Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Store Lambs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭kk.man

Sami23 wrote: »
    Would it not be costing a lot on straw to keep them bedded and clean ?

Not at all I have them in since 24th December and only have used a bale and a half of straw so far. Where I am straw is ten a penny too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Dickie10

yeah id be getting straw in the field next door less than 10 euro a bale

sent 27 Tuesday morning to ICM Navan got 5:40 . 22.5kg came into 121 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭memorystick

Will the high prices last?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Hopefully not...

Can you tell I on the buying side :P ;):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Probably come down a bit but i think they will stay strong.

It just shows how much the factories were using lamb from the uk to put the squeeze on everyone.

the big question is what happens in the no deal Brexit scenario or even if there is a deal of some sort, British lamb cant be sold on same level as Irish lamb into the EU, therefore Irish lamb will be more value for French, Belgian,Dutch and Scandi countries. These countires have had a huge influx of Muslims the last 10 years there only one way demand for lamb is going in these places. I see a good lot of British sheep farms have culled flocks fairly savagely the last 12 months , were probably seeing the effects of that this summer with lamb supplies in Britain, it will really kick in next summer and late winter and spring when Iirsh factories go looking for lambs in Carlisle mart to bring back and slaughter in ROI as irish lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭QA1

Well lads have 15 acres aftergrass reseeded ground how many store lambs would it graze roughly? going to buy lambs around 35 kgs and will probably meal them for the last month and do i need to get flock number or will my herd number do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭kk.man

QA1 wrote: »
    Well lads have 15 acres aftergrass reseeded ground how many store lambs would it graze roughly? going to buy lambs around 35 kgs and will probably meal them for the last month and do i need to get flock number or will my herd number do
    Herd no will do but you need to inform your local DVO first. They will grant it, issue you with a flock register and dispatch dockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭QA1

Sound kk man don’t no much about sheep
    got talk to my neighbour this evening he said I’d be as well off to buy 25 to 30 kgs lambs instead and sell again in mart October time would I still need to get quality assuared like the cattle and presume no movements **** with sheep like cattle thanks

• Advertisement

QA1 wrote: »
    Sound kk man don’t no much about sheep
    got talk to my neighbour this evening he said I’d be as well off to buy 25 to 30 kgs lambs instead and sell again in mart October time would I still need to get quality assuared like the cattle and presume no movements **** with sheep like cattle thanks

Sell them in February

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭drive it

Any price on live weight for store lambs?

How do they compare with last year?

I GOT 100 last week from Kenmare, 31.5KG/ €70

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Dickie10 wrote: »
    I GOT 100 last week from Kenmare, 31.5KG/ €70

How does that compare to last year? I don't think I've ever seen as many men to buy stores here in the North West atm. The long keep lamb and any sort of a half decent ewe lamb is up €10-15 a head on last year. Men selling hogget's are fairing better than previous years and are well able to give it again for nice ewe lambs of any colour. There's small horned and crossbred lamb's that are only little balls of wool making €50 and up. A lot of the men that used to buy the longer keep lamb have changed to a shorter-term store as they can't compete for the lighter lamb. The men that used to buy 200+ and up to 300-400 weekly are now only buying 100-150 because there's too much competition ringside to put together bigger bunches.

only €3 more than last year. very good quality lambs

only €3 more than last year. very good quality lambs

Well that answers a lot of questions. Going to wait until end of September to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mrfitz

Will you get more for ewe lambs when it comes to selling them later in the year?
    I was thinking of buying a few stores soon and try finish them on grass and a bit of meal near the end of the year, is this feasible?

that depends on your plans in the spring, if your not sstuck for ground you could buy lighter lambs and leave them there til next paddys day they will have grown over winter a bit of frame and once the get spring new grass from mid february on they will pile on weight and kill out. if you want them finished between november and februraary you will need to give them meal.
    if your going for the first option try to get lambs with a good frame and length. prices are decent around paddys day paying to 23kg. maybe €5-50 aaverage

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭k mac

that depends on your plans in the spring, if your not sstuck for ground you could buy lighter lambs and leave them there til next paddys day they will have grown over winter a bit of frame and once the get spring new grass from mid february on they will pile on weight and kill out. if you want them finished between november and februraary you will need to give them meal.
    if your going for the first option try to get lambs with a good frame and length. prices are decent around paddys day paying to 23kg. maybe €5-50 aaverage

If buying in early October and keeping as you said till paddys day what weight lambs should you be looking at and does it matter what breed you buy when you are not keeping them long term. Mainly Suffolk and texel around here in the west

• Advertisement

Easter is first week of April next year. How important is this? Usually sell middle of February.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mrfitz

What about Tullamore of Carnross for buying stores? I'm looking for a few lowland stores at the minute to put with a ram until I let him out with ewe lambs in October

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

k mac wrote: »
    If buying in early October and keeping as you said till paddys day what weight lambs should you be looking at and does it matter what breed you buy when you are not keeping them long term. Mainly Suffolk and texel around here in the west

I'm no expert but that kinda what i do. Buy Hilltex or Char/tex or suff/tex ewe lambs 38-42kg in Oct and run over the land for winter and aim to kill in March, feeding them for the last few weeks with an intensive lamb ration to get fat cover on them. I am in north mayo

in early october a decent lamb born in late april should be 34kg min. so average 36kg buy. suffolk and texel perfect even hornys will have a decent frame and weigh in well come paddys day, might not have enough fat cover but i would be surprised if they were not 70% 3s. its all abiut the age being in them and spring grasss is as good as any meal in late feb onwards. the biggest factor is if its a dry spring , dry cold march even if you think you havent much grass they will dig it out and pile on weight a wet march is much tougher but ironically will prob have early grass because temp will prob be above average.i would try to target dry fields to have for them by late feb with a green pick

mrfitz wrote: »
    What about Tullamore of Carnross for buying stores? I'm looking for a few lowland stores at the minute to put with a ram until I let him out with ewe lambs in October

might be ok once there going to as good a ground, farmers selling in carnarooss and tullamore will prob be bringing them off serious ground, bar areas of north westmeath/oldcastle. so they wont thrive on if coming off as good a ground as your own. be careful for batchs of pet lambs looking like stores. big sheep farmers could have up to 60-150 pets in a given year from high prolific flocks.

i get mine from Kerry because there is slightly less competition down there from neighbouring counties. now with milk quotas gone lads on good land in cork,kerry,limerick and tipp are intensive dairy and wouldnt let a sheep around the place . its Laois , Carlow are before the store lamb man territirry kicks in. I know the lorry man that hauls mine up, always drops in Laois, Kildare and sometimes westmeath before me. He never goes much further north than South Meath. A lot of farmers here go west, its a handier run to Maam Cross and Dowra for Louth, Meath and Westmeath farmers hence more competition. Even in good grass years some lads from longford and cavan/monaghon try store lambs. so price is higher in west of ireland marts.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭k mac

RobinBanks wrote: »
    I'm no expert but that kinda what i do. Buy Hilltex or Char/tex or suff/tex ewe lambs 38-42kg in Oct and run over the land for winter and aim to kill in March, feeding them for the last few weeks with an intensive lamb ration to get fat cover on them. I am in north mayo

What sort of money should I he paying. Would like to stay away from any horneys...the quieter breed the better. Not great handling facilities and might chance a few in fields with just a few rows of electric fence but with deep drains around them

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

What sort of money should I he paying. Would like to stay away from any horneys...the quieter breed the better. Not great handling facilities and might chance a few in fields with just a few rows of electric fence but with deep drains around them

Coming in at €75 for ewe lambs and averaging €122 at sale. Last year I put them into a spot with just barbed wire after they had reseeded ground grazed and they broke my heart. Gone all the time. 3 lines of poly wire along the bad ditch stopped them from breaking.

You could probably get them cheaper than that but I just went to mart picked ones I like and bought them!

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Coming in at €75 for ewe lambs and averaging €122 at sale. Last year I put them into a spot with just barbed wire after they had reseeded ground grazed and they broke my heart. Gone all the time. 3 lines of poly wire along the bad ditch stopped them from breaking.

You could probably get them cheaper than that but I just went to mart picked ones I like and bought them!

What weight were them lambs when you bought them? Store lambs made great money last year but I can't see much to be made from them going by the prices I've seen this year.

mrfitz wrote: »

Like someone else said, better off buying off bad land. I find lambs that come from dowra or elphin do well on good ground. Bought lambs in Roscommon in the past and didn't do near aswell as the elphin lamb as they were coming off good ground.

• Advertisement

store lambs is cheap

Not cheap in this part of the country anyways.

Advertisement