Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jesus Wept! THAT Hurt!!!

Options
  • 28-07-2019 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

:D Come on; Ye can't make an omelette without breaking eggs. We 'Do It Ourselves'. We use tools. Sharp. Nasty. Pointy. Cutty things. 'It happens! Let's hear about the times!

Nothing too graphic. Let's keep it 'amusing'. Stuff we can look back on and laughingly say; " I'll Never be doing That again!!! ".

I'll kick us off. Couple of memorable acts of unfathomable stupidity.

I'm nineteen. Plenty old enough to know what's what. I'm sat, alone, in a big armchair. In a room. What could possibly go wrong?

And, I'm staring at this hole. Low in the wall. Just near my comfy chair.

I don't remember why, now. But, the skirting board and a plug socket had been torn away. Now, I'm focused on this hole in the wall, where that used to be.

I remember there were three, taped up, spikes of wire. Coming out the end of a standard, white plastic sheaf. Obviously a work in progress then. That'll be going into the back of the modern, new plug socket.

But, never mind that. What's caught my eye is the dark, gnarly, Thick end of a twisted copper wire. Back there, in the black sootiness of this ancient hole in the brick work.

Copper. My life revolved around copper. Copper was Money! And, I wondered how much of the wonderful stuff was in there? If I got a Really good grip on that, pulled, hard and steadily? How much might I be able to draw from these old foundations?

I leaned toward it .....

Ye can guess the rest :D Kherist almighty! I have Never got such a belt, before or since! It nearly took my Arm off!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Just the other day. Using my 48mm Hole Saw Vs 1" Plank. On an el cheapo 'work mate' effort. Scary!

Drill's doing alright. But, saw's seemingly taking for ever, to get through this plank.

Saw's screaming. Smoke's issuing. I'm sweating and swearing.

Then, I have this idea: As I'm going in at a slight angle, I know the saw is gonna break through at one side of the circle before the other. Yeah?

So; If I can discern just how far the first edge is through ....?

And, I reach beneath the table, to feel for the edge of the ~ turned off ~ Hole Cutter!!!

The pain just Wouldn't stop!!! All the running cold taps in the world weren't making That bad boy go away! And the Blister, the next day?! Something to behold! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Consider yourself a lucky man.

Mate of mine was working on an ESB powerline when lightening hit the line somewhere. He couldn't feel his arms for about 6 hours. Said it was like being hit in the chest with a sledgehammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm a plumber over 30 years. I've drilled through pipes and cables. I've gotten more electric shocks than I care to remember, most the fault of the homeowner fussing about & saying that they turned off the isolation switch when they didn't. Several times an electric shower has been live even though the isolation switch is off. I've cut myself hundreds & hundreds of times on broken tiles. Always keep paper stitches in the van. I rarely use a hammer but I have hit my thumb a time or two. I've burnt myself on hot drill bits. Come close to cutting the tip off my finger a few times. It's all so run of the mill for most tradesmen that very few individual cases will spring to mind.

Not me. But, I've always relished this one! :D Donkeys years ago, living in a rented flatlet, our landlady had a crew of Evangelical (Happy, Clappy type) 'Born Again Christian' builders practically move in with us, as they carried out works on our place.

It was 'Testing' .....

Might well have been the exact same crew I later heard about, operating in the same city? I like to think so. One of them, in particular, seemed to have a hard time keeping up the 'Thing'. I reckon this was him!

Seems they're working in a roof space. Matey is just going in, or coming down. Maybe he's exchanging notes about the Glory of Jesus with his mate up top?

Either way, he has his finger tips on the sill of the big hatch. Yes. When the big hatch slams down!

They reckon it was like he was starting Sanchin Kata! Long, deep, hissing inhalation. Head back. Eyes rolling.

Then, his chin hit his chest. Face absolutely scarlet. Snapped back. Hissing through gritted teeth. Eyes clenched shut.

Time stood still.

Then, his eyes snapped open. Wide and staring. His lips trembled. Opened. As he gasped in air .....

" PRAISE THE LORD!!! "
    Knowing what a nasty piece of work he really was, beneath this thin and newly acquired veneer, to this day, I always get a good belly laugh out of the memory of that incident! :)

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm a plumber over 30 years ..... It's all so run of the mill for most tradesmen that very few individual cases will spring to mind.

:confused: Sorry. I thought this was the DIY board ..... Us 'Have A Go Heroe's'. Not you time served, DeWalt packing pro's. Bet ye hair shirt is a genuine Snickers? ;)

Spoke to a Plumber one time though. Mentioned how it has always struck me as a trade I could have lived with. Generally ensuring ye'd get home at the end of the day ...

He told me about the time he was on top of a twenty odd story tower block. Pitched roof that ran right down to the exterior wall of the place. He's shimmying down there, to have a look at the Stink Pipe.

He's got down there and is sat, on the edge of the wall. Legs dangling over the abyss, with the top of the stink pipe between his legs.

He's trying not to notice the ant like people below. Concentrates on the pipe. Wiggles it in his hands.

And, I'm quite sure I must have gone pale. I know I almost threw up, when he described how it came away in his hands! :eek:

Ye know that ghastly sensation, when ye whole system automatically struggles to maintain balance? Very muscles of the bum ye sitting on desperately firing messages to ye synapses. Begging brain to communicate, fast enough, with spine, legs, Everybody!!! ..... He couldn't just Drop the bloody thing!

Locksmithing appealed more, after hearing that one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

Ouch, Ouch and Ouch.
    Childhood lessons never learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Driving a decking screw into one of the planks, the drill bit slipped put of the screw head.
    With the pressure i had on the drill, it carried down and before i knew it the drill bit was ripping through the tip of one of my fingers.
    Didn't go fully through, just ripped up the nail.
    Bad but not horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Was working on a site a few years back where the apprentice alarm fitter drilled straight through the middle of this thumb nail and into the steel he was originally trying to drill into.

The problem... The only way to resolve the issue was to reverse the drill or undo the chuck and slide his thumb back over the drill bit.

Can't remember what he chose.

Oooohh, yeahh! This is what we're here for! :D

Carry on, lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Something really tame that bothers me is all the swarf you get attached to modern screws.

Drive a few screws with a electric drill/driver and the tips of your fingers end up full of tiny bits of metal swarf. Rediculus to have to wear gloves to hold a screw.

On a more cutting note. I've planned the tops of my fingers off twice. Only just the the very tips but takes ages to heal. Don't try to plane down a bit of wood to finish a job in a hurry by holding it in one hand and the plane in the other, should be obvious :o

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    Something really tame that bothers me is all the swarf you get attached to modern screws.

Well played, sir! And I honestly thought it was just a Me thing!

A day on the nest boxes, and the tip of the index finger of my left hand is a prickly bloody ruin!

I use those lovely, black, 'Dry Lining screws. But, yeah; End up with a finger tip that could hold a magnet!

Stigura wrote: »
    Well played, sir! And I honestly thought it was just a Me thing!

A day on the nest boxes, and the tip of the index finger of my left hand is a prickly bloody ruin!

I use those lovely, black, 'Dry Lining screws. But, yeah; End up with a finger tip that could hold a magnet!

I've just put up a shed extension and used the green coated decking screws, not a problem with them at all. Smallest size I can get them (use for sidings) is number 8 x 2 inches which might be OK for nest boxes if you are using half inch or thicker plank.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The thing I really hate is the foresight ignored.

That quiet little voice in my head saying "don't do that, something bad will happen".

Case in point, hanging solid steel guttering brackets on the top rung of a 4m ladder. Little voice says no, stupid says go.

Move the ladder to the next spot, bracket falls off and hits me on the noggin after accelerating for 2m. The scream could be heard for miles.

No blood though, so it doesn't count.

Lumen wrote: »
    The thing I really hate is the foresight ignored.

That quiet little voice in my head saying "don't do that, something bad will happen".

Just what happened each time I planed my finger tips second time doubly so :o

Lumen wrote: »
    No blood though, so it doesn't count.

Oh yes it does! Because I'm sat here, PMSL! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Ive somehow managed to avoid injury over the years even with the countless stupid things i did.

I think the worst has been stepping on a dirty rusty nail. Mainly the inconvenience of having to go and get the multiple tetanus vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Going into a Mains Supply with a Kangoo, the heat welded the top of the breaker bit and took a circular arc out of the tip.

Scary - yes multiplied by 100.

Lucky ?

Yes, but the earth in the cable did its job luckily for me safety standards are what they are.

Injured? no just my brain and ego were severely hampered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

From a chop saw leaving a scar between my thumb ands index finger because dum dum here tied up the blade when the guard spring broke. 10 stiches
    Skill saw ran back up over my leg when a 9x2 joist binded and saw jumped 12 stitches
    Cutting trees in the teleporter bucket cut a branch that wwas forced down by the bucket it sprung back burst my lip open 8 stitches
    More recently fell of tressle scaffold can't for the life of me think how ... discolated shoulder .

Numerous splinters Stanley blade nicks. bastid screw swarf splinters. electric shocks sprained foot hit the wrong nail a few times also
    Reading that back I should really try another career.

Reading that back I should really try another career.

Thanks! I was Literally sipping my tea as I read that!

Not DIY related. But, put me down as: " Nearly choked to death, while reading a forum post and drinking tea! " :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Not me, but a very very good friend of mine was using an electric planer to level down an out of line timber stud on a wall he wanted straight and level to tile.
    Long story short, he was holding the stud that he was planing, he slipped, and ran the planer straight across the palm of his hand, resulting in skin and blood everywhere.
    I still squirm when I remember it, I finished off the job for him while he was in bandages.

• Advertisement

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Not me, but a very very good friend of mine was using an electric planer to level down an out of line timber stud on a wall he wanted straight and level to tile.
    Long story short, he was holding the stud that he was planing, he slipped, and ran the planer straight across the palm of his hand, resulting in skin and blood everywhere.
    I still squirm when I remember it, I finished off the job for him while he was in bandages.

Thats what I have done to the tips of my fingers twice with a hand plane. At least doing that has prevented me from holding a piece of wood in one hand while planing it with an electric planer in the other. PLenty of times I've told myself "clamp that before you put the electric plane on it, its just not worth the risk".

So two other nasty ones with 4 1/2 inch angle grinders. First sharpening a pair of shears can't remember exactly what happened but I ripped my shirt into shreds and nearly ground my left tit off. Second I nearly took my balls off. Was off to the tip with a car load of rubbish and decided to take some old metal box section I had. Used the grinder one handed on the steel on the ground I was kneeling and the box section pinched the disk which flew backwards between my legs just missing my balls while grinding an interesting bloody line up up my left buttock and ruining a pair of trousers and my day.

btw anyone know why we are so keen to show what idiots we can be :confused::o

my3cents wrote: »
    I ripped my shirt into shreds and nearly ground my left tit off. Second I nearly took my balls off.

I feel ye pain, brother!!!

Learning Nothing from the butcher who thought he could do my job; I decided I could dispense with the Farrier! Bought myself one of these four inch discs with nasty, raised metal snags all over them. Remove hoof like no body's business!

But, my back's knackered, so, I'm like kneeling down beside this donkey. Got his back foot resting on my thigh. Holding that steady with one hand. Trying to operate the grinder with the other .....

Sort of writes itself, doesn't it? A perfect storm :o

Both mine happened working with my dad who was a carpenter.

First was when I was 7 and up on scaffolding helping to paint an extension. One of the lads also working on the job went to get on the same plank and it just snapped.
    I ended up covered in paint (dad still laughs about it as all he could see was my eyes) and a sprained ankle. Still think it's the reason I am not great with heights and the ankle still gets turned very easily.

Second time was when I was 16 and working with him and his gang and got stuck being dogs body for the plasterer. Stood on a nail that was in a puddle of wet plaster. Had to work for another two weeks at the same job with the same boots, and ended up with my foot looking like it was rotting off with dermatitis. Not the a it's just a little itchy type of flare up, more bleeding, raw skin, nearly septic, couldn't walk on it for three months type.
    I still get a flare up on my hands every now and again even now, especially when I might spill some finish like danish oil on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

An Electrician friend of mine was doing a job and has to drill through a foot thick wall in the basement of an old hotel. So off he goes with his hammer drill, get half way in and half the hotel suddenly goes black. Realising he had drilled through something serious, he pulls the drill out and out comes the drill bit, smoking red hot. He doesn't know what to do, so sticks it in an open can of paint lying nearby and the paint proceeds to burst into flames :D He managed to extinguish the flames and made a hasty exit.

Turns out he had drilled straight through a major ESB cable so was lucky to be alive!

Cheif Kaiser; What with you, and Listermint, up at eighteen there ..... It makes me Really happy to know for a fact that the only electrics, in my place, are about a decade old and all channeled through visible conduit!

Having said that? Later today, I must try to find the photo I think I have, of the utter carnage I caused with a single panel pin! :eek:

Nobody got hurt. But, the electricity switch board declared they were treating it an an emergency.

A seriously time served and incredibly experienced and qualified Spark then asked if he could have the physical evidence. He wanted to use it, to show apprentices what one imbecile could manage, with one tiny, metal spike :o

Not one of my proudest moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,943 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Not my fault and didn't cause injury - but this was about 12 years ago, a while after we bought a house from the DIYer from hell.

I was cutting into the crappy laminate floor in the box bedroom to remove it, when there was a bang - but how? The circular saw was barely going into the underlay.

Turned out the bedside lamp on the wall was getting its supply from a spur off the nearest socket - using ALARM WIRE running unprotected between the foam underlay and the laminate - then into the back of the socket, unfused of course.

Between that and a few other things it was amazing nobody got killed or the place burnt down. We got the whole house rewired shortly afterwards.

Life ain't always empty.

Not my fault and didn't cause injury - but this was about 12 years ago, a while after we bought a house from the DIYer from hell.

I was cutting into the crappy laminate floor in the box bedroom to remove it, when there was a bang - but how? The circular saw was barely going into the underlay.

Turned out the bedside lamp on the wall was getting its supply from a spur off the nearest socket - using ALARM WIRE running unprotected between the foam underlay and the laminate - then into the back of the socket, unfused of course.

Between that and a few other things it was amazing nobody got killed or the place burnt down. We got the whole house rewired shortly afterwards.

I got asked once by a neighbor to help out another local, an old guy, to put in central heating. Hmmmmm :rolleyes: Anyway I wandered along and at least stopped the old guy adding a plug socket to power the boiler by putting a double socket on the wall and powering it from another socket by plugging in an extension lead he had made up by putting a 13amp plug on each end :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,943 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Aka 'suicide cable', often used to illegally hook up a generator to house wiring.

Plugging it into one half of a double socket to power the (presumably not connected to anything) other half is rather 'special'. Creative, but not in a good way.

Life ain't always empty.

Aka 'suicide cable', often used to illegally hook up a generator to house wiring.

Plugging it into one half of a double socket to power the (presumably not connected to anything) other half is rather 'special'. Creative, but not in a good way.

Never given it a name but that one certainly fits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Didn't hurt as such but could have been an absolute disaster.

Was fitting an extractor fan, the type that comes on automatically when you open a fake press above the cooker. I had it fitted but it was slightly crooked so i loosened the screws and with the screw driver in my hand i pulled on it to adjust. Due to not having a proper grip and it being very tightly wedged in, my hand slipped off and i stabbed myself quite forcefully, right on the bony edge of my eye socket.

A couple of mill to the side and i'd have punctured my eyeball with the screwdriver!:eek::eek:

Advertisement