Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Store Lambs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Hello all. Looking for recommendation on minerals for store lambs. I happened to have a bottle of growvite in press when i bought lams last month and i was thinking of leaving out lick bucket for them.

Just wondering would it be a waste of money. Do they need minerals and if so what would be a good one to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Here’s an up dated pic of stores

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Hello all. Looking for recommendation on minerals for store lambs. I happened to have a bottle of growvite in press when i bought lams last month and i was thinking of leaving out lick bucket for them.

Just wondering would it be a waste of money. Do they need minerals and if so what would be a good one to use?

I'll be giving the store lambs here this bolus tomorrow. Our place is very low in colbalt, and I felt last year they were lacking, so going to go with these.

https://www.agridirect.ie/product/all-guard-sheep-and-lamb-bolus-4-in-1

bought another 41 stores from Kenmare yesterday unfortunatly had to go to Sallins at 3:30 am to meet the haulier as he wasnt really prepared to drive another farm with only 41 on board a big truck , anyway they seem good value €68.50 for 34kg average

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭memorystick

What’s the trade like for stores? Any recommendations on type and weight to will be sold before March 17.

• Advertisement

Bought lambs today. They seem like value but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭kk.man

They do look like value. I like baltinglass to buy at. I haven't been there for a few weeks. They would have been cheaper today than when I was there.
    What breeds were they? Rams?
    Have they fallen in price given where the fat trade is?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I wish you luck with your purchases, I'm assuming there ram lambs at those prices. It's hard to comment about value without seeing the stock but if there nice even lambs with no little sprats of lads mixed through them then there not overly dear imo. The year is moving on and my biggest fear from now on is buying older poorer lambs that haven't made the grade all summer rather than genuine store's. From what I've seen of late the €2 a kilo will buy bundles of ram lambs but most of these have a few handy or poorer lambs mixed through them that can put an extra few euro on there better comrades from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Only finish my own lambs here, but feel the ram lambs are easier finished then ewe lambs. At least they’ll get to the weights. Nothing worse keeping ewe lambs too long, only to kill out light

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

Only finish my own lambs here, but feel the ram lambs are easier finished then ewe lambs. At least they’ll get to the weights. Nothing worse keeping ewe lambs too long, only to kill out light

How sales going this year green?

• Advertisement

All ewe lambs. Nice white face (not Chevy type) from Louth. Last lot mix of Suffolk and Hampshire. I’ll get photo later.

Settled in

razor8 wrote: »
    How sales going this year green?

Going ok. No issues to report, luckily. Sending a load away every week or two and the grass is still growing. At around €4.60, prices disappointing.

Stupid question. Which thrive better? Ewe lambs or wethers? There was a batch of horny blackface ram lambs there yesterday. 30kgs for €50 I think. Looked like a few quod to be made out of them but I’d say they’d rogue.

Stupid question. Which thrive better? Ewe lambs or wethers? There was a batch of horny blackface ram lambs there yesterday. 30kgs for €50 I think. Looked like a few quod to be made out of them but I’d say they’d rogue.

IMO ewe lambs do better thus they command a higher premium when buying. Weather may have been recently squeezed and take longer to do. Ewes get fat cover easier.

Those horny ones are value but that be a gamble if they strayed and more hardship than they are worth.

lads fencing? dont know how anyone even thinks of having sheep without decent fenceing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Robson99

Dickie10 wrote: »
    lads fencing? dont know how anyone even thinks of having sheep without decent fenceing.

A small bit of meal each day compensates for a lot of fencing here

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Bought 11 cheviots 41 kg for 80 each and 15 33.5 kg for 60 euro. All ram lambs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Probably the wrong place...forgive the jackeen.:)

Thinking about a few lambs for my freezer next year.
    Is it worth buying and rearing them myself.
    The only experience I have of lamb is putting it in the oven.

I bought a Texan X butchered for €150.
    Would I save anything doing it myself or is it not worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Probably the wrong place...forgive the jackeen.:)

Thinking about a few lambs for my freezer next year.
    Is it worth buying and rearing them myself.
    The only experience I have of lamb is putting it in the oven.

I bought a Texan X butchered for €150.
    Would I save anything doing it myself or is it not worth it

€150 is Good value

You could go to the mart and buy a fat lamb and get it butchered
    It costs €30 to get a lamb killed & cut here

Generally lambs are Dearer from March to late May

• Advertisement

€150 is Good value

You could go to the mart and buy a fat lamb and get it butchered
    It costs €30 to get a lamb killed & cut here

Generally lambs are Dearer from March to late May

Even at that, add the time and diesal taken to go to the mart and butcher, all for €20 !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Even at that, add the time and diesal taken to go to the mart and butcher, all for €20 !!!

So not worth it?
    Must be something in it for the guy I get it off. He had 10 this year. Got it killed in October.
    He has to buy, rear it, and kill it while still making a few quid in the deal.

So not worth it?
    Must be something in it for the guy I get it off. He had 10 this year. Got it killed in October.
    He has to buy, rear it, and kill it while still making a few quid in the deal.

If you’ve the interest and have abit of land to fatten them, then you could do a lot worse. It’s a nice hobby. But there’s loads of basic things to get right with sheep. Like spending money on fencing, dosing etc. sheep also like to die at every given opportunity. Loose one or two and then it makes the rest very expensive. Up to yourself really. Don’t want to put anyone off, but there’s a lot of easier ways of saving €20.

How long do lads feed meal to lambs for? Hoping to sell mid-March. Was thinking of throwing a 25kg bag to 43 every day for 10 weeks. That’s around 2 ton. Or would 6 weeks be enough. They weighted between 25 and 30 kgs in early October. Would sell in mart as have a major fear of factories.

Would sell in mart as have a major fear of factories.

I’m the opposite, have fear of selling in marts and dealers taking the p*ss. Goes to show no right or wrong answer.

same I never go to the mart , I don't even buy in the mart in person

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

How long do lads feed meal to lambs for? Hoping to sell mid-March. Was thinking of throwing a 25kg bag to 43 every day for 10 weeks. That’s around 2 ton. Or would 6 weeks be enough. They weighted between 25 and 30 kgs in early October. Would sell in mart as have a major fear of factories.

If there are on good grass, and are dosed and have minerals, then you'd be hoping they'd put on .75 - 1kg a week.

That'd have them around 45 - 50kg by mid March.

I would say weigh them in Jan, and see how you're doing. I would have said 6 weeks should be enough - but it depends on how they do between now and then really...

Dickie10 wrote: »
    same I never go to the mart , I don't even buy in the mart in person

Same as :)
    I much prefer the factory, you know the price you'll get and then its all down to you as to how the lambs kill...

I’m the opposite, have fear of selling in marts and dealers taking the p*ss. Goes to show no right or wrong answer.

I factory the cattle no problem but I lack expertise at judging weights and fatness in lambs. I sold in the mart last year and my neighbour said I wouldn’t have got the same money in Kildare. He’s a good judge. I only sell one day per year. I don’t know.

I would not throw a 25kg bag in 43 at the start! That's all most 0.6kgs. Start at 0.1 and build to 0.3 and eventually go to twice a day no more than 0.3 in one feed.
    I see farmers getting done in the marts with fat lambs by the agents except for an exceptional lot where butchers compete for them. Start by weighing them and draft at 50 kgs then feel the spine area near the tail and that's where you can get the fat cover. Bear in mind of the rain will ad weight to a lamb from the field. Draft a few and you can pick it up quickly. You will learn but you won't go too wrong at 50kgs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Sami23

kk.man wrote: »
    . Start by weighing them and draft at 50 kgs then feel the spine area near the tail and that's where you can get the fat cover. Bear in mind of the rain will ad weight to a lamb from the field. Draft a few and you can pick it up quickly. You will learn but you won't go too wrong at 50kgs.

Would most on here agree that lambs would want to be weighing 50kg's this time of year to kill out at 22kg or above.
    I've a batch nearly ready to go but would be slightly under 50kg's avg

Advertisement