiar with Llyen

There are several types of Lleyns.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

Lleyn make a lovely ewe but some type of lleyn can be hard finished in my experience..depends what are they crossed with i suppose.. i heard there is different types of lleyns as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

eorna wrote: »
    Lleyn make a lovely ewe but some type of lleyn can be hard finished in my experience..depends what are they crossed with i suppose.. i heard there is different types of lleyns as well..

I had long narrow type ones that were hard to finish and abit flighty. Also had traditional ones, good sheep , but can get to small, unless your crossing with a bigger sheep. Found best type ( to suit my setup anyway) are the stocky medium sized ones. I suspect there’s some texel blood in there somewhere. Also found them the quietest to work with as well. Having said that it’s a personal thing and someone else might like a different type of Lleyn.
    Edit,
    Flighty Lleyns, can jump, so I only kept rams that were abit lazy and when cornered didn’t know how to jump. there’s nothing worse then a crop of young Lleyns that know how to clear a fence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Robson99

Anyone see any mountain ram lambs sold yet say 25 - 30 kg or is it a month too early

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Robson99 wrote: »
    Anyone see any mountain ram lambs sold yet say 25 - 30 kg or is it a month too early

Seen some moving alright, although not a huge amount. Heard of them making from 40 to 50 depending on the lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Robson99

Seen some moving alright, although not a huge amount. Heard of them making from 40 to 50 depending on the lambs.

Ma'am cross??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Those weight of horned lambs were from €45 to €60 in Drumshanbo Thursday. They were the first of the hill lambs and should be coming out I'm greater numbers weekly from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

How do you know if you are buying genuine store lambs or just some lads runts?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

It's always a bit of a mine field when buying stores as your never fully sure of there history but there are a few points to be considered. I'd always watch the address of the seller, for example if it's an address half way up a mountain then it's usually a good indication that there genuine store's. Also I'd try and gauge the age of the lambs and there general condition, a young lamb with soft tight wool is usually discernable from a dried out screw that's failed to thrive all summer. Trying to buy lambs from marts surrounded by good land can be hit and miss regards quality, as mentioned on other threads stores from the North/South West are generally a safer bet. Finally I find that smaller batches often contain the bad doer's and general dodges that are found on every farm, a big bunch of matched lambs are usually genuine imo.

Are they a good buy? Would have good land to finish them on.

I sell around 100 store lambs every year to a local farmers and keep the remaining fifty myself and put them on average grass and sheep and lamb nuts and hopefully have they all gone to factory by end of november

Are they a good buy? Would have good land to finish them on.

They can be. It depends on the lambs and also what you are expecting. They arent going to match a crossbred lamb, but there is definitely a return from a good quality gang of them. I think the best idea is if you could source a gang with a decent frame from an area that would be poor as regards land quality, then you could do well enough. It will take a bit longer, but they are also cheaper and that bit hardier also.
    Some guys come back buying them every year in the 100s so there is definitely a return there.

• Advertisement

Ma'am cross??

No just local private sales

Advertisement