Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jesus Wept! THAT Hurt!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

had to stop reading after the 4th post, these types of threads give me the eeby jeebies

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Aka 'suicide cable', often used to illegally hook up a generator to house wiring.

Plugging it into one half of a double socket to power the (presumably not connected to anything) other half is rather 'special'. Creative, but not in a good way.

That reminds me of a physics experiment I conducted in the kitchen when I was a kid.

Connected live and neutral cores of a 13A cable plugged into the kitchen wall socket to either end of a piece of broken glass, held the glass over the hob, thermal runaway melts glass just before fuse blows.

That is right up there with my other teen experiments: self-anesthesia using chloroform stolen from the chem lab, and an attempt to make gunpowder while squatting on the flat roof of our house extension (fortunately my ingredients were too coarsely powdered to generate a proper bang).

It's amazing I'm still alive...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Classic pushing a chisel (sharp) and holding the end of the piece of wood I was pushing into. Chisel came to the surface, skated down the piece of wood and embedded itself deep into the bone on the tip of my middle finger. I pulled my hand away, fingers pointed downward and the chisel just hung there Edward Scissors hand-like whilst I went white. A good count of 5 until the pain started.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

^^^ Ouch!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

Always do a risk assessment.
    Even if it's everyday chore.
    Working, driving,craft work,
    Accidents do happen.

• Advertisement

Well, Mr Elf 'n safety; I just finished staining a couple of foot of plank! Two and a half pints inside me. Absolutely No 'Risk Assessment', beyond shutting the Dogs in here!

Whaddya say to that?! (Other than it makes for a boring thread) :p

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

I got a kickback on my tablesaw a couple of months back while running some rebates around drawer components.

The workpiece was fired into my stomach like a bullet and brought me to my knees, winded but thoroughly grateful that a few scrapes and some bruising were the only visible evidence.

This is the piece that hit me: https://www.instagram.com/p/BylKkfLipBx/

I've never forgotten, when I was at school. The woodwork room had a big old table saw in a small side room. The room had doors with that wired glass in them. Ye basically walked into the room and were standing at the saw, good to go.

One day, some of us gathered behind the teacher, Mr Jeffries, as he was preparing to cut some wood. He asked us to please move out. Then he showed us the state of the window in the door we'd just come through. Looked like it had stopped a round! Right about face height too.

Sure enough, Chillyspoon; Bit of wood. Knot, perhaps? But, he said, from that day on, he'd Never again operate that saw with anyone else in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭listermint

doesnt take a note, slight change in your stance can make it bind and presto wham.

done it myself before. Nice crack in the stomach of a piece. Joyful. Thats why i always tell people they are a bloody dangerous machine and should really be used for small repetitive work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I was removing a part of the tractor one day and it was particularly resilient.

3/4 drive Tbar and a 2ft length of gunbarrel pulling and pulling with one foot on the wheel for leverage.

Socket slipped, came towards my face, turned face away but got clocked on temple and was out cold for 30minutes.

• Advertisement

:eek: F***ing hell, Brian! I think you just won todays cigar with That one!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If we are including vehicles then one of many I have was years back changing the clutch on an old (rear wheel drive) Viva. To do that you had to drop the prop shaft off first. I was working jammed under the car with the barest space to work in (car was on axle stands) and after taking of the 4 nuts from the flange that connected it to universal joint at back of the differential it wasn't moving. It was getting late and I was getting p!ssed off. I squeezed further under the car so I could get right under the prop shaft and get both hands on it. I pulled and pulled until with most of my weight hanging off it I pulled the shaft down on my body and smashed myself in the face with the flange on the universal joint. Big black eye and bruised cheek, very nearly took my eye out. For those that haven't worked on old rear wheel drive cars the prop shaft is a heavy steel tube in this case about 4 inches in diameter and 3ft long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

my3cents wrote: »
    If we are including vehicles then one of many I have was years back changing the clutch on an old (rear wheel drive) Viva. To do that you had to drop the prop shaft off first. I was working jammed under the car with the barest space to work in (car was on axle stands) and after taking of the 4 nuts from the flange that connected it to universal joint at back of the differential it wasn't moving. It was getting late and I was getting p!ssed off. I squeezed further under the car so I could get right under the prop shaft and get both hands on it. I pulled and pulled until with most of my weight hanging off it I pulled the shaft down on my body and smashed myself in the face with the flange on the universal joint. Big black eye and bruised cheek, very nearly took my eye out. For those that haven't worked on old rear wheel drive cars the prop shaft is a heavy steel tube in this case about 4 inches in diameter and 3ft long.

Got as far as Axel stands and tough to myself at least he can still type using his nose probarbly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Got as far as Axel stands and tough to myself at least he can still type using his nose probarbly.

I still have all my fingers but you have reminded me at about 7 years old I managed to slip with a brand new craft knife and slash the muscle below my thumb about half an inch deep. Lucky it was "only" into the meaty bit. The scar has almost gone, just looking at it now and its only a fine pale inch long line. I can remember when any fortune teller seeing it would have said I wouldn't make it to my tenth birthday . I tried to hide it from my parents but the blood soon gave it away (seem to remember being told not to do what I had just done :rolleyes:), can't remember much more except I didn't have stitches and it healed surprisingly quickly.

I was a week long resident in the burns unit in St. James, having badly burned my legs whilst carrying out a health and safety survey (I kid you not) on equipment in work.

You could smoke in the TV room in the burns unit in those days and that's were we all hung out, telling each other our respective burns stories ('cept for the ones who were really badly burned and simply lay in their rooms moaning between morphine shots. Oh god, those moans and the relief we all felt when the morphine shot kicked in).

Anyway, foreign lad wanders over to join us for a smoke. He's neck to toe in bandages: body, arms, hands and fingers, legs, feet and toes. But he's not in a jocker.

We ask him his burn story. In halting English he explained that he had a temp job doing grass cutting during that summer. He was filling the petrol lawnmower and managed to splosh petrol all over his jeans. He's working away and begins to notice the petrol is irritating his skin.

So he starts taking off his jeans with a view to mowing trouserless. As he does so, his lighter falls from his pocket, hits the mower gives off a spark. Trousers go up in flames along with the rest of him.

As he is telling us this story, in his broken Ingleeesh, he takes his own cigarette lighter and motions it fast towards the table in front of him to show us the angle it fell at that day, such as to spark. He hits the table with it, the lighter lights up and sets fire to the frayed bandages dressing the tips of his fingers - him then hopping around shouting "Aarrggghh" and waving his hands and fanning things into more flames.

That's a chap to steer a wide berth around in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭cletus

Ok, not sure if this one counts or not, but here goes.

15 years old, up a step ladder clipping the hedge at the side of the house. I was leaning away from the ladder to try clip a bit more before I had to get down and move along.

The ladder started to lift onto two feet, so I quickly leaned back in to avoid falling. However, I leaned too far and fell headfirst over the top of the ladder.

I put my arm out to break my fall, but I broke my arm instead, then continued to the ground, landing on my head and knocking myself out.

When I came to, my right arm had a 90° bend halfway between my wrist and elbow, and my palm was facing up, but should have been facing down.

To top it all off, I was lying on top of the clipping shears, with the blades running across my stomach. I very nearly eviscerated myself.

Ended up having an operation to put in a plate in my arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

listermint wrote: »
    doesnt take a note, slight change in your stance can make it bind and presto wham.

done it myself before. Nice crack in the stomach of a piece. Joyful. Thats why i always tell people they are a bloody dangerous machine and should really be used for small repetitive work.

+1.

In my case the classic example of doing the last piece in a set (of 10), a concentration lapse and I'm sure that I either let the workpiece drift a fraction away from the fence or lift slightly.. that's all it takes; kablamo!

Do we do close but no cigar?

I jumped down from a height of about a metre and a half recently, bending my knees so as to end up in a deep crouch to soften the impact.

The padsaw I had, point upwards, in my front work trouser pocket caught the edge of my tee shirt and ripped a hole in it. Had it caught my belly instead it would have gone in to the hilt.

O'er

^^^ Ye get a cigar, just for mentioning " Pad "!

(It's an 'in' joke, from another board ;))

Advertisement