Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dead Redemption 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

If you have the game I dont see why you wouldn't give it a shot. I enjoyed it but found it frustrating at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

It's a strange one. I got it when it first came out and played non-stop for 2-3 weeks every night. Felt like I was really enjoying it at the time. But then I remember getting frustrated by a mission and some hunting tasks, then I got distracted by another game - many months later I've not put it back on once and don't have a huge inclination to

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Juglooma wrote: »
    FYI Red Dead is 10e on PSN for the next 2 days. After that it goes back up to 30e .
    I just got it again yesterday to play through as I don't have my xbox with me.

Coming up as €39.99 for me? €10 is stupid cheap, can get €15 cash in CEX for the physical

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I never got the criticism of it being 'slow'.
    I got used to that pace and enjoyed the open world, especially hunting and fishing and stranger missions. That's really where the game shines - in its open world and attention to detail.
    What I grew fed up with is the lack of fast travel (player shouldn't be forced to explore your world) and the tutorial-like nature of the main missions. Tutorials are supposed to be at the beginning of the game where you learn the basic mechanics so that you can implement them in main missions as second nature but because Rockstar used the main campaign as an animations showcase every. single. mission needed the game to walk you through it because every single action Arthur took required completely different controls. Playing this game without HUD would be a nightmare.

I think the 'slow' complaint comes from how at times, arthur is forced to walk at an absolute snails pace through camp / to an objective. I can see why they did it, as it would completely break immersion (this probably isnt the correct descriptor - maybe 'cinematic vision') to have you sprinting around everywhere, jumping on boxes, standing on campfires like you see in pretty much every other videogame. This forced pace is jarring when comparing it to what gamers are used to - getting from point A to point B as quickly as possible, then mashing the 'skip cutscene' button to get back to the shooting.
    Once I accepted that this is the pace they've intended, I found it a bit easier to live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The smallest quality of life additions would have made the game far more enjoyable. Instead there was far too much of a focus on pseudo-realism, making the controls a mess as you only have so many buttons to do a lot of unnecessary (to the player) yet absolutely required (to the character) actions, needless maintenance systems making inventory a mess, and what amounts to punishment for trying to step outside the lines of what the game wants you to do.

It focused so much on realism that the most real thing the game portrays is that living in the Wild West wasn't fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I never got the criticism of it being 'slow'.
    I got used to that pace and enjoyed the open world, especially hunting and fishing and stranger missions. That's really where the game shines - in its open world and attention to detail.
    What I grew fed up with is the lack of fast travel (player shouldn't be forced to explore your world) and the tutorial-like nature of the main missions. Tutorials are supposed to be at the beginning of the game where you learn the basic mechanics so that you can implement them in main missions as second nature but because Rockstar used the main campaign as an animations showcase every. single. mission needed the game to walk you through it because every single action Arthur took required completely different controls. Playing this game without HUD would be a nightmare.

Yeah agree with all that. Had no issue with it being slow, its a western! Its heartbreaking though when you travel 10 minutes on horseback to start a mission, get 2 minutes of generic cut scenes and then have to travel ten minutes on horseback to start the mission, a lot of times back to the same area you were at. No fast travel is a crazy decision.

2nd time around is quicker. #Don'tHelpRainsFall

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Coming up as €39.99 for me? €10 is stupid cheap, can get €15 cash in CEX for the physical

Yeah, €39.99 for me

€10 a typo??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The forced walking in the camp probably wouldn't have bothered people if you didn't have to spend about 10 minutes beforehand just riding to it. By the time you get into the camp you would understandably be in a hurry. I think there's a good argument to be made from those who didn't enjoy the game as much as I did that it was death by a thousand cuts.

Yeah, it's different not having fast travel in the likes of GTA because at least driving the cars is fun, plenty to see and do, listen to the radio etc. Driving always feels like an activity itself. The horse riding in this, bar the occasional scripted or random event, is just boring. You barely have to pick a direction as the horse will follow the path, so you're just tapping X/A to gallop, hoping your horse's stamina doesn't drop too much, and trying to feed it if it does. It's just a chore that kills the game and makes a better fast travel system all the more vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah, it's different not having fast travel in the likes of GTA because at least driving the cars is fun, plenty to see and do, listen to the radio etc. Driving always feels like an activity itself. The horse riding in this, bar the occasional scripted or random event, is just boring. You barely have to pick a direction as the horse will follow the path, so you're just tapping X/A to gallop, hoping your horse's stamina doesn't drop too much, and trying to feed it if it does. It's just a chore that kills the game and makes a better fast travel system all the more vital.

Again, I think This didn't grind on me as much as I only played about an hour or so at a time. Its certainly not a game to play for a 4-5 hour stint, as those flaws become a much bigger problem at that level of exposure.

Personally, I could have done entirely without horse bonding, grooming, feeding, etc. and the core system for arthurs health seemed like it was only there
    to emphasise how sick he was in the last chapter by having them all essentially constantly depleted

• Registered Users Posts: 11,668 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm still hoping for 'Paint Your Wagon' DLC.

• Advertisement

I wish you could Skyfall

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,828 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think it's worse to play it in short bursts as the game wastes your time so much you end up getting nothing done.

And that's my biggest problem with the game. It just totally wastes your time with it's indulgences. It has absolutely no respect for the players time and is so caught up on telling it's story and being realistic that it does it at the expense of being fun. Maybe I'd be fine with this if it had some artistic merit but hardly a slow moving Tarkovsky masterpiece.

It's just so caught up in showing off the detail of it's world and story it forgets to be a videogame and fails at being both fun and engaging. It's just a bad game unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I enjoyed the game. Was a bit annoying when Arthur got sick as eating food didn't have as good an effect but that was part of the story so not much else you could do.

Don't like online though, but admittedly I only played it once after I had finished the game and never went back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,371 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think it's worse to play it in short bursts as the game wastes your time so much you end up getting nothing done.

And that's my biggest problem with the game. It just totally wastes your time with it's indulgences. It has absolutely no respect for the players time and is so caught up on telling it's story and being realistic that it does it at the expense of being fun. Maybe I'd be fine with this if it had some artistic merit but hardly a slow moving Tarkovsky masterpiece.

It's just so caught up in showing off the detail of it's world and story it forgets to be a videogame and fails at being both fun and engaging. It's just a bad game unfortunately.

Complete nonsense.

I did a second play through which was played in thirty minute to one hour bursts per day(I don't have a huge amount of time on my hands while we're on the topic of time) and I was well able to enjoy myself and not feel bogged down in what ever felt like situations I was guided into against my will by the nefarious time wasting department at rockstar games.

To say this is a bad game is to over value your own opinion.
    The game may not be your cup of tea but it isn't inherently bad because you didn't enjoy it.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,495 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I loved it. I haven't looked at it since completing it though.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,828 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

nullzero wrote: »
    Complete nonsense.

I did a second play through which was played in thirty minute to one hour bursts per day(I don't have a huge amount of time on my hands while we're on the topic of time) and I was well able to enjoy myself and not feel bogged down in what ever felt like situations I was guided into against my will by the nefarious time wasting department at rockstar games.

To say this is a bad game is to over value your own opinion.
    The game may not be your cup of tea but it isn't inherently bad because you didn't enjoy it.

It's not that it's bad, I really didn't enjoy it myself, it's that there are a vast amount of games well worth your time that don't waste yours like this one this. There's plenty of times a game has sold and gotten good reviews based solely on hype and I'm filing this in with GTA4 and MGS4 as in that category. I expect plenty of articles on how it failed as a game over the next few years.

I've heard different opinions on it. Some say its good others say the first was better. Whats everyones opinion?
    I'm glad I played it, was easily worth the purchase price. I will give it at least one more playthrough in the future, maybe on next-gen.

Definitely not perfect - a lot of the gameplay mechanics could have done with more thought. Plenty of annoyances. The pacing of the story was off - towards the end of the game I had my fill and just wanted to be done with it.

There's not enough negatives to make it a "bad game" though. It just didn't quite live up to the hype. Still a staggering achievement.

Theres hours of fun to be had with all the cheats on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Always should go without saying that the letters ‘IMO’ should be assumed with any expression of opinion on the Internet ;)

I firmly believe Red Dead Redemption 2 is a pretty bad game. I think a lot of talented people put a lot of time and effort into it (often an unreasonable amount of time going by the reports of working practices at Rockstar). And there are many things to admire about their work. But ultimately I felt the game had no regard for my personal time commitment, had no idea how to be an interesting game beyond a very lavish tech demo, and struggled to achieve its artistic goals in an interesting way. It was a deeply flawed game that felt like a backwards step in open world design, and a chore to play. That, for me, classified as a bad game, and I respect that others disagree.

IMO ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Barlett

I think it's one of the finest games I've ever played to be honest. Though I mainly play games for cinematic experiences and storytelling, love the slow nature, epic feel of it. So different from so much other stuff out there, I only have time for 2-4 hours gaming a week mostly so I found it perfect for doing a mission saving and leaving it there, like reading a chapter in a book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Your way wide of the mark calling it a bad game.
    In the context of your opinion it is a bad game. Which is different.

20silkcut wrote: »
    Your way wide of the mark calling it a bad game.
    In the context of your opinion it is a bad game. Which is different.

My opinion is de facto in my opinion as in my opinion I have great taste.

Which is all subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It has absolutely no respect for the players time and is so caught up on telling it's story and being realistic that it does it at the expense of being fun.
    But ultimately I felt the game had no regard for my personal time commitment,

+100 on these

The game should be getting more critisism for its flaws, no matter how good a game is there shouldnt be parts of a game that are not enjoyable. Even those who enjoyed it admit the opening was a little bit of a slog, sometimes you punch someone by mystake as you were trying to do something else due to the controls been a little fiddely at first and lack of fast travel is irritating after a while. I'm struggling to get into the game at the moment as its definitely less enjoyable in small doses. There's a lot to like about the game including the story and it looks magnificent. I'm not going to give up on it until I'll given it a few long stretches of playing but if I do end up completing it the game will have the extra cost of wasting some of my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Like others have said, there's a beautiful environment, fantastic voice acting and a pretty good story, but that shouldn't preclude it from being criticised because it does have its issues. Pacing, lack of fast travel, pointless hunting really, finicky controls. Compared to my personal GOTY last year, God of War, its issues still stand out. I know God of War had issues, but I can't recall them as it was just that good overall. With this, even though I enjoyed most my time with it, I can remember the issues. I reckon the PS5 release of this will have all the issues ironed out and it will be a better game for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭jones

The problem with games like Red dead is that who wants excessive realism? Life is generally boring. Doing chores etc around the camp were boring. I loved the game but it definitely didn't land with me for the first while. Infact i dropped it half way through and platinum'd spiderman before going back to it.

Technically and story wise its amazing, best open world ever IMO but there definitely was something about the slower pace and lack of fast travel that didn't sit right with me. I'd love to see what the PS5 could do with it. I played it on a pro on 1080p plasma and it was stunning at times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The problem with the realism in RDR2 is that it’s still full of all sorts of nonsense video game logic. Things like the ‘cores’ are just bizarre, half-realised comprises. You still have magically reappearing horses after missions; a capacity to take dozens of bullets; a massive inventory; a debilitating illness that has few gameplay consequences beyond making the cores lose energy slightly faster etc etc. There are mechanics aimed at making these seem more ‘realistic’, but they don’t commit fully. Many of them - like browsing catalogues in shops - are just slower versions of what you get in other games rather than properly immersive details. So you’re left in a weird purgatory where there are all these chunky, slow mechanics in aid of ‘realism’ married to incredibly unrealistic and fantastical pieces of pure video game nonsense (not that there’s anything wrong with video game nonsense... it just sits badly here).

I’m playing Pathologic 2 at the moment, and that’s a super demanding game with infuriating survival mechanics. It’s very much ‘not fun’. But - and this is key - it’s impeccably, determinedly designed to be ‘not fun’. It’s full of abrasive, irritating mechanics but all in favour of always making the player feel unsafe and on edge. It’s a game with a clear, unapologetic goal and commits fully to it. While I’m not a big fan of some of the choices they’ve made (****ing hunger gauges) it is a game with a consistent and unique vision that everything is designed around. RDR2, in contrast, is just a bit of a mess that never decides what it really wants to be.

I wasn't even particularly fond of the open world in RDR2. Sure it looked gorgeous but it was just filled with systems and details for the sake of them. The majority of them added nothing to the game. I think Breath of the Wild really shone a light on how bad the open world is. Every system in that game feeds into the game and just games it so much fun to play around and experiment in it's little playground. I'd rather have the fire propagation, wind, temperature, food and physics of BotW which really added to the experience rather than shrinking horse testicles and piercing arrows that penetrate wood more than normal arrows.

It's just a lesson in hubris, where a developer flush with cash and believing in their own hype added stuff into the game because they could without thinking why it needed to be in the game and what it added. What we ended up with was a very pretty simulation that wasn't much fun to explore.

Advertisement