Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IONITY - charging / fees / tips

• 02-08-2019 8:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I’m making a new thread to keep it away from general IONITY charging location chat and to focus more on getting the car charged and how best to do it.

There have been a few people including myself who have only been able to charge the car by setting up a payment through PayPal. Has anybody managed to get a charging session working by any other means ? This way will charge you €8 per session regardless of how many KW you use.

There is a few external cards / apps that can get IONITY working in other countries has anybody used them in Ireland and if so what are they ? This way can allow you to charge per KW which would be cheaper for some users.

Has anybody came across any other IONITY issues ( besides iceing ) that might help out another boards member ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I know some people have suggested getting a Maingau RFID card. They're a German electricity provider that have roaming agreements with all sorts of charging providers, especially in Germany and the Netherlands, but including Ionity all over Europe, which is the bit that's really relevant to us.

As I understand it, the chip and account setup is free, and then you pay 40c/kWh on Ionity chargers (very handy when you only need a quick top-up and don't really want to be paying €8 for it.

The registration page is in German, so you'd need either to know German or run it through a translator. I guess I know enough to give it a go, so if I get time to register, I'll put some details up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

I'll be using the Ionity in Gorey on Sunday hopefully.

I have the ionity app set up and my bank card linked to it.
    Will it not work?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭TOLLOT

I got the Plugsurfing card . It’s 10 euro .
    They add on 50 cents on ionity each time but it works great .
    Tap and off you go .
    For me the ionity app did not like any of my credit cards , @ Cashel , and PayPal was the only way .
    I’d get a crash screen with code on my phone.
    Plugsurfing did give the 10 euro back in charging credit .
    I got it mainly so wifey was not worried about charging in Cashel and be moe inclined to take the Ioniq on Dublin Cork runs .
    Fringe benefit it works on ESB as well .

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

iggy wrote: »
    I'll be using the Ionity in Gorey on Sunday hopefully.

I have the ionity app set up and my bank card linked to it.
    Will it not work?

So far anybody I’ve heard try using their bank card it will not work. Like the previous poster said it gives an error code and €8 will be put into pending for each try in your bank account but it will not take the money.

Best practice so far seams to be using PayPal to pay for it through the IONITY app and it will work straight away. Plug the cable into the car first and then go to the payment process. You might need a torch with you if it’s late at night as the phone won’t pick up the Qr code. I think you can input a barcode in anyway to start the session but I haven’t ever tried this I’ve only used the Qr code.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

TOLLOT wrote: »
    I got the Plugsurfing card . It’s 10 euro .
    They add on 50 cents on ionity each time but it works great .
    Tap and off you go .
    For me the ionity app did not like any of my credit cards , @ Cashel , and PayPal was the only way .
    I’d get a crash screen with code on my phone.
    Plugsurfing did give the 10 euro back in charging credit .
    I got it mainly so wifey was not worried about charging in Cashel and be moe inclined to take the Ioniq on Dublin Cork runs .
    Fringe benefit it works on ESB as well .

Does it still deduct 50c per use with the Esb chargers ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭k123456

Maingau , sounds like the best option, as no need to pay full fee 8e, if a small charge is required

Will be interesting to see if Maingau works with Ionity Ireland changers

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I've applied for a Maingau card myself. Apparently they work very well with Ionity. And it costs nothing to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

unkel wrote: »
    I've applied for a Maingau card myself. Apparently they work very well with Ionity. And it costs nothing to get one.

I went through the setup process and all went well, until the screen came up looking to verify my email address. I never received the email. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭this.lad

I went through the setup process and all went well, until the screen came up looking to verify my email address. I never received the email. :(

Same here, tried it last week, then waited and waited. Still waiting. Might try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I registered a Maingau account fine, got an e-mail immediately and then another on verification.

But the map shows only German locations.

https://app.einfachstromladen.de/#/location

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Heading through cashel next weekend and I'll need a charge (12kw or so). I'll give mangau a try with ionity and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Lumen wrote: »
    I registered a Maingau account fine, got an e-mail immediately and then another on verification.

But the map shows only German locations.

https://app.einfachstromladen.de/#/location

I'm seeing them all over, but you can't be zoomed out too far. It's only showing Cashel in Ireland though. Gorey not added yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭alanowx

Spotted this 2 week old video from Bjorn with tips on "How to start charging on IONITY".

I have never seen an IONITY charger but doesn't say alot for the on screen instructions when one needs the assistance of a video to get it started.

Is it truly the case that one can stop the charge session by simply hitting the stop button, as the video suggests, - ie no need to present the RFID tag or tap on the app?

At approx 1"15 in the above video this guy displays a few tags for use and one is called Newmotion, another possible source of an RFID card or Tag. Cashel IONITY appears to be on their "myNewMotion" map. Link https://newmotion.com/en_GB/ev-charge-card

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Jeez, we need standardisation, how different is fueling from a pump across all the various suppliers

Yes, Whatever happened to the KISS principle.

No doubt the ESB will also try to re-invent the wheel when they come around to charging

At least companies like Maingau, as mentioned above, use Paypal. In my book the less people that have my Credit Card details the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

alanowx wrote: »
    No doubt the ESB will also try to re-invent the wheel when they come around to charging
    They will probably ask to input your Eircode or something lol

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

ESB would be looking for your MPRN. You have that in your head, of course.

Yes same here. Gmail puts it in trash and if you use Outlook you don't see this (have to use web interface to see gmail trash). Their technical support deleted my account, so I can create it again. Will try this evening, after I've added info@einfachstromladen.de to my safe senders list.

Water John wrote: »
    ESB would be looking for your MPRN. You have that in your head, of course.

Your MPRN - yes I was thinking the same (an easy cross check to see if you have a home charger). While there at it why not have a RFID reader that will scan your PSC details.- Isnt it being shared with everybody else anyway. :D

BTW had a look at NewMotion app, it has 4 Gorey chargers on it as well as Cashel. Each shown as 135kW and strangely the fee is 7.60e and not 8e. The setup seems straight forward and you have the choice of a free fob or rfid card.

alanowx wrote: »
    Yes, Whatever happened to the KISS principle.

At least companies like Maingau, as mentioned above, use Paypal. In my book the less people that have my Credit Card details the better.

Do they? I had to setup payment via bank transfer. There was no paypal option.

• Advertisement

Do they? I had to setup payment via bank transfer. There was no paypal option.

Apologies I misread one of the earlier posts - On reflection it seems it was the Ionity app that was being referred to that has the Paypal option. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Yes same here. Gmail puts it in trash and if you use Outlook you don't see this (have to use web interface to see gmail trash). Their technical support deleted my account, so I can create it again. Will try this evening, after I've added info@einfachstromladen.de to my safe senders list.

I applied again this morning using a Hotmail account and it went through with no problems. The e-mail never arrived in the Gmail account, even in the trash.

registered using google translate

next step, check if the card handshakes with IOnity chargers

Thank you for choosing our single-stream-charge product.

In order to complete your registration, we ask you to confirm your account yet - just follow the link!

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our service hotline. These are best reached
    Germany Mon. - Sun. around the clock at 0 800/9 898 444
    International Mon. - Sun. around the clock at 00 800/1000 1300

or just send a short mail to info@EinfachStromLaden.de.

Greetings from Obertshausen,
    Your MAINGAU team

I can sign on, but cannot see an obvious way to pay for a charge, or link a credit card

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ning

https://chargemap.com/ works as well with Ionity (and also with ESB chargers)

Heading through cashel next weekend and I'll need a charge (12kw or so). I'll give mangau a try with ionity and report back.

Had my first charge. 13kw costing just over 4 euro.

While maingau gave me a card, I couldn't use it. I tried to scan it on the charger but it failed both times. In the end I just started the charger from the app based on the charger id.

The cable is much heavier/thicker/less flexible than the ecars ones, so parking to the side on the charger (not inside the bay) is kinda needed, at least for my ioniq with the charging port on the side.

Overall, very happy with the service and speed.
    Screenshot-2019-08-10-19-36-19.jpg
    heads and tails generator

While maingau gave me a card, I couldn't use it. I tried to scan it on the charger but it failed both times. In the end I just started the charger from the app based on the charger id.

The cable is much heavier/thicker/less flexible than the ecars ones, so parking to the side on the charger (not inside the bay) is kinda needed, at least for my ioniq with the charging port on the side.

Is the Maingau app, in English, and easy to follow

k123456 wrote: »
    Is the Maingau app, in English, and easy to follow

Yes, yes for the most part, and yes pretty much easy to follow. The maingau card kinda threw me off, but once you stick to the app it's kinda self explanatory - either find the station on the map and activate charging via there, or there's a charge now link in the app which allows you to input the charger id, or use NFC on your phone or scan a QR code on the charger to start charging.

I don't understand why you paid so little. The pricing on their website is clear: 35c/kwh (+5c/kWh because we're not in Germany, and we are in the other / foreign category) + 10c/minute if you're hogging the charger for over an hour.

Linky

I don't understand why you paid so little. The pricing on their website is clear: 35c/kwh (+5c/kWh because we're not in Germany, and we are in the other / foreign category) + 10c/minute if you're hogging the charger for over an hour.

Linky
    Oh I agree with you, but I'm not complaining.
    I'll be calling in again tomorrow doing the same thing so I'll report back with the results then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Did you register the card in the APP after you received it ? 
    Otherwise it won't work.

Advertisement